Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
(a) Wall Street Journal.
(b) Harvard Weekly.
(c) North American Review.
(d) Darwin Times.
2. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They fit in perfectly.
(b) They rose in rebellion against them.
(c) They blended them with American manners.
(d) They shied away from the complex rules.
3. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
(a) Ragged and poor.
(b) Dusty and slow.
(c) Rich and glitzy.
(d) Sunny and calm.
4. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
(a) Italy and France.
(b) The United States and Japan.
(c) Germany and France.
(d) Russia and Germany.
5. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
(a) The habits of the English.
(b) Knowledge of human nature.
(c) Time spent in Paris.
(d) Knowing how to properly bribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry Adams live in "President Grant"?
2. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
3. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
4. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
5. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
2. When Henry Adams visits the South in "Washington", how does he describe it?
3. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
4. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
5. Why is Charles Sumner a hero to Henry Adams?
6. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
7. What does Henry Adams say about governments and education at the end of "The Height of Knowledge"?
8. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
9. Why does Henry Adams receive little education in "Treason"?
10. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)