|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
2. What does Henry Adams say Stockholm is pressed by?
3. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
4. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
5. In "Vis Nova", when did Henry Adams return to Washington, DC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As an educator at Harvard, Henry Adams became part of an educational system that did not fit him as a student. How did Henry Adams adapt to teaching at Harvard? How did teaching at Harvard affect Adams' education? How did teaching at Harvard help Henry Adams develop his theories of progress?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams interacted with many prominent political figures. Select three political figures from "The Education of Henry Adams" and analyze their impact on Adams' education, career and theories.
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams admits to have a Puritan background and he often reflects on centuries that have past. How does Adams' Puritan background impact his life, education and theories? What about Puritanism and past centuries attracts Henry Adams and how does this help develop his character?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)