|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To take advantage of what scientists have discovered in the past, what have some people done to their homes?
2. What is the name of Einstein's wife?
3. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
4. What is the name of the woman with the brocade in her hair?
5. What is the tragedy of the world described in the "10 May 1905" dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the people who live by "bodily time."
2. Why is there no communication between people of the present and people from the future? (16 April 1905)
3. What is the problem living life within the confines of solitary moments? (14 April 1905)
4. Describe Einstein's appearance at the patent office.
5. How can one identify people who have been transported back in time? (16 April 1905)
6. Describe the people who live by "mechanical time."
7. What is the tragedy of the world described in the 10 May 1905 dream?
8. What happens when there is only one day until the end of the world?
9. What are the benefits of living in a world in which cause and effect are erratic?
10. What are the benefits of a world in which time is absolute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The end of the novel can be very confusing for some readers. Einstein is said to feel empty after giving his theory to the typist.
- For those readers that were confused by this, discuss why this statement is confusing. What makes you confused about the ending? What could have been done to help you understand the reasoning behind the ending?
- For those readers that were not confused by the ending, discuss the ending for you. Why did ending the novel this way bring closure for you? How did this ending make sense for you as a reader?
Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Reread the "8 May 1905" dream. Given the similar state of our world today (12-12-12 end of the world), whether you believe that the end of the world coincides with the end of the Mayan calendar, do you believe the movements described in the novel are believable? Why or why not? How do you think the period of time described in the novel should be spent? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Answer the following essay question being sure to use at least two examples and fully explaining the reasoning behind your answer:
- What is your least favorite dream from "Einstein's Dreams" and why?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)