|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 The Perfection of Human Society (1864).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Free Soil Party get from the Democrats when a Democrat became governor of Massachusetts?
(a) A Senate seat.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) They got kicked out of Massachusetts.
(d) A position in the Massachusetts courts.
2. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
(a) Get enough votes in the primary.
(b) Bribing people and secrets.
(c) Deal making and compromises.
(d) Move into the South.
3. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
(a) Everyone seems changed.
(b) Everyone seems to be anti-slavery.
(c) Everyone seems ignorant.
(d) Everyone seems confused.
4. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
(b) C.F. Adams' logic.
(c) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(d) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
5. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
(a) They were granted a higher social position.
(b) They were given money as a reward.
(c) They earned titles in England.
(d) They were kicked out of social clubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
2. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
3. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
4. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
5. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)