|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
(a) North American Review.
(b) Mid-American Review.
(c) Edinburgh Review.
(d) Washington Review.
2. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
(a) Free Soil Party.
(b) Abolitionist Party.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Bostonian Party.
3. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
(a) Napoleon III.
(b) Lord Russell.
(c) C.F. Adams.
(d) Henry Adams.
4. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
(a) They say they'll print it in four months.
(b) They publish it reluctantly.
(c) They reject it.
(d) They put it on the cover.
5. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
6. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
(a) His brother, Brooks.
(b) State Department.
(c) North American Review.
(d) The Treasury.
7. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
(a) With a long speech.
(b) With money.
(c) With a note.
(d) With blackmail.
8. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
(a) He thinks it can never replace God.
(b) He thinks it's nothing compared to unnatural selection.
(c) He thinks it needs more research.
(d) He thinks it is a good replacement for God.
9. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
(a) Darwin Times.
(b) Wall Street Journal.
(c) Harvard Weekly.
(d) North American Review.
10. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
(a) Russia and Italy.
(b) Italy and Germany.
(c) Germany and Ireland.
(d) France and Germany.
11. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
(a) He learned how to move in society.
(b) He learned how to balance a budget.
(c) He learned the importance of science.
(d) He learned to not care about England.
12. When does Henry Adams decide to join the Army?
(a) After the second battle of Bull Run.
(b) After Brooks talks him into it.
(c) After the first battle of Bull Run.
(d) After the Civil War ends.
13. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) A Senate seat.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
(d) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
14. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
(a) American eccentrics.
(b) Members of Parliament.
(c) No one.
(d) The political eccentrics.
15. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
(a) That they are too educated.
(b) That they are elite.
(c) That they are uneducated.
(d) That they are dishonest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the English Foreign Secretary?
2. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
3. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
4. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
5. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)