|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the woman saying goodbye to in the hospital on Gerberngasse?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her child.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
2. On the last day of the world, who are the people with the unnatural smiles?
(a) Those who are stealing.
(b) Those who have not yet atoned for their sins.
(c) Those who do not think the world is going to end.
(d) Those who are attempting to correct misdeeds.
3. What is the man on the fourth floor balcony looking down at?
(a) A blue coat.
(b) A dog looking for food.
(c) A red hat.
(d) A child playing in the street.
4. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
(a) Tatters of clothes.
(b) Dark, indistinct clothing.
(c) Nothing; their clothing does not transfer to other time periods.
(d) Bright, illuminating clothing.
5. What is the name of the woman with the brocade in her hair?
6. Why does Einstein sneak away from his wife in the middle of the night?
(a) To walk in solitude.
(b) To meet a mistress.
(c) To drink with Besso.
(d) To work on equations.
7. According to the narrator in the "3 May 1905" dream, a world of sincerity is also a world of what?
8. How does a traveler from the future talk?
(a) They speak in languages not understood by those around them.
(b) They scream animalistic sounds.
(c) They whisper tortured sounds.
(d) They cannot talk because they are mute.
9. While walking with Einstein, during the Interlude, what does Besso wonder about?
(a) Einstein's plans for the future.
(b) Why he is not the man Einstein is.
(c) Why he ever started this friendship with Einstein.
(d) What his wife has cooked for dinner.
10. What did Einstein's theory of time begin as?
(a) An investigation of Plato's theories.
(b) An investigation of survival of the fittest.
(c) An investigation of electricity and magnetism.
(d) An investigation of Socrates' theories.
11. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
(a) Those close to death.
(b) Only newlyweds.
(c) Parents with their children and lovers.
(d) Everyone at least once in his or her life.
12. How many pages is the young man's theory of time?
13. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what happens in the springtime?
(a) The people leave so that the town can realign on its own.
(b) The season reverses and goes back towards winter.
(c) The people gather at a central point and sing praise to Mother Nature.
(d) The people try to make the world disorderly.
14. According to the narrator, what are people in a world of only one day?
15. What does the narrator want readers to suppose time is?
(a) A sphere.
(b) An ellipse.
(c) A circle.
(d) An arc.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time do the people of Berne convene at Kramgasse?
2. What does the narrator say about a world with no time?
3. What is the tragedy of the world described in the "10 May 1905" dream?
4. What month does the Swiss and English couple meet to vacation together?
5. According to the dream on "24 April 1905," what happens when the two "times" meet?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)