|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
2. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
3. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
4. In "Boston", why did Henry Adams say he hates school?
5. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
2. In "Free Fight", what proves that Grant is not a reform-minded president?
3. Why is Henry Adams unimpressed with what is scientifically published in 1903?
4. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
5. How did Henry Adams' work in finance in "Darwinism" build a future career?
6. Why did Henry Adams take an interest in statistics?
7. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
8. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
9. Why does Henry Adams return to ideas of Darwinism in "Twilight", and what does he think?
10. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the friends Henry Adams made outside of politics. Choose three of those friends and consider the following: How did these friends impact Adams' view of the world? How did the affect the development of Adams as a character? How did the influence Adams' theories? Overall, who was most influential and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Henry Adams' experiences with Darwinism. How does the theory keep appearing throughout his life? What ideas from Darwinism help Henry Adams develop his own theories, and what ideas does he ignore?
Essay Topic 3
How did Russia influence Henry Adams' development of his theory of the 20th century? Describe at least three specifics about Russia that guided Henry Adams' thoughts and explain the rationality of each.
This section contains 1,470 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)