|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is considered an instant hero?
2. When do the Germans insist on visiting?
3. About what does the woman who sits next to the Fosters complain?
4. What do the Redeemer's friends say about the Bible?
5. How long ago did Jones first notice trouble between Charles and Johnson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
2. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
3. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
4. Why does the editor feel obliged to impose order on the piece of writing in front of him?
5. Where does this story take place?
6. What does the narrator say great literature has given way to?
7. What does the group of storytellers who Ginny joined consider themselves and what happens to change this?
8. What does the narrator say to those who come to him telling him that anything not in the Bible is false?
9. What does Charles do that is unlike Detroit-born mechanics and what does he think will happen as a result of this?
10. What is Harold Green caught doing that angers people in the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Silver Bullet" - In what way does this story show that everyone is corrupt? Do you agree that there is much more corruption in society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"The Story of a Scar"- In what ways does the woman believe men should think about women? How does this compare to how the narrator (a man) points out they do think about women? In what way do these ideas relate to how the story ends?
Essay Topic 3
"The Faithful" - In this story, the main character views his community (the black community) as being divided by their family origins. Do you agree that family origins can divide a community? Why or why not?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)