|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the female head of household looking for?
2. Why do April and Melanie decide to place their "finding" where they do?
3. What do the children call the lean-to?
4. Why does Melanie go home when visiting April the night before school begins?
5. What is the four Egyptians' opinion about visiting Egypt at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Melanie's concern about April before school begins?
2. What does April explore when she first moves to town?
3. Whom do April and Melanie think Elizabeth looks like?
4. What do April and Melanie think about the parents' suggestion about the new family?
5. Why does Melanie visit April the night before school starts?
6. What arrangements does Caroline make when April first comes to town?
7. What leads the children to believe the Professor is not watching them play the Egypt Game?
8. What do the Egyptians plan on doing Halloween night?
9. What is Melanie's initial impression of April?
10. What extra supplies do the Egyptians add to the temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has April changed from the beginning of the book to the end of the book? What events or experiences brought about those changes? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
a. In what ways does The Egypt Game reflect the kinds of social and family structure changes that took place in the United States during the 1960s?
b. Compare and contrast the sixth graders in The Egypt Game to sixth graders today. Has anything changed in the past forty years?
Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the friendship between April and Melanie. Consider its limitations as well as its history and future possibilities. Include examples from the book.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)