|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
(a) He thinks it needs more research.
(b) He thinks it is a good replacement for God.
(c) He thinks it can never replace God.
(d) He thinks it's nothing compared to unnatural selection.
2. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
(a) Trade work.
(c) The press.
(d) The law.
3. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
(a) That is should be restrained.
(b) That it is left alone.
(c) That it should be green.
(d) That they should release more.
4. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
(a) The problem of the Stock Market.
(b) The problem of Foreign Press.
(c) The problem of Investor Relations.
(d) The problem of Legal Tender.
5. Where does Henry Adams live in "President Grant"?
(a) With his father.
(b) A hotel room.
(c) At the White House.
(d) A boarding house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
2. What do people hope Grant will do as president of the United States?
3. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
4. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
5. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
2. How does Henry Adams describe Theodore Roosevelt in "The Height of Knowledge"?
3. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
4. What happens when Henry Adams goes on the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
5. In "Twilight", what makes Henry Adams feel that his generation seems to be ending?
6. What type of "new man" did New York demand in "Nunc Age" and why?
7. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
8. In "Vis Nova", how does Henry Adams describe the "new American" found in the midwest?
9. Why did Henry Adams take an interest in statistics?
10. What parts of Henry Adams' trip to Italy left a strong impression?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)