|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Effi offer Roswitha?
(b) Washer woman.
2. Who does Effi's mother joke that her daughter is in love with?
(a) Captain Thomsen.
(c) Major Crampas.
3. How does Effi's mother know Baron Innstetten?
(a) He is her former suitor.
(b) He is her former classmate.
(c) He is her cousin.
(d) He is her brother's childhood friend.
4. What does Effi name her daughter?
5. Who is the elegantly dressed man that strolls by Effi?
(a) Herr Kruse.
(b) Capt. Thomsen.
(d) Innstetten's butler.
6. What does Innstetten suggest might happen if Gieshübler feels self-conscious?
(a) He will lose his temper.
(b) He will get tongue-tied.
(c) He will distrust Effi.
(d) He will not come to the house anymore.
7. Who is Christel?
(a) Innstetten's former nanny.
(b) Innstetten's mother.
(c) Innstetten's sister.
(d) Innstetten's cook.
8. What month is Effi's baby due to be delivered in?
9. How long does Effi stay in Hohen-Cremmen?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two weeks.
10. How does Effi's father describe his daughter?
(a) A child of beauty.
(b) A child of patience.
(c) A child of grace.
(d) A child of nature.
11. Where are Effi and her mother at the beginning of the book?
(a) In the sitting room.
(b) Walking in town.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) In the garden.
12. What worries Hertha about Effi's engagement?
(a) That it is not an equal match.
(b) That Hertha is not getting married first.
(c) That it has happened so quickly.
(d) That Effi will get her heart broken.
13. After the birth of her child, where does Effi intend to travel to?
(d) Her hometown.
14. Where does the barren road that Effi studies in Chapter 8 lead to?
(b) An abandoned farm.
(c) The church.
(d) The beach.
15. Preparations for which holiday begin in Chapter 12?
(c) St. Swithin's Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Innstetten's maid?
2. Why does Crampas say Heine is his favorite poet?
3. According to Crampas, why does Innstetten tell ghost stories?
4. What does the chemist say he has been too fearful to ever ask of a woman?
5. What is the surname of Bertha and Hertha?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)