|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams focus his exploration into how to look at the world?
2. What does Henry Adams say Americans in the year 2000 would know how to do?
3. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
4. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
5. What is the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Adams spent much of his life as a writer. How did Henry Adams' articles help develop his theories of the world and life? Which articles contributed most to his personal development? How did writing help/hurt his education?
Essay Topic 2
As an educator at Harvard, Henry Adams became part of an educational system that did not fit him as a student. How did Henry Adams adapt to teaching at Harvard? How did teaching at Harvard affect Adams' education? How did teaching at Harvard help Henry Adams develop his theories of progress?
Essay Topic 3
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)