|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Pinkett suggest Charles get a new job?
2. Why did Clair invite Louis to Los Angeles?
3. What does Charles ask Johnson that Plinkett witnessed?
4. Where were the students given passports to go?
5. Why does Ginny protect her lucky innocent nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
2. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
3. What makes Eunice wonder about the hotel's breakfast calls?
4. What does the narrator say that he is enough of a realist to accept?
5. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
6. What does Jed Jones say happened after he heard the shots?
7. What does Charles do that is unlike Detroit-born mechanics and what does he think will happen as a result of this?
8. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
9. What is the first parable about the narrator shares?
10. When Mrs. Richards bets a woman is fattening Louis up for the fry, about what does Louis think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 2
"A Loaf of Bread" - Of what are Brown and the white bread symbolic? Who do you think was right, Nelson, Harold, or neither? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)