|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
2. What thought does Henry Adams distrust?
3. Henry Adams says that even though he has looked at art in Art Museums he doesn't know what?
(a) How to make his own art.
(b) How to buy art as an investment.
(c) How to analyze art.
(d) How to look at art exhibits in 1900.
4. What century does Henry Adams consider using to measure his own time in history?
5. In 1894, where did King induce Henry Adams to visit?
6. How does Henry Adams say America takes tragedy in "The Height of Knowledge"?
(c) With a grain of salt.
7. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", Henry Adams says that in the past man was attracted to what energy and force?
8. What is the diplomatic crisis in "Vis Inertiae"?
(a) War with France.
(b) Travel to Germany.
(c) Trade with Russia.
(d) Access to China.
9. In Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history, what is accomplished?
(a) Work and progress.
(b) New forces and innovations.
(c) Revolutions and progress.
(d) Inertia and movement.
10. Who does Henry Adams meet because of his work at the North American Review?
(a) Clarence King.
(b) Frank Emmons.
(c) All the senators.
(d) Frank Welch.
11. Where did Henry Adams go in "The Dynamo and The Virgin" to try to gain knowledge?
(a) The Smithsonian.
(b) The Great Exhibition.
(c) The Chicago Library.
12. How is "The Grammar of Science" described to Henry Adams?
13. What exposition does Henry Adams attend in 1904?
(a) St. Louis Exposition.
(b) Detroit Exposition.
(c) Chicago Exposition.
(d) New York Exposition.
14. Henry Adams notes that progress is unstoppable so what is necessary?
(a) Social programs for the poor.
(b) A way to relax.
(c) A new education.
(d) More electricity.
15. Where does Henry Adams travel to first in "Teufelsdrtzck"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
2. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
3. How old is Henry Adams in "Indian Summer"?
4. In "Twilight", what country does everyone want access to?
5. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)