|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 The Perfection of Human Society (1864).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did C.F. Adams' success in the Battle of the Rams impact his and Henry Adams' lives?
(a) They were granted a higher social position.
(b) They were kicked out of social clubs.
(c) They were given money as a reward.
(d) They earned titles in England.
2. What turned the Civil War in favor of the Union?
(a) Victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
(b) Convincing the English to sell them ironclad rams.
(c) Diplomatic victories in Canada.
(d) C.F. Adams' logic.
3. How did Henry Adams describe his response to invitations to formal dinners in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
(a) He returned them.
(b) He saved them.
(c) He looked forward to them.
(d) He dreaded them.
4. When does Henry Adams decide to join the Army?
(a) After the first battle of Bull Run.
(b) After the Civil War ends.
(c) After the second battle of Bull Run.
(d) After Brooks talks him into it.
5. What does Henry Adams say every American woman did when presented with English manners?
(a) They blended them with American manners.
(b) They fit in perfectly.
(c) They rose in rebellion against them.
(d) They shied away from the complex rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English company builds Ironclad rams?
2. How does Henry Adams describe English society in "The Perfection of Human Society"?
3. How does Henry Adams interact with the elite society in "Foes and Friends"?
4. How are foreigners treated in English society?
5. How does the English Prime Minister try to turn Parliament against the United States in "Foes and Friends"?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)