|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 6, Aesthetic Validity of Marriage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is love according to the author?
2. What character in opera does the author say embodies the state preceding love?
(a) Tristan in TRISTAN AND ISOLDE.
(b) Don Giovanni in DON GIOVANNI.
(c) Wotan in THE RING CYCLE.
(d) Page in FIGARO.
3. What is the only thing for which the author thanks God with his whole soul?
(a) That his wife loves him with all her heart.
(b) That his wife is the only woman he has ever loved.
(c) That his wife has many hobbies which keep her occupied.
(d) That his wife is the last person he will ever love.
4. Between what two types of doubt does the author say it is important to distinguish?
(a) No doubt and full doubt.
(b) Personal and scientific doubt.
(c) Temporal and eternal doubt.
(d) Religious and erotic doubt.
5. In what form is EITHER/OR written?
(a) In the form of an epistle.
(b) In the form of a code.
(c) In the form of a lecture.
(d) In the form of a casual conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author believe accounts for the young man's excessive anxiety?
2. What does the author say the young man he is writing to wants to be?
3. What does the author say can crush the aesthetic in a human being?
4. What is the first subject Kierkegaard discusses?
5. According to the author, true marriage includes the religious and what other element?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)