|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Henry Adams decide to join the Army?
(a) After the second battle of Bull Run.
(b) After Brooks talks him into it.
(c) After the Civil War ends.
(d) After the first battle of Bull Run.
2. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
(a) Very boring.
(b) The best preparation.
(c) A period of bonding.
(d) A waste of time.
3. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
(a) A goat.
(b) A homeless man.
(c) A star.
(d) A caveman.
4. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They blended them with American manners.
(b) They shied away from the complex rules.
(c) They fit in perfectly.
(d) They rose in rebellion against them.
5. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
(a) The Treasury.
(b) State Department.
(c) His brother, Brooks.
(d) North American Review.
6. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
(a) They have free tuition.
(b) Their fathers went there.
(c) Good education.
(d) Social connections.
7. Where does Henry Adams live in "President Grant"?
(a) A hotel room.
(b) A boarding house.
(c) With his father.
(d) At the White House.
8. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
(a) They have no public opinion.
(b) They are against the Union.
(c) They are in favor of the Union.
(d) They say they will form an alliance with whoever wins.
9. Why were Confederate cruisers able to escape British waters?
(a) Because C.F. Adams distracted the guards.
(b) Because C.F. Adams made a mistake.
(c) Because Lord Russell delayed action.
(d) Because Lord Russell told them to.
10. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
(a) Move into the South.
(b) Deal making and compromises.
(c) Bribing people and secrets.
(d) Get enough votes in the primary.
11. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
(a) They were kicked out of social clubs.
(b) They earned titles in England.
(c) They were granted a higher social position.
(d) They were given money as a reward.
12. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
(a) Time spent in Paris.
(b) The habits of the English.
(c) Knowing how to properly bribe.
(d) Knowledge of human nature.
13. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(b) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(c) To down play his power in the war.
(d) To prove that he is neutral.
14. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
(c) A dog.
(d) The British.
15. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
Short Answer Questions
1. During Chapter 2, "Boston", what plays the biggest role in Henry Adams' education?
2. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
3. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
4. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
5. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)