|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
(a) A period of bonding.
(b) Very boring.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) The best preparation.
2. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
(a) Knowing how to properly bribe.
(b) The habits of the English.
(c) Time spent in Paris.
(d) Knowledge of human nature.
3. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
(a) Because of his lack of knowledge of law.
(b) Because he does not respect the law.
(c) Because of his time spent in diplomacy.
(d) Because his grandfather was a bad lawyer.
4. What does Henry Adams feel correlates with the winter?
(d) Leaving home.
5. In "Political Morality", what position is Henry Adams almost promoted to?
(a) Associate Secretary.
(b) Speaker of the Legation.
(c) Head of the Legation.
(d) Assistant Secretary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
2. Who is the English Foreign Secretary?
3. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
4. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
5. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry Adams define the role of the church and what it condemned in "A Dynamic Theory of History"?
2. In the beginning of "A Law of Acceleration", how does Henry Adams describe images?
3. What disappoints Henry Adams about President Grant?
4. How does Henry Adams' friend, St. Gaudens, reflect his idea of The Dynamo and The Virgin?
5. Why is Charles Sumner a hero to Henry Adams?
6. What does Henry Adams say will come of his meeting with Charles and Mrs. Gaskill?
7. What happens at Cambridge House in "Foes and Friends"?
8. In "The Grammar of Science", why does Henry Adams explore varying scientific views and what is the result?
9. What makes the building of ironclad rams in England controversial?
10. What happened to Henry Adams' political biases at Harvard?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)