|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
2. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
3. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
4. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
5. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
2. What is the goal of a Conservative Christian Anarchist?
3. What happens when Henry Adams goes on the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
4. In "Vis Nova", how does Henry Adams describe the "new American" found in the midwest?
5. What role did the eccentrics play in the Civil War?
6. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
7. In "Chaos", what happens between Henry Adams in Harvard?
8. What does Henry Adams say about impossibilities and his life in "A Law of Acceleration"?
9. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
10. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
Essay Topic 2
What advancements did Henry Adams witness that helped him define acceleration? How did acceleration affect his world and what predictions did Adams make for the future?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams interacted with many prominent political figures. Select three political figures from "The Education of Henry Adams" and analyze their impact on Adams' education, career and theories.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)