|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What failure does Henry Adams attempt to analyze in "Silence"?
(a) The failure of Clarence King.
(b) The failure of the 19th century.
(c) The failure of McKinley.
(d) The failure of the Titanic.
2. Who is the author of "The Grammar of Science"?
3. Henry Adams notes that progress is unstoppable so what is necessary?
(a) A new education.
(b) Social programs for the poor.
(c) A way to relax.
(d) More electricity.
4. What war breaks out in "Indian Summer"?
(a) World War I.
(b) The War of 1812.
(c) The French-Indian War.
(d) The Spanish-American War.
5. Henry Adams likens men and theories to what?
(a) A butterfly in a cocoon.
(b) A mouse in a hole.
(c) A man in danger.
(d) A spider in a web.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Langley teach Adams?
2. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
3. In "Twenty Years After", who is running for presidency?
4. Where did Henry Adams go in "The Dynamo and The Virgin" to try to gain knowledge?
5. Henry Adams says that as things become more complex, they need what?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)