|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What thought does Henry Adams distrust?
2. In "Twenty Years After", who is running for presidency?
3. What does Henry Adams say 19th century society measured their progress by?
(a) Housing development.
(b) Steam use.
(c) Coal output.
(d) Artistic creations.
4. What does Henry Adams say Stockholm is pressed by?
(a) Rocks and Russia.
(b) Cold and Germans.
(c) Glaciers and debt.
(d) Northern ice and Russia.
5. What is the principle element Henry Adams is trying to understand in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Unity among chaos.
(b) The Virgin as progress.
(c) Inertia as a movement of matter.
(d) Accelerating technological progress.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
2. When Henry Adams travels during "Silence", what does he mostly think about?
3. Henry Adams says that as things become more complex, they need what?
4. Why did Henry Adams go to Washington, DC in "Nunc Age"?
5. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)