|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
2. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
3. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
4. According to Henry Adams in Chapter 12, who seems to be eccentric?
5. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry Adams say about impossibilities and his life in "A Law of Acceleration"?
2. In "The Abyss of Ignorance" what does Henry Adams say about force?
3. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
4. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
5. Why is Henry Adams unimpressed with what is scientifically published in 1903?
6. In "Chaos", what events happen while Henry Adams is in Europe that cause him to be disillusioned?
7. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
8. How does Henry Adams define the role of the church and what it condemned in "A Dynamic Theory of History"?
9. How did Henry Adams' work in finance in "Darwinism" build a future career?
10. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Adams' Dynamic Theory of History was his most complete theory. How does the Dynamic Theory of History encompass all of Adams' ideas? What ideas in the Dynamic Theory of History seem contradictory with Adams' ideas? Trace how Adams' life experiences influenced the creation of this theory. What made the Dynamic Theory of History applicable to life and what made it unrealistic?
Essay Topic 2
As an educator at Harvard, Henry Adams became part of an educational system that did not fit him as a student. How did Henry Adams adapt to teaching at Harvard? How did teaching at Harvard affect Adams' education? How did teaching at Harvard help Henry Adams develop his theories of progress?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Henry Adams' experiences with Darwinism. How does the theory keep appearing throughout his life? What ideas from Darwinism help Henry Adams develop his own theories, and what ideas does he ignore?
This section contains 1,557 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)