|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, why do children who have left the city curse their parents?
(a) For bearing them in the first place.
(b) For loving them too much.
(c) For extending their life.
(d) For trying to hold them forever.
2. According to the narrator, what did scientists discover in the past?
(a) That time moves slower the farther one is from the center of the earth.
(b) That time has "blips" that stop all things living.
(c) That time moves faster the farther one is from the center of the earth.
(d) That time never forgets its past.
3. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
(a) Tatters of clothes.
(b) Dark, indistinct clothing.
(c) Nothing; their clothing does not transfer to other time periods.
(d) Bright, illuminating clothing.
4. Why is the woman in the linen shop on Amthausgasse?
(a) To talk to her friend about losing her job.
(b) To purchase linens for a funeral.
(c) To talk to her friend about a project that is coming due.
(d) To purchase linens for her daughter's wedding.
5. For the town described in the "4 May 1905" dream, times passes, but what happens?
(a) Much happens.
(b) Nothing happens.
(c) Too much happens.
(d) Little happens.
6. According to the narrator, what do parents treasure given they think they may not witness it again?
(a) Their child's first words.
(b) Their child's first smile.
(c) Their child's first cry.
(d) Their child's first laugh.
7. According to the narrator, what are people in a world of only one day?
8. What month is it in the "19 April 1905" dream?
9. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what happens in the springtime?
(a) The season reverses and goes back towards winter.
(b) The people leave so that the town can realign on its own.
(c) The people gather at a central point and sing praise to Mother Nature.
(d) The people try to make the world disorderly.
10. What is time compared to in the "16 April 1905" dream?
(a) A flow of water.
(b) A cocoon.
(c) A tree with leaves turning due to fall.
(d) A dream.
11. One day before the end of the world, how are the streets described?
(a) Swirling in laughter.
(b) Full of animals who have taken over.
(d) In the process of being cleaned.
12. On the last day of the world, who are the people with the unnatural smiles?
(a) Those who do not think the world is going to end.
(b) Those who are attempting to correct misdeeds.
(c) Those who have not yet atoned for their sins.
(d) Those who are stealing.
13. Where does the man in the leather jacket work at in Berne?
(a) A brasserie.
(b) A tavern.
(c) A pharmaceutical.
(d) A bank.
14. To what does the Zytgloggeturm pay tribute?
(b) The past.
(c) The infinite.
(d) The future.
15. If a person holds no ambitions in the world described in the "4 May 1905" dream, what happens to him?
(a) He lives life in poverty.
(b) He lives life in wealth.
(c) He suffers knowingly.
(d) He suffers unknowingly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do travelers from the future envy?
2. What is the woman in the shadows waiting for?
3. What does the narrator say people transported to the past fear?
4. How old is Einstein in the novel?
5. What is curious about the town in the "10 May 1905" dream?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)