|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) C.F. Adams' logic.
(b) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
(c) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(d) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
2. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) A Senate seat.
(c) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(d) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
3. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
4. Who does Henry Adams write a few articles for?
(a) North American Review.
(b) British Isles Review.
(c) Italian Monthly.
(d) Washington Post.
5. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
(a) It's like children running the government.
(b) It's like frogs that wandered into a pub.
(c) It's like loose dogs in the street.
(d) It's like a maggot in cheese.
6. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
(a) It is turned into anti-war propaganda.
(b) It is printed by a paper and satarized.
(c) It is lost in the mail.
(d) It is read by his father instead.
7. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To prove that he is neutral.
(b) To down play his power in the war.
(c) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(d) To stall until the rams can be completed.
8. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
(d) Staff writer.
9. Who publishes Henry Adams' finished piece on the Gould scandal?
(a) English Monthly.
(b) New York Times.
(c) North American Review.
(d) Edinburgh Review.
10. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Gets a job in Germany.
(b) Hires a tutor.
(c) Works alone using a book.
(d) Registers at a high school.
11. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) Forward thinking.
12. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
(a) President Grant.
(c) Jay Gould.
13. What is Sumner trying to accomplish in regards to foreign policy in "Free Fight"?
(a) To purchase the Virgin Islands.
(b) To start trade with Britain.
(c) To have control of Mexico.
(d) To have control of Canada.
14. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
(a) Rich and glitzy.
(b) Sunny and calm.
(c) Dusty and slow.
(d) Ragged and poor.
15. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
(d) Russell, Inc.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
2. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
3. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
4. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
5. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)