|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what does the passage of time bring?
2. For the town described in the "4 May 1905" dream, times passes, but what happens?
3. How does time move in the "14 May 1905" dream?
4. Why does Einstein want to understand time?
5. What is the tragedy of the world described in the "10 May 1905" dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Einstein's desk differ from the others in the patent office?
2. What happens to travelers as they enter the world described in the 14 May 1905 dream?
3. Why are some people unhappy in the world where time exists as a circle?
4. What happens one month before the world ends?
5. For the world described in the 11 May 1905 dream, describe the differences between the past and the future.
6. What are the benefits of a world in which time is absolute?
7. What happens every day for the townspeople of Berne? (28 April 1905)
8. Describe Einstein's appearance at the patent office.
9. Explain what the following statement means: Each time is true, but the truths are not the same.
10. What happens when there is only one day until the end of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Regard the novel as a whole. What did you find meaningful or meaningless? What gave you the most to think about and why? Did any part of the novel cause you to look at life and time and redefine the actions of your own life? What parts of the novel caused this re-defining of your own life? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
The end of the novel can be very confusing for some readers. Einstein is said to feel empty after giving his theory to the typist.
- For those readers that were confused by this, discuss why this statement is confusing. What makes you confused about the ending? What could have been done to help you understand the reasoning behind the ending?
- For those readers that were not confused by the ending, discuss the ending for you. Why did ending the novel this way bring closure for you? How did this ending make sense for you as a reader?
Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Given that this novel is written by someone other than Einstein, do you believe that the author was working out a theory of his own and used Einstein as a muse? What would support your standing? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)