|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kept Henry Adams in contact with society?
(a) Wenlock Abbey.
(b) Clarence King.
(d) Mrs. Cabot Lodge.
2. What country seems able to "roll over" Hay?
3. In "The Abyss of Ignorance", Henry Adams says that philosophers have stood where for thousands of years?
(a) On the shore of a sunless sea.
(b) On a cliff above the valley.
(c) On the highest ground in town.
(d) On their toes.
4. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
5. What did Henry Adams see the dynamo as a symbol of?
6. What thought does Henry Adams distrust?
7. What is the diplomatic crisis in "Vis Inertiae"?
(a) Travel to Germany.
(b) Access to China.
(c) Trade with Russia.
(d) War with France.
8. What exposition does Henry Adams attend in 1904?
(a) St. Louis Exposition.
(b) New York Exposition.
(c) Chicago Exposition.
(d) Detroit Exposition.
9. How does editing the North American Review impact Henry Adams?
(a) He learns he can't edit well.
(b) He makes more money.
(c) He has no time for creative work.
(d) He has no time to teach.
10. Henry Adams predicts that if science keeps doubling its complexities, what will succumb?
11. How does the Senate respond to Hay's actions in "Twilight"?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They oppose him.
(c) They support him.
(d) They question him.
12. After reading "The Grammar of Science", how does Henry Adams describe the book?
(a) Behind the times.
(c) Confusing and convoluted.
(d) A waste of money.
13. What technique does Henry Adams use to teach in "Failure"?
(a) Discovery method.
(b) Socratic seminars.
(c) Historical method.
14. When Henry Adams returns to New York in "Nunc Age", what has grown in the city?
15. How does Henry Adams describe "The Woman" in America?
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject is Henry Adams going to teach?
2. Who replaced their minister in London in "Vis Inertiae"?
3. According to Henry Adams in "Vis Inertiae", what do all minds do?
4. Where does Henry Adams travel in "The Abyss of Ignorance"?
5. Who does Henry Adams compare Theodore Roosevelt to?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)