|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who publishes Henry Adams' finished piece on the Gould scandal?
2. Why does Henry Adams return to London in "Chaos"?
3. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
4. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
5. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
2. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
3. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
4. What makes John Lafarge Henry Adams' connection to the 13th century?
5. At the end of "Political Morality", why is Henry Adams left confused about Russell and Palmerston?
6. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
7. In "Chaos", what happens between Henry Adams in Harvard?
8. When Henry Adams visits the Coutinces in France to see the Virgin, what does he discover?
9. Why is Henry Adams unimpressed with what is scientifically published in 1903?
10. Why does Henry Adams return to ideas of Darwinism in "Twilight", and what does he think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select four women that played a role in Henry Adams' life. How did he describe these women? How did he feel about them? What value did Henry Adams place on women? How did women impact Adams' theories of life and history?
Essay Topic 2
Overall, what drove Henry Adams' education? Where did he receive the most education? How did he apply his education? What did Henry Adams see for the future of education? Explain how education existed throughout the entire novel.
Essay Topic 3
What advancements did Henry Adams witness that helped him define acceleration? How did acceleration affect his world and what predictions did Adams make for the future?
This section contains 1,591 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)