|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mortimer order to draft a letter transferring Edward's custody?
2. In his long speech regarding relinquishing his crown, how long does Edward beg Leicester and Winchester allow him to remain king?
3. At the closing of Edward's revenge pledge in Scene 1, whom does he adopt and bestow titles?
4. What offer does John of Hainault make Isabella and Edward III in Scene 2?
5. What does Spencer Junior state wills his and Baldock's arrest?
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Gaveston and Edward II is both intense and ambiguous. Write an essay about it, dissecting its purpose within the plot. Does Gaveston ever make mention of his social advancement through Edward? What are the nobles' concerns regarding him? Does Marlowe ever make explicit reference to homosexuality in the play? What does Edward's passionate attachment to Gaveston represent in the world of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Kent. Does Christopher Marlowe intend Kent to act as a surrogate for the audience, reflecting its sympathies and concerns? With whom does Kent side for the majority of the play? What are his reasons for betraying Edward II and later Mortimer's faction? Are these betrayals understandable? Who is the audience's reaction to Kent's final fate in the fifth act?
Essay Topic 3
Edward II is a young and cocky monarch who inflames his country with a complete rejection of certain entrenched institutions. Write and essay about these institutions and how he subverts them, focusing on three. In what ways does he subvert the system? How do the vested interests of England rebel? What is the end result?
Part 1) The social hierarchy.
Part 2) The Church.
Part 3) The military.
This section contains 2,160 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)