|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dictionary says that inertia is a property of what?
2. Henry Adams says that even though he has looked at art in Art Museums he doesn't know what?
(a) How to analyze art.
(b) How to look at art exhibits in 1900.
(c) How to make his own art.
(d) How to buy art as an investment.
3. In Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history, what is accomplished?
(a) Work and progress.
(b) Inertia and movement.
(c) Revolutions and progress.
(d) New forces and innovations.
4. In "Silence", when does Henry Adams leave Washington, DC?
(a) When Clarence King fails.
(b) When the housing prices rise.
(c) When he runs out of work.
(d) When McKinley becomes president.
5. Henry Adams says that unity is is a scientific analysis commonly called what?
6. What countries appear poised to go to war in "Vis Nova"?
(a) France and Russia.
(b) Germany and Japan.
(c) Germany and France.
(d) Russia and Japan.
7. What is Henry Adams trying to discover in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Something to end war.
(b) Something to further the complexities.
(c) Something unifying.
(d) Something revolutionary.
8. Henry Adams predicts that if science keeps doubling its complexities, what will succumb?
9. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as "anything that does, or helps to do work".
10. What century does Henry Adams consider using to measure his own time in history?
11. Where did Henry Adams go in "The Dynamo and The Virgin" to try to gain knowledge?
(a) The Chicago Library.
(c) The Smithsonian.
(d) The Great Exhibition.
12. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
(a) A new leader.
(b) A new centre.
(c) A new bridge.
(d) A new history.
13. What theory does Henry Adams begin to develop?
(a) Theory of movement.
(b) Theory of force.
(c) Theory of gravity.
(d) Theory of inerta.
14. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
(b) Write a book.
(c) Raise horses.
(d) Teach at a new college.
15. How does Henry Adams say America takes tragedy in "The Height of Knowledge"?
(d) With a grain of salt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
2. In "Indian Summer", what country becomes allies with the United States in the war?
3. In "Twilight", what country does everyone want access to?
4. When does Henry Adams say he wish he could return to see the world?
5. How does editing the North American Review impact Henry Adams?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)