|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They fit in perfectly.
(b) They blended them with American manners.
(c) They shied away from the complex rules.
(d) They rose in rebellion against them.
2. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
(a) He worships it.
(b) He thinks it is classier than American society.
(c) He says there are too many rules.
(d) He sees no point in it.
3. Where does Henry Adams live in "President Grant"?
(a) At the White House.
(b) A hotel room.
(c) A boarding house.
(d) With his father.
4. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
(a) That they should release more.
(b) That is should be restrained.
(c) That it should be green.
(d) That it is left alone.
5. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
6. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
(a) They are against the Union.
(b) They are in favor of the Union.
(c) They have no public opinion.
(d) They say they will form an alliance with whoever wins.
7. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
(a) Germany and Ireland.
(b) France and Germany.
(c) Italy and Germany.
(d) Russia and Italy.
8. Who publishes Henry Adams' finished piece on the Gould scandal?
(a) English Monthly.
(b) Edinburgh Review.
(c) New York Times.
(d) North American Review.
9. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Worldly and experienced.
(b) Slow-witted but well meaning.
(c) Well-educated but dull.
(d) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
10. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
(a) Because of his time spent in diplomacy.
(b) Because he does not respect the law.
(c) Because his grandfather was a bad lawyer.
(d) Because of his lack of knowledge of law.
11. What do people hope Grant will do as president of the United States?
(a) Reform the government.
(b) Improve the infrastructure.
(c) Give money to the poor.
(d) Lower taxes.
12. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) Forward thinking.
13. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
(a) Republican Party.
(b) Bostonian Party.
(c) Abolitionist Party.
(d) Free Soil Party.
14. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) Only in the United States.
(b) In Lord Russell's office.
(c) At the local pub.
(d) At a reception held by Milnes.
15. Who else is involved in Henry Adams' journalistic investigation of the Gould scandal?
(a) C.F. Adams.
(b) Brooks Adams.
(c) Frank Waller.
(d) Henry Boutwell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
2. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
3. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
4. What is Sumner trying to accomplish in regards to foreign policy in "Free Fight"?
5. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)