|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the man in the leather jacket work at in Berne?
(a) A bank.
(b) A tavern.
(c) A pharmaceutical.
(d) A brasserie.
2. If a person holds no ambitions in the world described in the "4 May 1905" dream, what happens to him?
(a) He suffers unknowingly.
(b) He lives life in wealth.
(c) He suffers knowingly.
(d) He lives life in poverty.
3. What is the name of Basso's wife?
4. What did Einstein's theory of time begin as?
(a) An investigation of survival of the fittest.
(b) An investigation of Plato's theories.
(c) An investigation of Socrates' theories.
(d) An investigation of electricity and magnetism.
5. What is the woman in the shadows waiting for?
(a) To hear the church bells chime three times.
(b) To be arrested so she can keep her timeline of life intact.
(c) To hear a cardinal sing.
(d) To be carried back to her own time.
6. Where do the Swiss and English couples meet yearly?
(c) St. Moritz.
7. While walking with Einstein, during the Interlude, what does Besso wonder about?
(a) Why he is not the man Einstein is.
(b) Why he ever started this friendship with Einstein.
(c) Einstein's plans for the future.
(d) What his wife has cooked for dinner.
8. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what happens in the springtime?
(a) The people gather at a central point and sing praise to Mother Nature.
(b) The season reverses and goes back towards winter.
(c) The people leave so that the town can realign on its own.
(d) The people try to make the world disorderly.
9. According to the narrator in the "28 April 1905" dream, what is visible in all places?
(c) The past.
(d) The future.
10. According to the narrator, why do "cursed citizens wrestle with their bedsheets"?
(a) Because their lives are in shambles.
(b) Because their mistakes will be repeated.
(c) Because they have sinned.
(d) Because they feel torn by time.
11. One day before the end of the world, how are the streets described?
(a) Full of animals who have taken over.
(b) Swirling in laughter.
(d) In the process of being cleaned.
12. Why does the terrace of the Bundesterrasse have a striking view?
(a) Because of the view of the square.
(b) Because of the Aare river and the Bernese Alps.
(c) Because of the view of the Bundes Falls.
(d) Because of the view of the cathedral.
13. Where is the young man's theory of time to be mailed?
(a) The European journal of physics.
(b) The Swiss journal of physics.
(c) The American journal of physics.
(d) The German journal of physics.
14. How old is Einstein in the novel?
15. According to the narrator, what is the physical body?
(a) A thing to be obeyed, not ordered.
(b) A thing to be ordered, not obeyed.
(c) A mass of organisms that pull in only one direction.
(d) A mass of organisms that pull in different directions at all times.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time do the people of Berne convene at Kramgasse?
2. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
3. According to the narrator in the "3 May 1905" dream, a world of sincerity is also a world of what?
4. To what does the Zytgloggeturm pay tribute?
5. What happens one month before the end of the world?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)