|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
(a) Frank Waller.
(b) Gold Standard.
(c) Legal Tender.
(d) Term Limits.
2. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
(a) Members of Parliament.
(b) The political eccentrics.
(c) No one.
(d) American eccentrics.
3. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
(a) It's like children running the government.
(b) It's like a maggot in cheese.
(c) It's like loose dogs in the street.
(d) It's like frogs that wandered into a pub.
4. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
(a) Everyone seems confused.
(b) Everyone seems ignorant.
(c) Everyone seems to be anti-slavery.
(d) Everyone seems changed.
5. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
(a) One month.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
6. After Henry Adams meets President Grant, what does he compare the president to?
(a) A caveman.
(b) A homeless man.
(c) A goat.
(d) A star.
7. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
(a) The problem of Legal Tender.
(b) The problem of Foreign Press.
(c) The problem of the Stock Market.
(d) The problem of Investor Relations.
8. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A new congressman.
(b) A teacher.
(c) An old newspaper reporter.
(d) A young, private secretary.
9. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
(a) Germany and France.
(b) Italy and France.
(c) Russia and Germany.
(d) The United States and Japan.
10. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
(a) Edinburgh Review.
(b) North American Review.
(c) Washington Review.
(d) Mid-American Review.
11. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They rose in rebellion against them.
(b) They blended them with American manners.
(c) They fit in perfectly.
(d) They shied away from the complex rules.
12. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
(a) Hands-on activities.
(b) Nothing but reading.
(c) Endless lectures.
(d) There is no university in Berlin.
13. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
(a) Free Soil Party.
(b) Bostonian Party.
(c) Abolitionist Party.
(d) Republican Party.
14. What is revealed after Russell passes away?
(a) How trustworthy he really was.
(b) His attempts to get the South back into the Union.
(c) His ferver for trying to break up the United States.
(d) His many mistresses.
15. Why were Confederate cruisers able to escape British waters?
(a) Because Lord Russell told them to.
(b) Because C.F. Adams distracted the guards.
(c) Because Lord Russell delayed action.
(d) Because C.F. Adams made a mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
2. At the end of "Chaos", what will Henry Adams position at North American Review be?
3. Why does the president of Harvard write Henry Adams a letter?
4. Who else is involved in Henry Adams' journalistic investigation of the Gould scandal?
5. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)