|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Marshall and April go to Egypt at night?
(a) To perform the Oracle of Thoth.
(b) Marshall lost Security again.
(c) Because Marshall did not get to go to Egypt on Halloween night.
(d) To retrieve April's math book.
2. What is the inspiration for the Oracle ceremony?
(a) Toby, April, and Melanie learn about Oracles in class.
(b) April and Melanie read about Oracles at the library.
(c) It is a suggestion from Caroline.
(d) Elizabeth sees a television program that featured an Oracle.
3. What does Melanie suggest to Marshall about Security?
(a) Someone probably turned it in at a lost and found.
(b) That perhaps he left Security at nursery school.
(c) That Security is safe in Egypt.
(d) That Security would turn up somewhere.
4. What does April decide after she receives the item from her mother around Christmas time?
(a) She decides to live with her mother after the end of the school year.
(b) She declines to visit her mother.
(c) She plans to visit her mother.
(d) She writes a letter to her mother explaining that she will continue to live with Caroline.
5. Why does everyone think something strange is going on in Egypt?
(a) Everything has been rearranged.
(b) Someone also answered April's question.
(c) It appears that someone has been performing ceremonies while the Egyptians are not there.
(d) A few of the Egyptians mention seeing a shadow lurking on the outskirts of Egypt.
6. Why does Marshall apologize to April?
(a) Because he dropped her math book, and she still does not have it.
(b) Because he was not able to help her.
(c) Because he kept crying.
(d) Because he did not cooperate with her.
7. Why do the Egyptians have to leave Egypt immediately after the second Ceremony of Presenting the Question to the Oracle?
(a) There is a thunderstorm.
(b) They hear Mrs. Ross calling.
(c) They hear a strange noise.
(d) They see a shadow lurking in the distance.
8. What happens that allows Melanie and April to return to Egypt?
(a) A suspect is found.
(b) Caroline agrees to be a chaperone.
(c) The neighborhood begins to relax.
(d) The children promise never to go outside alone.
9. What do April and Melanie think will happen with the boys' involvement in the Egypt Game?
(a) That they will become active participants in the game.
(b) That other kids will become interested in playing the game with them.
(c) That they will grow tired of the game and stop playing.
(d) That the boys will try to take over the game.
10. How do the Egyptians prepare for the Ceremony of Returning to the Oracle for the Answer?
(a) They plan a procession.
(b) They have a sacrifice.
(c) They wear costumes.
(d) Melanie writes a poem.
11. What does the Professor give April when she visits him at his store during Christmas break?
(a) Two objects that belonged to his wife.
(b) A book about Egypt.
(c) A figurine.
(d) A small replica of an Egyptian mummy.
12. What does April hear while they are leaving Egypt at night?
(a) The sound of an alley cat yowling.
(b) The sound of glass breaking and a voice calling for help.
(c) A loud crash.
(d) Someone screaming.
13. What does Toby confide to April and Melanie?
(a) He goes to Egypt to perform ceremonies alone.
(b) He has been writing in the scrolls.
(c) He has been writing the answers to the questions posed to the Oracle.
(d) He does not want to stop playing the Egypt Game because it is a refuge from his homelife.
14. Who works at the Professor's store around the time of Christmas break?
(a) Mrs. Ross.
(b) The man with red hair and freckles.
(c) Mr. Bodler.
(d) Mrs. Chung.
15. Whom does Marshall tell April is the person who attacked her?
(a) The man at Woolworth's who puts boxes on shelves.
(b) The man at Schmitt's variety store that carries things around.
(c) The man who pushes the broom at the library.
(d) The cashier at the A & P grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does April receive in a letter from her mother?
2. In what temple will the Ceremony of the Dead be held?
3. What happens to the man who hurts April?
4. What is Toby concerned about when he confides in April and Melanie?
5. What is Ken's reaction to the Egypt Game?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)