|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 President Grant (1869).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He dreaded them.
(b) He looked forward to them.
(c) He returned them.
(d) He saved them.
2. What do people hope Grant will do as president of the United States?
(a) Improve the infrastructure.
(b) Reform the government.
(c) Give money to the poor.
(d) Lower taxes.
3. In "Darwinism", how does Henry Adams describe the impact of seven years in England on his education?
(a) He learned how to balance a budget.
(b) He learned the importance of science.
(c) He learned to not care about England.
(d) He learned how to move in society.
4. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(b) To down play his power in the war.
(c) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(d) To prove that he is neutral.
5. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
(a) They have free tuition.
(b) Good education.
(c) Their fathers went there.
(d) Social connections.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
2. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
3. Who was NOT related to Henry Adams?
4. In "Boston", why did Henry Adams say he hates school?
5. In "President Grant", what former president do people compare Grant to?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)