|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is time, in the "17 June 1905" dream, described as?
2. In the "15 June 1905" dream, what is the young woman staring at?
3. According to the "20 May 1905 dream, what must people do at the end of the day?
4. Who is responsible for discovering the "speed effect?"
5. According to the narrator, the world described in the "11 June 1905" dream, is a world without what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have not seen a glimpse of their future yet?
2. For the world described in the 29 May 1905 dream, why are the inhabitants constantly in motion?
3. Describe the cafe that stands on the corner of Kramgasse and Theaterplatz.
4. How does the narrator describe time in the 17 June 1905 dream?
5. Describe the life of a peach in the world where time travels in reverse.
6. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have seen a glimpse of their future?
7. What has the young woman at no. 27 Viktoriastrasse missed in her life because of the sudden thrust into the future?
8. Describe the life of a "Now."
9. What options do people have when it comes to reading their Book of Life?
10. What is the young woman at no. 27 Viktoriastrasse doing right before she thrusts herself into the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reread the "8 May 1905" dream. Given the similar state of our world today (12-12-12 end of the world), whether you believe that the end of the world coincides with the end of the Mayan calendar, do you believe the movements described in the novel are believable? Why or why not? How do you think the period of time described in the novel should be spent? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Einstein and Besso. Who do you think the relationship is more important to? Why? Who do you think the relationship is more taxing on? Why? Is the relationship relevant to the understanding of the novel? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the representation of time and dreams in the novel. Can you find any links that actualize the parallels between dreams and time? Cite three examples from the text that show commonalities between dreams and time. Discuss these parallels in a comparison essay.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)