|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Indian Summer", what country becomes allies with the United States in the war?
2. How does the Senate respond to Hay's actions in "Twilight"?
3. In "Silence", when does Henry Adams leave Washington, DC?
4. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
5. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
Essay Topic 2
Much of "The Education of Henry Adams" takes place in Washington, DC. Henry Adams often states that nothing changes in Washington, DC. How is he correct in this statement? How is he incorrect? Analyze the development of Washington, DC throughout Henry Adams' life.
Essay Topic 3
As an educator at Harvard, Henry Adams became part of an educational system that did not fit him as a student. How did Henry Adams adapt to teaching at Harvard? How did teaching at Harvard affect Adams' education? How did teaching at Harvard help Henry Adams develop his theories of progress?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)