|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bismarck invite Innstetten to go?
2. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
(a) In Berlin.
(b) In Kessin.
(c) In Klein-Tantow.
(d) In Hohen-Cremmen.
3. How is Hulda Niemeyer's character described?
(a) As generous.
(b) As talkative.
(c) As boring.
(d) As negative.
4. What does Effi warn Roswitha about when she sees her in the graveyard?
(a) Catching a cold.
(b) Bothering the dead.
(d) Being late for work.
5. On whose birthday does the christening of Effi's daughter take place?
(b) King Wilhelm's.
(c) Effi's mother's.
6. Who is Dagobert?
(a) Innstetten's brother.
(b) Effi's cousin.
(c) Effi's childhood friend.
(d) The Briests' butler.
7. What does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
(a) He thinks Effi spent his money frivolously.
(b) He approves of what was purchased.
(c) He demands that many items be returned.
(d) He questions the quality of what was purchased.
8. What do several of the people Effi visits with say she is infected with?
(a) A free spirit.
(b) The flu.
9. Who says that Innstetten is "frosty as a snowman"?
(c) Sidonie Grasenabbs.
10. What worries Hertha about Effi's engagement?
(a) That it has happened so quickly.
(b) That Effi will get her heart broken.
(c) That Hertha is not getting married first.
(d) That it is not an equal match.
11. What change has Innstetten seen in Effi since giving birth?
(a) She has become mean.
(b) She has become more seductive.
(c) She has become depressed.
(d) She has stopped doting on him.
12. What description are we given of Hulda's mother?
(a) She is uneducated.
(b) She is sensitive.
(c) She is delicate.
(d) She is austere.
13. In which town does Innstetten live as Landrat?
14. What does the chemist say he has been too fearful to ever ask of a woman?
(a) To dance.
(b) To take a stroll.
(c) To go riding.
(d) To marry.
15. What does Effi's mother tell her that Innstetten's intentions are by visiting?
(a) Innstetten wants to reclaim Effi's mother's heart.
(b) Innstetten wants Effi's father to enter politics.
(c) Innstetten wants to purchase the Briests' house.
(d) Innstetten wants to marry Effi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Effi is invited to a reception in honor of whom?
2. When Effi awakes in her new home, what does she think she hears overhead?
3. What does Effi's father imagine Innstetten will drag his daughter to see?
4. Who is the elegantly dressed man that strolls by Effi?
5. Who does Effi's mother joke that her daughter is in love with?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)