|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will the gods gather to battle?
2. What was the name of the king's second wife?
3. Who is Sigrdrifa?
4. For how many days is Grimnir tortured?
5. Gripir assures Sigurd that he will always be thought of as a:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gripir predict in regard to the prince's daughter?
2. What confession is made by Vingi? Who is Vingi?
3. According to the Seeress, who will avenge Baldr?
4. Why is Skirnir sent to meet with Gerd? How does Gerd react?
5. How should a wise Norseman speak?
6. Name at least one reason Thor objects to the marriage of his daughter to the ogre.
7. Detail the events surrounding Sinfiotli's death.
8. Why is Fafnir surprised at Sigurd's appearance?
9. What is the result of Rig's teachings to Kin?
10. What fates befall Gunnar and Hogni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loki is one of the most famous characters in Norse mythology as well as being extremely powerful. However, stories are often conflicted about Loki's true nature. Write your opinion regarding Loki's character. Was Loki a trickster or a devil? Was Loki mischievous or evil? Give examples of some of Loki's acts.
Essay Topic 2
Sigurd's and Brynhild's deaths bring about the aspect of Norse life regarding burial rites. Compare and contrast the burial rites of a hero versus a peasant. What is the major difference? Who typically handles the burial rites? Who was in charge of the funerals for Sigurd and Brynhild?
Essay Topic 3
In several Eddas, people had their hearts cut out. What is the purpose of cutting out a person's heart? What was done with the heart once it was removed? Was the action one of spite or magic? Give examples of each and how the act affected the Edda.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)