|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the principle element Henry Adams is trying to understand in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Unity among chaos.
(b) Inertia as a movement of matter.
(c) Accelerating technological progress.
(d) The Virgin as progress.
2. In "Vis Nova", when did Henry Adams return to Washington, DC?
(a) In the spring.
(b) After the war started.
(c) After Christmas.
(d) Before Thanksgiving.
3. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
4. Who does Henry Adams compare Theodore Roosevelt to?
5. What does Henry Adams have in common with his friend, Hay?
(a) They both wrote about American history.
(b) They both lost all their money.
(c) They both ran for political office.
(d) They both fought in only one war.
6. Where does Henry Adams rent a room?
(d) New York City.
7. What was Roosevelt's main job in "Nunc Age"?
(a) Battling trusts.
(b) Making speeches.
(c) Signing immigration laws.
(d) Going hunting.
8. What does Henry Adams say Stockholm is pressed by?
(a) Glaciers and debt.
(b) Northern ice and Russia.
(c) Rocks and Russia.
(d) Cold and Germans.
9. Who does Henry Adams meet because of his work at the North American Review?
(a) Frank Welch.
(b) All the senators.
(c) Frank Emmons.
(d) Clarence King.
10. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
(a) Behind the times.
(c) A waste of money.
(d) Confusing and convoluted.
11. What is Henry Adams trying to discover in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Something unifying.
(b) Something to end war.
(c) Something revolutionary.
(d) Something to further the complexities.
12. The dictionary says that inertia is a property of what?
13. How old is Henry Adams in "Indian Summer"?
14. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
15. How does editing the North American Review impact Henry Adams?
(a) He has no time to teach.
(b) He learns he can't edit well.
(c) He makes more money.
(d) He has no time for creative work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
2. In "Twilight", what country does everyone want access to?
3. In "Twenty Years After", Henry Adams says the world is no longer what?
4. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as "anything that does, or helps to do work".
5. What is the diplomatic crisis in "Vis Inertiae"?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)