|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
(a) Endless lectures.
(b) There is no university in Berlin.
(c) Hands-on activities.
(d) Nothing but reading.
2. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
(a) That they are uneducated.
(b) That they are elite.
(c) That they are too educated.
(d) That they are dishonest.
3. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(b) Forward thinking.
4. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A young, private secretary.
(b) An old newspaper reporter.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A new congressman.
5. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They rose in rebellion against them.
(b) They blended them with American manners.
(c) They fit in perfectly.
(d) They shied away from the complex rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
2. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
3. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
4. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
5. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Henry Adams visits the South in "Washington", how does he describe it?
2. In "Vis Inertiae", why does Henry Adams take an interest in inertia?
3. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
4. Why does Henry Adams receive little education in "Treason"?
5. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
6. How does Darwinism confuse Henry Adams?
7. Why did Henry Adams take an interest in statistics?
8. In "Free Fight", what proves that Grant is not a reform-minded president?
9. According to Henry Adams, what type of American should not even think of English society?
10. What fault does Henry Adams find with Pascal's "Ennui"?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)