|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
2. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
3. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
4. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
5. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
2. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
3. What parts of Henry Adams' trip to Italy left a strong impression?
4. In "Vis Nova", how does Henry Adams describe the "new American" found in the midwest?
5. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
6. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
7. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
8. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
9. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
10. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What advancements did Henry Adams witness that helped him define acceleration? How did acceleration affect his world and what predictions did Adams make for the future?
Essay Topic 2
Select four women that played a role in Henry Adams' life. How did he describe these women? How did he feel about them? What value did Henry Adams place on women? How did women impact Adams' theories of life and history?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the friends Henry Adams made outside of politics. Choose three of those friends and consider the following: How did these friends impact Adams' view of the world? How did the affect the development of Adams as a character? How did the influence Adams' theories? Overall, who was most influential and why?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)