|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does Roswitha have about her ex-mistress?
(a) She hit Roswitha.
(b) She was kind to everyone but Roswitha.
(c) She is penny-pinching.
(d) She smelled foul.
2. What does Marietta says destroys careers?
(d) The theater.
3. How long does Effi stay in Hohen-Cremmen?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
4. What does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
(a) He demands that many items be returned.
(b) He questions the quality of what was purchased.
(c) He approves of what was purchased.
(d) He thinks Effi spent his money frivolously.
5. What does Effi's father suggest that makes her mother call him "incorrigible"?
(a) That Effi should have a nicer dress than the one she picked out.
(b) That Effi have a honeymoon.
(c) That he can't afford to pay for a wedding.
(d) That he'll have to go to the poor house.
6. To which regiment does Dagobert belong?
(a) The König Wilhelm Regiment.
(b) The Alexander Regiment.
(c) The von Schmidt Regiment.
(d) The von Katzler Regiment.
7. Who is Christel?
(a) Innstetten's cook.
(b) Innstetten's former nanny.
(c) Innstetten's mother.
(d) Innstetten's sister.
8. What is characteristic of the elegantly dressed man that Effi sees stroll by her?
(a) He is deformed.
(b) He is dragging a cart behind him.
(c) He is bald.
(d) He is talking to himself.
9. What does Effi name her daughter?
10. Who does Effi's father say would have been a better match for Innstetten?
(a) A woman older than Effi.
(b) His wife.
(c) An aristocratic woman.
(d) Marietta Trippelli.
11. At which inn do the Innstettens enjoy lunch?
(a) The Graf Zeppelin Inn.
(b) The Alexander Inn.
(c) The Azenberg Inn.
(d) The Prince Bismarck Inn.
12. How does Effi's mother know Baron Innstetten?
(a) He is her former suitor.
(b) He is her former classmate.
(c) He is her brother's childhood friend.
(d) He is her cousin.
13. What does the von Briest family home face?
(a) A river.
(b) The village street.
(c) Sand dunes.
(d) A farmer's field.
14. How is Hulda Niemeyer's character described?
(a) As negative.
(b) As boring.
(c) As generous.
(d) As talkative.
15. What does Innstetten NOT do with Effi, which displeases her father?
(a) Introduce her to society.
(b) Stroll with her.
(c) Exchange letters.
(d) Consult with her on running the household.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Effi's mother joke that her daughter is in love with?
2. What is the name of Innstetten's maid?
3. What complaint does Effi have about her house, which will be relevant after the birth of her child?
4. What does the chemist say he has been too fearful to ever ask of a woman?
5. Where do Crampas, Innstetten and Effi often go riding horses?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)