|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
2. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
3. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
4. What is the importance of the way Chapter 12 ends?
5. How does Little Tree create a disturbance in church?
Essay Topic 1
Among the important themes explored in this novel are exclusion and prejudice. Discuss the characters, circumstances and relationships through which the themes of exclusion and prejudice are explored in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Granpa is involved in the controversial whiskey trade and exposes Little Tree to danger by involving him in the activities associated with it. Explain the complexities of Granpa's involvement in the whiskey trade and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of his decision to involve Little Tree in this line of work.
Essay Topic 3
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the title "The Education of Little Tree." Give detailed examples of Little Tree's upbringing and comment in detail on whether this novel is appropriately titled. What evidence is there in the novel that there were contending views about whether he was being educated?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)