|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 5, Aesthetic Validity of Marriage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what happens to the value of an original, or first, thing if it may be repeated?
(a) The value remains the same.
(b) The value increases.
(c) The value decreases.
(d) The first thing never had any value.
2. What does the author say belongs in every marriage but is missing from a marriage of convenience?
(a) The eternal.
(b) The erotic.
(c) The cruel.
(d) The temporal.
3. Why is "sympathetic" depression noble according to the author of the letter?
(a) "Sympathetic" depression is the depression of the landed gentry.
(b) The author has proclaimed it!
(c) "Sympathetic" depression is highly attractive in a young man.
(d) "Sympathetic" depression is for the sake of another.
4. At what moment is love annihilated according to the author?
(a) The moment it becomes hate.
(b) The moment it sins.
(c) The moment it becomes conscious of itself.
(d) The moment it doubts.
5. The author asserts that it might seem proper for marital love to begin with a kind of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say first love is for him?
2. Why is the author accustomed to writing on this particular object?
3. Every coming into existence, according to the author, always has an element of what?
4. According to the author of the letter, to what does a religious person refer everything?
5. What idea does the insane man, of whom the author writes, have fixed in his head?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)