|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) At a reception held by Milnes.
(b) Only in the United States.
(c) At the local pub.
(d) In Lord Russell's office.
2. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
(a) That they should release more.
(b) That is should be restrained.
(c) That it is left alone.
(d) That it should be green.
3. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
(d) His Harvard education.
4. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
(a) Very boring.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) The best preparation.
(d) A period of bonding.
5. What does Henry Adams feel correlates with the winter?
(c) Leaving home.
6. What part of Lyell's principles does Henry Adam's get stuck on in "Darwinism"?
(a) Glacier Theory.
(b) Backwards evolution.
(c) Mutation Theory.
(d) Uniform evolution.
7. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
8. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
(a) They reject it.
(b) They put it on the cover.
(c) They publish it reluctantly.
(d) They say they'll print it in four months.
9. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
(a) The railroad.
(b) The typewriter.
(c) The forest.
(d) The masses of poor people.
10. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
(a) Everyone seems confused.
(b) Everyone seems to be anti-slavery.
(c) Everyone seems changed.
(d) Everyone seems ignorant.
11. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
(a) They say they will form an alliance with whoever wins.
(b) They are in favor of the Union.
(c) They are against the Union.
(d) They have no public opinion.
12. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He looked forward to them.
(b) He saved them.
(c) He dreaded them.
(d) He returned them.
13. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
(a) A star.
(b) A homeless man.
(c) A goat.
(d) A caveman.
14. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
(b) Well-educated but dull.
(c) Slow-witted but well meaning.
(d) Worldly and experienced.
15. When does Henry Adams decide to join the Army?
(a) After the second battle of Bull Run.
(b) After the first battle of Bull Run.
(c) After the Civil War ends.
(d) After Brooks talks him into it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
2. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
3. During Chapter 2, "Boston", what plays the biggest role in Henry Adams' education?
4. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
5. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)