|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Henry Adams go to find work in "The Press"?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(d) New York City.
2. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
(a) It's like loose dogs in the street.
(b) It's like a maggot in cheese.
(c) It's like frogs that wandered into a pub.
(d) It's like children running the government.
3. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
(a) England is invaded.
(b) Johnson declares war.
(c) Lincoln is assassinated.
(d) The Legation ends.
4. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Gets a job in Germany.
(b) Hires a tutor.
(c) Works alone using a book.
(d) Registers at a high school.
5. In Chapter 10, who said: "The world can absorb only doses of truth. Too much would kill it"?
(a) Henry Adams.
(b) William M. Evarts.
(c) Lord Russell.
(d) Thurlow Weed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
2. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
3. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
4. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
5. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
2. In "The Abyss of Ignorance" what does Henry Adams say about force?
3. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
4. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
5. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
6. What happens when Henry Adams goes on the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
7. Why is Charles Sumner a hero to Henry Adams?
8. What makes the building of ironclad rams in England controversial?
9. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
10. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)