|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the physical body?
(a) A mass of organisms that pull in only one direction.
(b) A thing to be ordered, not obeyed.
(c) A thing to be obeyed, not ordered.
(d) A mass of organisms that pull in different directions at all times.
2. What does the narrator want readers to consider in the "3 May 1905" dream?
(a) A world in which life and death do not balance.
(b) A world in which cause and effect are erratic.
(c) A world in which cause and effect balance.
(d) A world in which life and death balance.
3. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
(a) Dark, indistinct clothing.
(b) Tatters of clothes.
(c) Bright, illuminating clothing.
(d) Nothing; their clothing does not transfer to other time periods.
4. How does time move in the "14 May 1905" dream?
(a) Outward in concentric circles, at rest at the center.
(b) Inward in spirals, exploding at the center.
(c) Outward in spirals, at rest in the center.
(d) Inward in concentric circles, exploding at the center.
5. What does the narrator say people transported to the past fear?
(a) Making the same mistakes they made in the "future."
(b) Nothing. They are not aware of the time transfer.
(c) A change they make in the past could affect the future.
(d) They fear not knowing how to act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of person does Besso think Einstein is?
2. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
3. What is the man on the fourth floor balcony looking down at?
4. Finish the following line: "A world in which time is absolute is a world of ____________."
5. What song is the young man humming as he waits for the typist to come into the office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there no communication between people of the present and people from the future? (16 April 1905)
2. What is the tragedy of the world described in the 10 May 1905 dream?
3. What effect does height have in the 26 April 1905 dream?
4. Why do people in the 26 April 1905 dream choose to live in the mountains?
5. Describe the people who live by "bodily time."
6. What happens one minute before the end of the world?
7. How does Einstein's desk differ from the others in the patent office?
8. Describe how the world is described in the 19 April 1905 dream.
9. According to the first Interlude, why is Besso worried about Einstein?
10. What happens every day for the townspeople of Berne? (28 April 1905)
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)