|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Lincoln give Charles Francis Adams?
(a) Minister to England.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Supreme Court Justice.
(d) Personal assistant.
2. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
(a) Everyone seems changed.
(b) Everyone seems ignorant.
(c) Everyone seems to be anti-slavery.
(d) Everyone seems confused.
3. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
(a) John Adams.
(b) John Quincey Adams.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George Washington.
4. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
(a) Get enough votes in the primary.
(b) Move into the South.
(c) Deal making and compromises.
(d) Bribing people and secrets.
5. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A teacher.
(b) An old newspaper reporter.
(c) A young, private secretary.
(d) A new congressman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was NOT related to Henry Adams?
2. In Chapter 10, who said: "The world can absorb only doses of truth. Too much would kill it"?
3. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
4. What is Sumner trying to accomplish in regards to foreign policy in "Free Fight"?
5. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes John Lafarge Henry Adams' connection to the 13th century?
2. What does Henry Adams say about impossibilities and his life in "A Law of Acceleration"?
3. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
4. In "Twenty Years After", how does Henry Adams describe Washington, DC?
5. How does C.F. Adams defeat Lord Russell?
6. How does Henry Adams describe Theodore Roosevelt in "The Height of Knowledge"?
7. Why did Henry Adams take an interest in statistics?
8. What parts of Henry Adams' trip to Italy left a strong impression?
9. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
10. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)