|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was NOT related to Henry Adams?
(a) Samuel Adams.
(b) John Adams.
(c) John Quincy Adams.
(d) Francis Adams.
2. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
(a) It is turned into anti-war propaganda.
(b) It is printed by a paper and satarized.
(c) It is read by his father instead.
(d) It is lost in the mail.
3. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
(a) That it is left alone.
(b) That they should release more.
(c) That is should be restrained.
(d) That it should be green.
4. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) George Washington.
(c) John Adams.
(d) John Quincey Adams.
5. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) Only in the United States.
(b) In Lord Russell's office.
(c) At the local pub.
(d) At a reception held by Milnes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
2. Why does Henry Adams return to London in "Chaos"?
3. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
4. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
5. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of "new man" did New York demand in "Nunc Age" and why?
2. When Henry Adams visits the South in "Washington", how does he describe it?
3. What are the four main influences Henry Adams describes in the first chapter, "Quincy"?
4. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
5. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
6. How does Henry Adams define the role of the church and what it condemned in "A Dynamic Theory of History"?
7. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
8. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
9. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
10. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)