|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(c) Forward thinking.
2. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
(a) The United States and Japan.
(b) Italy and France.
(c) Russia and Germany.
(d) Germany and France.
3. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A young, private secretary.
(b) An old newspaper reporter.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A new congressman.
4. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
(a) Free Soil Party.
(b) Bostonian Party.
(c) Abolitionist Party.
(d) Republican Party.
5. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
(a) They were granted a higher social position.
(b) They were kicked out of social clubs.
(c) They were given money as a reward.
(d) They earned titles in England.
6. Where does Henry Adams go to find work in "The Press"?
(b) New York City.
(c) Washington, D.C.
7. What part of Lyell's principles does Henry Adam's get stuck on in "Darwinism"?
(a) Backwards evolution.
(b) Uniform evolution.
(c) Mutation Theory.
(d) Glacier Theory.
8. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) In Lord Russell's office.
(b) At the local pub.
(c) Only in the United States.
(d) At a reception held by Milnes.
9. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He returned them.
(b) He dreaded them.
(c) He looked forward to them.
(d) He saved them.
10. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
(a) The best preparation.
(b) A period of bonding.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) Very boring.
11. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Six months.
(d) Six weeks.
12. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
(a) Napoleon III.
(b) C.F. Adams.
(c) Henry Adams.
(d) Lord Russell.
13. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
(c) Staff writer.
14. Who publishes Henry Adams' finished piece on the Gould scandal?
(a) English Monthly.
(b) North American Review.
(c) New York Times.
(d) Edinburgh Review.
15. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) A diplomatic battle.
(b) A silent battle.
(c) The only battle.
(d) A military battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
2. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
3. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
4. What does Henry Adams begin to collect in "Dilettamtism"?
5. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)