|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man on the fourth floor balcony looking down at?
(a) A blue coat.
(b) A red hat.
(c) A child playing in the street.
(d) A dog looking for food.
2. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what happens in the springtime?
(a) The people gather at a central point and sing praise to Mother Nature.
(b) The people try to make the world disorderly.
(c) The people leave so that the town can realign on its own.
(d) The season reverses and goes back towards winter.
3. Why does Einstein want to understand time?
(a) To get close to The Old One.
(b) To speed time up.
(c) To be able to plan his life more accordingly.
(d) To slow time down.
4. What is the name of Einstein's wife?
5. According to the narrator, what is the room full of?
(a) Dreams and desires.
(b) Too many hopes to account for.
(c) Practical ideas.
(d) Fluttering beliefs of accomplishment.
6. According to the narrator, why do "cursed citizens wrestle with their bedsheets"?
(a) Because they feel torn by time.
(b) Because their mistakes will be repeated.
(c) Because their lives are in shambles.
(d) Because they have sinned.
7. According to the narrator in the "3 May 1905" dream, a world of sincerity is also a world of what?
8. Who is the woman saying goodbye to in the hospital on Gerberngasse?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her child.
(d) Her father.
9. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
(a) Only newlyweds.
(b) Those close to death.
(c) Parents with their children and lovers.
(d) Everyone at least once in his or her life.
10. What is the last image readers are left with at the end of the "15 May 1905" dream?
(a) A clock with pendulum stuck mid-swing.
(b) A broken watch.
(c) A yellow brush.
(d) A book lying on a table.
11. What rushes forward to envelope the people in the last seconds before the world ends?
(d) Flood waters.
12. Why does Einstein sneak away from his wife in the middle of the night?
(a) To work on equations.
(b) To drink with Besso.
(c) To meet a mistress.
(d) To walk in solitude.
13. How old is Einstein in the novel?
14. Why will schools close a year before the end of the world?
(a) Because there will be no need to learn with the end so close.
(b) Because families want time to spend together.
(c) Because "end of the world" vacations needed to be taken.
(d) Because schools were to be used as relief centers.
15. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, why do children who have left the city curse their parents?
(a) For extending their life.
(b) For loving them too much.
(c) For bearing them in the first place.
(d) For trying to hold them forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what do parents treasure given they think they may not witness it again?
2. According to the narrator, what is the physical body?
3. If a person holds no ambitions in the world described in the "4 May 1905" dream, what happens to him?
4. Why does the terrace of the Bundesterrasse have a striking view?
5. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)