|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the third Interlude, what does Besso say that he sees in the clouds?
(a) A goat chasing a man.
(b) A dog chasing a child.
(c) A man on a horse.
(d) A dog chasing a rabbit.
2. How is the population of the cities in the "9 June 1905" dreams split?
(a) In two: The Laters and the Nows.
(b) In four: The Laters, the Nows, the Nevers, and the Always.
(c) In three: The Laters, the Nows, the Intentionals.
(d) In three: The Laters, the Nows, and the Nevers.
3. In the "17 June 1905" dream, why does the young man tell his lover that he cannot see her again?
(a) Due to a gap in time, she lets on tear fall.
(b) Due to a gap in time, she hesitates.
(c) Due to a gap in time, she frowns.
(d) Due to a gap in time, she grimaces.
4. What happens to the people in the world, described in the "10 June 1905" dream, who attempt to quantify time?
(a) They are banished into other "worlds."
(b) They leave to find a place where they can quantify time.
(c) They turn to ice.
(d) They turn to stone.
5. What is the narrator's explanation of such a short life in the "3 June 1905" dream?
(a) That the earth spins forward only halfway through a full revolution and then moves backward to the starting point.
(b) That the Earth is farther out in the solar system (like Neptune).
(c) That a person's heart beats so slowly and powerfully that the heart wears out quickly.
(d) The earth spins so slowly that it takes a whole life time to complete one revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the people who live in the world described in the "20 May 1905" dream?
2. How do the Laters walk and dress?
3. According to the "29 May 1905" dream, why does this world exist as it does?
4. In the world described in the "3 June 1905" dream, how do people learn about the seasons?
5. What are gaps described as in this world's time, the "17 June 1905" dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have seen a glimpse of their future?
2. According to the 3 June 1905 dream, describe how a person born in December exists.
3. Why does the young man in the 17 June 1905 dream leave his lover and tell her he cannot see her again?
4. Describe the way that time is experienced in the 5 June 1905 dream.
5. In the 22 May 1905 dream, what happens for those who have not seen a glimpse of their future yet?
6. In the second Interlude, to what does Besso compare Einstein's present health?
7. Describe the two different views people of the 15 June 1905 world can have.
8. How does the narrator describe a world without a future?
9. Describe the life of a "Now."
10. Why have some inhabitants of the 29 May 1905 world become frustrated and despondent?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)