|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the physical body?
(a) A thing to be ordered, not obeyed.
(b) A mass of organisms that pull in only one direction.
(c) A mass of organisms that pull in different directions at all times.
(d) A thing to be obeyed, not ordered.
2. According to the narrator, what do people who have been transported back in time wear?
(a) Dark, indistinct clothing.
(b) Tatters of clothes.
(c) Bright, illuminating clothing.
(d) Nothing; their clothing does not transfer to other time periods.
3. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, who makes pilgrimages to the center of time?
(a) Only newlyweds.
(b) Those close to death.
(c) Parents with their children and lovers.
(d) Everyone at least once in his or her life.
4. In the world described in the "11 May 1905" dream, what happens in the springtime?
(a) The season reverses and goes back towards winter.
(b) The people leave so that the town can realign on its own.
(c) The people try to make the world disorderly.
(d) The people gather at a central point and sing praise to Mother Nature.
5. According to the "14 May 1905" dream, why do children who have left the city curse their parents?
(a) For bearing them in the first place.
(b) For extending their life.
(c) For loving them too much.
(d) For trying to hold them forever.
6. What does the narrator want readers to suppose time is?
(a) A circle.
(b) An ellipse.
(c) An arc.
(d) A sphere.
7. According to the "8 May 1905" dream, what is the date the world will end?
(a) 26 September 1907.
(b) 9 May 1906.
(c) 12 December 2012.
(d) 9 June 1905.
8. According to the dream on "24 April 1905," what happens when the two "times" meet?
9. Who is the woman saying goodbye to in the hospital on Gerberngasse?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her child.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband.
10. While walking with Einstein, during the Interlude, what does Besso wonder about?
(a) Why he ever started this friendship with Einstein.
(b) Einstein's plans for the future.
(c) What his wife has cooked for dinner.
(d) Why he is not the man Einstein is.
11. Why does Einstein sneak away from his wife in the middle of the night?
(a) To work on equations.
(b) To meet a mistress.
(c) To walk in solitude.
(d) To drink with Besso.
12. In what month is the Prologue set?
13. Why will schools close a year before the end of the world?
(a) Because families want time to spend together.
(b) Because schools were to be used as relief centers.
(c) Because there will be no need to learn with the end so close.
(d) Because "end of the world" vacations needed to be taken.
14. One day before the end of the world, how are the streets described?
(a) Swirling in laughter.
(c) Full of animals who have taken over.
(d) In the process of being cleaned.
15. Finish the following line: "A world in which time is absolute is a world of ____________."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Basso and Einstein meet?
2. In the "3 May 1905" dream, what have most people learned how to do?
3. What happens to time in the "14 May 1905" dream?
4. Where is Besso's visitor from?
5. What rushes forward to envelope the people in the last seconds before the world ends?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)