|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Melanie visit April the night before school begins?
2. What does April look at when she first visits the Professor's curio shop?
3. What is the Professor's response to what April tells him on her first visit to his shop?
4. What becomes April and Melanie's shared passion?
5. What does Melanie like to do with pictures she cuts out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does April explore when she first moves to town?
2. Whom do April and Melanie think Elizabeth looks like?
3. How do April and Melanie spend their days together before school begins?
4. What do April, Melanie and Marshall find inside the lean-to at the outset of the Egypt game?
5. What is Melanie's initial impression of April?
6. From where does the Professor watch the children play the Egypt Game?
7. What do the Egyptians do while they are on a hiatus from the Egypt Game as a result of a neighborhood event?
8. What do April and Melanie make to accompany the bust of Nefertiti?
9. What is Melanie's concern about April before school begins?
10. What leads the children to believe the Professor is not watching them play the Egypt Game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the friendship between April and Melanie. Consider its limitations as well as its history and future possibilities. Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between the Professor and the children. How does this relationship change throughout the book? What are the causes of the developments in this relationship? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why was a sense of belonging significant to the characters in The Egypt Game? Would these characters have a sense of belonging if it were not for the Egypt Game?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)