|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weekly event puts Little Tree and his family in the company of Willow John?
2. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
3. How does the author reveal Granpa's sense of humor even during this dangerous adventure?
4. Which two incidents destroy Granpa's hope of being able to keep Little Tree?
5. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Granpa's approach to people in church who are badly off differ from the approach of others?
2. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
3. During an incident in Chapter 13, poor people on the farm in the clearing are harassed and killed by government authorities. What part does this incident play in the novel?
4. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
5. What does Chapter 16 suggest about the place of church going in the lives of Little Tree's family?
6. What examples of prejudice and misunderstanding does Little Tree encounter at the orphanage?
7. How do Granpa and Little Tree continue to make sure that as much as possible is learned from Little's Tree loss in the calf purchase?
8. What purpose does Willow John serve in the novel?
9. How does the description of the incident with Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk demonstrate the author's ability to use humor?
10. Give a brief summary of the events related by Granpa that lead to Little Tree's return from the orphanage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the author integrates the use of Standard American English with English that reflects the influence of the Cherokee language and other dialects. In light of this, discuss the advantages and limitations of using different types of language in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the author's treatment of death and loss in the first and last chapters of the novel, indicating the changes which are evident in Little Tree's reactions to these experiences.
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 1,747 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)