|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman does the author compare the young man to?
2. What kind of energy does the author say a dying person has?
3. On the whole, what does the author say it is to choose?
4. What is the author's attitude toward depression?
5. What does the author say the young man's attitude toward ethics is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of superstition in EITHER/OR. What is the author's attitude toward superstition? What are the dangers of superstition? What course does the author recommend to the young man to counter these? Discuss citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What is the attitude of the author of the letter towards marriage? What does the author see as the principle purpose of marriage? What mental attitudes does the author indicate work against marriage? How may these be overcome? Discuss citing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the attitude of the author towards wedding ceremonies? What purpose do the ceremonies serve? In what ways are they "backward"? Discuss citing specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)