|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1900, what was the chief interest of Washington, DC?
(a) Its distance from New York.
(b) Its diversity of people.
(c) Its consolidation of power.
(d) Its recent influx of money.
2. Where does Henry Adams rent a room?
(b) New York City.
3. How old is Henry Adams in "Indian Summer"?
4. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
(a) Petitioning for new laws and regulations.
(b) Pushing for war.
(c) Taking vacations overseas.
(d) Creating treaties and alliances.
5. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
(b) Confusing and convoluted.
(c) A waste of money.
(d) Behind the times.
6. Where does Henry Adams travel in "The Abyss of Ignorance"?
7. The dictionary says that inertia is a property of what?
8. What did Langley teach Adams?
(a) About art.
(b) About math.
(c) About motors.
(d) About steam power.
9. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
(a) Socratic seminars.
(b) Historical method.
(d) Discovery method.
10. In "A Law of Acceleration", what does Henry Adams say historians now ask to be?
11. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
(b) Clarence King.
(c) Mrs. Cabot Lodge.
(d) Wenlock Abbey.
12. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
13. When Henry Adams travels to Beyreuth, what has changed?
(a) The languages people speak.
(b) The pollution.
(c) The romanticism.
(d) The train.
14. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
15. What failure does Henry Adams attempt to analyze in "Silence"?
(a) The failure of Clarence King.
(b) The failure of the Titanic.
(c) The failure of the 19th century.
(d) The failure of McKinley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What century does Henry Adams consider using to measure his own time in history?
2. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
3. In "Silence", when does Henry Adams leave Washington, DC?
4. What is the Fortieth Parallel Survey?
5. Where does Henry Adams travel to first in "Teufelsdrtzck"?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)