|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas use to sell insurances policies?
2. Which of the following characters is described as obviously successful if not wealthy?
3. When Ginny apologizes for Paul to the narrator what does she accuse the narrator of doing?
4. What does the narrator like to do but not do?
5. Why does Charles's lawyer want his crime to be called manslaughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
2. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
3. What makes Eunice wonder about the hotel's breakfast calls?
4. What does Clair talk about during her part of the dinner?
5. What does Jed Jones say happened after he heard the shots?
6. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
7. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
8. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
9. When Mrs. Richards bets a woman is fattening Louis up for the fry, about what does Louis think?
10. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Widows and Orphans"- How does Louis view Clair? How does Clair view Louis? In what ways do these two views coincide? In what ways do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
"The Faithful" - In this story, the main character views his community (the black community) as being divided by their family origins. Do you agree that family origins can divide a community? Why or why not?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)