|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
(a) President Grant.
(b) Jay Gould.
2. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
(a) North American Review.
(b) State Department.
(c) His brother, Brooks.
(d) The Treasury.
3. What does Henry Adams feel correlates with the winter?
(c) Leaving home.
4. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(c) Forward thinking.
5. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
(a) Lincoln is assassinated.
(b) England is invaded.
(c) The Legation ends.
(d) Johnson declares war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
2. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
3. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
4. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
5. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes John Lafarge Henry Adams' connection to the 13th century?
2. What makes the building of ironclad rams in England controversial?
3. In "Chaos", what happens between Henry Adams in Harvard?
4. What is Henry Adams' opinion of Russia when he visits there in "Teufeldrtzck"?
5. What happens when Henry Adams goes on the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
6. What makes Henry Adams feel that no art authority knows more than he does?
7. Why did Henry Adams take an interest in statistics?
8. In "Chaos", what events happen while Henry Adams is in Europe that cause him to be disillusioned?
9. Why does Henry Adams feel his education went backwards in England and Germany?
10. What parts of Henry Adams' trip to Italy left a strong impression?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)