|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A man should never be ashamed of which of the following?
2. Why was Gunnar so angry with Sigurd.
3. Which character does Helgi wich to avoid?
4. Who greets Sigurd at Gripir's hall?
5. What is the first speaker's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Gripir? What is Gripir's role in the Edda?
2. How does Oddrun react to finding Borgny in labor?
3. Who were some of the casualties in battle? How did the deaths affect Sigrun?
4. How and where is Andvari caught by Loki?
5. How do Sorli and Hamdir react when they meet Erp on the road?
6. What is offered to Gunnar and Hogni in exchange for their presence at Atli's hall?
7. What warning does Fafnir give to Sigurd regarding the treasure? How does Sigurd react to the warning?
8. How does the accusation against Gudrun occur?
9. What was Brynhild's punishment?
10. Describe what happened when King Hraudung's sons went out on a fishing expedition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stories of the widows at Sigurd's grave show clearly that it was common for people to have a great number of marriages. Having children in each marriage was also common. Discuss the reason for the large number of marriages. How did the marriages typically end? Were the marriages formal or based on an informal commitment? What would be an average number of marriages per person based on the information given?
Essay Topic 2
Thievery is a common theme in the Elder Edda. There are many lays and poems that contain tales of thievery among family as well as among enemies. Discuss the theft of treasures from family members versus fallen enemies. Which is the worst crime: stealing from your kin of from a man that you killed? Discuss the moral and practical implications of theft.
Essay Topic 3
The Norse people were known as being great warriors that frequently went on long journeys. Discuss travel and how it affected the Norse lifestyle. What did families do when the master of the house was gone for many months? Did the women of the house have the same power? Did the women ever travel? What types of things took place on the journeys? Give an example from one of the Eddas.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)