|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Henry Adams in Chapter 12, who seems to be eccentric?
(a) Nearly everyone in England.
(b) His new group of artist friends.
(c) The Lords and Ladies.
(d) The Confederates.
2. In Chapter 10, who said: "The world can absorb only doses of truth. Too much would kill it"?
(a) Thurlow Weed.
(b) Henry Adams.
(c) William M. Evarts.
(d) Lord Russell.
3. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
(b) His Harvard education.
4. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
5. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
(a) That they are too educated.
(b) That they are dishonest.
(c) That they are elite.
(d) That they are uneducated.
6. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
(b) President Grant.
(c) Jay Gould.
7. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
(a) The law.
(b) Trade work.
(d) The press.
8. What does Henry Adams begin to collect in "Dilettamtism"?
(b) Ancient artifacts.
9. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
(c) Russell, Inc.
10. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
(a) He thinks it's nothing compared to unnatural selection.
(b) He thinks it is a good replacement for God.
(c) He thinks it needs more research.
(d) He thinks it can never replace God.
11. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
(a) They were given money as a reward.
(b) They were kicked out of social clubs.
(c) They were granted a higher social position.
(d) They earned titles in England.
12. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
(a) They were never printed.
(b) They were ridiculed.
(c) They were full of errors.
(d) They were successful.
13. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) The only battle.
(b) A silent battle.
(c) A military battle.
(d) A diplomatic battle.
14. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
(a) He focuses too much on society and forgets about his education.
(b) His interactions are unsuccessful.
(c) He is too afraid to interact with them.
(d) His interactions convince them to side with him.
15. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
(b) Staff writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
2. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
3. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
4. Why were Confederate cruisers able to escape British waters?
5. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)