|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 Foes and Friends (1862).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
(a) It is lost in the mail.
(b) It is read by his father instead.
(c) It is turned into anti-war propaganda.
(d) It is printed by a paper and satarized.
2. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
(a) With blackmail.
(b) With money.
(c) With a long speech.
(d) With a note.
3. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A new congressman.
(b) A young, private secretary.
(c) An old newspaper reporter.
(d) A teacher.
4. What does Henry Adams do to learn German in "Berlin"?
(a) Registers at a high school.
(b) Gets a job in Germany.
(c) Works alone using a book.
(d) Hires a tutor.
5. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(b) A Senate seat.
(c) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
2. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
3. After spending time in Europe, what does Henry Adams decide to do with this part of his education?
4. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
5. What is Henry Adams' education like in Berlin?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)