|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 8, Equilibrium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature sends the author into "reverie"?
(a) The elephant.
(b) The tiger.
(c) The jellyfish.
(d) The catfish.
2. If a sailor is enchanted by a mermaid's song, what is the only way to break the spell according to the author?
(a) One must remember Either/Or.
(b) One must swallow the eye of a newt.
(c) One must play the same piece backward without making a single mistake.
(d) One must consult a wise man and obtain his blessing.
3. What does the author say one must transform to preserve the aesthetic in human beings?
(a) One must transform suffering into joy.
(b) One must transform beauty into pain.
(c) One must transform lemons into lemonade.
(d) One must transform outer trials into inner trials.
4. What does the author say that the young man thinks life is?
(a) A trial.
(b) A lark.
(c) A masquerade.
(d) A fair.
5. What does an individual become when his heart is open according to the author?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must a captain of a ship make swift decisions about direction changes?
2. What does Either/Or represent?
3. The author claims there is the deepest relationship between what two things?
4. What system does the author say he observed while he was a guest in the home of a young married couple?
5. To whom does the author compare the young man when he is ill-tempered?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)