|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What career does Henry Adams try to return to, but can't, in "Indian Summer"?
2. What does the war in "Indian Summer" make Henry Adams wonder about?
(a) The development of weapons.
(b) If unity is possible.
(c) If Canada will be next.
(d) How to spend his leisure time.
3. When does Henry Adams say his education ended?
4. What is Henry Adams trying to discover in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) Something unifying.
(b) Something to end war.
(c) Something revolutionary.
(d) Something to further the complexities.
5. What exposition does Henry Adams attend in 1904?
(a) New York Exposition.
(b) St. Louis Exposition.
(c) Chicago Exposition.
(d) Detroit Exposition.
6. In "Silence", when does Henry Adams leave Washington, DC?
(a) When McKinley becomes president.
(b) When the housing prices rise.
(c) When he runs out of work.
(d) When Clarence King fails.
7. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
(a) Taking vacations overseas.
(b) Creating treaties and alliances.
(c) Petitioning for new laws and regulations.
(d) Pushing for war.
8. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
(a) A new bridge.
(b) A new centre.
(c) A new history.
(d) A new leader.
9. Where did Henry Adams go in "The Dynamo and The Virgin" to try to gain knowledge?
(a) The Great Exhibition.
(c) The Chicago Library.
(d) The Smithsonian.
10. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
(a) Snow falling.
(b) The tide rising and falling.
(c) Flowers wilting.
(d) Autumn leaves dropping.
11. When traveling with Mrs. Lodge, what does Henry Adams decide to label himself as?
(a) A Liberal Catholic Anarchist.
(b) A Conservative Christian Anarchist.
(c) A Conservate Catholic Anarchist.
(d) A Liberal Christian Anarchist.
12. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
(a) Boring and slow.
(b) Hard to apply and worthless.
(c) Poor and difficult.
(d) Faulty and ill constructed.
13. What is the principle element Henry Adams is trying to understand in "The Grammar of Science"?
(a) The Virgin as progress.
(b) Accelerating technological progress.
(c) Inertia as a movement of matter.
(d) Unity among chaos.
14. Henry Adams predicts that if science keeps doubling its complexities, what will succumb?
15. Henry Adams says that unity is is a scientific analysis commonly called what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reminds Henry Adams of Darwinism in "Twilight"?
2. In "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams focus his exploration into how to look at the world?
3. When Henry Adams travels during "Silence", what does he mostly think about?
4. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
5. In "A Law of Acceleration", what does Henry Adams say is the ultimate object of science?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)