|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what did scientists discover in the past?
(a) That time moves slower the farther one is from the center of the earth.
(b) That time never forgets its past.
(c) That time moves faster the farther one is from the center of the earth.
(d) That time has "blips" that stop all things living.
2. What happens one month before the end of the world?
(a) Governments will shut down and martial law will take over.
(b) Businesses will close.
(c) Cities will be shut down and people will move to the country.
(d) Families will gather to spend the last month together.
3. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
(a) Dark, indistinct clothing.
(b) Tatters of clothes.
(c) Nothing; their clothing does not transfer to other time periods.
(d) Bright, illuminating clothing.
4. According to the narrator in the "3 May 1905" dream, a world of sincerity is also a world of what?
5. What is time compared to in the "16 April 1905" dream?
(a) A tree with leaves turning due to fall.
(b) A flow of water.
(c) A cocoon.
(d) A dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do travelers from the future envy?
2. What are the two times explained in the "24 April 1905" dream?
3. What do all of the people who have gathered together one minute before the end of the world do?
4. Why will schools close a year before the end of the world?
5. What kind of person does Besso think Einstein is?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the first Interlude, why is Besso worried about Einstein?
2. What happens one month before the world ends?
3. Describe how the world is described in the 19 April 1905 dream.
4. What happens to travelers as they enter the world described in the 14 May 1905 dream?
5. How does Einstein's desk differ from the others in the patent office?
6. Why do people in the 26 April 1905 dream choose to live in the mountains?
7. What is the problem living life within the confines of solitary moments? (14 April 1905)
8. What are the benefits of living in a world in which cause and effect are erratic?
9. Explain the meeting between the two couples in the 4 May 1905 dream.
10. For the world described in the 11 May 1905 dream, describe the differences between the past and the future.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)