|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry Adams says that unity is is a scientific analysis commonly called what?
2. Who does Henry Adams compare Theodore Roosevelt to?
3. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
(b) Socratic seminars.
(c) Historical method.
(d) Discovery method.
4. What is the principle element Henry Adams is trying to understand in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Inertia as a movement of matter.
(b) Unity among chaos.
(c) Accelerating technological progress.
(d) The Virgin as progress.
5. What does Henry Adams say Russia is represented by?
6. Why did Henry Adams go to Washington, DC in "Nunc Age"?
(a) To wait for the end.
(b) To petition Congress.
(c) To avoid wealthy people.
(d) To start a new job.
7. Henry Adams likens men and theories to what?
(a) A man in danger.
(b) A mouse in a hole.
(c) A butterfly in a cocoon.
(d) A spider in a web.
8. What does Henry Adams say 19th century society measured their progress by?
(a) Coal output.
(b) Artistic creations.
(c) Steam use.
(d) Housing development.
9. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
(b) Wenlock Abbey.
(c) Mrs. Cabot Lodge.
(d) Clarence King.
10. In "The Height of Knowledge", what happens to President McKinley?
(a) He loses the election.
(b) He is assassinated.
(c) He resigns.
(d) He is re-elected.
11. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
12. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", Henry Adams says that in the past man was attracted to what energy and force?
13. How old is Henry Adams in "Indian Summer"?
14. Who does Henry Adams meet because of his work at the North American Review?
(a) Frank Welch.
(b) Clarence King.
(c) Frank Emmons.
(d) All the senators.
15. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Henry Adams, how should a man's force be measured?
2. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
3. What was Roosevelt's main job in "Nunc Age"?
4. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
5. Where does Henry Adams travel to first in "Teufelsdrtzck"?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)