|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 The Perfection of Human Society (1864).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John Hay when Henry Adams first meets him?
(a) A teacher.
(b) An old newspaper reporter.
(c) A new congressman.
(d) A young, private secretary.
2. After returning from Europe, how does Henry Adams see the people of Washington, DC?
(a) Everyone seems to be anti-slavery.
(b) Everyone seems ignorant.
(c) Everyone seems confused.
(d) Everyone seems changed.
3. In "The Battle of the Rams", how is C.F. Adams' relationship with Lord Russell described?
4. What did Henry Adams' father's political party have to do to gain power?
(a) Move into the South.
(b) Get enough votes in the primary.
(c) Deal making and compromises.
(d) Bribing people and secrets.
5. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
(b) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(c) C.F. Adams' logic.
(d) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Henry Adams and his friends attend Harvard?
2. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
3. In "The Perfection of Human Society", how does Henry Adams describe society that has no unity?
4. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
5. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)