|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 31, how does Henry Adams say he feels?
2. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", Henry Adams says that in the past man was attracted to what energy and force?
3. When traveling with Mrs. Lodge, what does Henry Adams decide to label himself as?
(a) A Conservate Catholic Anarchist.
(b) A Conservative Christian Anarchist.
(c) A Liberal Christian Anarchist.
(d) A Liberal Catholic Anarchist.
4. Henry Adams says that as things become more complex, they need what?
(a) A simple representation.
(b) An end.
(c) A wider evaluation.
(d) A larger synthesis.
5. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
(a) Creating treaties and alliances.
(b) Taking vacations overseas.
(c) Pushing for war.
(d) Petitioning for new laws and regulations.
6. In "The Height of Knowledge", what happens to President McKinley?
(a) He resigns.
(b) He loses the election.
(c) He is re-elected.
(d) He is assassinated.
7. What does the war in "Indian Summer" make Henry Adams wonder about?
(a) If Canada will be next.
(b) How to spend his leisure time.
(c) The development of weapons.
(d) If unity is possible.
8. What did Langley teach Adams?
(a) About steam power.
(b) About art.
(c) About math.
(d) About motors.
9. What is the diplomatic crisis in "Vis Inertiae"?
(a) Travel to Germany.
(b) Access to China.
(c) Trade with Russia.
(d) War with France.
10. According to Henry Adams, how should a man's force be measured?
(a) By action.
(b) By motion.
(c) By his bank account.
(d) By other's opinions.
11. Henry Adams predicts that if science keeps doubling its complexities, what will succumb?
12. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
(a) Boring and slow.
(b) Faulty and ill constructed.
(c) Hard to apply and worthless.
(d) Poor and difficult.
13. In 1894, where did King induce Henry Adams to visit?
14. In "Twilight", what country does everyone want access to?
15. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
(a) Discovery method.
(b) Historical method.
(c) Socratic seminars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Adams say Stockholm is pressed by?
2. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
3. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
4. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
5. How does editing the North American Review impact Henry Adams?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)