|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 A Law of Acceleration (1904).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hay's work as Secretary of State remind Henry Adams?
2. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
(a) Poor and difficult.
(b) Boring and slow.
(c) Hard to apply and worthless.
(d) Faulty and ill constructed.
3. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They fit in perfectly.
(b) They blended them with American manners.
(c) They shied away from the complex rules.
(d) They rose in rebellion against them.
4. What is the diplomatic crisis in "Vis Inertiae"?
(a) War with France.
(b) Travel to Germany.
(c) Access to China.
(d) Trade with Russia.
5. What does Henry Adams compare the passing of centuries to in "Vis Nova"?
(a) Flowers wilting.
(b) Snow falling.
(c) Autumn leaves dropping.
(d) The tide rising and falling.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hay primarily use his power as Secretary of State?
2. In Henry Adams' dynamic theory of history, what is accomplished?
3. In Chapter 10, who said: "The world can absorb only doses of truth. Too much would kill it"?
4. In "Indian Summer", who is chosen to be Secretary of State?
5. In "A Law of Acceleration", what does Henry Adams say historians now ask to be?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)