|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
(a) With a long speech.
(b) With a note.
(c) With money.
(d) With blackmail.
2. Near the end of Chapter 5, "Berlin", what does Henry Adams suddenly starts to understand?
(d) His Harvard education.
3. How are foreigners treated in English society?
(a) They are tested.
(b) They are examined closely.
(c) They are snubbed.
(d) They are welcomed.
4. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
(a) The problem of Foreign Press.
(b) The problem of Legal Tender.
(c) The problem of Investor Relations.
(d) The problem of the Stock Market.
5. What part of Lyell's principles does Henry Adam's get stuck on in "Darwinism"?
(a) Backwards evolution.
(b) Uniform evolution.
(c) Glacier Theory.
(d) Mutation Theory.
6. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They rose in rebellion against them.
(b) They blended them with American manners.
(c) They fit in perfectly.
(d) They shied away from the complex rules.
7. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
8. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
(d) A Senate seat.
9. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
(a) He learned how to balance a budget.
(b) He learned the importance of science.
(c) He learned how to move in society.
(d) He learned to not care about England.
10. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
(a) They were full of errors.
(b) They were never printed.
(c) They were ridiculed.
(d) They were successful.
11. What is Henry Adams plan called "Sessions"?
(a) A series of how-to articles.
(b) A series of interviews with politicians.
(c) A series of short stories based on English society.
(d) A series of articles about politics.
12. According to Henry Adams in Chapter 12, who seems to be eccentric?
(a) Nearly everyone in England.
(b) His new group of artist friends.
(c) The Confederates.
(d) The Lords and Ladies.
13. In "Boston", why did Henry Adams say he hates school?
(a) Because he had to read alone.
(b) Because he had to learn by rote.
(c) Because they were lying to him.
(d) Because he had to do partner work.
14. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
(a) Their fathers went there.
(b) They have free tuition.
(c) Social connections.
(d) Good education.
15. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
(a) Class President.
(b) Dean of Admissions.
(c) Class Orator.
(d) Resident Advisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Trying to stop the English constructed rams is called what type of battle in "The Battle of the Rams"?
2. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
3. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
4. How does Henry Adams feel about natural selection?
5. What does Henry Adams begin to think about all politicians in "Political Morality"?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)