|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
2. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
3. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
4. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
5. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
2. When Henry Adams visits the Coutinces in France to see the Virgin, what does he discover?
3. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
4. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
5. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
6. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
7. What does Henry Adams say will come of his meeting with Charles and Mrs. Gaskill?
8. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
9. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
10. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Education of Henry Adams" shows life among both American and English high society. Compare American and English high society and explain how each impacted the education of Henry Adams and the development of his ideas of the world.
Essay Topic 2
How did Henry Adams' time in England as his father's secretary shape him? How does this time count as education? What did Henry Adams learn? How did his time in England impact the rest of his future?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Adams often reflected on the influence of religion. How did religion influenced Henry Adams throughout his life? How did religion help form his ideas of life and how did religion impact the development of his theories? How does Henry Adams describe religion throughout the various centuries? How did these descriptions influence Adams' ideas?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)