|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, what is said to be the only one book that offers a suitable religion for businessmen?
2. What does Jones denies kept Charles and Jones from being friends?
3. What do Thomas and Harold think they need to explain to Nelson?
4. How does Rogers characterize Charles's talent?
5. Why does the judge's secretary tell him he must shine at the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first parable about the narrator shares?
2. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
3. When Mrs. Richards bets a woman is fattening Louis up for the fry, about what does Louis think?
4. How does Leon describe his landlady?
5. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
6. Why does the editor feel obliged to impose order on the piece of writing in front of him?
7. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
8. What does the narrator say to those who come to him telling him that anything not in the Bible is false?
9. What does the narrator say that he is enough of a realist to accept?
10. What does Charles do that is unlike Detroit-born mechanics and what does he think will happen as a result of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Faithful" - In this story, the main character views his community (the black community) as being divided by their family origins. Do you agree that family origins can divide a community? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Just Enough for the City" - Why do the evangelists become frustrated with the narrator? How does this story portray the black narrator? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
"The Silver Bullet" - What does the phrase "Everyone gets the spanking their mommas should have given them" mean? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)