|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do those of religious faith see time as evidence of?
(a) The Apocalypse.
(b) The Second Coming.
2. One day before the end of the world, how are the streets described?
(a) In the process of being cleaned.
(b) Full of animals who have taken over.
(c) Swirling in laughter.
3. According to the narrator, what is the physical body?
(a) A mass of organisms that pull in only one direction.
(b) A thing to be ordered, not obeyed.
(c) A mass of organisms that pull in different directions at all times.
(d) A thing to be obeyed, not ordered.
4. Where do all of the people gather one minute before the end of the world?
(a) On the grounds of their churches.
(b) In the water of the Aare.
(c) In the square.
(d) On the Kunst museum grounds.
5. Who has Besso received a letter from announcing a visit?
(a) His sister.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
6. Finish the following line: "A world in which time is absolute is a world of ____________."
7. How many times do the St. Vincent's Cathedral bells chime at the end of the 24 April 1905 dream?
8. While walking with Einstein, during the Interlude, what does Besso wonder about?
(a) Einstein's plans for the future.
(b) What his wife has cooked for dinner.
(c) Why he ever started this friendship with Einstein.
(d) Why he is not the man Einstein is.
9. According to the narrator, people in their correct time period do not make contact with those from the future. How are those from the future looked at?
(a) They are pitied.
(b) They are honored.
(c) They are feared.
(d) They are immortalized.
10. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what does the passage of time bring?
(a) Decreasing order.
(b) Increasing order.
(c) Increasing anxiety.
(d) Decreasing anxiety.
11. Where is Besso's visitor from?
12. What rushes forward to envelope the people in the last seconds before the world ends?
(b) Flood waters.
13. According to the narrator, what is the room full of?
(a) Too many hopes to account for.
(b) Fluttering beliefs of accomplishment.
(c) Dreams and desires.
(d) Practical ideas.
14. According to the narrator in the "3 May 1905" dream, a world of sincerity is also a world of what?
15. To what does the Zytgloggeturm pay tribute?
(a) The infinite.
(b) The future.
(d) The past.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is the Prologue set?
2. According to the narrator, why do people wear watches?
3. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
4. What does the narrator say people transported to the past fear?
5. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what happens in the springtime?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)