|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Boston", why did Henry Adams say he hates school?
(a) Because he had to do partner work.
(b) Because he had to learn by rote.
(c) Because he had to read alone.
(d) Because they were lying to him.
2. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
(a) Value it above all the other parts.
(b) End it and return home.
(c) End it and travel to Asia.
(d) Continue it for six more months.
3. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
(a) His ferver for trying to break up the United States.
(b) His many mistresses.
(c) How trustworthy he really was.
(d) His attempts to get the South back into the Union.
4. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
5. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
(a) Johnson declares war.
(b) Lincoln is assassinated.
(c) England is invaded.
(d) The Legation ends.
6. Where does Henry Adams go to find work in "The Press"?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York City.
7. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
(a) He is too afraid to interact with them.
(b) His interactions are unsuccessful.
(c) His interactions convince them to side with him.
(d) He focuses too much on society and forgets about his education.
8. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
(a) He sees no point in it.
(b) He thinks it is classier than American society.
(c) He says there are too many rules.
(d) He worships it.
9. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(b) A dog.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
(d) The British.
10. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
(b) Jay Gould.
(c) President Grant.
11. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(b) To down play his power in the war.
(c) To prove that he is neutral.
(d) To stall until the rams can be completed.
12. How are foreigners treated in English society?
(a) They are tested.
(b) They are snubbed.
(c) They are examined closely.
(d) They are welcomed.
13. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
(a) Knowing how to properly bribe.
(b) Time spent in Paris.
(c) Knowledge of human nature.
(d) The habits of the English.
14. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
15. What part of Lyell's principles does Henry Adam's get stuck on in "Darwinism"?
(a) Backwards evolution.
(b) Uniform evolution.
(c) Glacier Theory.
(d) Mutation Theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
2. Why does the president of Harvard write Henry Adams a letter?
3. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
4. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
5. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)