|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
2. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
3. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
4. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
5. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the goal of a Conservative Christian Anarchist?
2. What type of "new man" did New York demand in "Nunc Age" and why?
3. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
4. In "Vis Intertiae", what does Henry Adams say about women and men?
5. What role did the eccentrics play in the Civil War?
6. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
7. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
8. In "Chaos", what happens between Henry Adams in Harvard?
9. Why does Henry Adams feel his education went backwards in England and Germany?
10. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Henry Adams' experiences with Darwinism. How does the theory keep appearing throughout his life? What ideas from Darwinism help Henry Adams develop his own theories, and what ideas does he ignore?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams often reflected on the influence of religion. How did religion influenced Henry Adams throughout his life? How did religion help form his ideas of life and how did religion impact the development of his theories? How does Henry Adams describe religion throughout the various centuries? How did these descriptions influence Adams' ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams interacted with many prominent political figures. Select three political figures from "The Education of Henry Adams" and analyze their impact on Adams' education, career and theories.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)