|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the incident with the two men from Chattanooga, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he is becoming clever and less trusting?
2. In the incident when Granpa sees the old farmhouse in the clearing, why is Granpa surprised by the soldier's treatment of the people on the farm when he returns there later?
3. How does the reverend at the orphanage continue the prejudice that Little Tree has suffered throughout his life?
4. Why does Little Tree believe that the incident in which he gets into trouble with the teacher eventually leads to Granpa coming for him?
5. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the voice of Granpa, the novel expresses many explicit criticisms of the government, the law and authority figures in general. Write a critical analysis of Granpa's attitude to the government, the law and authority figures in general and comment on whether you consider it appropriate for Granpa to pass on his views to Little Tree.
Essay Topic 2
In the introduction to the re-issuing of "The Education of Little Tree", the University of New Mexico Press includes the following statement: 'Little Tree is one of those rare books like Huck Finn that each new generation needs to discover and which needs to be read and reread regularly...a fine and sustaining book, wonderfully funny and deeply poignant'.
With special reference to this statement and using detailed references to the text, write a critical analysis of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Granpa is involved in the controversial whiskey trade and exposes Little Tree to danger by involving him in the activities associated with it. Explain the complexities of Granpa's involvement in the whiskey trade and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of his decision to involve Little Tree in this line of work.
This section contains 1,470 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)