|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 5, Aesthetic Validity of Marriage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between what two types of doubt does the author say it is important to distinguish?
(a) Religious and erotic doubt.
(b) Personal and scientific doubt.
(c) Temporal and eternal doubt.
(d) No doubt and full doubt.
2. What does first love not fear according to the author?
3. How does marital love manifest itself as historical?
(a) By being a process of destroying.
(b) By being a process of assimilation.
(c) By being a process of dominating.
(d) By being a process of history.
4. According to the author, true marriage includes the religious and what other element?
(a) The fated.
(b) The pure.
(c) The sacrilegious.
(d) The erotic.
5. How does the author describe a couple's connection in a marriage of convenience?
(a) The connection is sexy and suffocating.
(b) The connection is moral but shallow.
(c) The connection is immoral and fragile.
(d) The connection is safe but unrewarding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the young man he is writing to wants to be?
2. What does an individual become when his heart is open according to the author?
3. What does the author say first love is for him?
4. Why does the author suggest the young man may be "depressed" and fear marriage?
5. To what kind of wedding ceremony does the author of the letter refer?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)