|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
(a) He learned the importance of science.
(b) He learned to not care about England.
(c) He learned how to balance a budget.
(d) He learned how to move in society.
2. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
(a) He thinks it can never replace God.
(b) He thinks it is a good replacement for God.
(c) He thinks it's nothing compared to unnatural selection.
(d) He thinks it needs more research.
3. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(b) To prove that he is neutral.
(c) To down play his power in the war.
(d) To stall until the rams can be completed.
4. What part of Lyell's principles does Henry Adam's get stuck on in "Darwinism"?
(a) Glacier Theory.
(b) Uniform evolution.
(c) Backwards evolution.
(d) Mutation Theory.
5. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
(a) Russia and Italy.
(b) Germany and Ireland.
(c) France and Germany.
(d) Italy and Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
2. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
3. What is Henry Adams plan called "Sessions"?
4. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
5. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does man play into Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history?
2. How did Henry Adams' work in finance in "Darwinism" build a future career?
3. What does Henry Adams say about impossibilities and his life in "A Law of Acceleration"?
4. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
5. What are the four main influences Henry Adams describes in the first chapter, "Quincy"?
6. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
7. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
8. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
9. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
10. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)