|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
(a) He learned how to balance a budget.
(b) He learned to not care about England.
(c) He learned the importance of science.
(d) He learned how to move in society.
2. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
(a) Russia and Italy.
(b) France and Germany.
(c) Italy and Germany.
(d) Germany and Ireland.
3. What part of Lyell's principles does Henry Adam's get stuck on in "Darwinism"?
(a) Uniform evolution.
(b) Mutation Theory.
(c) Glacier Theory.
(d) Backwards evolution.
4. What does Henry Adams feel correlates with the winter?
(d) Leaving home.
5. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
(a) The law.
(c) The press.
(d) Trade work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the president of Harvard write Henry Adams a letter?
2. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
3. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
4. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
5. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
2. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
3. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
4. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
5. Why does Henry Adams return to ideas of Darwinism in "Twilight", and what does he think?
6. When Henry Adams visits the South in "Washington", how does he describe it?
7. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
8. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
9. How did Henry Adams' work in finance in "Darwinism" build a future career?
10. How does Henry Adams describe Theodore Roosevelt in "The Height of Knowledge"?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)