|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 Twenty Years After (1892).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry Adams call "the last refuge of the educated poor"?
(a) The law.
(b) The press.
(c) Trade work.
2. How does Henry Adams feel about his voyage on the Teutonic?
(a) He says he is suprised it floats.
(b) He says it is a technological marvel.
(c) He says it was too long.
(d) He says it was a sign of the past.
3. Why does Henry Adams feel that study of the Law is closed to him?
(a) Because of his lack of knowledge of law.
(b) Because his grandfather was a bad lawyer.
(c) Because he does not respect the law.
(d) Because of his time spent in diplomacy.
4. Who publishes Henry Adams' finished piece on the Gould scandal?
(a) Edinburgh Review.
(b) North American Review.
(c) New York Times.
(d) English Monthly.
5. In "The Battle of the Rams", why does Lord Russell often say he can not intervene?
(a) To stall until the rams can be completed.
(b) To down play his power in the war.
(c) To get C.F. Adams on his side.
(d) To prove that he is neutral.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Twenty Years After", when Henry Adams is ill in London, how does he describe his "old" education?
2. What happens to a letter Henry Adams wrote to his brother in "Diplomacy"?
3. What does Henry Adams have in common with his friend, Hay?
4. Who does Henry Adams turn to in his investigation in the Gould scandal?
5. How does Henry Adams feel about society in England?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)