|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
(a) Wall Street Journal.
(b) Harvard Weekly.
(c) North American Review.
(d) Darwin Times.
2. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They fit in perfectly.
(b) They rose in rebellion against them.
(c) They blended them with American manners.
(d) They shied away from the complex rules.
3. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
(a) Ragged and poor.
(b) Dusty and slow.
(c) Rich and glitzy.
(d) Sunny and calm.
4. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
(a) Italy and France.
(b) The United States and Japan.
(c) Germany and France.
(d) Russia and Germany.
5. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
(a) The habits of the English.
(b) Knowledge of human nature.
(c) Time spent in Paris.
(d) Knowing how to properly bribe.
6. Where does Henry Adams live in "President Grant"?
(a) At the White House.
(b) A boarding house.
(c) A hotel room.
(d) With his father.
7. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
8. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(b) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(c) To down play his power in the war.
(d) To prove that he is neutral.
9. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
(a) That they are too educated.
(b) That they are uneducated.
(c) That they are dishonest.
(d) That they are elite.
10. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
(a) It's like children running the government.
(b) It's like frogs that wandered into a pub.
(c) It's like loose dogs in the street.
(d) It's like a maggot in cheese.
11. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
(a) They reject it.
(b) They publish it reluctantly.
(c) They put it on the cover.
(d) They say they'll print it in four months.
12. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
(a) Continue it for six more months.
(b) Value it above all the other parts.
(c) End it and travel to Asia.
(d) End it and return home.
13. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
(a) A caveman.
(b) A star.
(c) A goat.
(d) A homeless man.
14. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
(a) It is printed by a paper and satarized.
(b) It is lost in the mail.
(c) It is read by his father instead.
(d) It is turned into anti-war propaganda.
15. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
(c) C.F. Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
2. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
3. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
4. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
5. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)