|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1900, what was the chief interest of Washington, DC?
(a) Its consolidation of power.
(b) Its recent influx of money.
(c) Its distance from New York.
(d) Its diversity of people.
2. Where did Henry Adams go in "The Dynamo and The Virgin" to try to gain knowledge?
(a) The Great Exhibition.
(b) The Smithsonian.
(c) The Chicago Library.
3. Henry Adams predicts that if science keeps doubling its complexities, what will succumb?
4. When Henry Adams travels during "Silence", what does he mostly think about?
(a) How improved his life is.
(b) How nature is the real solution.
(c) How generous people are.
(d) How everything is falling apart.
5. In "Twenty Years After", who is running for presidency?
6. Who does Henry Adams meet because of his work at the North American Review?
(a) Frank Welch.
(b) Clarence King.
(c) Frank Emmons.
(d) All the senators.
7. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", Henry Adams says that in the past man was attracted to what energy and force?
8. What does Hay's work as Secretary of State remind Henry Adams?
9. According to Henry Adams, how should a man's force be measured?
(a) By action.
(b) By other's opinions.
(c) By motion.
(d) By his bank account.
10. What does Henry Adams have in common with his friend, Hay?
(a) They both ran for political office.
(b) They both lost all their money.
(c) They both wrote about American history.
(d) They both fought in only one war.
11. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
(a) Crush other cultures and countries.
(b) Run out of money to support its citizens.
(c) Manufacture all its own goods.
(d) Build the longest railway in the world.
12. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
(a) Hard to apply and worthless.
(b) Poor and difficult.
(c) Faulty and ill constructed.
(d) Boring and slow.
13. In "The Height of Knowledge", what happens to President McKinley?
(a) He loses the election.
(b) He is assassinated.
(c) He is re-elected.
(d) He resigns.
14. What country seems able to "roll over" Hay?
15. In the beginning of Chapter 31, how does Henry Adams say he feels?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1894, where did King induce Henry Adams to visit?
2. In Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history, what is accomplished?
3. When traveling with Mrs. Lodge, what does Henry Adams decide to label himself as?
4. What exposition does Henry Adams attend in 1904?
5. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)