|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality does Leon think the man who summoned them is?
2. What do the people chant?
3. Who does Harold consult to help him with strategy?
4. What does Thomas use to sell insurances policies?
5. Why was the narrator's favorite waitress fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charles do that is unlike Detroit-born mechanics and what does he think will happen as a result of this?
2. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
3. Where does this story take place?
4. What does the narrator say that he is enough of a realist to accept?
5. Describe the character Clair as seen through Louis's eyes.
6. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
7. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
8. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
9. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
10. What makes Eunice wonder about the hotel's breakfast calls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Story of a Scar"- In what ways does the woman believe men should think about women? How does this compare to how the narrator (a man) points out they do think about women? In what way do these ideas relate to how the story ends?
Essay Topic 2
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 3
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)