|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the "4 May 1905" dream, "If time and the passage of events are the same" what happens to time?
2. To what does the Zytgloggeturm pay tribute?
3. According to the narrator, what are people in a world of only one day?
4. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
5. If a person holds no ambitions in the world described in the "4 May 1905" dream, what happens to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the untidy people of the 11 May 1905 world do in life?
2. What happens one month before the world ends?
3. Explain the meeting between the two couples in the 4 May 1905 dream.
4. For the world described in the 11 May 1905 dream, describe the differences between the past and the future.
5. Why do schools close one year before the end of the world?
6. What happens to travelers as they enter the world described in the 14 May 1905 dream?
7. What happens one minute before the end of the world?
8. Why are some people unhappy in the world where time exists as a circle?
9. At the end of the 26 April 1905 dream, what are the negative effects of living in the mountains?
10. Explain what the following statement means: Each time is true, but the truths are not the same.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a representation of time from the novel and examine why it is not a realistic representation of time. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses as to why this "world" is the most unrealistic from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Einstein and Besso. Who do you think the relationship is more important to? Why? Who do you think the relationship is more taxing on? Why? Is the relationship relevant to the understanding of the novel? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
The end of the novel can be very confusing for some readers. Einstein is said to feel empty after giving his theory to the typist.
- For those readers that were confused by this, discuss why this statement is confusing. What makes you confused about the ending? What could have been done to help you understand the reasoning behind the ending?
- For those readers that were not confused by the ending, discuss the ending for you. Why did ending the novel this way bring closure for you? How did this ending make sense for you as a reader?
Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)