|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did William Gladstone try to include in his support of the South?
(a) C.F. Adams.
(b) Henry Adams.
(c) Napoleon III.
(d) Lord Russell.
2. In "Political Morality", what position is Henry Adams almost promoted to?
(a) Head of the Legation.
(b) Speaker of the Legation.
(c) Assistant Secretary.
(d) Associate Secretary.
3. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
(c) Jay Gould.
(d) President Grant.
4. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Gets a job in Germany.
(b) Hires a tutor.
(c) Works alone using a book.
(d) Registers at a high school.
5. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
(a) They were given money as a reward.
(b) They were kicked out of social clubs.
(c) They earned titles in England.
(d) They were granted a higher social position.
6. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
(a) Six months.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
7. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
(a) That they are elite.
(b) That they are too educated.
(c) That they are dishonest.
(d) That they are uneducated.
8. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
(b) C.F. Adams.
9. What position does Lincoln give Charles Francis Adams?
(a) Supreme Court Justice.
(b) Minister to England.
(c) Personal assistant.
(d) Secretary of State.
10. Who publishes Henry Adams' articles on U.S. finance in "Darwinism"?
(a) Darwin Times.
(b) Wall Street Journal.
(c) Harvard Weekly.
(d) North American Review.
11. What is Henry Adams plan called "Sessions"?
(a) A series of how-to articles.
(b) A series of interviews with politicians.
(c) A series of short stories based on English society.
(d) A series of articles about politics.
12. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
(b) His Harvard education.
13. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) A diplomatic battle.
(b) A military battle.
(c) A silent battle.
(d) The only battle.
14. Where do Henry Adams and his sister travel as soon as the armistice is declared?
15. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
(a) Worldly and experienced.
(b) Slow-witted but well meaning.
(c) Narrow-minded and inflexible.
(d) Well-educated but dull.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry Adams begins his work in finance in "Darwinism", what does he suggest happen with U.S. currency?
2. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
3. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
4. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
5. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)