Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Helgi when he kills Hunding?
2. What is the first speaker's name?
3. Who is supposedly going to kill Sigurd?
4. Who kills Helgi?
5. What item does Thrym steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the death of Hunding at Helgi's hand and the consequences.
2. How do Sigurd and Regin meet?
3. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
4. How does Loki behave once insulted at Hymir's Hall?
5. How does Gudrun proclaim her innocence?
6. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
7. What things are promised to Frodi from the grinding of the magic grindstone?
8. What fates befall Gunnar and Hogni?
9. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
10. What confession does Hedin make to Helgi? How does Helgi react?
Essay Topic 1
There were many important groups of people referred to in the Eddas. They include the gods, Norns, Niflungs, and so forth. Which was most important group? List the groups of people mentioned in the Eddas, put them into order of importance, and list the reasons why each group is important and/or powerful.
Essay Topic 2
In many of the Eddas, people are turned into or are approached by talking animals. In some cases, people learn to communicate with certain animals by drinking blood or performing other rites. Choose one of the following: Write about the metaphors involved in using birds, such as eagles and ravens, in the Eddas OR how a person or god could be turned into an animal as a punishment, curse or lesson to be learned.
Essay Topic 3
As the father of all gods, Odin had powers that were not available to lesser gods. What powers did Odin have? What powers did Frigg have as Odin's wife? Did Odin's children have stronger powers than non-related gods? Explain.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)