|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suggestion is given to April and Melanie after the new family moves in?
2. What do April and Melanie decide to make to accompany the bust of Nefertiti?
3. What are the names of the girls who play the Egypt Game?
4. What does April look at when she first visits the Professor's curio shop?
5. What is Marshall's name in the Egypt Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Toby want to finish the hieroglyphic alphabet?
2. From where does the Professor watch the children play the Egypt Game?
3. Whom do April and Melanie think Elizabeth looks like?
4. What does Melanie find that begins the Egypt Game?
5. How do April and Melanie spend their days together before school begins?
6. What do April and Melanie think about the parents' suggestion about the new family?
7. What do the Egyptians do while they are on a hiatus from the Egypt Game as a result of a neighborhood event?
8. What do the children do in preparation to play the Egypt Game?
9. Where is Security found?
10. What brings April and Melanie together as friends?
Essay Topic 1
How can children from such different backgrounds become such good friends? What do the Egyptians learn from each other? How do their relationships change the way they see themselves? Use examples from the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
If April's father were still alive, how might the following people be different?
Use specific answer from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Melanie, Marshall, and Ken are the only characters in the novel who live in a traditional family. In what ways do the characters playing the Egypt Game become an extended family for the children? Discuss the concept of family and Snyder's presentation of the American family. What does it consist of? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)