|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
2. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
3. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
4. What do people hope Grant will do as president of the United States?
5. Why were Confederate cruisers able to escape British waters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
2. What type of "new man" did New York demand in "Nunc Age" and why?
3. Why does Henry Adams feel he can no longer work in diplomacy?
4. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
5. What happens at Cambridge House in "Foes and Friends"?
6. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
7. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
8. What does Henry Adams say about governments and education at the end of "The Height of Knowledge"?
9. How does Henry Adams describe Theodore Roosevelt in "The Height of Knowledge"?
10. At the end of "Political Morality", why is Henry Adams left confused about Russell and Palmerston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Henry Adams' time in England as his father's secretary shape him? How does this time count as education? What did Henry Adams learn? How did his time in England impact the rest of his future?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams spends years attending institutions of formal education. How does Henry Adams feel about formal education? What shaped his opinions? What ways does he think of to fix what is wrong with formal education?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams often reflected on the influence of religion. How did religion influenced Henry Adams throughout his life? How did religion help form his ideas of life and how did religion impact the development of his theories? How does Henry Adams describe religion throughout the various centuries? How did these descriptions influence Adams' ideas?
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)