|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Effi recall used to happen to adulterous women?
(a) They were stoned.
(b) They were imprisoned.
(c) They were drowned.
(d) They were outcast.
2. What expression does Effi make when she reads Innstetten's letter in Chapter 4?
(a) Effi grimaces.
(b) Effi smiles.
(c) Effi rolls her eyes.
(d) Effi frowns.
3. What kind of house does Effi tell Innstetten she wants to live in when he returns from his business trip?
(a) A small house.
(b) A modern house.
(c) An unhaunted house.
(d) A brick house.
4. What does Effi's mother tell her that Innstetten's intentions are by visiting?
(a) Innstetten wants to marry Effi.
(b) Innstetten wants to reclaim Effi's mother's heart.
(c) Innstetten wants Effi's father to enter politics.
(d) Innstetten wants to purchase the Briests' house.
5. What does Effi send to Innstetten in response to his letters?
(a) Trivia questions.
(d) Pressed flowers.
6. What do several of the people Effi visits with say she is infected with?
(a) The flu.
(b) A free spirit.
7. How long do Effi and her mother stay in Berlin?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
8. What complaint does Roswitha have about her ex-mistress?
(a) She hit Roswitha.
(b) She is penny-pinching.
(c) She smelled foul.
(d) She was kind to everyone but Roswitha.
9. What kind of train do Effi and Innstetten take to Berlin?
(a) A sleeper train.
(b) A freight train.
(c) An express train.
(d) A luxury train.
10. What does Innstetten NOT do with Effi, which displeases her father?
(a) Introduce her to society.
(b) Stroll with her.
(c) Consult with her on running the household.
(d) Exchange letters.
11. Where are Effi and her mother at the beginning of the book?
(a) Walking in town.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) In the sitting room.
12. What does Effi's father suggest that makes her mother call him "incorrigible"?
(a) That Effi should have a nicer dress than the one she picked out.
(b) That Effi have a honeymoon.
(c) That he'll have to go to the poor house.
(d) That he can't afford to pay for a wedding.
13. What does Innstetten suggest might happen if Gieshübler feels self-conscious?
(a) He will distrust Effi.
(b) He will not come to the house anymore.
(c) He will get tongue-tied.
(d) He will lose his temper.
14. What does Innstetten suggest that he and Effi do before going to the reception that Gieshübler invited them to?
(a) Have a light dinner.
(b) Attend church.
(c) Take a sleigh ride.
(d) Take a walk.
15. Who does Effi claim to love in Chapter 4?
(a) Anyone who can fascinate her.
(b) Anyone who wishes her well.
(c) People who recite poetry.
(d) People who enjoy the outdoors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Effi offer Roswitha?
2. On whose birthday does the christening of Effi's daughter take place?
3. After her wedding, where does Effi send her parents a full letter from?
4. What instrument does Effi sometimes play for her husband?
5. What worries Hertha about Effi's engagement?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)