|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 10, Equilibrium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What path does nature take according to the author?
(a) The shortest path.
(b) The widest path.
(c) The hilliest path.
(d) The longest path.
2. What is the ethical according to the author?
(a) The ethical is that with which a person punishes a person who misbehaves.
(b) The ethical is that by which a person becomes what he becomes.
(c) The ethical is that by which a person spontaneously is what he is.
(d) The ethical is a mystery that is fundamentally unknowable.
3. What is the married man's most dangerous enemy according to the author?
(a) His conscience.
(b) His wife's suitors.
(c) His wife.
4. What does the author say art and poetry do for us?
(a) Art and poetry amaze us with the complexity of their construction.
(b) Art and poetry torture us with their beauty.
(c) Art and poetry bore most of us to tears.
(d) Art and poetry delight us in the moment of consummation.
5. What idea does the insane man, of whom the author writes, have fixed in his head?
(a) The insane man has the idea that his apartment is full of flies.
(b) The insane man has the idea that his heart is full of spiders.
(c) The insane man has the idea that his mattress is full of butterflies.
(d) The insane man has the idea that his veins are filled with oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to having a priority in itself, what other quality does marital love possess according to the author?
2. About what emperor does the author go on at length?
3. To what kind of wedding ceremony does the author of the letter refer?
4. What history does the author say proves to be incommensurable for poetry?
5. Why does the author say it seems superfluous to tell the young man what is aesthetic?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)