|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does the bobby indicate Leon should hurry?
2. What does the speaker say that everything has?
3. Why does the narrator head for the East?
4. For what does Nelson claim to be a sucker?
5. What does the narrator like to do but not do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does this story take place?
2. What are the Foster's doing because it was recommended and because they are tired of tourism?
3. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
4. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
5. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
6. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
7. What is the first parable about the narrator shares?
8. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
9. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
10. Who is Nelson Reed and what does he become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 2
"Widows and Orphans"- In what ways does this story look at blacks who have escaped the rural life in a disparaging manner? Do you believe this view still exists today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Problems of Art" - In what way does this story deal with the fate of blacks in a white-controlled judicial system? Do you believe Mrs. Farragot was wise to insist on a white attorney? Why or why not?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)