|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Einstein and Besso walking in the "Interlude?"
2. Who has Besso received a letter from announcing a visit?
3. Why does Einstein want to understand time?
4. Where did Basso and Einstein meet?
5. In the "3 May 1905" dream, what have most people learned how to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do schools close one year before the end of the world?
2. Describe how the world is described in the 19 April 1905 dream.
3. Why are some people unhappy in the world where time exists as a circle?
4. Describe the people who live by "bodily time."
5. Why is there no communication between people of the present and people from the future? (16 April 1905)
6. At the end of the 26 April 1905 dream, what are the negative effects of living in the mountains?
7. What is the tragedy of the world described in the 10 May 1905 dream?
8. What effect does height have in the 26 April 1905 dream?
9. What do the untidy people of the 11 May 1905 world do in life?
10. What happens one minute before the end of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the formatting of the novel. Choose one of the following prompts discussing the formatting of the novel:
- Were you confused by the dates of the chapters and the meaning behind them?
- When did you realize the chapters were describing dreams and not realities for the novel?
- Why do you believe that readers are not given more information on Einstein himself about the movement of the novel?
- Do you think that this adds to the flow of the novel or hinders the flow of it?
- What relevance does Besso play in the novel?
- Why does the reader see more of his thoughts than Einstein's?
Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Regard the novel as a whole. What did you find meaningful or meaningless? What gave you the most to think about and why? Did any part of the novel cause you to look at life and time and redefine the actions of your own life? What parts of the novel caused this re-defining of your own life? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Einstein and Besso. Who do you think the relationship is more important to? Why? Who do you think the relationship is more taxing on? Why? Is the relationship relevant to the understanding of the novel? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)