|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
(a) State Department.
(b) The Treasury.
(c) His brother, Brooks.
(d) North American Review.
2. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
(a) England is invaded.
(b) Johnson declares war.
(c) The Legation ends.
(d) Lincoln is assassinated.
3. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
(a) He learned how to move in society.
(b) He learned how to balance a budget.
(c) He learned to not care about England.
(d) He learned the importance of science.
4. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
(a) Rich and glitzy.
(b) Sunny and calm.
(c) Dusty and slow.
(d) Ragged and poor.
5. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
(a) John Hay.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Charles Sumner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
2. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
3. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
4. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
5. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Cambridge House in "Foes and Friends"?
2. How does Henry Adams define the role of the church and what it condemned in "A Dynamic Theory of History"?
3. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
4. How does Henry Adams describe the "anti-slavery doctrinaires"?
5. What does Henry Adams say about governments and education at the end of "The Height of Knowledge"?
6. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
7. What parts of Henry Adams' trip to Italy left a strong impression?
8. How does man play into Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history?
9. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
10. What makes John Lafarge Henry Adams' connection to the 13th century?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)