|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 Foes and Friends (1862).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
(a) With his newspaper articles.
(b) With his political ties.
(c) With his poetry and conversation.
(d) With his haphazard way of dressing.
2. During Chapter 2, "Boston", what plays the biggest role in Henry Adams' education?
(a) Anti-slavery groups.
(b) The church.
(c) Yale University.
(d) His father.
3. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(d) A Senate seat.
4. When does Henry Adams decide to join the Army?
(a) After the first battle of Bull Run.
(b) After the Civil War ends.
(c) After the second battle of Bull Run.
(d) After Brooks talks him into it.
5. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
(a) His interactions are unsuccessful.
(b) His interactions convince them to side with him.
(c) He is too afraid to interact with them.
(d) He focuses too much on society and forgets about his education.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Boston", why did Henry Adams say he hates school?
2. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
3. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
4. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
5. In "Treason", who does Henry Adams say needs an education?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)