|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the physical body?
2. How many pages is the young man's theory of time?
3. What is the name of Einstein's wife?
4. According to the narrator in the "3 May 1905" dream, a world of sincerity is also a world of what?
5. In the "3 May 1905" dream, what have most people learned how to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the life of a "Now."
2. For the world described in the 11 May 1905 dream, describe the differences between the past and the future.
3. How does the narrator describe the phenomenon of people only living one day in the 3 June 1905 dream?
4. Why do schools close one year before the end of the world?
5. How did the notion of the speed effect come to be known?
6. What are the benefits of living in a world in which cause and effect are erratic?
7. How can one identify people who have been transported back in time? (16 April 1905)
8. What is the young woman at no. 27 Viktoriastrasse doing right before she thrusts herself into the future?
9. What happens to travelers as they enter the world described in the 14 May 1905 dream?
10. Why does the man at the graveside refuse to weep for his deceased friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the limited use of illustrations in the novel. Why do you believe that illustrations are only used to lead into the "current time" of the novel? What is the importance of their placement? Do you believe that the illustrations are simply illustrations, or are they relative to the novel in a functional way? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Reread the 3 June 1905 dream. What "problems" do you find exist in this dream? What realities could actually exist in this world and what "realities" could not? What are the forces that work against each other in this dream? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Great Clock. What problems are associated with placing all trust in a manmade object? What are the benefits associated with placing all trust in a synthetic object? Would you choose to place you life in the motion of the clock or not? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 2,001 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)