|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can a person see from the cafe on the corner of Kramagasse and Theaterplatz?
2. What is the narrator's explanation of such a short life in the "3 June 1905" dream?
3. What is wrong with the people who live in the world described in the "20 May 1905" dream?
4. What is the young woman staring at in the end of the "15 June 1905" dream?"
5. Who is responsible for discovering the "speed effect?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two different views people of the 15 June 1905 world can have.
2. Describe what happens between the baker and the woman in the 17 June 1905 dream.
3. Describe the way that time is experienced in the 5 June 1905 dream.
4. Why does the young man in the 17 June 1905 dream leave his lover and tell her he cannot see her again?
5. What is the young woman at no. 27 Viktoriastrasse doing right before she thrusts herself into the future?
6. For the world described in the 29 May 1905 dream, why are the inhabitants constantly in motion?
7. Describe the life of a "Now."
8. Why do sunset and sunrise babies become frightened when the light changes?
9. Why have some inhabitants of the 29 May 1905 world become frustrated and despondent?
10. Why does the man at the graveside refuse to weep for his deceased friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reread the 3 June 1905 dream. What "problems" do you find exist in this dream? What realities could actually exist in this world and what "realities" could not? What are the forces that work against each other in this dream? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein's health is a major concern for Besso. Why do you believe that Besso is concerned about Einstein's health? Are there any specific examples given in the Interludes that would make one think that there was reason for Besso's concern? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the representation of time and dreams in the novel. Can you find any links that actualize the parallels between dreams and time? Cite three examples from the text that show commonalities between dreams and time. Discuss these parallels in a comparison essay.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)