|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 President Grant (1869).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was NOT related to Henry Adams?
(a) Francis Adams.
(b) John Adams.
(c) John Quincy Adams.
(d) Samuel Adams.
2. Where does Henry Adams live in "President Grant"?
(a) At the White House.
(b) With his father.
(c) A hotel room.
(d) A boarding house.
3. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To down play his power in the war.
(b) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(c) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(d) To prove that he is neutral.
4. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) A Senate seat.
(d) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
5. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He returned them.
(b) He dreaded them.
(c) He saved them.
(d) He looked forward to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who said: "The world can absorb only doses of truth. Too much would kill it"?
2. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
3. How does Henry Adams describe the bankers he works with in "The Press"?
4. What new age does Henry Adams find when he returns to the United States in "The Press"?
5. What problem does Henry Adams try to solve with Everts?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)