|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
2. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
3. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
4. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
5. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
2. What happens when Henry Adams goes on the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
3. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
4. When Henry Adams visits the Coutinces in France to see the Virgin, what does he discover?
5. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
6. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
7. In "The Abyss of Ignorance" what does Henry Adams say about force?
8. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
9. What role did the eccentrics play in the Civil War?
10. In "Twilight", what makes Henry Adams feel that his generation seems to be ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, what drove Henry Adams' education? Where did he receive the most education? How did he apply his education? What did Henry Adams see for the future of education? Explain how education existed throughout the entire novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Henry Adams' experiences with Darwinism. How does the theory keep appearing throughout his life? What ideas from Darwinism help Henry Adams develop his own theories, and what ideas does he ignore?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams created the terms the Dynamo and the Virgin. What are the Dynamo and the Virgin? How do they relate to each other? What do they represent in the world? How do these ideas help Adams' create all of his theories of the world? Are these useful terms? Why/why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)