|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Henry Adams go to Washington, DC in "Nunc Age"?
2. In "Vis Nova", when discussing the current White House, what does Henry Adams say had no place there?
3. What century does Henry Adams consider using to measure his own time in history?
4. In 1900, what was the chief interest of Washington, DC?
5. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Henry Adams' time in England as his father's secretary shape him? How does this time count as education? What did Henry Adams learn? How did his time in England impact the rest of his future?
Essay Topic 2
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
Essay Topic 3
Overall, what drove Henry Adams' education? Where did he receive the most education? How did he apply his education? What did Henry Adams see for the future of education? Explain how education existed throughout the entire novel.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)