|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Toby able to come and go easily from home?
2. What does Marshall notice while the others are performing the Ceremony of the Dead?
3. What does Toby confide to April and Melanie?
4. How do the Egyptians prepare for the Ceremony of Returning to the Oracle for the Answer?
5. What is Ken's reaction to the Egypt Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story the Egyptians develop for the demise of Elizabeth's parakeet, Petey?
2. What is the Oracle of Thoth?
3. Where is Security found?
4. What secret does Toby reveal to April and Melanie?
5. Who are the intruders in Egypt on Halloween night?
6. Why does Toby want to finish the hieroglyphic alphabet?
7. What does April learn about the Professor from Marshall?
8. What happens when April and Marshall leave Egypt after visiting there at night?
9. What do the Egyptians find when they return to Egypt to learn whether the Oracle has spoken?
10. What news does April receive in a letter from her mother after Halloween?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Melanie, Marshall, and Ken are the only characters in the novel who live in a traditional family. In what ways do the characters playing the Egypt Game become an extended family for the children? Discuss the concept of family and Snyder's presentation of the American family. What does it consist of? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why was a sense of belonging significant to the characters in The Egypt Game? Would these characters have a sense of belonging if it were not for the Egypt Game?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the theme of violence have and how does this theme contribute to the meaning of the novel? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)