|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
(a) They are against the Union.
(b) They have no public opinion.
(c) They are in favor of the Union.
(d) They say they will form an alliance with whoever wins.
2. What new age does Henry Adams find when he returns to the United States in "The Press"?
(a) An age powered by steam and coal.
(b) An age ruled by scientific reason.
(c) An age of chaos.
(d) An age governed by God.
3. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
(a) Endless lectures.
(b) There is no university in Berlin.
(c) Hands-on activities.
(d) Nothing but reading.
4. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
5. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
(a) The typewriter.
(b) The masses of poor people.
(c) The railroad.
(d) The forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else is involved in Henry Adams' journalistic investigation of the Gould scandal?
2. What is Henry Adams plan called "Sessions"?
3. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
4. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
5. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry Adams receive little education in "Treason"?
2. What type of "new man" did New York demand in "Nunc Age" and why?
3. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
4. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
5. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
6. Why is Charles Sumner a hero to Henry Adams?
7. How does Henry Adams define the role of the church and what it condemned in "A Dynamic Theory of History"?
8. What role did the eccentrics play in the Civil War?
9. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
10. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)