|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do April and Melanie think about the suggestion regarding the new family?
2. What event happens in the neighborhood that places a temporary halt to the Egypt Game?
3. What is the female head of household looking for?
4. What are April's worries before she begins school?
5. What do April, Melanie and Marshall find when they return to the yard to play for the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangements does Caroline make when April first comes to town?
2. What does April do while everyone is waiting outside of Egypt on Halloween night?
3. What is Melanie's concern about April before school begins?
4. What do the Egyptians do while they are on a hiatus from the Egypt Game as a result of a neighborhood event?
5. What do April, Melanie and Marshall find inside the lean-to at the outset of the Egypt game?
6. What does April explore when she first moves to town?
7. What do the children do in preparation to play the Egypt Game?
8. What do the Egyptians decide they should do in order to appease the gods after their long absence?
9. Who moves into Casa Rosada after school begins?
10. What is Melanie's initial impression of April?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the theme of violence have and how does this theme contribute to the meaning of the novel? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between the Professor and the children. How does this relationship change throughout the book? What are the causes of the developments in this relationship? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How can children from such different backgrounds become such good friends? What do the Egyptians learn from each other? How do their relationships change the way they see themselves? Use examples from the book in your answer.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)