Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Helgi when he kills Hunding?
2. What is the first speaker's name?
3. Who is supposedly going to kill Sigurd?
4. Who kills Helgi?
5. What item does Thrym steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the death of Hunding at Helgi's hand and the consequences.
2. How do Sigurd and Regin meet?
3. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
4. How does Loki behave once insulted at Hymir's Hall?
5. How does Gudrun proclaim her innocence?
6. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
7. What things are promised to Frodi from the grinding of the magic grindstone?
8. What fates befall Gunnar and Hogni?
9. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
10. What confession does Hedin make to Helgi? How does Helgi react?
Essay Topic 1
Thievery is a common theme in the Elder Edda. There are many lays and poems that contain tales of thievery among family as well as among enemies. Discuss the theft of treasures from family members versus fallen enemies. Which is the worst crime: stealing from your kin of from a man that you killed? Discuss the moral and practical implications of theft.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the gods Thor and Loki. Include examples of power, bravery and cunning in and out of battle.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the Eddas were obsessed with treasure. Treasure seemed particularly valuable if it was taken from a slain enemy or stolen. What kind of treasure was most often found by victors and common thieves? Who was well known for finding and taking treasure? Which character was the most successful and therefore the wealthiest from taking booty?
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)