|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
2. Where does Henry Adams live in "President Grant"?
3. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
4. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
5. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
2. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
3. When Henry Adams visits the Coutinces in France to see the Virgin, what does he discover?
4. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
5. What makes the building of ironclad rams in England controversial?
6. At the end of "Political Morality", why is Henry Adams left confused about Russell and Palmerston?
7. What happens at Cambridge House in "Foes and Friends"?
8. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
9. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
10. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As an educator at Harvard, Henry Adams became part of an educational system that did not fit him as a student. How did Henry Adams adapt to teaching at Harvard? How did teaching at Harvard affect Adams' education? How did teaching at Harvard help Henry Adams develop his theories of progress?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the friends Henry Adams made outside of politics. Choose three of those friends and consider the following: How did these friends impact Adams' view of the world? How did the affect the development of Adams as a character? How did the influence Adams' theories? Overall, who was most influential and why?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams travels between the United States and Europe quite frequently. How does he describe the two places in contrast with each other? How do they compare in terms of people, politics and progress?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)