|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
2. What reminds Henry Adams of Darwinism in "Twilight"?
(d) His dog.
3. In the beginning of Chapter 31, how does Henry Adams say he feels?
4. In Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history, what is accomplished?
(a) Inertia and movement.
(b) New forces and innovations.
(c) Work and progress.
(d) Revolutions and progress.
5. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
(a) Discovery method.
(c) Historical method.
(d) Socratic seminars.
6. In "The Height of Knowledge", what happens to President McKinley?
(a) He resigns.
(b) He is re-elected.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He loses the election.
7. Henry Adams says that unity is is a scientific analysis commonly called what?
8. What does the war in "Indian Summer" make Henry Adams wonder about?
(a) How to spend his leisure time.
(b) The development of weapons.
(c) If unity is possible.
(d) If Canada will be next.
9. In "Twenty Years After", Henry Adams says the world is no longer what?
10. What countries appear poised to go to war in "Vis Nova"?
(a) France and Russia.
(b) Germany and Japan.
(c) Germany and France.
(d) Russia and Japan.
11. What does Henry Adams say Stockholm is pressed by?
(a) Rocks and Russia.
(b) Cold and Germans.
(c) Northern ice and Russia.
(d) Glaciers and debt.
12. In "Twilight", what does Henry Adams study?
13. Who does Henry Adams compare Theodore Roosevelt to?
14. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
(a) Confusing and convoluted.
(b) A waste of money.
(d) Behind the times.
15. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
(a) Mrs. Cabot Lodge.
(b) Wenlock Abbey.
(d) Clarence King.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Henry Adams in "Indian Summer"?
2. What exposition does Henry Adams attend in 1904?
3. In "Vis Nova", when discussing the current White House, what does Henry Adams say had no place there?
4. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as the "development and economy of forces"?
5. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as "anything that does, or helps to do work".
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)