|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 4, Aesthetic Validity of Marriage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the author compare the engagement period?
(a) The time it takes many people to dive into the water when they go swimming.
(b) Being tortured on the rack.
(c) The time one spends at the hair salon.
(d) Being held underwater, dying for a gasp of fresh air.
2. How ought we deal with the frail according to the author?
(a) We ought to speak very slowly to the frail.
(b) We ought to deal with the frail lovingly.
(c) We ought to be polite to the frail in their presence and save our snickering for when they are gone.
(d) We ought to kick the frail down the stairs.
3. The author claims what kind of feelings toward his wife?
(a) Feelings of anxiety.
(b) Feelings of devotion.
(c) Feelings of anger.
(d) Feelings of sadness.
4. Why is the author accustomed to writing on this particular object?
(a) Because he is a public official.
(b) Because he lives in modern India.
(c) Because he lives in ancient Egypt.
(d) Because he is blind.
5. According to the author of the letter, to what does a religious person refer everything?
(b) The Virgin Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say romantic love is built on?
2. What idea does the insane man, of whom the author writes, have fixed in his head?
3. What does the author say that the first love always is?
4. What character in opera does the author say embodies the state preceding love?
5. What quality does the author say love shares with everything eternal?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)