|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In regard to leaving the orphanage, how does Granpa reveal that he wants Little Tree to continue learning to make his own decisions?
2. In the incident with the two men from Chattanooga, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he is becoming clever and less trusting?
3. The author shares many Cherokee symbols with the reader. What is revealed in Chapter 14 about the meaning of an Indian holding up his palm?
4. How does Mr. Wine's death shed light on the previous incident in which he prays and then walks away without acknowledging Little Tree's gratitude for the yellow coat?
5. Why does Little Tree believe that the incident in which he gets into trouble with the teacher eventually leads to Granpa coming for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief summary of the events related by Granpa that lead to Little Tree's return from the orphanage.
2. During an incident in Chapter 13, poor people on the farm in the clearing are harassed and killed by government authorities. What part does this incident play in the novel?
3. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
4. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
5. In what ways does the author communicate to the reader the growing fear and grief experienced by Granpa, Granma and Little Tree at the prospect of their separation?
6. What examples of prejudice and misunderstanding does Little Tree encounter at the orphanage?
7. Identify two specific lessons that Little Tree learns from his family and that are reinforced by Mr. Wine.
8. Why isn't Granpa interested in talking to Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk about putting him to work on a big whiskey still?
9. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
10. What purpose does Willow John serve in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the title "The Education of Little Tree." Give detailed examples of Little Tree's upbringing and comment in detail on whether this novel is appropriately titled. What evidence is there in the novel that there were contending views about whether he was being educated?
Essay Topic 2
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Granma and Granpa are towering figures in the life of Little Tree and they establish the power of simplicity and commitment in a complex and frightening world. Discuss the evidence provided by the author of the complex and frightening world in which Little Tree finds himself and comment on the role of his grandparents in establishing that simple family values and relationships are powerful means of survival in such a world.
This section contains 1,829 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)