|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new age does Henry Adams find when he returns to the United States in "The Press"?
2. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
3. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
4. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
5. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
2. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
3. What is the goal of a Conservative Christian Anarchist?
4. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
5. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
6. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
7. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
8. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
9. Why did Henry Adams take an interest in statistics?
10. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Overall, what drove Henry Adams' education? Where did he receive the most education? How did he apply his education? What did Henry Adams see for the future of education? Explain how education existed throughout the entire novel.
Essay Topic 2Henry Adams travels between the United States and Europe quite frequently. How does he describe the two places in contrast with each other? How do they compare in terms of people, politics and progress?
Essay Topic 3Henry Adams spends years attending institutions of formal education. How does Henry Adams feel about formal education? What shaped his opinions? What ways does he think of to fix what is wrong with formal education?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)