|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
(b) Well-educated but dull.
(c) Worldly and experienced.
(d) Slow-witted but well meaning.
2. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
(a) The United States and Japan.
(b) Germany and France.
(c) Italy and France.
(d) Russia and Germany.
3. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
(b) Charles Sumner.
(c) John Hay.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
4. Why were Confederate cruisers able to escape British waters?
(a) Because C.F. Adams made a mistake.
(b) Because Lord Russell told them to.
(c) Because C.F. Adams distracted the guards.
(d) Because Lord Russell delayed action.
5. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
(a) Six months.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
6. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
(a) Henry Adams.
(b) Lord Russell.
(c) Napoleon III.
(d) C.F. Adams.
7. According to Henry Adams in Chapter 12, who seems to be eccentric?
(a) Nearly everyone in England.
(b) His new group of artist friends.
(c) The Lords and Ladies.
(d) The Confederates.
8. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
(a) That it is left alone.
(b) That they should release more.
(c) That is should be restrained.
(d) That it should be green.
9. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
(a) Everyone seems confused.
(b) Everyone seems to be anti-slavery.
(c) Everyone seems ignorant.
(d) Everyone seems changed.
10. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
(a) Resident Advisor.
(b) Dean of Admissions.
(c) Class Orator.
(d) Class President.
11. Who is the English Foreign Secretary?
(a) Charles Adams.
(b) Lord Palmerston.
(c) Lord Russell.
(d) Lord Cambridge.
12. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
(a) They are against the Union.
(b) They are in favor of the Union.
(c) They have no public opinion.
(d) They say they will form an alliance with whoever wins.
13. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
(a) They publish it reluctantly.
(b) They say they'll print it in four months.
(c) They reject it.
(d) They put it on the cover.
14. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
(a) He learned how to move in society.
(b) He learned the importance of science.
(c) He learned to not care about England.
(d) He learned how to balance a budget.
15. How are foreigners treated in English society?
(a) They are welcomed.
(b) They are snubbed.
(c) They are examined closely.
(d) They are tested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people hope Grant will do as president of the United States?
2. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
3. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
4. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
5. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)