|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
2. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
3. Where does Henry Adams go to find work in "The Press"?
4. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
5. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
2. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
3. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
4. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
5. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
6. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
7. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
8. In "Twilight", what makes Henry Adams feel that his generation seems to be ending?
9. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
10. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Henry Adams' time in England as his father's secretary shape him? How does this time count as education? What did Henry Adams learn? How did his time in England impact the rest of his future?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the friends Henry Adams made outside of politics. Choose three of those friends and consider the following: How did these friends impact Adams' view of the world? How did the affect the development of Adams as a character? How did the influence Adams' theories? Overall, who was most influential and why?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams spends years attending institutions of formal education. How does Henry Adams feel about formal education? What shaped his opinions? What ways does he think of to fix what is wrong with formal education?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)