|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams say his dynamic theory of history began?
2. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
3. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
4. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as the "development and economy of forces"?
5. What is the principle element Henry Adams is trying to understand in "The Grammar of Science"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Adams created the terms the Dynamo and the Virgin. What are the Dynamo and the Virgin? How do they relate to each other? What do they represent in the world? How do these ideas help Adams' create all of his theories of the world? Are these useful terms? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 2
The search for unity permeates this novel. What does Henry Adams mean by unity? Where does he get his ideas of unity? How does he try to find it? How does unity drive the theories of Henry Adams?
Essay Topic 3
How did Russia influence Henry Adams' development of his theory of the 20th century? Describe at least three specifics about Russia that guided Henry Adams' thoughts and explain the rationality of each.
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)