|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
(a) That they should release more.
(b) That is should be restrained.
(c) That it is left alone.
(d) That it should be green.
2. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
(a) The railroad.
(b) The forest.
(c) The typewriter.
(d) The masses of poor people.
3. In "Boston", why did Henry Adams say he hates school?
(a) Because they were lying to him.
(b) Because he had to read alone.
(c) Because he had to do partner work.
(d) Because he had to learn by rote.
4. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To down play his power in the war.
(b) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(c) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(d) To prove that he is neutral.
5. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
(a) Jay Gould.
(b) President Grant.
6. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
(a) Henry Adams.
(b) C.F. Adams.
(c) Lord Russell.
(d) Napoleon III.
7. In Chapter 10, who said: "The world can absorb only doses of truth. Too much would kill it"?
(a) Thurlow Weed.
(b) William M. Evarts.
(c) Henry Adams.
(d) Lord Russell.
8. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) In Lord Russell's office.
(b) Only in the United States.
(c) At the local pub.
(d) At a reception held by Milnes.
9. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
(a) His brother, Brooks.
(b) North American Review.
(c) The Treasury.
(d) State Department.
10. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
(a) They have free tuition.
(b) Good education.
(c) Their fathers went there.
(d) Social connections.
11. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) The best preparation.
(c) A period of bonding.
(d) Very boring.
12. Who is the English Foreign Secretary?
(a) Lord Russell.
(b) Charles Adams.
(c) Lord Palmerston.
(d) Lord Cambridge.
13. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Gets a job in Germany.
(b) Works alone using a book.
(c) Hires a tutor.
(d) Registers at a high school.
14. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
(a) It's like children running the government.
(b) It's like frogs that wandered into a pub.
(c) It's like a maggot in cheese.
(d) It's like loose dogs in the street.
15. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
(a) He sees no point in it.
(b) He says there are too many rules.
(c) He thinks it is classier than American society.
(d) He worships it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
2. What do people hope Grant will do as president of the United States?
3. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
4. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
5. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)