|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
(a) Members of Parliament.
(b) The political eccentrics.
(c) American eccentrics.
(d) No one.
2. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They blended them with American manners.
(b) They shied away from the complex rules.
(c) They rose in rebellion against them.
(d) They fit in perfectly.
3. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
4. In Chapter 10, who said: "The world can absorb only doses of truth. Too much would kill it"?
(a) Henry Adams.
(b) Lord Russell.
(c) Thurlow Weed.
(d) William M. Evarts.
5. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Hires a tutor.
(b) Works alone using a book.
(c) Registers at a high school.
(d) Gets a job in Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
2. Where does Henry Adams go to find work in "The Press"?
3. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
4. What new age does Henry Adams find when he returns to the United States in "The Press"?
5. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Silence", why does Henry Adams say he should remain silent?
2. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
3. What type of "new man" did New York demand in "Nunc Age" and why?
4. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
5. In "Twilight", what makes Henry Adams feel that his generation seems to be ending?
6. What does Henry Adams think about after learning of Hay's death?
7. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
8. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
9. When Henry Adams visits the South in "Washington", how does he describe it?
10. Why does Henry Adams feel his education went backwards in England and Germany?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)