|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Henry Adams say his education ended?
2. What country seems able to "roll over" Hay?
3. What does Hay's work as Secretary of State remind Henry Adams?
4. Where does Henry Adams rent a room?
(a) New York City.
5. What career does Henry Adams try to return to, but can't, in "Indian Summer"?
6. What war breaks out in "Indian Summer"?
(a) The French-Indian War.
(b) The War of 1812.
(c) The Spanish-American War.
(d) World War I.
7. Who is the author of "The Grammar of Science"?
8. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
9. In "A Law of Acceleration", what does Henry Adams say is the ultimate object of science?
10. What does Henry Adams say 19th century society measured their progress by?
(a) Steam use.
(b) Coal output.
(c) Artistic creations.
(d) Housing development.
11. Where does Henry Adams travel in "The Abyss of Ignorance"?
12. How does the Senate respond to Hay's actions in "Twilight"?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They support him.
(c) They oppose him.
(d) They question him.
13. Why did Henry Adams go to Washington, DC in "Nunc Age"?
(a) To avoid wealthy people.
(b) To wait for the end.
(c) To start a new job.
(d) To petition Congress.
14. What is the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
(a) A geological survey.
(b) An opinon survey.
(c) A census.
(d) A historical survey.
15. What reminds Henry Adams of Darwinism in "Twilight"?
(a) His dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams describe "The Woman" in America?
2. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
3. What failure does Henry Adams attempt to analyze in "Silence"?
4. What does the war in "Indian Summer" make Henry Adams wonder about?
5. Henry Adams predicts that if science keeps doubling its complexities, what will succumb?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)