|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He returned them.
(b) He saved them.
(c) He looked forward to them.
(d) He dreaded them.
2. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
(a) Frank Waller.
(b) Legal Tender.
(c) Gold Standard.
(d) Term Limits.
3. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
(a) Because of his time spent in diplomacy.
(b) Because of his lack of knowledge of law.
(c) Because his grandfather was a bad lawyer.
(d) Because he does not respect the law.
4. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
5. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
(a) Russia and Italy.
(b) France and Germany.
(c) Italy and Germany.
(d) Germany and Ireland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
2. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
3. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
4. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
5. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
2. What happens at Cambridge House in "Foes and Friends"?
3. In "Free Fight", what proves that Grant is not a reform-minded president?
4. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
5. When Henry Adams visits the Coutinces in France to see the Virgin, what does he discover?
6. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
7. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
8. How does Henry Adams teach his classes at Harvard and why?
9. What makes John Lafarge Henry Adams' connection to the 13th century?
10. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)