|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will supposedly be turned into stone at the harbor?
2. What item does Sigrdrifa give to Sigurd?
3. What is the name of Hunding's kingdom?
4. What is the name of the tree of life?
5. What kind of spell had been cast on Sigrdrifa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the prophecy given by Freyia in regards to the gods?
2. What topic does Freyia want to discuss? Why?
3. Why does Thrym steal and hide Thor's hammer? Does Thrym's plan work?
4. How does Thor deceive the ogre?
5. The Seeress states that no men will come to see her again until what event?
6. Explain the death of Hunding at Helgi's hand and the consequences.
7. What is the result of Rig's teachings to Kin?
8. Why did Harbard refuse to give Thor passage on the ferry?
9. What confession does Hedin make to Helgi? How does Helgi react?
10. Why is Gudrun angry with her sons?
Essay Topic 1
As the father of all gods, Odin had powers that were not available to lesser gods. What powers did Odin have? What powers did Frigg have as Odin's wife? Did Odin's children have stronger powers than non-related gods? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Treachery was everywhere in the Eddas. People constantly deceived one another for personal gain or revenge. Many acts were considered to be treachery when they were not. List at least five different examples of treachery. Include details surrounding each case. Were any of the cases linked? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Thievery is a common theme in the Elder Edda. There are many lays and poems that contain tales of thievery among family as well as among enemies. Discuss the theft of treasures from family members versus fallen enemies. Which is the worst crime: stealing from your kin of from a man that you killed? Discuss the moral and practical implications of theft.
This section contains 1,527 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)