|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy that took pity on the wizard?
2. Who is sent to spend the winter at King Svafnir's hall?
3. Who is Freyr's father?
4. What is the first speaker's name?
5. Which of the Lappish king's sons is captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the prophecy given by Freyia in regards to the gods?
2. What does Sigrun's maid think when she sees Helgi riding into his grave?
3. Why is Skirnir sent to meet with Gerd? How does Gerd react?
4. What do the men do before going up against Sigurd?
5. Who were some of the casualties in battle? How did the deaths affect Sigrun?
6. What advice does Sigrdrifa give to Sigurd on being victorious in battle?
7. Describe what happened when King Hraudung's sons went out on a fishing expedition.
8. Which character turns into a eagle? Why does it happen? What is the bird's purpose?
9. What incident occurs as Helgi rests after killing Hunding?
10. Who were the three Valkyries found spinning near Wolf Lake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the gods Thor and Loki. Include examples of power, bravery and cunning in and out of battle.
Essay Topic 2
As the father of all gods, Odin had powers that were not available to lesser gods. What powers did Odin have? What powers did Frigg have as Odin's wife? Did Odin's children have stronger powers than non-related gods? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the Eddas were obsessed with treasure. Treasure seemed particularly valuable if it was taken from a slain enemy or stolen. What kind of treasure was most often found by victors and common thieves? Who was well known for finding and taking treasure? Which character was the most successful and therefore the wealthiest from taking booty?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)