|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
2. Who is the author of "The Grammar of Science"?
3. When Henry Adams returns to New York in "Nunc Age", what has grown in the city?
4. What was Roosevelt's main job in "Nunc Age"?
5. What does Henry Adams say 19th century society measured their progress by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of "The Education of Henry Adams" takes place in Washington, DC. Henry Adams often states that nothing changes in Washington, DC. How is he correct in this statement? How is he incorrect? Analyze the development of Washington, DC throughout Henry Adams' life.
Essay Topic 2
The search for unity permeates this novel. What does Henry Adams mean by unity? Where does he get his ideas of unity? How does he try to find it? How does unity drive the theories of Henry Adams?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams spends years attending institutions of formal education. How does Henry Adams feel about formal education? What shaped his opinions? What ways does he think of to fix what is wrong with formal education?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)