|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays Eleanor an unexpected visit?
2. When Eleanor increases her therapy sessions, how often does she attend them?
3. What is one of Eleanor’s favorite hobbies to do alone?
4. What emotion does Maria tell Eleanor is good?
5. What does Raymond prepare for Eleanor to help her feel better and get over her hangover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Raymond and Eleanor bond after Sammy's funeral?
2. What does Eleanor say she is ready to do the day of the big concert?
3. What kind gesture does Eleanor offer toward Raymond when they part ways after Eleanor learns the truth about her mother?
4. What does Raymond ask Eleanor right before they part ways at the end of the novel, and what does this suggest about his feelings for Eleanor?
5. What does Eleanor remember about Marianne, while she is talking with Raymond in the cafe?
6. What does Eleanor discover about her mother and why is this news important?
7. Why does Eleanor feel so much pressure to find a suitable boyfriend, according to the phone conversation with her mother?
8. Why does Eleanor decide to tell Raymond about Marianne and the fire?
9. How does Eleanor react when she wears her new outfit to work and gets attention from her co-workers?
10. Why does Maria tell Eleanor that anger is good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story is told entirely from Eleanor’s perspective. Analyze the author’s choice to tell the story from Eleanor’s point of view. How does viewing the events from Eleanor’s point of view affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor and Raymond develop a close relationship. Analyze whether their relationship is more platonic or romantic.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the significance of the title of the novel. How does the title support the overall narrative tone and theme of emotional healing from mental illness?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)