|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Effi and her mother at the beginning of the book?
(a) In a carriage.
(b) Walking in town.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In the sitting room.
2. What does Innstetten suggest might happen if Gieshübler feels self-conscious?
(a) He will lose his temper.
(b) He will not come to the house anymore.
(c) He will get tongue-tied.
(d) He will distrust Effi.
3. What complaint does Roswitha have about her ex-mistress?
(a) She was kind to everyone but Roswitha.
(b) She is penny-pinching.
(c) She smelled foul.
(d) She hit Roswitha.
4. How long do Effi and her mother stay in Berlin?
(a) Two days.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Four days.
5. After the birth of her child, where does Effi intend to travel to?
(a) Her hometown.
6. Which of her relatives does Effi want to avoid in Berlin?
(a) Aunt Therese.
(b) Uncle Konrad.
(c) Aunt Dorel.
(d) Uncle Hans.
7. What does the chemist say he has been too fearful to ever ask of a woman?
(a) To marry.
(b) To take a stroll.
(c) To dance.
(d) To go riding.
8. Where did Innstetten meet Crampas?
(a) At a horse race.
(b) In the army.
(c) In school.
(d) At a political rally.
9. What does Effi's father suggest that makes her mother call him "incorrigible"?
(a) That Effi have a honeymoon.
(b) That Effi should have a nicer dress than the one she picked out.
(c) That he can't afford to pay for a wedding.
(d) That he'll have to go to the poor house.
10. What does Effi send to Innstetten in response to his letters?
(b) Trivia questions.
(d) Pressed flowers.
11. What kind of home does Innstetten have?
(a) An old-fashioned house.
(b) A former fortress.
(c) A modern apartment.
(d) A chalet-style house.
12. Which of the following is NOT a place Marietta claims to have seen ghosts?
13. In which month is Effi's wedding to take place?
14. What job does Effi offer Roswitha?
(c) Washer woman.
15. What does Effi's father imagine Innstetten will drag his daughter to see?
(a) Ancient ruins.
(c) Art collections.
(d) Horse races.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Effi's mother know Baron Innstetten?
2. Who does Effi claim to love in Chapter 4?
3. To which event does Effi invite Dagobert?
4. What kind of train do Effi and Innstetten take to Berlin?
5. After dinner with Innstetten, who does Effi go to visit?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)