|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ginny apologizes for Paul to the narrator what does she accuse the narrator of doing?
2. Who did Charles harm?
3. Why does Ginny protect her lucky innocent nature?
4. What is Paul's means of redeeming family?
5. What is Ruth waiting for an opening to tell Harold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say to those who come to him telling him that anything not in the Bible is false?
2. What makes Eunice wonder about the hotel's breakfast calls?
3. What does the narrator say great literature has given way to?
4. What does Jed Jones say happened after he heard the shots?
5. What are the Foster's doing because it was recommended and because they are tired of tourism?
6. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
7. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
8. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
9. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
10. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Story of a Dead Man" - In what way are the two main characters in this story alike? In what ways are they different? Why do you think one would become an accomplished liar? What would make a person become an accomplished liar?
Essay Topic 2
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Faithful" - In this story, the main character views his community (the black community) as being divided by their family origins. Do you agree that family origins can divide a community? Why or why not?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)