|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry Adams says that as things become more complex, they need what?
(a) A larger synthesis.
(b) A simple representation.
(c) A wider evaluation.
(d) An end.
2. In "A Law of Acceleration", what does Henry Adams say historians now ask to be?
3. What is Henry Adams trying to discover in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Something to end war.
(b) Something revolutionary.
(c) Something to further the complexities.
(d) Something unifying.
4. What does Henry Adams say Americans in the year 2000 would know how to do?
(a) Unify complex thought.
(b) Read scientific theories.
(c) Control unlimited power.
(d) Fly planes.
5. Where does Henry Adams travel in "The Abyss of Ignorance"?
6. What does Henry Adams say Stockholm is pressed by?
(a) Northern ice and Russia.
(b) Cold and Germans.
(c) Rocks and Russia.
(d) Glaciers and debt.
7. How does editing the North American Review impact Henry Adams?
(a) He has no time for creative work.
(b) He learns he can't edit well.
(c) He has no time to teach.
(d) He makes more money.
8. Henry Adams says that even though he has looked at art in Art Museums he doesn't know what?
(a) How to look at art exhibits in 1900.
(b) How to make his own art.
(c) How to analyze art.
(d) How to buy art as an investment.
9. In "Twilight", what does Henry Adams study?
10. When Henry Adams returns to New York in "Nunc Age", what has grown in the city?
11. In the beginning of Chapter 31, how does Henry Adams say he feels?
12. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
(a) Manufacture all its own goods.
(b) Build the longest railway in the world.
(c) Crush other cultures and countries.
(d) Run out of money to support its citizens.
13. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", Henry Adams says that in the past man was attracted to what energy and force?
14. In "Silence", when does Henry Adams leave Washington, DC?
(a) When Clarence King fails.
(b) When McKinley becomes president.
(c) When he runs out of work.
(d) When the housing prices rise.
15. What exposition does Henry Adams attend in 1904?
(a) New York Exposition.
(b) Chicago Exposition.
(c) Detroit Exposition.
(d) St. Louis Exposition.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
2. What thought does Henry Adams distrust?
3. Who does Henry Adams say very few Americans envied?
4. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
5. Who does Henry Adams compare Theodore Roosevelt to?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)