|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
(a) They have free tuition.
(b) Social connections.
(c) Good education.
(d) Their fathers went there.
2. What new age does Henry Adams find when he returns to the United States in "The Press"?
(a) An age powered by steam and coal.
(b) An age of chaos.
(c) An age ruled by scientific reason.
(d) An age governed by God.
3. After Henry Adams moves to Dresden, which two countries start a war?
(a) Italy and France.
(b) The United States and Japan.
(c) Russia and Germany.
(d) Germany and France.
4. Who does Henry Adams re-meet in Washington in "The Press"?
5. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) Very boring.
(c) A period of bonding.
(d) The best preparation.
6. In "President Grant", what paper does Henry Adams write finance articles for in an attempt to get on staff?
(a) Mid-American Review.
(b) Edinburgh Review.
(c) Washington Review.
(d) North American Review.
7. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
(d) Russell, Inc.
8. How are foreigners treated in English society?
(a) They are snubbed.
(b) They are welcomed.
(c) They are tested.
(d) They are examined closely.
9. How long did the Adams go to Italy for?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six months.
10. What is Sumner trying to accomplish in regards to foreign policy in "Free Fight"?
(a) To have control of Canada.
(b) To have control of Mexico.
(c) To start trade with Britain.
(d) To purchase the Virgin Islands.
11. What is Henry Adams plan called "Sessions"?
(a) A series of how-to articles.
(b) A series of articles about politics.
(c) A series of interviews with politicians.
(d) A series of short stories based on English society.
12. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
(a) North American Review.
(b) His brother, Brooks.
(c) The Treasury.
(d) State Department.
13. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
(b) The British.
(d) A dog.
14. After volunteering to present Lyell's principles to people in the United States, how does Henry Adams come to feel about Darwinsim?
15. According to Henry Adams in Chapter 12, who seems to be eccentric?
(a) His new group of artist friends.
(b) The Lords and Ladies.
(c) The Confederates.
(d) Nearly everyone in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
2. Who did the Lairds choose to represent them?
3. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
4. When Henry Adams returns to Boston in "Free Fight", what part of the scandal does he choose to write about?
5. What does Henry Adams feel correlates with the winter?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)