|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator like to do but not do?
2. Why is Paul attracted to Ginny?
3. What is Paul's means of redeeming family?
4. Why does Nelson say that average men are not really men?
5. Who does Harold consult to help him with strategy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
2. Who is Nelson Reed and what does he become?
3. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
4. Where does this story take place?
5. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
6. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
7. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
8. Describe the Redeemer's friends as he sees them.
9. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
10. How does Leon describe his landlady?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
"Why I like Country Music" - In what ways is square dancing used as a symbol of differing world views? What are these views? Which view do you best relate to and why?
Essay Topic 3
"The Story of a Dead Man" - In what way are the two main characters in this story alike? In what ways are they different? Why do you think one would become an accomplished liar? What would make a person become an accomplished liar?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)