|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
2. How does Little Tree's education and instincts about nature get him into trouble at the orphanage?
3. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
4. How does the reverend at the orphanage continue the prejudice that Little Tree has suffered throughout his life?
5. What do Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples of prejudice and misunderstanding does Little Tree encounter at the orphanage?
2. What does Chapter 16 suggest about the place of church going in the lives of Little Tree's family?
3. In what way does the title of Chapter 18 foreshadow the events that occur in it?
4. In what ways does the author communicate to the reader the growing fear and grief experienced by Granpa, Granma and Little Tree at the prospect of their separation?
5. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
6. How does the description of the incident with Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk demonstrate the author's ability to use humor?
7. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
8. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
9. Identify two specific lessons that Little Tree learns from his family and that are reinforced by Mr. Wine.
10. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the voice of Granpa, the novel expresses many explicit criticisms of the government, the law and authority figures in general. Write a critical analysis of Granpa's attitude to the government, the law and authority figures in general and comment on whether you consider it appropriate for Granpa to pass on his views to Little Tree.
Essay Topic 2
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Forrest Carter makes significant use of symbolism in the novel. Using specific examples of different types of symbols, write a detailed analysis of the author's use of symbolism throughout the novel. Where is it seen? How effectively is it used?
This section contains 1,810 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)