|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do April and Melanie find on their way to school?
2. What does April interpret as the sign to break off from the trick-or-treating group?
3. Where do the children play the Egypt Game?
4. What do the children call the lean-to?
5. What happens while April is playing with Melanie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Melanie find that begins the Egypt Game?
2. What does April tell Melanie her name is?
3. What event happens in the neighborhood that puts a temporary halt to the Egypt Game?
4. What is the first story April, Melanie and Marshall make up in the Egypt Game?
5. What do April and Melanie think about the parents' suggestion about the new family?
6. What leads the children to believe the Professor is not watching them play the Egypt Game?
7. What does Melanie do to April before school begins?
8. What is the sign to break away from the trick-or-treating group in order to sneak off to Egypt at night?
9. What do the parents suggest to April and Melanie after the new family moves in?
10. What arrangements does Caroline make when April first comes to town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. In what ways does The Egypt Game reflect the kinds of social and family structure changes that took place in the United States during the 1960s?
b. Compare and contrast the sixth graders in The Egypt Game to sixth graders today. Has anything changed in the past forty years?
Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tension between the innocence of the children playing their game and the real-world events that occur in the story. Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why was a sense of belonging significant to the characters in The Egypt Game? Would these characters have a sense of belonging if it were not for the Egypt Game?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)