|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melanie suggest to Marshall about Security?
2. What do April and Melanie think will happen with the boys' involvement in the Egypt Game?
3. What do the Egyptians do after Marshall's question is answered?
4. What do the Egyptians give themselves for the purpose of writing notes?
5. What does Marshall notice while the others are performing the Ceremony of the Dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the inspiration for the Oracle ceremony?
2. Why does Toby want to finish the hieroglyphic alphabet?
3. What secret does Toby reveal to April and Melanie?
4. What is April's solution to the intruder situation in Egypt?
5. What news does April receive in a letter from her mother after Halloween?
6. How did Security become lost?
7. What is the story the Egyptians develop for the demise of Elizabeth's parakeet, Petey?
8. Who are the intruders in Egypt on Halloween night?
9. What are April and Melanie's thoughts about Ken and Toby's interest in the Egypt Game?
10. What happens to Elizabeth's parakeet, Petey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tension between the innocence of the children playing their game and the real-world events that occur in the story. Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Egypt Game so appealing to the children in the story? Would the Egypt Game be of interest to most children? Why? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Melanie, Marshall, and Ken are the only characters in the novel who live in a traditional family. In what ways do the characters playing the Egypt Game become an extended family for the children? Discuss the concept of family and Snyder's presentation of the American family. What does it consist of? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)