Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the man in the leather jacket work at in Berne?
2. If a person holds no ambitions in the world described in the "4 May 1905" dream, what happens to him?
3. What is the name of Basso's wife?
4. What did Einstein's theory of time begin as?
5. What is the woman in the shadows waiting for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the following statement means: Each time is true, but the truths are not the same.
2. What options do people have when it comes to reading their Book of Life?
3. Describe the way that time is experienced in the 5 June 1905 dream.
4. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have seen a glimpse of their future?
5. For the world described in the 29 May 1905 dream, why are the inhabitants constantly in motion?
6. How did the notion of the speed effect come to be known?
7. What happens to travelers as they enter the world described in the 14 May 1905 dream?
8. How does the narrator describe the phenomenon of people only living one day in the 3 June 1905 dream?
9. According to the first Interlude, why is Besso worried about Einstein?
10. Why was the creation of the Great Clock horrifying for humankind?
Essay Topic 1
Regard the novel as a whole. What did you find meaningful or meaningless? What gave you the most to think about and why? Did any part of the novel cause you to look at life and time and redefine the actions of your own life? What parts of the novel caused this re-defining of your own life? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the following essay question being sure to use at least two examples and fully explaining the reasoning behind your answer:
- What is your least favorite dream from "Einstein's Dreams" and why?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, do you believe the past is just as important as the present and future? Why? What evidence from the novel leads you to believe this? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)