|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry Adams begin to collect in "Dilettamtism"?
(c) Ancient artifacts.
2. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
(a) It's like children running the government.
(b) It's like loose dogs in the street.
(c) It's like frogs that wandered into a pub.
(d) It's like a maggot in cheese.
3. What is Henry Adams plan called "Sessions"?
(a) A series of short stories based on English society.
(b) A series of interviews with politicians.
(c) A series of how-to articles.
(d) A series of articles about politics.
4. Who does Henry Adams write a few articles for?
(a) North American Review.
(b) Washington Post.
(c) Italian Monthly.
(d) British Isles Review.
5. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
(a) Charles Sumner.
(b) John Hay.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
2. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
3. According to Henry Adams in Chapter 12, who seems to be eccentric?
4. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
5. At the end of "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams conclude about eccentricity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
2. What is the goal of a Conservative Christian Anarchist?
3. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
4. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
5. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
6. What makes John Lafarge Henry Adams' connection to the 13th century?
7. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
8. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
9. When Henry Adams visits the South in "Washington", how does he describe it?
10. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)