Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
2. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
3. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
4. What is the importance of the way Chapter 12 ends?
5. How does Little Tree create a disturbance in church?
Essay Topic 1
The controversy surrounding the authorship of the novel has led to the view that it is not a suitable book for teaching about the lives of American Indians. Discuss the dangers and merits involved in using this novel to teach the young about the lives and beliefs of American Indians and suggest methods that should be used to avert such dangers.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author integrates the use of Standard American English with English that reflects the influence of the Cherokee language and other dialects. In light of this, discuss the advantages and limitations of using different types of language in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the title "The Education of Little Tree." Give detailed examples of Little Tree's upbringing and comment in detail on whether this novel is appropriately titled. What evidence is there in the novel that there were contending views about whether he was being educated?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)