|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
2. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
3. Where does Henry Adams travel in "The Abyss of Ignorance"?
4. Henry Adams likens men and theories to what?
(a) A spider in a web.
(b) A butterfly in a cocoon.
(c) A man in danger.
(d) A mouse in a hole.
5. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
(a) Crush other cultures and countries.
(b) Manufacture all its own goods.
(c) Build the longest railway in the world.
(d) Run out of money to support its citizens.
6. In Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history, what is accomplished?
(a) Revolutions and progress.
(b) Work and progress.
(c) New forces and innovations.
(d) Inertia and movement.
7. What theory does Henry Adams begin to develop?
(a) Theory of gravity.
(b) Theory of movement.
(c) Theory of inerta.
(d) Theory of force.
8. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
9. In "Twenty Years After", who is running for presidency?
10. In 1900, what was the chief interest of Washington, DC?
(a) Its recent influx of money.
(b) Its consolidation of power.
(c) Its distance from New York.
(d) Its diversity of people.
11. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
(a) He says it is a technological marvel.
(b) He says he is suprised it floats.
(c) He says it was a sign of the past.
(d) He says it was too long.
12. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
13. When Henry Adams returns to New York in "Nunc Age", what has grown in the city?
14. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", Henry Adams says that in the past man was attracted to what energy and force?
15. In "Silence", when does Henry Adams leave Washington, DC?
(a) When he runs out of work.
(b) When the housing prices rise.
(c) When McKinley becomes president.
(d) When Clarence King fails.
Short Answer Questions
1. What exposition does Henry Adams attend in 1904?
2. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as the "development and economy of forces"?
3. What does Henry Adams say 19th century society measured their progress by?
4. In "Twenty Years After", Henry Adams says the world is no longer what?
5. What was Roosevelt's main job in "Nunc Age"?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)