|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
(d) His Harvard education.
2. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
(a) Edinburgh Review.
(b) North American Review.
(c) Washington Review.
(d) Mid-American Review.
3. What does Henry Adams begin to collect in "Dilettamtism"?
(b) Ancient artifacts.
4. What new age does Henry Adams find when he returns to the United States in "The Press"?
(a) An age of chaos.
(b) An age ruled by scientific reason.
(c) An age powered by steam and coal.
(d) An age governed by God.
5. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
(a) A period of bonding.
(b) The best preparation.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) Very boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Henry Adams in Chapter 12, who seems to be eccentric?
2. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
3. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
4. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
5. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Henry Adams' work in finance in "Darwinism" build a future career?
2. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
3. In "Vis Intertiae", what does Henry Adams say about women and men?
4. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
5. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
6. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
7. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
8. What does Henry Adams say about governments and education at the end of "The Height of Knowledge"?
9. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
10. Why is Charles Sumner a hero to Henry Adams?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)