|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what are Leon and Eunice summoned?
2. What nationality does Leon think the man who summoned them is?
3. How do the other diners look at the people involved in the theft?
4. Why did Pinkett suggest Charles get a new job?
5. With what color does Harold say is the only color that he is concerned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
2. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
3. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
4. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
5. What are the Foster's doing because it was recommended and because they are tired of tourism?
6. When Mrs. Richards bets a woman is fattening Louis up for the fry, about what does Louis think?
7. Where does this story take place?
8. What is the first parable about the narrator shares?
9. What does the narrator say that he is enough of a realist to accept?
10. What makes Eunice wonder about the hotel's breakfast calls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
"The Story of a Scar"- In what ways does the woman believe men should think about women? How does this compare to how the narrator (a man) points out they do think about women? In what way do these ideas relate to how the story ends?
Essay Topic 3
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)