|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the students given passports to go?
2. Why does the judge's secretary tell him he must shine at the meeting?
3. Why does Nelson say that average men are not really men?
4. Why does the narrator value Ginny?
5. Why does Harold say that his prices have to be higher in some stores than others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
2. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
3. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
4. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
5. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
6. What makes Eunice wonder about the hotel's breakfast calls?
7. How does Leon describe his landlady?
8. What does the narrator say that he is enough of a realist to accept?
9. What does the narrator say great literature has given way to?
10. What does the narrator say to those who come to him telling him that anything not in the Bible is false?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 2
"Why I like Country Music" - In what ways is square dancing used as a symbol of differing world views? What are these views? Which view do you best relate to and why?
Essay Topic 3
"Why I like Country Music" - What role does love play in this story? In what way are stereotypes developed through this story? What role does one's culture during their formative years play into understanding others?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)