|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(a) A dog.
(c) The British.
(d) Scarlet Fever.
2. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(c) Forward thinking.
3. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
(a) Time spent in Paris.
(b) Knowing how to properly bribe.
(c) Knowledge of human nature.
(d) The habits of the English.
4. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
(a) He sees no point in it.
(b) He worships it.
(c) He thinks it is classier than American society.
(d) He says there are too many rules.
5. What position does Lincoln give Charles Francis Adams?
(a) Supreme Court Justice.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Personal assistant.
(d) Minister to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
2. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
3. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
4. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
5. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
2. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
3. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
4. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
5. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
6. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
7. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
8. Why did Henry Adams take an interest in statistics?
9. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
10. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)