|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
(a) Hands-on activities.
(b) Nothing but reading.
(c) There is no university in Berlin.
(d) Endless lectures.
2. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
(a) Henry Adams.
(b) Napoleon III.
(c) C.F. Adams.
(d) Lord Russell.
3. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
(a) They earned titles in England.
(b) They were given money as a reward.
(c) They were granted a higher social position.
(d) They were kicked out of social clubs.
4. In "Political Morality", what position is Henry Adams almost promoted to?
(a) Head of the Legation.
(b) Speaker of the Legation.
(c) Associate Secretary.
(d) Assistant Secretary.
5. What does Henry Adams begin to collect in "Dilettamtism"?
(c) Ancient artifacts.
6. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
(a) Frank Waller.
(b) Gold Standard.
(c) Legal Tender.
(d) Term Limits.
7. What position does Lincoln give Charles Francis Adams?
(a) Supreme Court Justice.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Minister to England.
(d) Personal assistant.
8. Who does Henry Adams write a few articles for?
(a) Italian Monthly.
(b) Washington Post.
(c) North American Review.
(d) British Isles Review.
9. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
(a) Washington Review.
(b) Edinburgh Review.
(c) Mid-American Review.
(d) North American Review.
10. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
(a) The press.
(b) The law.
(d) Trade work.
11. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
(b) His Harvard education.
12. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
(a) He focuses too much on society and forgets about his education.
(b) His interactions convince them to side with him.
(c) He is too afraid to interact with them.
(d) His interactions are unsuccessful.
13. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Slow-witted but well meaning.
(b) Well-educated but dull.
(c) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
(d) Worldly and experienced.
14. During Chapter 2, "Boston", what plays the biggest role in Henry Adams' education?
(a) His father.
(b) Anti-slavery groups.
(c) The church.
(d) Yale University.
15. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(d) Forward thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Henry Adams decide to join the Army?
2. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
3. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
4. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
5. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)