Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Helgi when he kills Hunding?
2. What is the first speaker's name?
3. Who is supposedly going to kill Sigurd?
4. Who kills Helgi?
5. What item does Thrym steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the death of Hunding at Helgi's hand and the consequences.
2. How do Sigurd and Regin meet?
3. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
4. How does Loki behave once insulted at Hymir's Hall?
5. How does Gudrun proclaim her innocence?
6. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
7. What things are promised to Frodi from the grinding of the magic grindstone?
8. What fates befall Gunnar and Hogni?
9. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
10. What confession does Hedin make to Helgi? How does Helgi react?
Many, even gods, sought answers to questions through prophecy. The Seeresses, Valkyries and other prophets were able to offer advice and even glimpses into the past and future. Discuss the importance of prophecy regarding love and battle. Were the prophets revered or shunned? Who was most likely to visit a prophet?
In several Eddas, people had their hearts cut out. What is the purpose of cutting out a person's heart? What was done with the heart once it was removed? Was the action one of spite or magic? Give examples of each and how the act affected the Edda.
Treachery was everywhere in the Eddas. People constantly deceived one another for personal gain or revenge. Many acts were considered to be treachery when they were not. List at least five different examples of treachery. Include details surrounding each case. Were any of the cases linked? If so, how?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)