|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Helgi when he kills Hunding?
2. Who will supposedly be turned into stone at the harbor?
3. Odin shows an unquenchable thirst for which of the following?
4. Sigurd and Regin meet after Sigurd purchases which item?
5. What item does Thor set out to find?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Odin test Geirrod?
2. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
3. What things are promised to Frodi from the grinding of the magic grindstone?
4. What does Gripir predict in regard to the prince's daughter?
5. How does the conflict begin in The Death of Sinfiotli?
6. What is offered to Gunnar and Hogni in exchange for their presence at Atli's hall?
7. What are Hogni's thoughts about the ring sent by Gudrun?
8. Who were the three Valkyries found spinning near Wolf Lake?
9. What topic does Freyia want to discuss? Why?
10. How should a wise Norseman speak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many battles ensued due to the killing of one's family members. This is especially true in the case of Gudrun. Examine the life of Gudrun, her losses and vengeance regarding the murder of various family members.
Essay Topic 2
Sigurd's and Brynhild's deaths bring about the aspect of Norse life regarding burial rites. Compare and contrast the burial rites of a hero versus a peasant. What is the major difference? Who typically handles the burial rites? Who was in charge of the funerals for Sigurd and Brynhild?
Essay Topic 3
Many battles meant that there were many great rulers. The throne often changed hands, father to son, from the conquered to the victor. Choose at least five rulers mentioned in the Eddas. Compare and contrast their power, prowess, and integrity.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)