|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of person does Besso think Einstein is?
2. What does the narrator say about a world with no time?
3. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, why do children who have left the city curse their parents?
4. According to the narrator, what is the physical body?
5. What is the name of Einstein's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way that time is experienced in the 5 June 1905 dream.
2. Why is there no communication between people of the present and people from the future? (16 April 1905)
3. How can one identify people who have been transported back in time? (16 April 1905)
4. What do the untidy people of the 11 May 1905 world do in life?
5. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have not seen a glimpse of their future yet?
6. How does the narrator describe the phenomenon of people only living one day in the 3 June 1905 dream?
7. What is the tragedy of the world described in the 10 May 1905 dream?
8. Why have some inhabitants of the 29 May 1905 world become frustrated and despondent?
9. At the end of the 26 April 1905 dream, what are the negative effects of living in the mountains?
10. Describe the life of a "Now."
Essay Topic 1
Choose a dream that would be the best and worst match for your life. Write a compare and contrast essay regarding why one best suits you and why the other does not. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein's health is a major concern for Besso. Why do you believe that Besso is concerned about Einstein's health? Are there any specific examples given in the Interludes that would make one think that there was reason for Besso's concern? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Salman Rushdie states that the novel is "intellectually provocative and touching and comical and so very beautifully written." (Dust cover quote-1993 edition by Pantheon Books, New York) What, from this quote, do you agree with? What do you disagree with? Based on your stand as a reader, support your belief with textual evidence. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 1,993 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)