|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Crampas say Heine is his favorite poet?
(a) Heine's poems make the most sense to him.
(b) Heine is the only poet he knows of.
(c) Heine understands love.
(d) Heine is a personal friend of his.
2. According to Crampas, why does Innstetten tell ghost stories?
(a) To pick on Effi.
(b) To combat boredom.
(c) To scare his staff.
(d) To stand out.
3. After they have married, what of Effi does her father say that Innstetten will NOT be able to cope with?
(a) Her desire for fun and adventure.
(b) Her childishness.
(c) Her attachment to animals.
(d) Her uncontrollable temper.
4. In Chapter 4, which of the following is NOT said must accompany love?
5. What does Effi's father suggest that makes her mother call him "incorrigible"?
(a) That he can't afford to pay for a wedding.
(b) That Effi should have a nicer dress than the one she picked out.
(c) That he'll have to go to the poor house.
(d) That Effi have a honeymoon.
6. How is Hulda Niemeyer's character described?
(a) As negative.
(b) As boring.
(c) As generous.
(d) As talkative.
7. Which of the following is NOT a place Marietta claims to have seen ghosts?
8. Which of her relatives does Effi want to avoid in Berlin?
(a) Uncle Hans.
(b) Aunt Dorel.
(c) Aunt Therese.
(d) Uncle Konrad.
9. What has the chemist sent to the Innstetten household as a gift?
(a) A cake.
(b) A small painting.
(d) A book of poems.
10. How long does Innstetten give Effi to settle into her new home before scheduling visits for her?
(a) Half a week.
(b) One day.
(c) A month.
(d) One week.
11. What is Innstetten's full name?
(a) Baron Geert von Innstetten.
(b) Baron Hanke von Innstetten.
(c) Baron Dierk von Innstetten.
(d) Baron Armin von Innstetten.
12. How long does Effi stay in Hohen-Cremmen?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) One month.
13. What does Effi recall used to happen to adulterous women?
(a) They were outcast.
(b) They were imprisoned.
(c) They were drowned.
(d) They were stoned.
14. Preparations for which holiday begin in Chapter 12?
(b) St. Swithin's Day.
15. What do Effi and her friends give a sea burial?
(a) Gooseberry skins.
(b) Apple skins.
(c) A dead tadpole.
(d) Dried leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
2. In which month is the district commandant replaced?
3. Where do Crampas, Innstetten and Effi often go riding horses?
4. What worries Hertha about Effi's engagement?
5. Which of the following descriptions is NOT used to describe Effi?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)