|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Edda states that friends should be _____.
2. The Edda features two birds conversing about Helgi. What kind of birds are they?
3. Near what river did Sigurd die?
4. To whom is the Valkyrie betrothed?
5. With what does Fafnir attempt to kill Sigurd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name at least one reason Thor objects to the marriage of his daughter to the ogre.
2. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
3. What was Brynhild's punishment?
4. How does the relationship form between Lord and Rig?
5. What are Gunnar's thoughts regarding the possible loss of Brynhild?
6. What is the result of Rig's teachings to Kin?
7. What incident occurs as Helgi rests after killing Hunding?
8. How does Iormunrekk react to the news of the arrival of Sorli and Hamdir?
9. How and where is Andvari caught by Loki?
10. Why does Thrym steal and hide Thor's hammer? Does Thrym's plan work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Odin often visited a Seeress for news of the underworld, the future, and the fate of all gods. Write an essay covering Odin's unquenchable thirst for knowledge or how the knowledge of the underworld was kept from someone as powerful as Odin.
Essay Topic 2
Many, even gods, sought answers to questions through prophecy. The Seeresses, Valkyries and other prophets were able to offer advice and even glimpses into the past and future. Discuss the importance of prophecy regarding love and battle. Were the prophets revered or shunned? Who was most likely to visit a prophet?
Essay Topic 3
The Norse people were known as being great warriors that frequently went on long journeys. Discuss travel and how it affected the Norse lifestyle. What did families do when the master of the house was gone for many months? Did the women of the house have the same power? Did the women ever travel? What types of things took place on the journeys? Give an example from one of the Eddas.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)