|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Egyptians give themselves for the purpose of writing notes?
2. Why is Security missing?
3. What do Ken and Toby tell their basketball friends about why they have been absent from the game?
4. What is Ken's reaction to the Egypt Game?
5. What news does April receive in a letter from her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the older Egyptians want to stop playing the Egypt Game?
2. Describe the Ceremony of the Dead.
3. How does April respond to her mother's invitation to join her in Palm Springs during Christmas break?
4. What do the Egyptians find when they return to Egypt to learn whether the Oracle has spoken?
5. Where is Security found?
6. What news does April receive in a letter from her mother after Halloween?
7. What does April learn about the Professor from Marshall?
8. What happens when April and Marshall leave Egypt after visiting there at night?
9. Why does Toby want to finish the hieroglyphic alphabet?
10. Why are the Egyptians unable to return to their game during Christmas break?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the chapter, Prisoners of Fear, it states "Elizabeth turned out to be just what the Egypt Game needed to make it perfect." Please explain this comment using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Melanie, Marshall, and Ken are the only characters in the novel who live in a traditional family. In what ways do the characters playing the Egypt Game become an extended family for the children? Discuss the concept of family and Snyder's presentation of the American family. What does it consist of? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How can children from such different backgrounds become such good friends? What do the Egyptians learn from each other? How do their relationships change the way they see themselves? Use examples from the book in your answer.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)