|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He looked forward to them.
(b) He dreaded them.
(c) He returned them.
(d) He saved them.
2. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
(a) He thinks it is a good replacement for God.
(b) He thinks it's nothing compared to unnatural selection.
(c) He thinks it needs more research.
(d) He thinks it can never replace God.
3. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
(b) Staff writer.
4. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
5. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They shied away from the complex rules.
(b) They blended them with American manners.
(c) They rose in rebellion against them.
(d) They fit in perfectly.
6. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
(a) He learned how to balance a budget.
(b) He learned how to move in society.
(c) He learned to not care about England.
(d) He learned the importance of science.
7. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
(a) Legal Tender.
(b) Term Limits.
(c) Gold Standard.
(d) Frank Waller.
8. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
(b) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(c) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
(d) C.F. Adams' logic.
9. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(b) A Senate seat.
(c) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
10. What new age does Henry Adams find when he returns to the United States in "The Press"?
(a) An age governed by God.
(b) An age of chaos.
(c) An age powered by steam and coal.
(d) An age ruled by scientific reason.
11. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Slow-witted but well meaning.
(b) Well-educated but dull.
(c) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
(d) Worldly and experienced.
12. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
(a) The masses of poor people.
(b) The forest.
(c) The typewriter.
(d) The railroad.
13. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) In Lord Russell's office.
(b) At a reception held by Milnes.
(c) At the local pub.
(d) Only in the United States.
14. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
(a) Russia and Germany.
(b) Germany and France.
(c) Italy and France.
(d) The United States and Japan.
15. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
2. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
3. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
4. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
5. Why does Henry Adams return to London in "Chaos"?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)