|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
(a) He says it was a sign of the past.
(b) He says he is suprised it floats.
(c) He says it is a technological marvel.
(d) He says it was too long.
2. How does Henry Adams say his dynamic theory of history began?
(a) With little hope.
(b) With a dream.
(c) With a question.
(d) With an observation.
3. What theory does Henry Adams begin to develop?
(a) Theory of inerta.
(b) Theory of force.
(c) Theory of movement.
(d) Theory of gravity.
4. The dictionary says that inertia is a property of what?
5. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as "anything that does, or helps to do work".
6. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
(a) Manufacture all its own goods.
(b) Build the longest railway in the world.
(c) Run out of money to support its citizens.
(d) Crush other cultures and countries.
7. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
(a) A waste of money.
(b) Behind the times.
(c) Confusing and convoluted.
8. What does Hay's work as Secretary of State remind Henry Adams?
9. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
(a) A new history.
(b) A new leader.
(c) A new centre.
(d) A new bridge.
10. In 1900, what was the chief interest of Washington, DC?
(a) Its recent influx of money.
(b) Its diversity of people.
(c) Its consolidation of power.
(d) Its distance from New York.
11. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
12. Who does Henry Adams say very few Americans envied?
(a) The royalty.
(b) The very rich.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The very poor.
13. In "The Height of Knowledge", what happens to President McKinley?
(a) He resigns.
(b) He is re-elected.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He loses the election.
14. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
15. In "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams focus his exploration into how to look at the world?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Twilight", what does Henry Adams study?
2. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
3. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
4. What career does Henry Adams try to return to, but can't, in "Indian Summer"?
5. How does the Senate respond to Hay's actions in "Twilight"?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)