|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Twenty Years After", who is running for presidency?
2. How does Henry Adams say America takes tragedy in "The Height of Knowledge"?
3. What subject is Henry Adams going to teach?
4. Who does Henry Adams meet because of his work at the North American Review?
5. The dictionary says that inertia is a property of what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Adams travels between the United States and Europe quite frequently. How does he describe the two places in contrast with each other? How do they compare in terms of people, politics and progress?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams' Dynamic Theory of History was his most complete theory. How does the Dynamic Theory of History encompass all of Adams' ideas? What ideas in the Dynamic Theory of History seem contradictory with Adams' ideas? Trace how Adams' life experiences influenced the creation of this theory. What made the Dynamic Theory of History applicable to life and what made it unrealistic?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the friends Henry Adams made outside of politics. Choose three of those friends and consider the following: How did these friends impact Adams' view of the world? How did the affect the development of Adams as a character? How did the influence Adams' theories? Overall, who was most influential and why?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)