|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Swedish king's only daughter?
2. Who does Thrym want to marry?
3. A man should never be ashamed of which of the following?
4. Who is the first to see Helgi in spirit after he dies?
5. What is the first speaker's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident occurs as Helgi rests after killing Hunding?
2. What happened to Gudrun after she gathered Sigurd's body?
3. The Seeress states that no men will come to see her again until what event?
4. How should a wise Norseman speak?
5. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
6. Where did Oddrun encounter Gunnar? What was he doing at the time?
7. How does Gudrun proclaim her innocence?
8. What confession does Hedin make to Helgi? How does Helgi react?
9. How does Iormunrekk react to the news of the arrival of Sorli and Hamdir?
10. What warning does Fafnir give to Sigurd regarding the treasure? How does Sigurd react to the warning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several Eddas, people had their hearts cut out. What is the purpose of cutting out a person's heart? What was done with the heart once it was removed? Was the action one of spite or magic? Give examples of each and how the act affected the Edda.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the gods Thor and Loki. Include examples of power, bravery and cunning in and out of battle.
Essay Topic 3
Loki is one of the most famous characters in Norse mythology as well as being extremely powerful. However, stories are often conflicted about Loki's true nature. Write your opinion regarding Loki's character. Was Loki a trickster or a devil? Was Loki mischievous or evil? Give examples of some of Loki's acts.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)