|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the war in "Indian Summer" make Henry Adams wonder about?
2. In 1894, where did King induce Henry Adams to visit?
3. Where does Henry Adams travel in "The Abyss of Ignorance"?
4. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
5. In "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams focus his exploration into how to look at the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select four women that played a role in Henry Adams' life. How did he describe these women? How did he feel about them? What value did Henry Adams place on women? How did women impact Adams' theories of life and history?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams spends years attending institutions of formal education. How does Henry Adams feel about formal education? What shaped his opinions? What ways does he think of to fix what is wrong with formal education?
Essay Topic 3
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)