|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
(b) C.F. Adams' logic.
(c) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(d) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
2. In "Chaos", what countries go to war?
(a) Italy and Germany.
(b) Germany and Ireland.
(c) Russia and Italy.
(d) France and Germany.
3. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
(a) Their fathers went there.
(b) Social connections.
(c) They have free tuition.
(d) Good education.
4. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) John Adams.
(c) John Quincey Adams.
(d) George Washington.
5. In "Free Fight", why did the Executive Branch attack the Supreme Court?
(a) Gold Standard.
(b) Term Limits.
(c) Frank Waller.
(d) Legal Tender.
6. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
(a) Hands-on activities.
(b) There is no university in Berlin.
(c) Endless lectures.
(d) Nothing but reading.
7. During Chapter 2, "Boston", what plays the biggest role in Henry Adams' education?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Anti-slavery groups.
(c) The church.
(d) His father.
8. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
(a) Because of his time spent in diplomacy.
(b) Because of his lack of knowledge of law.
(c) Because he does not respect the law.
(d) Because his grandfather was a bad lawyer.
9. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(a) A dog.
(b) Scarlet Fever.
(c) The British.
10. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) An old newspaper reporter.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A young, private secretary.
(d) A new congressman.
11. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
(a) They publish it reluctantly.
(b) They put it on the cover.
(c) They say they'll print it in four months.
(d) They reject it.
12. What political party does Henry Adams' father found?
(a) Free Soil Party.
(b) Bostonian Party.
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Abolitionist Party.
13. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
14. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
(a) North American Review.
(b) State Department.
(c) The Treasury.
(d) His brother, Brooks.
15. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
(a) Move into the South.
(b) Get enough votes in the primary.
(c) Bribing people and secrets.
(d) Deal making and compromises.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sumner trying to accomplish in regards to foreign policy in "Free Fight"?
2. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
3. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
4. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
5. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)