|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Langley teach Adams?
2. What does Henry Adams have in common with his friend, Hay?
3. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
4. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
5. What does Henry Adams say 19th century society measured their progress by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of "The Education of Henry Adams" takes place in Washington, DC. Henry Adams often states that nothing changes in Washington, DC. How is he correct in this statement? How is he incorrect? Analyze the development of Washington, DC throughout Henry Adams' life.
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams' Dynamic Theory of History was his most complete theory. How does the Dynamic Theory of History encompass all of Adams' ideas? What ideas in the Dynamic Theory of History seem contradictory with Adams' ideas? Trace how Adams' life experiences influenced the creation of this theory. What made the Dynamic Theory of History applicable to life and what made it unrealistic?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams spends years attending institutions of formal education. How does Henry Adams feel about formal education? What shaped his opinions? What ways does he think of to fix what is wrong with formal education?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)