|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 The Perfection of Human Society (1864).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They shied away from the complex rules.
(b) They rose in rebellion against them.
(c) They fit in perfectly.
(d) They blended them with American manners.
2. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(b) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(c) To down play his power in the war.
(d) To prove that he is neutral.
3. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He saved them.
(b) He looked forward to them.
(c) He dreaded them.
(d) He returned them.
4. In "Harvard", how does Henry Adams describe his years at Harvard?
(a) A period of bonding.
(b) The best preparation.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) Very boring.
5. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
(c) Russell, Inc.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
2. Where is Henry Adams celebrated in "The Battle of the Rams"?
3. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
4. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
5. How do the English feel about the Civil War?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)