|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Lincoln give Charles Francis Adams?
2. Where does Henry Adams go to find work in "The Press"?
3. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
4. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
5. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Henry Adams unimpressed with what is scientifically published in 1903?
2. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
3. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
4. In "Free Fight", what proves that Grant is not a reform-minded president?
5. When Henry Adams visits the Coutinces in France to see the Virgin, what does he discover?
6. At the end of "Political Morality", why is Henry Adams left confused about Russell and Palmerston?
7. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
8. What happens when Henry Adams goes on the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
9. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
10. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Education of Henry Adams" shows life among both American and English high society. Compare American and English high society and explain how each impacted the education of Henry Adams and the development of his ideas of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
Essay Topic 3
The search for unity permeates this novel. What does Henry Adams mean by unity? Where does he get his ideas of unity? How does he try to find it? How does unity drive the theories of Henry Adams?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)