|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 27 The Height of Knowledge (1902).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams say is the beginning and end of political education?
(a) Knowing how to properly bribe.
(b) Time spent in Paris.
(c) Knowledge of human nature.
(d) The habits of the English.
2. In "The Height of Knowledge", what happens to President McKinley?
(a) He is assassinated.
(b) He loses the election.
(c) He resigns.
(d) He is re-elected.
3. When Henry Adams returns to the United States in "Chaos", what does he discover about his articles?
(a) They were successful.
(b) They were ridiculed.
(c) They were never printed.
(d) They were full of errors.
4. Why does Henry Adams return to London in "Chaos"?
(a) He needed to escape Grant.
(b) Because he got a new job.
(c) To go back to college.
(d) To make sure his article was published.
5. At the end of "Eccentricity", what does Henry Adams conclude about eccentricity?
(a) That it is strength.
(b) That it is weakness.
(c) That it is all a lie.
(d) That it is a joke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hay's work as Secretary of State remind Henry Adams?
2. In "Eccentricity", how does Henry Adams describe Bright?
3. Who does Henry Adams say the social eccentrics sympathize with?
4. What does Edinburgh Review do with Henry Adams' article on the Jay Gould scandal?
5. Why does the president of Harvard write Henry Adams a letter?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)