|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
2. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
3. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
4. Who else is involved in Henry Adams' journalistic investigation of the Gould scandal?
5. How are foreigners treated in English society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
2. In "Chaos", what happens between Henry Adams in Harvard?
3. At the end of "Political Morality", why is Henry Adams left confused about Russell and Palmerston?
4. What happens when Henry Adams goes on the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
5. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
6. What are the four main influences Henry Adams describes in the first chapter, "Quincy"?
7. In "Free Fight", what proves that Grant is not a reform-minded president?
8. Why does Henry Adams return to ideas of Darwinism in "Twilight", and what does he think?
9. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
10. How did Henry Adams' work in finance in "Darwinism" build a future career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Adams created the terms the Dynamo and the Virgin. What are the Dynamo and the Virgin? How do they relate to each other? What do they represent in the world? How do these ideas help Adams' create all of his theories of the world? Are these useful terms? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams' Dynamic Theory of History was his most complete theory. How does the Dynamic Theory of History encompass all of Adams' ideas? What ideas in the Dynamic Theory of History seem contradictory with Adams' ideas? Trace how Adams' life experiences influenced the creation of this theory. What made the Dynamic Theory of History applicable to life and what made it unrealistic?
Essay Topic 3
How did Henry Adams' time in England as his father's secretary shape him? How does this time count as education? What did Henry Adams learn? How did his time in England impact the rest of his future?
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)