|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suggestion is given to April and Melanie after the new family moves in?
2. How do April and Melanie spend their time together before school begins?
3. When does April meet Melanie and Marshall?
4. How do the children find Egypt when they return after their hiatus?
5. How often do April and Melanie see each other before school begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Melanie's concern about April before school begins?
2. What event happens in the neighborhood that puts a temporary halt to the Egypt Game?
3. What does Melanie do to April before school begins?
4. What do the Egyptians do while they are on a hiatus from the Egypt Game as a result of a neighborhood event?
5. What is the sign to break away from the trick-or-treating group in order to sneak off to Egypt at night?
6. What does April explore when she first moves to town?
7. How does April fare at Wilson School?
8. Why are the children afraid of the Professor?
9. What brings April and Melanie together as friends?
10. How does April dress for her first meeting with Melanie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the theme of violence have and how does this theme contribute to the meaning of the novel? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Egypt Game provide a sense of community? What is the thread that ties this community together? Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment through the situations and experiences of each of the following:
b. The Professor
Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)