|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
2. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
3. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
4. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
5. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry Adams feel he can no longer work in diplomacy?
2. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
3. Why is Henry Adams unimpressed with what is scientifically published in 1903?
4. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
5. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
6. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
7. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
8. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
9. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
10. When Henry Adams visits the Coutinces in France to see the Virgin, what does he discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What advancements did Henry Adams witness that helped him define acceleration? How did acceleration affect his world and what predictions did Adams make for the future?
Essay Topic 2
Select four women that played a role in Henry Adams' life. How did he describe these women? How did he feel about them? What value did Henry Adams place on women? How did women impact Adams' theories of life and history?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams created the terms the Dynamo and the Virgin. What are the Dynamo and the Virgin? How do they relate to each other? What do they represent in the world? How do these ideas help Adams' create all of his theories of the world? Are these useful terms? Why/why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)