Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Helgi when he kills Hunding?
2. What is the first speaker's name?
3. Who is supposedly going to kill Sigurd?
4. Who kills Helgi?
5. What item does Thrym steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the death of Hunding at Helgi's hand and the consequences.
2. How do Sigurd and Regin meet?
3. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
4. How does Loki behave once insulted at Hymir's Hall?
5. How does Gudrun proclaim her innocence?
6. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
7. What things are promised to Frodi from the grinding of the magic grindstone?
8. What fates befall Gunnar and Hogni?
9. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
10. What confession does Hedin make to Helgi? How does Helgi react?
Essay Topic 1
The stories of the widows at Sigurd's grave show clearly that it was common for people to have a great number of marriages. Having children in each marriage was also common. Discuss the reason for the large number of marriages. How did the marriages typically end? Were the marriages formal or based on an informal commitment? What would be an average number of marriages per person based on the information given?
Essay Topic 2
Treachery was everywhere in the Eddas. People constantly deceived one another for personal gain or revenge. Many acts were considered to be treachery when they were not. List at least five different examples of treachery. Include details surrounding each case. Were any of the cases linked? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Many battles meant that there were many great rulers. The throne often changed hands, father to son, from the conquered to the victor. Choose at least five rulers mentioned in the Eddas. Compare and contrast their power, prowess, and integrity.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)