|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hay's work as Secretary of State remind Henry Adams?
2. Henry Adams says that unity is is a scientific analysis commonly called what?
3. What does Henry Adams say Americans in the year 2000 would know how to do?
(a) Unify complex thought.
(b) Control unlimited power.
(c) Fly planes.
(d) Read scientific theories.
4. Where does Henry Adams travel to first in "Teufelsdrtzck"?
5. What war breaks out in "Indian Summer"?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Spanish-American War.
(c) The French-Indian War.
(d) The War of 1812.
6. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
(a) Write a book.
(c) Teach at a new college.
(d) Raise horses.
7. In "Vis Nova", when discussing the current White House, what does Henry Adams say had no place there?
8. Henry Adams says that as things become more complex, they need what?
(a) A wider evaluation.
(b) An end.
(c) A simple representation.
(d) A larger synthesis.
9. What does the war in "Indian Summer" make Henry Adams wonder about?
(a) If Canada will be next.
(b) How to spend his leisure time.
(c) If unity is possible.
(d) The development of weapons.
10. In "Twenty Years After", who is running for presidency?
11. Who does Henry Adams compare Theodore Roosevelt to?
12. When traveling with Mrs. Lodge, what does Henry Adams decide to label himself as?
(a) A Conservate Catholic Anarchist.
(b) A Liberal Christian Anarchist.
(c) A Conservative Christian Anarchist.
(d) A Liberal Catholic Anarchist.
13. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
(a) A new history.
(b) A new bridge.
(c) A new centre.
(d) A new leader.
14. In "Silence", when does Henry Adams leave Washington, DC?
(a) When the housing prices rise.
(b) When he runs out of work.
(c) When McKinley becomes president.
(d) When Clarence King fails.
15. In "Twilight", what does Henry Adams study?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
2. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as the "development and economy of forces"?
3. The dictionary says that inertia is a property of what?
4. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
5. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)