|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Egyptians name the owl's head now perched on Set's altar?
2. What does Toby experience the last time he visits Egypt alone?
3. What is Elizabeth's solution regarding what to do with the intruders?
4. What happens when April and Marshall leave Egypt after visiting at night?
5. Why do the Egyptians have to leave Egypt immediately after the second Ceremony of Presenting the Question to the Oracle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are April and Melanie's thoughts about Ken and Toby's interest in the Egypt Game?
2. How does Marshal describe the man who hurt April?
3. How did Security become lost?
4. What secret does Toby reveal to April and Melanie?
5. What is April's solution to the intruder situation in Egypt?
6. What is the Oracle of Thoth?
7. How does April respond to her mother's invitation to join her in Palm Springs during Christmas break?
8. Why does Toby want to finish the hieroglyphic alphabet?
9. What do the Egyptians find when they return to Egypt to learn whether the Oracle has spoken?
10. What is the story the Egyptians develop for the demise of Elizabeth's parakeet, Petey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the author's treatment of the Professor. How is he presented, and what is his role in the novel? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
a. In what ways does The Egypt Game reflect the kinds of social and family structure changes that took place in the United States during the 1960s?
b. Compare and contrast the sixth graders in The Egypt Game to sixth graders today. Has anything changed in the past forty years?
Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Melanie, Marshall, and Ken are the only characters in the novel who live in a traditional family. In what ways do the characters playing the Egypt Game become an extended family for the children? Discuss the concept of family and Snyder's presentation of the American family. What does it consist of? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)