|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
2. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
(a) Abolitionist Party.
(b) Free Soil Party.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Bostonian Party.
3. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
4. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
5. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
(a) Get enough votes in the primary.
(b) Deal making and compromises.
(c) Move into the South.
(d) Bribing people and secrets.
6. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) C.F. Adams' logic.
(b) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
(c) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(d) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
7. Who does Henry Adams write a few articles for?
(a) British Isles Review.
(b) Italian Monthly.
(c) North American Review.
(d) Washington Post.
8. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
(a) That it is left alone.
(b) That is should be restrained.
(c) That it should be green.
(d) That they should release more.
9. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
10. What seems to represent the future of the United States in "The Press"?
(a) The railroad.
(b) The masses of poor people.
(c) The typewriter.
(d) The forest.
11. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) Forward thinking.
12. Who was NOT related to Henry Adams?
(a) Francis Adams.
(b) John Adams.
(c) John Quincy Adams.
(d) Samuel Adams.
13. Where does Henry Adams go to find work in "The Press"?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York City.
14. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) A military battle.
(b) A silent battle.
(c) The only battle.
(d) A diplomatic battle.
15. During Chapter 2, "Boston", what plays the biggest role in Henry Adams' education?
(a) Yale University.
(b) The church.
(c) Anti-slavery groups.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
2. What position does Lincoln give Charles Francis Adams?
3. Who is the English Foreign Secretary?
4. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
5. Who else is involved in Henry Adams' journalistic investigation of the Gould scandal?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)