|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
(a) How trustworthy he really was.
(b) His ferver for trying to break up the United States.
(c) His many mistresses.
(d) His attempts to get the South back into the Union.
2. According to Henry Adams in Chapter 12, who seems to be eccentric?
(a) The Confederates.
(b) The Lords and Ladies.
(c) Nearly everyone in England.
(d) His new group of artist friends.
3. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
(a) Trade work.
(b) The press.
(d) The law.
4. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) A silent battle.
(b) The only battle.
(c) A military battle.
(d) A diplomatic battle.
5. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
(a) They were successful.
(b) They were full of errors.
(c) They were ridiculed.
(d) They were never printed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
2. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
3. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
4. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
5. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
2. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
3. In "Vis Nova", how does Henry Adams describe the "new American" found in the midwest?
4. How does man play into Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history?
5. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
6. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
7. How did Henry Adams' work in finance in "Darwinism" build a future career?
8. In "Chaos", what events happen while Henry Adams is in Europe that cause him to be disillusioned?
9. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
10. What makes the building of ironclad rams in England controversial?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)