|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A young, private secretary.
(b) An old newspaper reporter.
(c) A new congressman.
(d) A teacher.
2. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
(a) Wall Street Journal.
(b) Darwin Times.
(c) Harvard Weekly.
(d) North American Review.
3. Why does the president of Harvard write Henry Adams a letter?
(a) To ask him for a donation.
(b) To ask him to teach.
(c) To ask him to get a law degree.
(d) To ask him to give a speach.
4. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
(a) Continue it for six more months.
(b) End it and travel to Asia.
(c) Value it above all the other parts.
(d) End it and return home.
5. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
(a) The typewriter.
(b) The railroad.
(c) The forest.
(d) The masses of poor people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
2. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
3. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
4. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
5. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Twenty Years After", what does Henry Adams observe about the new generation?
2. How does Henry Adams' family talk him out of joining the Army?
3. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
4. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
5. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
6. What does Henry Adams try to achieve in his working life in "President Grant"?
7. How does Henry Adams describe Theodore Roosevelt in "The Height of Knowledge"?
8. How does Thurlow Weed create the "best outcomes" in politics that Henry Adams looks up to?
9. What are the four main influences Henry Adams describes in the first chapter, "Quincy"?
10. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)