|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the middle-aged man receive during the "2 June 1905" dream?
2. What does the middle-aged man in the "2 June 1905" dream hope to know about that no one else has ever known?
3. How can Besso tell that Einstein is making progress on his theory?
4. What have those who live in the world of the "9 June 1905" dream determined is the only way to live?
5. What is the paper on that Einstein set on Besso's desk (as told in the second Interlude)?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have not seen a glimpse of their future yet?
2. How does the narrator describe a world without a future?
3. Describe the way that time is experienced in the 5 June 1905 dream.
4. Why do sunset and sunrise babies become frightened when the light changes?
5. Describe the two different views people of the 15 June 1905 world can have.
6. Describe the life of a peach in the world where time travels in reverse.
7. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have seen a glimpse of their future?
8. What is the young woman at no. 27 Viktoriastrasse doing right before she thrusts herself into the future?
9. What is the biggest problem associated with living in the 20 May 1905 world?
10. Why have some inhabitants of the 29 May 1905 world become frustrated and despondent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Great Clock. What problems are associated with placing all trust in a manmade object? What are the benefits associated with placing all trust in a synthetic object? Would you choose to place you life in the motion of the clock or not? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a representation of time from the novel and examine why it is not a realistic representation of time. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses as to why this "world" is the most unrealistic from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a dream that would be the best and worst match for your life. Write a compare and contrast essay regarding why one best suits you and why the other does not. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)