|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will cause the deaths of Regin and Fafnir?
2. Sigurd is suddenly able to understand the language of what animal?
3. What is the name of Hunding's kingdom?
4. Who must Sigurd invoke to ensure victory in battle?
5. What mark is branded onto the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that Guthorm will not be blames for breaking the blood oath?
2. What incident occurs as Helgi rests after killing Hunding?
3. Name some of the girls' great feats before they came to live in Frodi's hall.
4. Describe what happened when King Hraudung's sons went out on a fishing expedition.
5. How does Gudrun proclaim her innocence?
6. What challenge does Hymir issue to Thor to prove his superior strength?
7. Why did Harbard refuse to give Thor passage on the ferry?
8. How and where is Andvari caught by Loki?
9. Where did Oddrun encounter Gunnar? What was he doing at the time?
10. What was seen in Glaumvor's dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many battles ensued due to the killing of one's family members. This is especially true in the case of Gudrun. Examine the life of Gudrun, her losses and vengeance regarding the murder of various family members.
Essay Topic 2
In many of the Eddas, people are turned into or are approached by talking animals. In some cases, people learn to communicate with certain animals by drinking blood or performing other rites. Choose one of the following: Write about the metaphors involved in using birds, such as eagles and ravens, in the Eddas OR how a person or god could be turned into an animal as a punishment, curse or lesson to be learned.
Essay Topic 3
Loki is one of the most famous characters in Norse mythology as well as being extremely powerful. However, stories are often conflicted about Loki's true nature. Write your opinion regarding Loki's character. Was Loki a trickster or a devil? Was Loki mischievous or evil? Give examples of some of Loki's acts.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)