|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Redeemer's friends say about the Bible?
2. Who does Harold consult to help him with strategy?
3. What happens when Paul is transferred to Oakland, CA?
4. For what does Nelson claim to be a sucker?
5. What does Viola do when she meets Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does this story take place?
2. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
3. Why does the editor feel obliged to impose order on the piece of writing in front of him?
4. What is the first parable about the narrator shares?
5. What does Clair talk about during her part of the dinner?
6. Describe the Redeemer's friends as he sees them.
7. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
8. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
9. How does Leon describe his landlady?
10. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 2
"Problems of Art" -The story ended with the reader learning that Mrs. Farragot had indeed been drinking. Did you find this surprising? Why or why not? Do you think she was drunk the night of the incident? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Why I like Country Music" - What role does love play in this story? In what way are stereotypes developed through this story? What role does one's culture during their formative years play into understanding others?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)