|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Hulda Niemeyer's character described?
(a) As negative.
(b) As generous.
(c) As talkative.
(d) As boring.
2. In Chapter 4, which of the following is NOT said must accompany love?
3. What kind of home does Innstetten have?
(a) A chalet-style house.
(b) A former fortress.
(c) An old-fashioned house.
(d) A modern apartment.
4. What expression does Effi make when she reads Innstetten's letter in Chapter 4?
(a) Effi smiles.
(b) Effi grimaces.
(c) Effi rolls her eyes.
(d) Effi frowns.
5. What is characteristic of the elegantly dressed man that Effi sees stroll by her?
(a) He is bald.
(b) He is deformed.
(c) He is talking to himself.
(d) He is dragging a cart behind him.
6. What does Innstetten suggest might happen if Gieshübler feels self-conscious?
(a) He will lose his temper.
(b) He will get tongue-tied.
(c) He will distrust Effi.
(d) He will not come to the house anymore.
7. Effi is invited to a reception in honor of whom?
(b) Marietta Trippelli.
(d) Major Crampas.
8. When Effi awakes in her new home, what does she think she hears overhead?
(a) Music playing.
(c) Dresses sweeping on the floor.
(d) Someone talking.
9. What does Effi recall used to happen to adulterous women?
(a) They were imprisoned.
(b) They were drowned.
(c) They were outcast.
(d) They were stoned.
10. What does Effi send to Innstetten in response to his letters?
(c) Trivia questions.
(d) Pressed flowers.
11. What do several of the people Effi visits with say she is infected with?
(a) The flu.
(d) A free spirit.
12. How long does Effi stay in Hohen-Cremmen?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
13. What does the von Briest family home face?
(a) A farmer's field.
(b) The village street.
(c) Sand dunes.
(d) A river.
14. What does Effi warn Roswitha about when she sees her in the graveyard?
(b) Catching a cold.
(c) Bothering the dead.
(d) Being late for work.
15. What description are we given of Hulda's mother?
(a) She is sensitive.
(b) She is austere.
(c) She is uneducated.
(d) She is delicate.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whose birthday does the christening of Effi's daughter take place?
2. What does Effi's father suggest that makes her mother call him "incorrigible"?
3. Preparations for which holiday begin in Chapter 12?
4. What worries Hertha about Effi's engagement?
5. What is Innstetten's full name?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)