|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image does Henry Adams say is needed in "A Law of Acceleration"?
(a) A new bridge.
(b) A new history.
(c) A new centre.
(d) A new leader.
2. In "Vis Nova", when discussing the current White House, what does Henry Adams say had no place there?
3. Where does Henry Adams rent a room?
(b) New York City.
4. How does Henry Adams describe "The Woman" in America?
5. Who does Henry Adams say very few Americans envied?
(a) The royalty.
(b) The very rich.
(c) The very poor.
(d) The politicians.
6. What career does Henry Adams try to return to, but can't, in "Indian Summer"?
7. Who is the author of "The Grammar of Science"?
8. In "A Law of Acceleration", what does Henry Adams say historians now ask to be?
9. Henry Adams says that even though he has looked at art in Art Museums he doesn't know what?
(a) How to analyze art.
(b) How to look at art exhibits in 1900.
(c) How to make his own art.
(d) How to buy art as an investment.
10. What century does Henry Adams consider using to measure his own time in history?
11. What does Henry Adams say Americans in the year 2000 would know how to do?
(a) Unify complex thought.
(b) Read scientific theories.
(c) Fly planes.
(d) Control unlimited power.
12. In 1900, what was the chief interest of Washington, DC?
(a) Its diversity of people.
(b) Its consolidation of power.
(c) Its distance from New York.
(d) Its recent influx of money.
13. When does Henry Adams say he wish he could return to see the world?
14. What does Henry Adams have in common with his friend, Hay?
(a) They both ran for political office.
(b) They both lost all their money.
(c) They both wrote about American history.
(d) They both fought in only one war.
15. In "A Dynamic Theory of History", what does Henry Adams describe as "anything that does, or helps to do work".
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought does Henry Adams distrust?
2. In "Vis Nova", when did Henry Adams return to Washington, DC?
3. How does the Senate respond to Hay's actions in "Twilight"?
4. Where does Henry Adams travel to first in "Teufelsdrtzck"?
5. What does Henry Adams think Russia could do because of its size?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)