|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
(a) Class Orator.
(b) Class President.
(c) Dean of Admissions.
(d) Resident Advisor.
2. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) A diplomatic battle.
(b) A silent battle.
(c) A military battle.
(d) The only battle.
3. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Works alone using a book.
(b) Registers at a high school.
(c) Hires a tutor.
(d) Gets a job in Germany.
4. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Charles Sumner.
(d) John Hay.
5. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
(a) Dusty and slow.
(b) Sunny and calm.
(c) Ragged and poor.
(d) Rich and glitzy.
6. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
(c) Staff writer.
7. Who else is involved in Henry Adams' journalistic investigation of the Gould scandal?
(a) Henry Boutwell.
(b) Brooks Adams.
(c) C.F. Adams.
(d) Frank Waller.
8. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
(a) Lord Russell.
(b) C.F. Adams.
(c) Henry Adams.
(d) Napoleon III.
9. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
(a) American eccentrics.
(b) The political eccentrics.
(c) Members of Parliament.
(d) No one.
10. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
(a) President Grant.
(b) Jay Gould.
11. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
12. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(a) A dog.
(b) Scarlet Fever.
(c) The British.
13. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
(a) He says there are too many rules.
(b) He worships it.
(c) He sees no point in it.
(d) He thinks it is classier than American society.
14. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
(b) Well-educated but dull.
(c) Slow-witted but well meaning.
(d) Worldly and experienced.
15. In "Political Morality", what position is Henry Adams almost promoted to?
(a) Assistant Secretary.
(b) Associate Secretary.
(c) Head of the Legation.
(d) Speaker of the Legation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
2. What position does Lincoln give Charles Francis Adams?
3. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
4. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
5. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)