|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Clair invite Louis to Los Angeles?
2. How does Rogers characterize Charles's talent?
3. How do the other diners look at the people involved in the theft?
4. What does the narrator like to do but not do?
5. What does Louis keep thinking of as he attends the dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does this story take place?
2. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
3. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
4. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
5. Who is Nelson Reed and what does he become?
6. What does the narrator say great literature has given way to?
7. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
8. How does Leon describe his landlady?
9. What does Clair talk about during her part of the dinner?
10. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Story of a Scar"- In what ways does the woman believe men should think about women? How does this compare to how the narrator (a man) points out they do think about women? In what way do these ideas relate to how the story ends?
Essay Topic 2
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Silver Bullet" - What does the phrase "Everyone gets the spanking their mommas should have given them" mean? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)