|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new age does Henry Adams find when he returns to the United States in "The Press"?
(a) An age ruled by scientific reason.
(b) An age governed by God.
(c) An age powered by steam and coal.
(d) An age of chaos.
2. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
(a) Continue it for six more months.
(b) End it and travel to Asia.
(c) End it and return home.
(d) Value it above all the other parts.
3. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
(a) That they are elite.
(b) That they are dishonest.
(c) That they are uneducated.
(d) That they are too educated.
4. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Registers at a high school.
(b) Gets a job in Germany.
(c) Works alone using a book.
(d) Hires a tutor.
5. Who else is involved in Henry Adams' journalistic investigation of the Gould scandal?
(a) Henry Boutwell.
(b) Brooks Adams.
(c) Frank Waller.
(d) C.F. Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Lyell's principles does Henry Adam's get stuck on in "Darwinism"?
2. At the end of "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams conclude about eccentricity?
3. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
4. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
5. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
2. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
3. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
4. In "Chaos", what events happen while Henry Adams is in Europe that cause him to be disillusioned?
5. What is Hugh McCullogh doing in "The Press" that impresses Henry Adams?
6. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
7. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
8. What does Henry Adams say will come of his meeting with Charles and Mrs. Gaskill?
9. What does Henry Adams say about impossibilities and his life in "A Law of Acceleration"?
10. Why does Henry Adams feel his education went backwards in England and Germany?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)