|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
2. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
(a) Johnson declares war.
(b) Lincoln is assassinated.
(c) England is invaded.
(d) The Legation ends.
3. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
(a) Hands-on activities.
(b) Nothing but reading.
(c) There is no university in Berlin.
(d) Endless lectures.
4. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
(b) C.F. Adams.
5. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) John Adams.
(c) John Quincey Adams.
(d) George Washington.
6. At the end of "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams conclude about eccentricity?
(a) That it is strength.
(b) That it is weakness.
(c) That it is all a lie.
(d) That it is a joke.
7. Who does Henry Adams write a few articles for?
(a) North American Review.
(b) Washington Post.
(c) Italian Monthly.
(d) British Isles Review.
8. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
9. When does Henry Adams decide to join the Army?
(a) After Brooks talks him into it.
(b) After the second battle of Bull Run.
(c) After the first battle of Bull Run.
(d) After the Civil War ends.
10. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
(a) Edinburgh Review.
(b) Mid-American Review.
(c) Washington Review.
(d) North American Review.
11. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A young, private secretary.
(c) An old newspaper reporter.
(d) A new congressman.
12. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
(a) Germany and France.
(b) Russia and Germany.
(c) The United States and Japan.
(d) Italy and France.
13. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) Forward thinking.
14. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
(a) The typewriter.
(b) The railroad.
(c) The forest.
(d) The masses of poor people.
15. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
(a) Dusty and slow.
(b) Ragged and poor.
(c) Rich and glitzy.
(d) Sunny and calm.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
2. Who is the English Foreign Secretary?
3. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
4. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
5. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)