|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the woman in the shadows waiting for?
(a) To hear the church bells chime three times.
(b) To be carried back to her own time.
(c) To be arrested so she can keep her timeline of life intact.
(d) To hear a cardinal sing.
2. According to the narrator, without commitment there is what?
3. What happens one month before the end of the world?
(a) Governments will shut down and martial law will take over.
(b) Families will gather to spend the last month together.
(c) Cities will be shut down and people will move to the country.
(d) Businesses will close.
4. What does the narrator want readers to suppose time is?
(a) An ellipse.
(b) A sphere.
(c) A circle.
(d) An arc.
5. According to the narrator, why do "cursed citizens wrestle with their bedsheets"?
(a) Because they have sinned.
(b) Because their mistakes will be repeated.
(c) Because their lives are in shambles.
(d) Because they feel torn by time.
6. What happens to time in the "14 May 1905" dream?
(a) Time is sped up.
(b) Time stands still.
(c) Time is set in a constant loop.
(d) Time moves slowly.
7. How many times do the St. Vincent's Cathedral bells chime at the end of the 24 April 1905 dream?
8. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
(a) Bright, illuminating clothing.
(b) Dark, indistinct clothing.
(c) Tatters of clothes.
(d) Nothing; their clothing does not transfer to other time periods.
9. What does the narrator want readers to consider in the "3 May 1905" dream?
(a) A world in which cause and effect are erratic.
(b) A world in which life and death balance.
(c) A world in which cause and effect balance.
(d) A world in which life and death do not balance.
10. To what does the Zytgloggeturm pay tribute?
(a) The future.
(c) The past.
(d) The infinite.
11. For the town described in the "4 May 1905" dream, times passes, but what happens?
(a) Much happens.
(b) Little happens.
(c) Nothing happens.
(d) Too much happens.
12. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
(a) Everyone at least once in his or her life.
(b) Only newlyweds.
(c) Parents with their children and lovers.
(d) Those close to death.
13. According to the narrator in the "3 May 1905" dream, a world of sincerity is also a world of what?
14. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, why do children who have left the city curse their parents?
(a) For trying to hold them forever.
(b) For extending their life.
(c) For bearing them in the first place.
(d) For loving them too much.
15. According to the narrator, what is the room full of?
(a) Too many hopes to account for.
(b) Dreams and desires.
(c) Practical ideas.
(d) Fluttering beliefs of accomplishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman saying goodbye to in the hospital on Gerberngasse?
2. What do travelers from the future envy?
3. What happens to light in the "14 May 1905" dreams?
4. In the Prologue, how many times does the clock tower chime?
5. What rushes forward to envelope the people in the last seconds before the world ends?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)