|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
2. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
3. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
4. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
5. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
2. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
3. What does Henry Adams say about governments and education at the end of "The Height of Knowledge"?
4. When Henry Adams visits the South in "Washington", how does he describe it?
5. In "Twilight", what makes Henry Adams feel that his generation seems to be ending?
6. Why is Henry Adams unimpressed with what is scientifically published in 1903?
7. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
8. How does Henry Adams define the role of the church and what it condemned in "A Dynamic Theory of History"?
9. In "Free Fight", what proves that Grant is not a reform-minded president?
10. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Education of Henry Adams" shows life among both American and English high society. Compare American and English high society and explain how each impacted the education of Henry Adams and the development of his ideas of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Henry Adams' experiences with Darwinism. How does the theory keep appearing throughout his life? What ideas from Darwinism help Henry Adams develop his own theories, and what ideas does he ignore?
Essay Topic 3
What advancements did Henry Adams witness that helped him define acceleration? How did acceleration affect his world and what predictions did Adams make for the future?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)