|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Prologue, how many times does the clock tower chime?
2. According to the narrator, why do people wear watches?
(a) As weight for balance.
(b) As time keepers.
(c) As reminders.
(d) As ornaments.
3. According to the narrator, what are people in a world of only one day?
4. Why is the woman, hiding at no. 22 Kamgasse, crouching in the shadows?
(a) She is afraid of being attacked.
(b) She is afraid of kicking up dust.
(c) She has been assaulted and does not know whom to trust.
(d) She is not sure where she is.
5. What do travelers from the future envy?
(a) People who live in their own time.
6. What do all of the people who have gathered together one minute before the end of the world do?
(a) Form a circle and hold hands.
(b) Kneel and pray.
(c) Look to the sky and sing.
(d) Lay down in family groups and hold each other.
7. What does the narrator say people transported to the past fear?
(a) They fear not knowing how to act.
(b) Making the same mistakes they made in the "future."
(c) A change they make in the past could affect the future.
(d) Nothing. They are not aware of the time transfer.
8. What is the woman in the shadows waiting for?
(a) To be carried back to her own time.
(b) To be arrested so she can keep her timeline of life intact.
(c) To hear a cardinal sing.
(d) To hear the church bells chime three times.
9. In the "3 May 1905" dream, what have most people learned how to do?
(a) Live in the moment.
(b) Live for the future.
(c) Live in the past.
(d) Live in fear.
10. Finish the following line: "A world in which time is absolute is a world of ____________."
11. Why does the terrace of the Bundesterrasse have a striking view?
(a) Because of the view of the Bundes Falls.
(b) Because of the view of the cathedral.
(c) Because of the view of the square.
(d) Because of the Aare river and the Bernese Alps.
12. According to the narrator, why do "cursed citizens wrestle with their bedsheets"?
(a) Because they have sinned.
(b) Because their mistakes will be repeated.
(c) Because they feel torn by time.
(d) Because their lives are in shambles.
13. According to the narrator, what is a world with one month a world of?
14. How many times do the St. Vincent's Cathedral bells chime at the end of the 24 April 1905 dream?
15. Who has Besso received a letter from announcing a visit?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will schools close a year before the end of the world?
2. To take advantage of what scientists have discovered in the past, what have some people done to their homes?
3. According to the dream on "24 April 1905," what happens when the two "times" meet?
4. What do those of religious faith see time as evidence of?
5. Who is the woman saying goodbye to in the hospital on Gerberngasse?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)