|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mortimer order to draft a letter transferring Edward's custody?
2. In his long speech regarding relinquishing his crown, how long does Edward beg Leicester and Winchester allow him to remain king?
3. At the closing of Edward's revenge pledge in Scene 1, whom does he adopt and bestow titles?
4. What offer does John of Hainault make Isabella and Edward III in Scene 2?
5. What does Spencer Junior state wills his and Baldock's arrest?
Essay Topic 1
Christopher Marlowe allows his characters an unusual amount of introspection regarding death. Write an essay regarding several characters ruminations on mortality in the moments before their deaths: Baldock and Spencer Junior, Edward II, and Mortimer Junior. How does each character approach death? How are his words intended to allay the fear that comes from entering the unknown? Is there any broader comfort to be found in these words?
Essay Topic 2
Edward II is a young and cocky monarch who inflames his country with a complete rejection of certain entrenched institutions. Write and essay about these institutions and how he subverts them, focusing on three. In what ways does he subvert the system? How do the vested interests of England rebel? What is the end result?
Part 1) The social hierarchy.
Part 2) The Church.
Part 3) The military.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Kent. Does Christopher Marlowe intend Kent to act as a surrogate for the audience, reflecting its sympathies and concerns? With whom does Kent side for the majority of the play? What are his reasons for betraying Edward II and later Mortimer's faction? Are these betrayals understandable? Who is the audience's reaction to Kent's final fate in the fifth act?
This section contains 2,160 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)