|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harold consult to help him with strategy?
2. How does Rogers characterize Charles's talent?
3. For what is Charles on trial?
4. For what is the narrator searching?
5. What does the speaker say that everything has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Redeemer's friends as he sees them.
2. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
3. What does the narrator say that he is enough of a realist to accept?
4. Who is Nelson Reed and what does he become?
5. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
6. What is the first parable about the narrator shares?
7. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
8. What does the narrator say great literature has given way to?
9. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
10. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Problems of Art" - In what way does this story deal with the fate of blacks in a white-controlled judicial system? Do you believe Mrs. Farragot was wise to insist on a white attorney? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 3
"The Faithful" - In this story, the main character views his community (the black community) as being divided by their family origins. Do you agree that family origins can divide a community? Why or why not?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)