|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
(b) A dog.
(c) The British.
2. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
(a) Members of Parliament.
(b) The political eccentrics.
(c) No one.
(d) American eccentrics.
3. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
(a) North American Review.
(b) His brother, Brooks.
(c) The Treasury.
(d) State Department.
4. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Registers at a high school.
(b) Hires a tutor.
(c) Gets a job in Germany.
(d) Works alone using a book.
5. What does Henry Adams feel correlates with the winter?
(a) Leaving home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
2. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
3. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
4. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
5. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
2. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
3. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
4. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
5. Why does Henry Adams return to ideas of Darwinism in "Twilight", and what does he think?
6. In "Twilight", what makes Henry Adams feel that his generation seems to be ending?
7. In "Vis Nova", how does Henry Adams describe the "new American" found in the midwest?
8. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
9. What are the four main influences Henry Adams describes in the first chapter, "Quincy"?
10. In "Chaos", what happens between Henry Adams in Harvard?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)