|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
(a) The typewriter.
(b) The forest.
(c) The railroad.
(d) The masses of poor people.
2. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
(a) Trade work.
(c) The law.
(d) The press.
3. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
(d) Staff writer.
4. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
(a) They reject it.
(b) They publish it reluctantly.
(c) They say they'll print it in four months.
(d) They put it on the cover.
5. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Registers at a high school.
(b) Gets a job in Germany.
(c) Hires a tutor.
(d) Works alone using a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was NOT related to Henry Adams?
2. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
3. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
4. What is Sumner trying to accomplish in regards to foreign policy in "Free Fight"?
5. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
2. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
3. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
4. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
5. How does man play into Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history?
6. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
7. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
8. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
9. What happens at Cambridge House in "Foes and Friends"?
10. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)