|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say work in the neighborhood?
2. Why is the narrator told he must submit?
3. What subject did Thomas love in college?
4. Who reminded Rogers of a disturbance caused by Charles previously?
5. For what is Charles on trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
2. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
3. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
4. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
5. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
6. What does Clair talk about during her part of the dinner?
7. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
8. Who is Nelson Reed and what does he become?
9. Where does this story take place?
10. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Widows and Orphans"- How does Louis view Clair? How does Clair view Louis? In what ways do these two views coincide? In what ways do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
"Why I like Country Music" - In what ways is square dancing used as a symbol of differing world views? What are these views? Which view do you best relate to and why?
Essay Topic 3
"The Story of a Scar"- In what ways does the woman believe men should think about women? How does this compare to how the narrator (a man) points out they do think about women? In what way do these ideas relate to how the story ends?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)