Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mortimer order to draft a letter transferring Edward's custody?
2. In his long speech regarding relinquishing his crown, how long does Edward beg Leicester and Winchester allow him to remain king?
3. At the closing of Edward's revenge pledge in Scene 1, whom does he adopt and bestow titles?
4. What offer does John of Hainault make Isabella and Edward III in Scene 2?
5. What does Spencer Junior state wills his and Baldock's arrest?
Edward II is a young and cocky monarch who inflames his country with a complete rejection of certain entrenched institutions. Write and essay about these institutions and how he subverts them, focusing on three. In what ways does he subvert the system? How do the vested interests of England rebel? What is the end result?
Part 1) The social hierarchy.
Part 2) The Church.
Part 3) The military.
The play of Edward II focuses on the scripture of the English class system, in which people are born into their station and social mobility is looked upon with disdain. Focusing on three characters, write an essay on social mobility in the play. How does each character view himself in the pecking order? How does he seek to improve his station? What is his attitude toward the system as a whole?
Part 1) Gaveston
Part 2) Mortimer Junior
Part 3) Spencer Junior and Baldock
Write an essay examining the motivations and essential character of Mortimer Junior. What are his grievances against the King? Are they well-founded, and does he defend them in reasonable ways? Is he, in the end, merely an ambitious charlatan who wants only to consolidate power? Is ahe a concerned peer of England? Does he exist somewhere in between? Cite from the text to defend your position.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)