|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
(a) England is invaded.
(b) Johnson declares war.
(c) Lincoln is assassinated.
(d) The Legation ends.
2. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They shied away from the complex rules.
(b) They blended them with American manners.
(c) They rose in rebellion against them.
(d) They fit in perfectly.
3. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
(a) Napoleon III.
(b) C.F. Adams.
(c) Henry Adams.
(d) Lord Russell.
4. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Worldly and experienced.
(b) Well-educated but dull.
(c) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
(d) Slow-witted but well meaning.
5. What part of Lyell's principles does Henry Adam's get stuck on in "Darwinism"?
(a) Mutation Theory.
(b) Uniform evolution.
(c) Backwards evolution.
(d) Glacier Theory.
6. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
(a) Members of Parliament.
(b) The political eccentrics.
(c) American eccentrics.
(d) No one.
7. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) A military battle.
(b) The only battle.
(c) A silent battle.
(d) A diplomatic battle.
8. Why does Henry Adams return to London in "Chaos"?
(a) To go back to college.
(b) To make sure his article was published.
(c) Because he got a new job.
(d) He needed to escape Grant.
9. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
10. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(b) C.F. Adams' logic.
(c) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
(d) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
11. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
(a) His interactions are unsuccessful.
(b) He is too afraid to interact with them.
(c) He focuses too much on society and forgets about his education.
(d) His interactions convince them to side with him.
12. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
(a) Ragged and poor.
(b) Sunny and calm.
(c) Dusty and slow.
(d) Rich and glitzy.
13. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
(a) They were successful.
(b) They were ridiculed.
(c) They were never printed.
(d) They were full of errors.
14. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He looked forward to them.
(b) He dreaded them.
(c) He saved them.
(d) He returned them.
15. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
(a) Because of his lack of knowledge of law.
(b) Because of his time spent in diplomacy.
(c) Because he does not respect the law.
(d) Because his grandfather was a bad lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
2. What is Sumner trying to accomplish in regards to foreign policy in "Free Fight"?
3. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
4. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
5. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)