|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 The Perfection of Human Society (1864).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Lincoln give Charles Francis Adams?
(a) Supreme Court Justice.
(b) Minister to England.
(c) Personal assistant.
(d) Secretary of State.
2. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
(a) They say they will form an alliance with whoever wins.
(b) They are against the Union.
(c) They have no public opinion.
(d) They are in favor of the Union.
3. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They rose in rebellion against them.
(b) They fit in perfectly.
(c) They shied away from the complex rules.
(d) They blended them with American manners.
4. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(b) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
(c) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
(d) C.F. Adams' logic.
5. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(b) Forward thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
2. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
3. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
4. In "Washington", how does Henry Adams describe the South?
5. What position does Henry Adams obtain at Harvard?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)