|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Henry Adams write a few articles for?
(a) Washington Post.
(b) British Isles Review.
(c) North American Review.
(d) Italian Monthly.
2. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
(a) It is printed by a paper and satarized.
(b) It is read by his father instead.
(c) It is lost in the mail.
(d) It is turned into anti-war propaganda.
3. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
(b) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(c) C.F. Adams' logic.
(d) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
4. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
(a) They have no public opinion.
(b) They say they will form an alliance with whoever wins.
(c) They are against the Union.
(d) They are in favor of the Union.
5. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
(a) They say they'll print it in four months.
(b) They publish it reluctantly.
(c) They put it on the cover.
(d) They reject it.
6. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
(c) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(d) A Senate seat.
7. Where does Henry Adams live in "President Grant"?
(a) A hotel room.
(b) A boarding house.
(c) At the White House.
(d) With his father.
8. Why does the president of Harvard write Henry Adams a letter?
(a) To ask him to give a speach.
(b) To ask him to teach.
(c) To ask him for a donation.
(d) To ask him to get a law degree.
9. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
(a) They were granted a higher social position.
(b) They were kicked out of social clubs.
(c) They earned titles in England.
(d) They were given money as a reward.
10. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To down play his power in the war.
(b) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(c) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(d) To prove that he is neutral.
11. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
(a) Everyone seems confused.
(b) Everyone seems ignorant.
(c) Everyone seems changed.
(d) Everyone seems to be anti-slavery.
12. Who publishes Henry Adams' finished piece on the Gould scandal?
(a) New York Times.
(b) Edinburgh Review.
(c) English Monthly.
(d) North American Review.
13. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
(a) Nothing but reading.
(b) Hands-on activities.
(c) There is no university in Berlin.
(d) Endless lectures.
14. What almost killed Henry Adams when he was eight?
(b) A dog.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
(d) The British.
15. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Hires a tutor.
(b) Gets a job in Germany.
(c) Works alone using a book.
(d) Registers at a high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
2. What happens during the Adams' trip to Italy?
3. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
4. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
5. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)