|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will schools close a year before the end of the world?
(a) Because there will be no need to learn with the end so close.
(b) Because schools were to be used as relief centers.
(c) Because "end of the world" vacations needed to be taken.
(d) Because families want time to spend together.
2. What is curious about the town in the "10 May 1905" dream?
(a) The town exists in three different time periods.
(b) The town exists two centuries in the past.
(c) The town exists one century in the past.
(d) The town is split in two and exists as a repetition of each other.
3. How many pages is the young man's theory of time?
4. What does the narrator say about a world with no time?
(a) The world forgets how to function.
(b) There is no life without time.
(c) Without time the world fails to progress at a natural pace.
(d) People take too much for granted.
5. According to the narrator, people in their correct time period do not make contact with those from the future. How are those from the future looked at?
(a) They are feared.
(b) They are immortalized.
(c) They are pitied.
(d) They are honored.
6. Why is the woman in the linen shop on Amthausgasse?
(a) To purchase linens for a funeral.
(b) To talk to her friend about a project that is coming due.
(c) To purchase linens for her daughter's wedding.
(d) To talk to her friend about losing her job.
7. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
(a) Parents with their children and lovers.
(b) Everyone at least once in his or her life.
(c) Those close to death.
(d) Only newlyweds.
8. Where do the Swiss and English couples meet yearly?
(a) St. Moritz.
9. Where are Einstein and Besso walking in the "Interlude?"
(a) On the Kierstach.
(b) On Speichergasse.
(c) Near the Aase.
(d) On the square.
10. In the "3 May 1905" dream, what have most people learned how to do?
(a) Live in the moment.
(b) Live for the future.
(c) Live in the past.
(d) Live in fear.
11. What do all of the people who have gathered together one minute before the end of the world do?
(a) Form a circle and hold hands.
(b) Lay down in family groups and hold each other.
(c) Look to the sky and sing.
(d) Kneel and pray.
12. What is wondrous about the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream?
(a) Nothing is out of place.
(b) No one needs sleep to re-energize.
(c) Money is not needed.
(d) All inhabitants live in dream-like states.
13. According to the narrator, what are people in a world of only one day?
14. What is the tragedy of the world described in the "10 May 1905" dream?
(a) No one is happy.
(b) Everyone is dying.
(c) No one can help but sin.
(d) Everyone is sick.
15. According to the narrator, why do "cursed citizens wrestle with their bedsheets"?
(a) Because they feel torn by time.
(b) Because their mistakes will be repeated.
(c) Because they have sinned.
(d) Because their lives are in shambles.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the room full of?
2. What happens one month before the end of the world?
3. What month is it in the "19 April 1905" dream?
4. Where does the man in the leather jacket work at in Berne?
5. One day before the end of the world, how are the streets described?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)