|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hay's work as Secretary of State remind Henry Adams?
2. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
3. When Henry Adams travels to Beyreuth, what has changed?
(a) The pollution.
(b) The romanticism.
(c) The languages people speak.
(d) The train.
4. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
5. When traveling with Mrs. Lodge, what does Henry Adams decide to label himself as?
(a) A Conservate Catholic Anarchist.
(b) A Conservative Christian Anarchist.
(c) A Liberal Christian Anarchist.
(d) A Liberal Catholic Anarchist.
6. In Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history, what is accomplished?
(a) Revolutions and progress.
(b) Inertia and movement.
(c) New forces and innovations.
(d) Work and progress.
7. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
(a) A new bridge.
(b) A new history.
(c) A new leader.
(d) A new centre.
8. What is Henry Adams trying to discover in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Something to further the complexities.
(b) Something unifying.
(c) Something to end war.
(d) Something revolutionary.
9. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", Henry Adams says that in the past man was attracted to what energy and force?
10. What is the diplomatic crisis in "Vis Inertiae"?
(a) Travel to Germany.
(b) Access to China.
(c) Trade with Russia.
(d) War with France.
11. What is the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
(a) A geological survey.
(b) A historical survey.
(c) A census.
(d) An opinon survey.
12. In 1894, where did King induce Henry Adams to visit?
13. How old is Henry Adams in "Indian Summer"?
14. In "A Law of Acceleration", what does Henry Adams say historians now ask to be?
15. What career does Henry Adams try to return to, but can't, in "Indian Summer"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
2. Henry Adams says that as things become more complex, they need what?
3. Why did Henry Adams go to Washington, DC in "Nunc Age"?
4. What failure does Henry Adams attempt to analyze in "Silence"?
5. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)