|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country seems able to "roll over" Hay?
2. When does Henry Adams say he wish he could return to see the world?
3. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
(a) Manufacture all its own goods.
(b) Build the longest railway in the world.
(c) Crush other cultures and countries.
(d) Run out of money to support its citizens.
4. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
(a) Wenlock Abbey.
(c) Mrs. Cabot Lodge.
(d) Clarence King.
5. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as the "development and economy of forces"?
6. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
(a) Faulty and ill constructed.
(b) Hard to apply and worthless.
(c) Boring and slow.
(d) Poor and difficult.
7. What did Langley teach Adams?
(a) About math.
(b) About art.
(c) About motors.
(d) About steam power.
8. What does Clarence King do in Arizona?
(b) Raise horses.
(c) Write a book.
(d) Teach at a new college.
9. In "Vis Nova", when discussing the current White House, what does Henry Adams say had no place there?
10. How does the Senate respond to Hay's actions in "Twilight"?
(a) They support him.
(b) They oppose him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They question him.
11. What is the principle element Henry Adams is trying to understand in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Accelerating technological progress.
(b) Unity among chaos.
(c) Inertia as a movement of matter.
(d) The Virgin as progress.
12. In the beginning of Chapter 31, how does Henry Adams say he feels?
13. What was Roosevelt's main job in "Nunc Age"?
(a) Signing immigration laws.
(b) Going hunting.
(c) Battling trusts.
(d) Making speeches.
14. What does Henry Adams say 19th century society measured their progress by?
(a) Artistic creations.
(b) Coal output.
(c) Steam use.
(d) Housing development.
15. According to Henry Adams, how should a man's force be measured?
(a) By other's opinions.
(b) By his bank account.
(c) By motion.
(d) By action.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who replaced their minister in London in "Vis Inertiae"?
2. At the end of "The Abyss of Ignorance", how many books does Henry Adams say he will write?
3. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
4. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
5. Who is the author of "The Grammar of Science"?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)