|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's explanation of such a short life in the "3 June 1905" dream?
2. In the third Interlude, what does Besso say that he sees in the clouds?
3. According to the "3 June 1905" dream, what is a life planned by?
4. How can Besso tell that Einstein is making progress on his theory?
5. In the third Interlude, where are Einstein and Besso?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the world described in the 29 May 1905 dream, why are the inhabitants constantly in motion?
2. How does the narrator describe time in the 17 June 1905 dream?
3. How does the narrator describe the phenomenon of people only living one day in the 3 June 1905 dream?
4. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have seen a glimpse of their future?
5. Why does the man at the graveside refuse to weep for his deceased friend?
6. What has the young woman at no. 27 Viktoriastrasse missed in her life because of the sudden thrust into the future?
7. What happens to the "withered woman" from the 2 June 1905 dream?
8. Describe the two different views people of the 15 June 1905 world can have.
9. Describe the way that time is experienced in the 5 June 1905 dream.
10. According to the 3 June 1905 dream, describe how a person born in December exists.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the formatting of the novel. Choose one of the following prompts discussing the formatting of the novel:
- Were you confused by the dates of the chapters and the meaning behind them?
- When did you realize the chapters were describing dreams and not realities for the novel?
- Why do you believe that readers are not given more information on Einstein himself about the movement of the novel?
- Do you think that this adds to the flow of the novel or hinders the flow of it?
- What relevance does Besso play in the novel?
- Why does the reader see more of his thoughts than Einstein's?
Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the following essay question being sure to use at least two examples and fully explaining the reasoning behind your answer:
- What is your least favorite dream from "Einstein's Dreams" and why?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the representation of time and dreams in the novel. Can you find any links that actualize the parallels between dreams and time? Cite three examples from the text that show commonalities between dreams and time. Discuss these parallels in a comparison essay.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)