|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Laters walk and dress?
2. What time of the day is it at the beginning of the second Interlude?
3. Who is carried into the woman's home (in the "2 June 1905" dream)?
4. What does the narrator want readers to "suppose" in the "9 June 1905" dream?
5. How long ago, in the "17 June 1905" dream, did the lovers meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the phenomenon of people only living one day in the 3 June 1905 dream?
2. What happens to the "withered woman" from the 2 June 1905 dream?
3. How does the narrator describe a world without a future?
4. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have not seen a glimpse of their future yet?
5. What has the young woman at no. 27 Viktoriastrasse missed in her life because of the sudden thrust into the future?
6. Why have some inhabitants of the 29 May 1905 world become frustrated and despondent?
7. Describe the cafe that stands on the corner of Kramgasse and Theaterplatz.
8. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have seen a glimpse of their future?
9. What options do people have when it comes to reading their Book of Life?
10. Describe the way that time is experienced in the 5 June 1905 dream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Salman Rushdie states that the novel is "intellectually provocative and touching and comical and so very beautifully written." (Dust cover quote-1993 edition by Pantheon Books, New York) What, from this quote, do you agree with? What do you disagree with? Based on your stand as a reader, support your belief with textual evidence. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a dream that would be the best and worst match for your life. Write a compare and contrast essay regarding why one best suits you and why the other does not. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, do you believe the past is just as important as the present and future? Why? What evidence from the novel leads you to believe this? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)