|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author claim he has never passed himself off as?
2. Who does the author say cannot love?
3. What does the author say concerns the young man?
4. What does the author assert is more important than cultivating one's mind?
5. What does the author say an aesthetic representation requires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are somethings the author writes might be said to a depressed young man?
2. What does the author say the young man proposes is the definition of a hero? What does the author encourage the young man to suppose instead?
3. Explain how the author uses the metaphor of a ship captain to explain Either/Or.
4. Why does the author write humans fear death?
5. Are any Either/Or choices absolute? Explain.
6. Describe the folktale about Roland's three squires.
7. What does the author write about "the Moment"?
8. How may talent become a hindrance to the enjoyment of life, according to the author?
9. What "gift of grace" does the author say he would add to those listed in the bible?
10. Why does the author warn against young men being tied down to making a living right away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the attitude of the author towards wedding ceremonies? What purpose do the ceremonies serve? In what ways are they "backward"? Discuss citing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The author discusses depression at length in EITHER/OR. Why does the author assert men become depressed? When is depression virtuous and when is it self-indulgent? What does the author assert is the nature of his own depression? What does the author assert is the nature of the young man's depression? How does the author advise the young man to handle his melancholy. Discuss citing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What does the author mean by the term "Either/Or"? Why is the concept central to human existence? Discuss citing three specific examples from the text.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)