|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has Besso received a letter from announcing a visit?
(a) His sister.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
2. Where do all of the people gather one minute before the end of the world?
(a) On the grounds of their churches.
(b) On the Kunst museum grounds.
(c) In the square.
(d) In the water of the Aare.
3. Why will schools close a year before the end of the world?
(a) Because families want time to spend together.
(b) Because there will be no need to learn with the end so close.
(c) Because schools were to be used as relief centers.
(d) Because "end of the world" vacations needed to be taken.
4. According to the narrator, why do people wear watches?
(a) As ornaments.
(b) As reminders.
(c) As weight for balance.
(d) As time keepers.
5. According to the "4 May 1905" dream, "If time and the passage of events are the same" what happens to time?
(a) Time moves very fast.
(b) People move very fast.
(c) People barely move at all.
(d) Time barely moves at all.
6. What does the narrator want readers to suppose time is?
(a) An arc.
(b) An ellipse.
(c) A circle.
(d) A sphere.
7. At what time do the people of Berne convene at Kramgasse?
(a) At two minutes to two.
(b) At seven minutes to five.
(c) At three minutes to four.
(d) At four minutes to three.
8. While walking with Einstein, during the Interlude, what does Besso wonder about?
(a) Why he ever started this friendship with Einstein.
(b) Why he is not the man Einstein is.
(c) Einstein's plans for the future.
(d) What his wife has cooked for dinner.
9. What does the narrator say people transported to the past fear?
(a) Making the same mistakes they made in the "future."
(b) They fear not knowing how to act.
(c) A change they make in the past could affect the future.
(d) Nothing. They are not aware of the time transfer.
10. Where is the young man's theory of time to be mailed?
(a) The American journal of physics.
(b) The European journal of physics.
(c) The German journal of physics.
(d) The Swiss journal of physics.
11. What do those of religious faith see time as evidence of?
(b) The Second Coming.
(c) The Apocalypse.
12. According to the narrator, without commitment there is what?
13. According to the narrator, what is the physical body?
(a) A thing to be ordered, not obeyed.
(b) A mass of organisms that pull in only one direction.
(c) A thing to be obeyed, not ordered.
(d) A mass of organisms that pull in different directions at all times.
14. What is the name of the woman with the brocade in her hair?
15. What song is the young man humming as he waits for the typist to come into the office?
(a) Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata."
(b) Beethoven's "Fantasy in G."
(c) Beethoven's "The Creatures of Prometheus."
(d) Beethoven's "Fur Elise."
Short Answer Questions
1. For the town described in the "4 May 1905" dream, times passes, but what happens?
2. Why is the woman in the linen shop on Amthausgasse?
3. Where does the man in the leather jacket work at in Berne?
4. What kind of person does Besso think Einstein is?
5. In the "10 May 1905" dream, why is one man sitting at a table weeping uncontrollably?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)