|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
2. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
3. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
4. According to Henry Adams, how should a man's force be measured?
5. Where does Henry Adams rent a room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select four women that played a role in Henry Adams' life. How did he describe these women? How did he feel about them? What value did Henry Adams place on women? How did women impact Adams' theories of life and history?
Essay Topic 2
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams often reflected on the influence of religion. How did religion influenced Henry Adams throughout his life? How did religion help form his ideas of life and how did religion impact the development of his theories? How does Henry Adams describe religion throughout the various centuries? How did these descriptions influence Adams' ideas?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)