|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Swedish king's only daughter?
2. Which is not an item away taken by Sigurd?
3. Where is Fafnir found?
4. What kind of spell had been cast on Sigrdrifa?
5. Which of the following items was not introduced by Thor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and where is Andvari caught by Loki?
2. How does Oddrun react to finding Borgny in labor?
3. Why is Fafnir surprised at Sigurd's appearance?
4. Describe what happened when King Hraudung's sons went out on a fishing expedition.
5. What story does Gudrun tell to Thiodrek?
6. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
7. How does Loki behave once insulted at Hymir's Hall?
8. What topic does Freyia want to discuss? Why?
9. Name at least one reason Thor objects to the marriage of his daughter to the ogre.
10. What does Sigrun's maid think when she sees Helgi riding into his grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loki is one of the most famous characters in Norse mythology as well as being extremely powerful. However, stories are often conflicted about Loki's true nature. Write your opinion regarding Loki's character. Was Loki a trickster or a devil? Was Loki mischievous or evil? Give examples of some of Loki's acts.
Essay Topic 2
Sigurd's and Brynhild's deaths bring about the aspect of Norse life regarding burial rites. Compare and contrast the burial rites of a hero versus a peasant. What is the major difference? Who typically handles the burial rites? Who was in charge of the funerals for Sigurd and Brynhild?
Essay Topic 3
Many, even gods, sought answers to questions through prophecy. The Seeresses, Valkyries and other prophets were able to offer advice and even glimpses into the past and future. Discuss the importance of prophecy regarding love and battle. Were the prophets revered or shunned? Who was most likely to visit a prophet?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)