|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Fafnir found?
2. What is Ottar eating when he is killed?
3. Who will supposedly be turned into stone at the harbor?
4. Who is Sigrdrifa?
5. What item does Thrym steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge does Hymir issue to Thor to prove his superior strength?
2. What warning does Fafnir give to Sigurd regarding the treasure? How does Sigurd react to the warning?
3. The Seeress states that no men will come to see her again until what event?
4. Name at least one reason Thor objects to the marriage of his daughter to the ogre.
5. What is the conversation between Brynhild and the giantess?
6. How and where is Andvari caught by Loki?
7. What did Brynhild see in her dream?
8. According to the Edda, what were Gudrun's feelings about Sigurd?
9. How does the accusation against Gudrun occur?
10. Explain the death of Hunding at Helgi's hand and the consequences.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Odin often visited a Seeress for news of the underworld, the future, and the fate of all gods. Write an essay covering Odin's unquenchable thirst for knowledge or how the knowledge of the underworld was kept from someone as powerful as Odin.
Essay Topic 2
Many battles ensued due to the killing of one's family members. This is especially true in the case of Gudrun. Examine the life of Gudrun, her losses and vengeance regarding the murder of various family members.
Essay Topic 3
The Norse people were known as being great warriors that frequently went on long journeys. Discuss travel and how it affected the Norse lifestyle. What did families do when the master of the house was gone for many months? Did the women of the house have the same power? Did the women ever travel? What types of things took place on the journeys? Give an example from one of the Eddas.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)