|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
2. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
3. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
4. What is Sumner trying to accomplish in regards to foreign policy in "Free Fight"?
5. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did the eccentrics play in the Civil War?
2. When Henry Adams visits the Coutinces in France to see the Virgin, what does he discover?
3. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
4. How does Henry Adams describe the "anti-slavery doctrinaires"?
5. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
6. What does Henry Adams say will come of his meeting with Charles and Mrs. Gaskill?
7. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
8. In "Chaos", what events happen while Henry Adams is in Europe that cause him to be disillusioned?
9. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
10. In "Vis Intertiae", what does Henry Adams say about women and men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Progress and complexity were always at the core of Henry Adams' theories. Describe Henry Adams' beliefs and feelings about progress and complexity. How did they drive the times he lived in? How did they play into his theories?
Essay Topic 2
"The Education of Henry Adams" shows life among both American and English high society. Compare American and English high society and explain how each impacted the education of Henry Adams and the development of his ideas of the world.
Essay Topic 3
Select four women that played a role in Henry Adams' life. How did he describe these women? How did he feel about them? What value did Henry Adams place on women? How did women impact Adams' theories of life and history?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)