|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
2. In "Political Morality", what position is Henry Adams almost promoted to?
3. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
4. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
5. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of "new man" did New York demand in "Nunc Age" and why?
2. In "Chaos", what happens between Henry Adams in Harvard?
3. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
4. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
5. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
6. What does Henry Adams say about governments and education at the end of "The Height of Knowledge"?
7. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
8. How does man play into Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history?
9. Why does Henry Adams return to ideas of Darwinism in "Twilight", and what does he think?
10. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Adams spends years attending institutions of formal education. How does Henry Adams feel about formal education? What shaped his opinions? What ways does he think of to fix what is wrong with formal education?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Adams' Dynamic Theory of History was his most complete theory. How does the Dynamic Theory of History encompass all of Adams' ideas? What ideas in the Dynamic Theory of History seem contradictory with Adams' ideas? Trace how Adams' life experiences influenced the creation of this theory. What made the Dynamic Theory of History applicable to life and what made it unrealistic?
Essay Topic 3
How did Henry Adams' time in England as his father's secretary shape him? How does this time count as education? What did Henry Adams learn? How did his time in England impact the rest of his future?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)