|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Fafnir attempt to kill Sigurd?
2. Which of Odin's creatures is eager to feast at the battle?
3. Who is Sigrdrifa?
4. What is the name of the woman that enchants Freyr?
5. How old was Helgi when it was decided he would go into battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thrym steal and hide Thor's hammer? Does Thrym's plan work?
2. Why is Skirnir sent to meet with Gerd? How does Gerd react?
3. What is the Edda's view on friendship?
4. Who were the three Valkyries found spinning near Wolf Lake?
5. How and where is Andvari caught by Loki?
6. How does Loki behave once insulted at Hymir's Hall?
7. What topic does Freyia want to discuss? Why?
8. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
9. What is Gudrun's message to Sigurd?
10. Describe what happened when King Hraudung's sons went out on a fishing expedition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many of the Eddas, people are turned into or are approached by talking animals. In some cases, people learn to communicate with certain animals by drinking blood or performing other rites. Choose one of the following: Write about the metaphors involved in using birds, such as eagles and ravens, in the Eddas OR how a person or god could be turned into an animal as a punishment, curse or lesson to be learned.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the Eddas were obsessed with treasure. Treasure seemed particularly valuable if it was taken from a slain enemy or stolen. What kind of treasure was most often found by victors and common thieves? Who was well known for finding and taking treasure? Which character was the most successful and therefore the wealthiest from taking booty?
Essay Topic 3
The Norse people were known as being great warriors that frequently went on long journeys. Discuss travel and how it affected the Norse lifestyle. What did families do when the master of the house was gone for many months? Did the women of the house have the same power? Did the women ever travel? What types of things took place on the journeys? Give an example from one of the Eddas.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)