|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What countries appear poised to go to war in "Vis Nova"?
(a) France and Russia.
(b) Russia and Japan.
(c) Germany and France.
(d) Germany and Japan.
2. What does Henry Adams say Americans in the year 2000 would know how to do?
(a) Unify complex thought.
(b) Control unlimited power.
(c) Fly planes.
(d) Read scientific theories.
3. What war breaks out in "Indian Summer"?
(a) The French-Indian War.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Spanish-American War.
(d) The War of 1812.
4. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
(a) On the shore of a sunless sea.
(b) On a cliff above the valley.
(c) On their toes.
(d) On the highest ground in town.
5. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
(a) Wenlock Abbey.
(c) Mrs. Cabot Lodge.
(d) Clarence King.
6. Who replaced their minister in London in "Vis Inertiae"?
(c) The Chinese Prime Minister.
(d) The Kaiser.
7. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Raise horses.
(c) Teach at a new college.
8. In "A Law of Acceleration", what does Henry Adams say is the ultimate object of science?
9. What does Henry Adams say 19th century society measured their progress by?
(a) Steam use.
(b) Artistic creations.
(c) Coal output.
(d) Housing development.
10. What is Henry Adams trying to discover in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Something to end war.
(b) Something to further the complexities.
(c) Something unifying.
(d) Something revolutionary.
11. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
(a) Snow falling.
(b) Autumn leaves dropping.
(c) Flowers wilting.
(d) The tide rising and falling.
12. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
13. In "Twilight", what does Henry Adams study?
14. Henry Adams says that as things become more complex, they need what?
(a) A simple representation.
(b) An end.
(c) A wider evaluation.
(d) A larger synthesis.
15. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as the "development and economy of forces"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What century does Henry Adams consider using to measure his own time in history?
2. When does Henry Adams say his education ended?
3. How is "The Grammar of Science" described to Henry Adams?
4. In "The Height of Knowledge", what happens to President McKinley?
5. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)