|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mark is branded onto the woman?
2. Which animals travel with Thor's party?
3. What is the name of Regin's father?
4. What item does Thrym steal?
5. What is the first speaker's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
2. What do the men do before going up against Sigurd?
3. Why does Thrym steal and hide Thor's hammer? Does Thrym's plan work?
4. Who were some of the casualties in battle? How did the deaths affect Sigrun?
5. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
6. What are Hogni's thoughts about the ring sent by Gudrun?
7. What did Brynhild see in her dream?
8. Which character turns into a eagle? Why does it happen? What is the bird's purpose?
9. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
10. What are Gunnar's thoughts regarding the possible loss of Brynhild?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thievery is a common theme in the Elder Edda. There are many lays and poems that contain tales of thievery among family as well as among enemies. Discuss the theft of treasures from family members versus fallen enemies. Which is the worst crime: stealing from your kin of from a man that you killed? Discuss the moral and practical implications of theft.
Essay Topic 2
The stories of the widows at Sigurd's grave show clearly that it was common for people to have a great number of marriages. Having children in each marriage was also common. Discuss the reason for the large number of marriages. How did the marriages typically end? Were the marriages formal or based on an informal commitment? What would be an average number of marriages per person based on the information given?
Essay Topic 3
Sigurd's and Brynhild's deaths bring about the aspect of Norse life regarding burial rites. Compare and contrast the burial rites of a hero versus a peasant. What is the major difference? Who typically handles the burial rites? Who was in charge of the funerals for Sigurd and Brynhild?
This section contains 1,516 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)