|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry Adams say his dynamic theory of history began?
(a) With an observation.
(b) With a dream.
(c) With a question.
(d) With little hope.
2. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
(a) The tide rising and falling.
(b) Snow falling.
(c) Autumn leaves dropping.
(d) Flowers wilting.
3. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as the "development and economy of forces"?
4. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
(a) Pushing for war.
(b) Petitioning for new laws and regulations.
(c) Creating treaties and alliances.
(d) Taking vacations overseas.
5. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
6. In "Vis Nova", when did Henry Adams return to Washington, DC?
(a) In the spring.
(b) Before Thanksgiving.
(c) After Christmas.
(d) After the war started.
7. In "Indian Summer", what country becomes allies with the United States in the war?
8. What was Roosevelt's main job in "Nunc Age"?
(a) Signing immigration laws.
(b) Making speeches.
(c) Battling trusts.
(d) Going hunting.
9. What does Henry Adams say Russia is represented by?
10. What is the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
(a) A census.
(b) A geological survey.
(c) An opinon survey.
(d) A historical survey.
11. Henry Adams predicts that if science keeps doubling its complexities, what will succumb?
12. In "Vis Nova", when discussing the current White House, what does Henry Adams say had no place there?
13. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
(a) Manufacture all its own goods.
(b) Run out of money to support its citizens.
(c) Crush other cultures and countries.
(d) Build the longest railway in the world.
14. What countries appear poised to go to war in "Vis Nova"?
(a) Germany and Japan.
(b) France and Russia.
(c) Russia and Japan.
(d) Germany and France.
15. How old is Henry Adams in "Indian Summer"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
2. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
3. The dictionary says that inertia is a property of what?
4. In "The Height of Knowledge", what happens to President McKinley?
5. When Henry Adams returns to New York in "Nunc Age", what has grown in the city?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)