|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
2. What is Henry Adams plan called "Sessions"?
3. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
4. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
5. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charles Sumner a hero to Henry Adams?
2. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
3. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
4. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
5. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
6. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
7. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
8. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
9. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
10. In "Vis Intertiae", what does Henry Adams say about women and men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, what drove Henry Adams' education? Where did he receive the most education? How did he apply his education? What did Henry Adams see for the future of education? Explain how education existed throughout the entire novel.
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams spent much of his life as a writer. How did Henry Adams' articles help develop his theories of the world and life? Which articles contributed most to his personal development? How did writing help/hurt his education?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams spends years attending institutions of formal education. How does Henry Adams feel about formal education? What shaped his opinions? What ways does he think of to fix what is wrong with formal education?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)