|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15 Darwinism (1867-1868).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
(a) Their fathers went there.
(b) Social connections.
(c) Good education.
(d) They have free tuition.
2. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(c) A Senate seat.
(d) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
3. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
(b) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
(c) C.F. Adams' logic.
(d) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
4. Why were Confederate cruisers able to escape British waters?
(a) Because C.F. Adams made a mistake.
(b) Because Lord Russell delayed action.
(c) Because Lord Russell told them to.
(d) Because C.F. Adams distracted the guards.
5. What does Henry Adams feel correlates with the winter?
(b) Leaving home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are foreigners treated in English society?
2. Who is the English Foreign Secretary?
3. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
4. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
5. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)