|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important part does Mr. Wine play in the education of Little Tree?
2. Why does the author include the special relationship between Mr. Wine and Little Tree's family in the story?
3. How does the author suggest that even nature is mourning about Little Tree's departure?
4. Which of the following is the best explanation for the author's inclusion of Granpa's story about the "Farm in the Clearing" in the novel?
5. What is the importance of the way Chapter 12 ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
2. Give a brief summary of the events related by Granpa that lead to Little Tree's return from the orphanage.
3. How and why does Granpa's approach to people in church who are badly off differ from the approach of others?
4. In what ways does the author communicate to the reader the growing fear and grief experienced by Granpa, Granma and Little Tree at the prospect of their separation?
5. What does Chapter 16 suggest about the place of church going in the lives of Little Tree's family?
6. What purpose does Willow John serve in the novel?
7. During an incident in Chapter 13, poor people on the farm in the clearing are harassed and killed by government authorities. What part does this incident play in the novel?
8. Give an example from Chapter 12 of how well the author uses vivid description to convey a picture of Spring to the reader.
9. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
10. What are the main purposes served by the incident in which Granpa is bitten by the rattlesnake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The episodes in the novel that have to do with the church and church-going present Little Tree and the reader with instances of hypocrisy and contradiction associated with Christianity. Referring closely to important incidents in the novel, discuss the author's exploration of hypocrisy and contradictions in the behavior of representatives of Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Granpa is involved in the controversial whiskey trade and exposes Little Tree to danger by involving him in the activities associated with it. Explain the complexities of Granpa's involvement in the whiskey trade and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of his decision to involve Little Tree in this line of work.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the author integrates the use of Standard American English with English that reflects the influence of the Cherokee language and other dialects. In light of this, discuss the advantages and limitations of using different types of language in the novel.
This section contains 1,762 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)