|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
2. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
3. Who publishes Henry Adams' finished piece on the Gould scandal?
4. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
5. Who is the English Foreign Secretary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry Adams return to ideas of Darwinism in "Twilight", and what does he think?
2. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
3. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
4. At the end of "Political Morality", why is Henry Adams left confused about Russell and Palmerston?
5. What does Henry Adams say about impossibilities and his life in "A Law of Acceleration"?
6. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
7. Why does Henry Adams feel he can no longer work in diplomacy?
8. What makes the building of ironclad rams in England controversial?
9. What role did the eccentrics play in the Civil War?
10. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Adams admits to have a Puritan background and he often reflects on centuries that have past. How does Adams' Puritan background impact his life, education and theories? What about Puritanism and past centuries attracts Henry Adams and how does this help develop his character?
Essay Topic 2
As an educator at Harvard, Henry Adams became part of an educational system that did not fit him as a student. How did Henry Adams adapt to teaching at Harvard? How did teaching at Harvard affect Adams' education? How did teaching at Harvard help Henry Adams develop his theories of progress?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams travels between the United States and Europe quite frequently. How does he describe the two places in contrast with each other? How do they compare in terms of people, politics and progress?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)