|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hunding's kingdom?
2. Who must Sigurd invoke to ensure victory in battle?
3. Where is Fafnir found?
4. Who does Thrym want to marry?
5. How is Regin described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Sigrdrifa give to Sigurd on being victorious in battle?
2. What was seen in Glaumvor's dream?
3. What does Gripir predict in regard to the prince's daughter?
4. What story does Gudrun tell to Thiodrek?
5. What are Hogni's thoughts about the ring sent by Gudrun?
6. What is offered to Gunnar and Hogni in exchange for their presence at Atli's hall?
7. What challenge does Hymir issue to Thor to prove his superior strength?
8. How does the conflict begin in The Death of Sinfiotli?
9. What was Brynhild's punishment?
10. What is the Edda's view on friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many important groups of people referred to in the Eddas. They include the gods, Norns, Niflungs, and so forth. Which was most important group? List the groups of people mentioned in the Eddas, put them into order of importance, and list the reasons why each group is important and/or powerful.
Essay Topic 2
As the father of all gods, Odin had powers that were not available to lesser gods. What powers did Odin have? What powers did Frigg have as Odin's wife? Did Odin's children have stronger powers than non-related gods? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The stories of the widows at Sigurd's grave show clearly that it was common for people to have a great number of marriages. Having children in each marriage was also common. Discuss the reason for the large number of marriages. How did the marriages typically end? Were the marriages formal or based on an informal commitment? What would be an average number of marriages per person based on the information given?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)