|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ask the missionaries to tell him without looking in their Bibles?
2. Who does the narrator say work in the neighborhood?
3. Why does the narrator value Ginny?
4. When do the Germans insist on visiting?
5. Why does Mr. G. block unemployment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say to those who come to him telling him that anything not in the Bible is false?
2. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
3. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
4. What are the Foster's doing because it was recommended and because they are tired of tourism?
5. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
6. What does Charles do that is unlike Detroit-born mechanics and what does he think will happen as a result of this?
7. What does Clair talk about during her part of the dinner?
8. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
9. How does Leon describe his landlady?
10. What does the narrator say that he is enough of a realist to accept?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 2
"The Silver Bullet" - What does the phrase "Everyone gets the spanking their mommas should have given them" mean? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Story of a Scar"- What do you believe are the three major themes of this story? Do you believe this is a love story? Why or why not?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)