Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
2. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
3. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
4. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
5. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
2. When Henry Adams visits the South in "Washington", how does he describe it?
3. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
4. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
5. Why is Charles Sumner a hero to Henry Adams?
6. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
7. What does Henry Adams say about governments and education at the end of "The Height of Knowledge"?
8. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
9. Why does Henry Adams receive little education in "Treason"?
10. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
"The Education of Henry Adams" shows life among both American and English high society. Compare American and English high society and explain how each impacted the education of Henry Adams and the development of his ideas of the world.
Explain Henry Adams' experiences with Darwinism. How does the theory keep appearing throughout his life? What ideas from Darwinism help Henry Adams develop his own theories, and what ideas does he ignore?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)