|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 The Perfection of Human Society (1864).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They shied away from the complex rules.
(b) They fit in perfectly.
(c) They blended them with American manners.
(d) They rose in rebellion against them.
2. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
(a) It's like loose dogs in the street.
(b) It's like children running the government.
(c) It's like frogs that wandered into a pub.
(d) It's like a maggot in cheese.
3. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
(a) In Lord Russell's office.
(b) At the local pub.
(c) At a reception held by Milnes.
(d) Only in the United States.
4. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(b) Forward thinking.
5. How does Charles Swinbourne awe Henry Adams?
(a) With his newspaper articles.
(b) With his poetry and conversation.
(c) With his haphazard way of dressing.
(d) With his political ties.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
2. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
3. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
4. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
5. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)