|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what do parents treasure given they think they may not witness it again?
(a) Their child's first smile.
(b) Their child's first words.
(c) Their child's first cry.
(d) Their child's first laugh.
2. What do those of religious faith see time as evidence of?
(b) The Apocalypse.
(c) The Second Coming.
3. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
(a) Nothing; their clothing does not transfer to other time periods.
(b) Tatters of clothes.
(c) Bright, illuminating clothing.
(d) Dark, indistinct clothing.
4. What month is it in the "19 April 1905" dream?
5. While walking with Einstein, during the Interlude, what does Besso wonder about?
(a) Why he ever started this friendship with Einstein.
(b) Why he is not the man Einstein is.
(c) Einstein's plans for the future.
(d) What his wife has cooked for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tragedy of the world described in the "10 May 1905" dream?
2. Where did Basso and Einstein meet?
3. In what month is the Prologue set?
4. Why does the terrace of the Bundesterrasse have a striking view?
5. How does a traveler from the future talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the meeting between the two couples in the 4 May 1905 dream.
2. What effect does height have in the 26 April 1905 dream?
3. Why are some people unhappy in the world where time exists as a circle?
4. What happens when there is only one day until the end of the world?
5. Why is there no communication between people of the present and people from the future? (16 April 1905)
6. How can one identify people who have been transported back in time? (16 April 1905)
7. According to the first Interlude, why is Besso worried about Einstein?
8. What are the benefits of living in a world in which cause and effect are erratic?
9. Describe the people who live by "mechanical time."
10. Why does Besso think that Einstein is capable of anything?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)