|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
2. Who does Henry Adams meet because of his work at the North American Review?
(a) All the senators.
(b) Frank Emmons.
(c) Frank Welch.
(d) Clarence King.
3. When traveling with Mrs. Lodge, what does Henry Adams decide to label himself as?
(a) A Liberal Catholic Anarchist.
(b) A Conservative Christian Anarchist.
(c) A Liberal Christian Anarchist.
(d) A Conservate Catholic Anarchist.
4. What is the diplomatic crisis in "Vis Inertiae"?
(a) War with France.
(b) Trade with Russia.
(c) Travel to Germany.
(d) Access to China.
5. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
(a) A new centre.
(b) A new bridge.
(c) A new history.
(d) A new leader.
6. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Teach at a new college.
(c) Raise horses.
7. Where does Henry Adams rent a room?
(d) New York City.
8. The dictionary says that inertia is a property of what?
9. What did Langley teach Adams?
(a) About math.
(b) About steam power.
(c) About art.
(d) About motors.
10. Where did Henry Adams go in "The Dynamo and The Virgin" to try to gain knowledge?
(b) The Great Exhibition.
(c) The Chicago Library.
(d) The Smithsonian.
11. What is Henry Adams trying to discover in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Something unifying.
(b) Something to end war.
(c) Something revolutionary.
(d) Something to further the complexities.
12. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
13. What does Henry Adams say Stockholm is pressed by?
(a) Glaciers and debt.
(b) Cold and Germans.
(c) Northern ice and Russia.
(d) Rocks and Russia.
14. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
(a) On the shore of a sunless sea.
(b) On a cliff above the valley.
(c) On their toes.
(d) On the highest ground in town.
15. Who does Henry Adams say very few Americans envied?
(a) The very rich.
(b) The very poor.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The royalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", Henry Adams says that in the past man was attracted to what energy and force?
2. Who replaced their minister in London in "Vis Inertiae"?
3. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
4. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
5. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)