|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
2. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
3. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
4. Where does Henry Adams go to find work in "The Press"?
5. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
2. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
3. How does man play into Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history?
4. Why does Henry Adams feel he can no longer work in diplomacy?
5. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
6. How does Henry Adams describe the "anti-slavery doctrinaires"?
7. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
8. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
9. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
10. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for unity permeates this novel. What does Henry Adams mean by unity? Where does he get his ideas of unity? How does he try to find it? How does unity drive the theories of Henry Adams?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams' Dynamic Theory of History was his most complete theory. How does the Dynamic Theory of History encompass all of Adams' ideas? What ideas in the Dynamic Theory of History seem contradictory with Adams' ideas? Trace how Adams' life experiences influenced the creation of this theory. What made the Dynamic Theory of History applicable to life and what made it unrealistic?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Henry Adams' experiences with Darwinism. How does the theory keep appearing throughout his life? What ideas from Darwinism help Henry Adams develop his own theories, and what ideas does he ignore?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)