|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the author say that great myths have been reduced?
2. What is Ruth waiting for an opening to tell Harold?
3. What does the speaker say that everything has?
4. What subject did Thomas love in college?
5. Which of the following is not something the Asians report missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
2. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
3. Describe the Redeemer's friends as he sees them.
4. Where does this story take place?
5. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
6. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
7. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
8. What does the narrator say great literature has given way to?
9. What does the narrator say to those who come to him telling him that anything not in the Bible is false?
10. Why does the editor feel obliged to impose order on the piece of writing in front of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"The Silver Bullet" - In what way does this story show that everyone is corrupt? Do you agree that there is much more corruption in society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)