Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
2. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
3. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
4. What is the importance of the way Chapter 12 ends?
5. How does Little Tree create a disturbance in church?
Essay Topic 1
In the introduction to the re-issuing of "The Education of Little Tree", the University of New Mexico Press includes the following statement: 'Little Tree is one of those rare books like Huck Finn that each new generation needs to discover and which needs to be read and reread regularly...a fine and sustaining book, wonderfully funny and deeply poignant'.
With special reference to this statement and using detailed references to the text, write a critical analysis of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Through the voice of Granpa, the novel expresses many explicit criticisms of the government, the law and authority figures in general. Write a critical analysis of Granpa's attitude to the government, the law and authority figures in general and comment on whether you consider it appropriate for Granpa to pass on his views to Little Tree.
Essay Topic 3
Granpa is involved in the controversial whiskey trade and exposes Little Tree to danger by involving him in the activities associated with it. Explain the complexities of Granpa's involvement in the whiskey trade and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of his decision to involve Little Tree in this line of work.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)