|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Helgi when he kills Hunding?
2. What is the first speaker's name?
3. Who is supposedly going to kill Sigurd?
4. Who kills Helgi?
5. What item does Thrym steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the death of Hunding at Helgi's hand and the consequences.
2. How do Sigurd and Regin meet?
3. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
4. How does Loki behave once insulted at Hymir's Hall?
5. How does Gudrun proclaim her innocence?
6. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
7. What things are promised to Frodi from the grinding of the magic grindstone?
8. What fates befall Gunnar and Hogni?
9. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
10. What confession does Hedin make to Helgi? How does Helgi react?
Essay Topic 1
Sigurd's and Brynhild's deaths bring about the aspect of Norse life regarding burial rites. Compare and contrast the burial rites of a hero versus a peasant. What is the major difference? Who typically handles the burial rites? Who was in charge of the funerals for Sigurd and Brynhild?
Essay Topic 2
The stories of the widows at Sigurd's grave show clearly that it was common for people to have a great number of marriages. Having children in each marriage was also common. Discuss the reason for the large number of marriages. How did the marriages typically end? Were the marriages formal or based on an informal commitment? What would be an average number of marriages per person based on the information given?
Essay Topic 3
Many battles ensued due to the killing of one's family members. This is especially true in the case of Gudrun. Examine the life of Gudrun, her losses and vengeance regarding the murder of various family members.
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)