|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Besso, what does Einstein live without?
2. In the world described in the "3 June 1905" dream, how do people learn about the seasons?
3. What does the narrator want readers to imagine in the "3 June 1905" dream?
4. How long ago, in the "17 June 1905" dream, did the lovers meet?
5. According to the dream on 3 June 1905, what is life a brief movement of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do sunset and sunrise babies become frightened when the light changes?
2. How does the narrator describe time in the 17 June 1905 dream?
3. What options do people have when it comes to reading their Book of Life?
4. What is the young woman at no. 27 Viktoriastrasse doing right before she thrusts herself into the future?
5. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have not seen a glimpse of their future yet?
6. According to the 3 June 1905 dream, describe how a person born in December exists.
7. How did the notion of the speed effect come to be known?
8. Why does the young man in the 17 June 1905 dream leave his lover and tell her he cannot see her again?
9. In the second Interlude, to what does Besso compare Einstein's present health?
10. For the world described in the 29 May 1905 dream, why are the inhabitants constantly in motion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the limited use of illustrations in the novel. Why do you believe that illustrations are only used to lead into the "current time" of the novel? What is the importance of their placement? Do you believe that the illustrations are simply illustrations, or are they relative to the novel in a functional way? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the following essay question being sure to use at least two examples and fully explaining the reasoning behind your answer:
- What is your least favorite dream from "Einstein's Dreams" and why?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein's health is a major concern for Besso. Why do you believe that Besso is concerned about Einstein's health? Are there any specific examples given in the Interludes that would make one think that there was reason for Besso's concern? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)