|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Senate respond to Hay's actions in "Twilight"?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They question him.
(c) They support him.
(d) They oppose him.
2. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
3. What does Henry Adams say Stockholm is pressed by?
(a) Rocks and Russia.
(b) Cold and Germans.
(c) Glaciers and debt.
(d) Northern ice and Russia.
4. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Raise horses.
(d) Teach at a new college.
5. Who is the author of "The Grammar of Science"?
6. What subject is Henry Adams going to teach?
(a) Literature of the Middle Ages.
(b) History of the Middle Ages.
7. In "Vis Nova", when discussing the current White House, what does Henry Adams say had no place there?
8. When Henry Adams travels to Beyreuth, what has changed?
(a) The languages people speak.
(b) The train.
(c) The pollution.
(d) The romanticism.
9. Where did Henry Adams go in "The Dynamo and The Virgin" to try to gain knowledge?
(a) The Chicago Library.
(b) The Great Exhibition.
(c) The Smithsonian.
10. Henry Adams notes that progress is unstoppable so what is necessary?
(a) A way to relax.
(b) Social programs for the poor.
(c) A new education.
(d) More electricity.
11. When Henry Adams goes to Washington, DC in "Nunc Age", what does he note Hay needs?
(c) A wife.
12. What is the diplomatic crisis in "Vis Inertiae"?
(a) Travel to Germany.
(b) Access to China.
(c) Trade with Russia.
(d) War with France.
13. Where does Henry Adams travel to first in "Teufelsdrtzck"?
14. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
(a) A new bridge.
(b) A new centre.
(c) A new leader.
(d) A new history.
15. What countries appear poised to go to war in "Vis Nova"?
(a) Russia and Japan.
(b) France and Russia.
(c) Germany and France.
(d) Germany and Japan.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as the "development and economy of forces"?
2. When Henry Adams travels during "Silence", what does he mostly think about?
3. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
4. In "Twilight", what country does everyone want access to?
5. In "Twenty Years After", who is running for presidency?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)