|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hunding's kingdom?
2. Who kills Ottar?
3. Which character turns into a bird?
4. What is the name of the ferryman?
5. To whom will Sigurd deliver treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conversation between Brynhild and the giantess?
2. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
3. What incident occurs as Helgi rests after killing Hunding?
4. What is offered to Gunnar and Hogni in exchange for their presence at Atli's hall?
5. Why is it that Guthorm will not be blames for breaking the blood oath?
6. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
7. What story does Gudrun tell to Thiodrek?
8. What warning does Fafnir give to Sigurd regarding the treasure? How does Sigurd react to the warning?
9. Where did Oddrun encounter Gunnar? What was he doing at the time?
10. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the Eddas were obsessed with treasure. Treasure seemed particularly valuable if it was taken from a slain enemy or stolen. What kind of treasure was most often found by victors and common thieves? Who was well known for finding and taking treasure? Which character was the most successful and therefore the wealthiest from taking booty?
Essay Topic 2
Odin often visited a Seeress for news of the underworld, the future, and the fate of all gods. Write an essay covering Odin's unquenchable thirst for knowledge or how the knowledge of the underworld was kept from someone as powerful as Odin.
Essay Topic 3
Odin was well known for donning disguises whenever he was attempting to trick or test someone or otherwise hide his identity. Examine Odin's use of disguises. Explain why a disguise would be necessary for the father of all the gods. How successful was Odin with his deceptions?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)