|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song is the young man humming as he waits for the typist to come into the office?
2. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what does the passage of time bring?
3. According to the narrator, why do "cursed citizens wrestle with their bedsheets"?
4. At what time do the people of Berne convene at Kramgasse?
5. Why does Einstein sneak away from his wife in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens one minute before the end of the world?
2. What are the benefits of living in a world in which cause and effect are erratic?
3. What effect does height have in the 26 April 1905 dream?
4. Describe how the world is described in the 19 April 1905 dream.
5. Explain what the following statement means: Each time is true, but the truths are not the same.
6. Describe the people who live by "mechanical time."
7. Describe Einstein's appearance at the patent office.
8. What is the tragedy of the world described in the 10 May 1905 dream?
9. Why do schools close one year before the end of the world?
10. Why are some people unhappy in the world where time exists as a circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take into consideration the many different representations of time described in the novel. Find the most realistic representation of time, described in a dream, and build a case as to why it is the most reasonable representation of what time could be. Be sure to use textual based examples to prove why this representation could exist in reality.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the limited use of illustrations in the novel. Why do you believe that illustrations are only used to lead into the "current time" of the novel? What is the importance of their placement? Do you believe that the illustrations are simply illustrations, or are they relative to the novel in a functional way? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Einstein and Besso. Who do you think the relationship is more important to? Why? Who do you think the relationship is more taxing on? Why? Is the relationship relevant to the understanding of the novel? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)