|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
(c) C.F. Adams.
2. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A new congressman.
(b) An old newspaper reporter.
(c) A young, private secretary.
(d) A teacher.
3. What do people hope Grant will do as president of the United States?
(a) Lower taxes.
(b) Improve the infrastructure.
(c) Reform the government.
(d) Give money to the poor.
4. Who was NOT related to Henry Adams?
(a) John Quincy Adams.
(b) Francis Adams.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Samuel Adams.
5. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
(a) The press.
(b) The law.
(c) Trade work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
2. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
3. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
4. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
5. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Free Fight", what proves that Grant is not a reform-minded president?
2. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
3. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
4. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
5. In "Chaos", what events happen while Henry Adams is in Europe that cause him to be disillusioned?
6. How does man play into Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history?
7. In "The Abyss of Ignorance" what does Henry Adams say about force?
8. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
9. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
10. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)