|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry Adams trying to discover in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Something unifying.
(b) Something to further the complexities.
(c) Something revolutionary.
(d) Something to end war.
2. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
3. When does Henry Adams say his education ended?
4. Who does Henry Adams say very few Americans envied?
(a) The very rich.
(b) The very poor.
(c) The royalty.
(d) The politicians.
5. Who does Henry Adams compare Theodore Roosevelt to?
6. How does Henry Adams say his dynamic theory of history began?
(a) With a dream.
(b) With a question.
(c) With an observation.
(d) With little hope.
7. How does Henry Adams say America takes tragedy in "The Height of Knowledge"?
(d) With a grain of salt.
8. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
(a) Manufacture all its own goods.
(b) Run out of money to support its citizens.
(c) Build the longest railway in the world.
(d) Crush other cultures and countries.
9. How does the Senate respond to Hay's actions in "Twilight"?
(a) They oppose him.
(b) They question him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They support him.
10. According to Henry Adams, how should a man's force be measured?
(a) By his bank account.
(b) By other's opinions.
(c) By motion.
(d) By action.
11. Why did Henry Adams go to Washington, DC in "Nunc Age"?
(a) To wait for the end.
(b) To petition Congress.
(c) To avoid wealthy people.
(d) To start a new job.
12. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
(a) Mrs. Cabot Lodge.
(c) Wenlock Abbey.
(d) Clarence King.
13. Henry Adams likens men and theories to what?
(a) A spider in a web.
(b) A butterfly in a cocoon.
(c) A mouse in a hole.
(d) A man in danger.
14. What does the war in "Indian Summer" make Henry Adams wonder about?
(a) If unity is possible.
(b) If Canada will be next.
(c) How to spend his leisure time.
(d) The development of weapons.
15. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
(a) Taking vacations overseas.
(b) Creating treaties and alliances.
(c) Petitioning for new laws and regulations.
(d) Pushing for war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who replaced their minister in London in "Vis Inertiae"?
2. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
3. How does editing the North American Review impact Henry Adams?
4. In 1894, where did King induce Henry Adams to visit?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 31, how does Henry Adams say he feels?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)