|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) A diplomatic battle.
(b) A silent battle.
(c) A military battle.
(d) The only battle.
2. In "Political Morality", what position is Henry Adams almost promoted to?
(a) Head of the Legation.
(b) Assistant Secretary.
(c) Speaker of the Legation.
(d) Associate Secretary.
3. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(a) A dog.
(b) Scarlet Fever.
(c) The British.
4. Why does Henry Adams return to London in "Chaos"?
(a) To make sure his article was published.
(b) He needed to escape Grant.
(c) To go back to college.
(d) Because he got a new job.
5. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
(a) George Washington.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) John Quincey Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
2. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
3. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
4. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
5. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
2. In "Twilight", what makes Henry Adams feel that his generation seems to be ending?
3. What does Henry Adams say will come of his meeting with Charles and Mrs. Gaskill?
4. Why does Henry Adams return to ideas of Darwinism in "Twilight", and what does he think?
5. In "Diplomacy", what surprised Henry Adams about they way he was welcomed to England?
6. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
7. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
8. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
9. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
10. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)