|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Eleanor’s previous boyfriend?
2. Of what does Eleanor’s mother accuse her of?
3. What does Eleanor do when Sammy is unconscious?
4. Why is Eleanor unable to purchase her alcoholic beverage of choice?
5. What does Eleanor think is a kind of strange mating ritual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What passion does Eleanor discover at the birthday party?
2. What does Eleanor say to the musician on twitter after seeing him at the grocery store?
3. How does Eleanor feel when she returns to her apartment after spending the afternoon with Raymond and his mother?
4. How does Eleanor react to the inquiries posed by Raymond’s mother?
5. What shocking piece of information does Eleanor tell the doctor in her appointment?
6. What information does Eleanor discover about Raymond that she finds confusing?
7. Why does Eleanor leave the birthday party without Raymond?
8. How does Eleanor react when the nail technician discovers the remains of a sandwich hidden in Eleanor’s purse?
9. What does Eleanor’s mother say to her on the phone after Eleanor's manicure, and how does Eleanor react?
10. What is Raymond’s response when hearing of Eleanor’s possible promotion at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eleanor and Raymond develop a close relationship. Analyze whether their relationship is more platonic or romantic.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the significance of the title of the novel. How does the title support the overall narrative tone and theme of emotional healing from mental illness?
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor experiences both physical and emotional changes throughout the novel. In what ways does Eleanor change and in what ways does Eleanor remain the same? How do these changes reflect her emotional healing?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)