|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Langley teach Adams?
(a) About art.
(b) About math.
(c) About steam power.
(d) About motors.
2. What does Henry Adams say Americans in the year 2000 would know how to do?
(a) Read scientific theories.
(b) Fly planes.
(c) Unify complex thought.
(d) Control unlimited power.
3. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
(a) Run out of money to support its citizens.
(b) Build the longest railway in the world.
(c) Crush other cultures and countries.
(d) Manufacture all its own goods.
4. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
(a) Petitioning for new laws and regulations.
(b) Taking vacations overseas.
(c) Creating treaties and alliances.
(d) Pushing for war.
5. What does Henry Adams have in common with his friend, Hay?
(a) They both fought in only one war.
(b) They both ran for political office.
(c) They both lost all their money.
(d) They both wrote about American history.
6. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
(a) Hard to apply and worthless.
(b) Poor and difficult.
(c) Boring and slow.
(d) Faulty and ill constructed.
7. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
(a) Historical method.
(c) Discovery method.
(d) Socratic seminars.
8. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
(a) He says it is a technological marvel.
(b) He says it was a sign of the past.
(c) He says he is suprised it floats.
(d) He says it was too long.
9. Henry Adams says that unity is is a scientific analysis commonly called what?
10. What reminds Henry Adams of Darwinism in "Twilight"?
(d) His dog.
11. When Henry Adams returns to New York in "Nunc Age", what has grown in the city?
12. What thought does Henry Adams distrust?
13. How does editing the North American Review impact Henry Adams?
(a) He makes more money.
(b) He has no time to teach.
(c) He learns he can't edit well.
(d) He has no time for creative work.
14. In "Twilight", what does Henry Adams study?
15. In "Vis Nova", when did Henry Adams return to Washington, DC?
(a) In the spring.
(b) After Christmas.
(c) After the war started.
(d) Before Thanksgiving.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
2. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
3. In "Vis Nova", when discussing the current White House, what does Henry Adams say had no place there?
4. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
5. What subject is Henry Adams going to teach?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)