|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
2. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
3. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
4. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
5. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Henry Adams' work in finance in "Darwinism" build a future career?
2. What role did the eccentrics play in the Civil War?
3. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
4. What parts of Henry Adams' trip to Italy left a strong impression?
5. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
6. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
7. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
8. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
9. Why does Henry Adams feel his education went backwards in England and Germany?
10. How does Henry Adams describe Theodore Roosevelt in "The Height of Knowledge"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Adams admits to have a Puritan background and he often reflects on centuries that have past. How does Adams' Puritan background impact his life, education and theories? What about Puritanism and past centuries attracts Henry Adams and how does this help develop his character?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams often reflected on the influence of religion. How did religion influenced Henry Adams throughout his life? How did religion help form his ideas of life and how did religion impact the development of his theories? How does Henry Adams describe religion throughout the various centuries? How did these descriptions influence Adams' ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams spent much of his life as a writer. How did Henry Adams' articles help develop his theories of the world and life? Which articles contributed most to his personal development? How did writing help/hurt his education?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)