|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the children find Egypt when they return after their hiatus?
2. What helps April and Melanie change their mind regarding their decision about the new family?
3. Where do the four Egyptians join a larger trick-or-treating group on Halloween night?
4. What does April look at when she first visits the Professor's curio shop?
5. What is April's mother's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does April tell Melanie her name is?
2. What were April's living arrangements before she moved to town?
3. How does April dress for her first meeting with Melanie?
4. What leads the children to believe the Professor is not watching them play the Egypt Game?
5. What is Melanie's concern about April before school begins?
6. Whom do April and Melanie think Elizabeth looks like?
7. What happens when April first meets the Professor?
8. From where does the Professor watch the children play the Egypt Game?
9. How does April fare at Wilson School?
10. What is Melanie's initial impression of April?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between the Professor and the children. How does this relationship change throughout the book? What are the causes of the developments in this relationship? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
If April's father were still alive, how might the following people be different?
Use specific answer from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tension between the innocence of the children playing their game and the real-world events that occur in the story. Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)