|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the European Union of 1979 depend upon?
(a) The death of Sanze Kinterton.
(b) The meeting of Fredderik Strauss and Ivan Tauchnik.
(c) Hans Klausen's birth.
(d) The marriage of Franz Kipperten and Penelope Marden.
2. According to the narrator, what are people in a world of only one day?
3. To take advantage of what scientists have discovered in the past, what have some people done to their homes?
(a) Built them in caves.
(b) Built them on boats over the Equator.
(c) Placed them on stilts in the mountains.
(d) Built them with no contract on time.
4. What do all of the people who have gathered together one minute before the end of the world do?
(a) Kneel and pray.
(b) Look to the sky and sing.
(c) Form a circle and hold hands.
(d) Lay down in family groups and hold each other.
5. What do travelers from the future envy?
(c) People who live in their own time.
6. According to the narrator in the "28 April 1905" dream, what is visible in all places?
(c) The future.
(d) The past.
7. What is wondrous about the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream?
(a) No one needs sleep to re-energize.
(b) All inhabitants live in dream-like states.
(c) Nothing is out of place.
(d) Money is not needed.
8. What is the name of the woman with the brocade in her hair?
9. According to the narrator, why do people wear watches?
(a) As reminders.
(b) As ornaments.
(c) As time keepers.
(d) As weight for balance.
10. What song is the young man humming as he waits for the typist to come into the office?
(a) Beethoven's "Fantasy in G."
(b) Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata."
(c) Beethoven's "Fur Elise."
(d) Beethoven's "The Creatures of Prometheus."
11. Where do the Swiss and English couples meet yearly?
(a) St. Moritz.
12. In the Prologue, how many times does the clock tower chime?
13. What rushes forward to envelope the people in the last seconds before the world ends?
(a) Flood waters.
14. How old is Einstein in the novel?
15. What happens to light in the "14 May 1905" dreams?
(a) There is no light at all, only pure darkness.
(b) Light exists as ribbons of multifaceted color.
(c) There is only blinding white light.
(d) There is no intensity; light looks like fireflies.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
2. According to the narrator, what did "just as things will be repeated in the future, all things now happening" do?
3. What happens one month before the end of the world?
4. According to the "8 May 1905" dream, what is the date the world will end?
5. What is the tragedy of the world described in the "10 May 1905" dream?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)