|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
(a) Harvard Weekly.
(b) North American Review.
(c) Wall Street Journal.
(d) Darwin Times.
2. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
(a) That it is left alone.
(b) That is should be restrained.
(c) That they should release more.
(d) That it should be green.
3. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
(a) Nothing but reading.
(b) Endless lectures.
(c) Hands-on activities.
(d) There is no university in Berlin.
4. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
(a) They are in favor of the Union.
(b) They say they will form an alliance with whoever wins.
(c) They are against the Union.
(d) They have no public opinion.
5. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
(b) Worldly and experienced.
(c) Slow-witted but well meaning.
(d) Well-educated but dull.
6. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
(a) It is lost in the mail.
(b) It is read by his father instead.
(c) It is turned into anti-war propaganda.
(d) It is printed by a paper and satarized.
7. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
(b) His Harvard education.
8. Who was NOT related to Henry Adams?
(a) John Adams.
(b) John Quincy Adams.
(c) Francis Adams.
(d) Samuel Adams.
9. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) John Hay.
(d) Charles Sumner.
10. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) A silent battle.
(b) A diplomatic battle.
(c) A military battle.
(d) The only battle.
11. Who else is involved in Henry Adams' journalistic investigation of the Gould scandal?
(a) Frank Waller.
(b) Henry Boutwell.
(c) C.F. Adams.
(d) Brooks Adams.
12. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They blended them with American manners.
(b) They rose in rebellion against them.
(c) They shied away from the complex rules.
(d) They fit in perfectly.
13. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
(d) C.F. Adams.
14. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
(a) How trustworthy he really was.
(b) His many mistresses.
(c) His attempts to get the South back into the Union.
(d) His ferver for trying to break up the United States.
15. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(b) A Senate seat.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
2. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
3. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
4. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
5. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)