|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(b) To down play his power in the war.
(c) To prove that he is neutral.
(d) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
2. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
(a) John Adams.
(b) George Washington.
(c) John Quincey Adams.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
3. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
(a) Because of his time spent in diplomacy.
(b) Because of his lack of knowledge of law.
(c) Because his grandfather was a bad lawyer.
(d) Because he does not respect the law.
4. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
(a) They publish it reluctantly.
(b) They reject it.
(c) They put it on the cover.
(d) They say they'll print it in four months.
5. What does Henry Adams feel correlates with the winter?
(a) Leaving home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
2. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
3. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
4. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
5. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Henry Adams, what are "The Dynamo and The Virgin"?
2. What is Hay's role in the Spanish-American war?
3. In "The Abyss of Ignorance" what does Henry Adams say about force?
4. What happens at Cambridge House in "Foes and Friends"?
5. How is Henry Adams involved in the battle between the Supreme Court and Executive Branch in "Free Fight"?
6. How does Henry Adams feel about running into Sumner in Washington, DC in "The Press"?
7. At the end of "Political Morality", why is Henry Adams left confused about Russell and Palmerston?
8. Why does Henry Adams feel his education went backwards in England and Germany?
9. In "Chaos", what happens between Henry Adams in Harvard?
10. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)