|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Little Tree believe that the incident in which he gets into trouble with the teacher eventually leads to Granpa coming for him?
2. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
3. How does Mr. Wine's death shed light on the previous incident in which he prays and then walks away without acknowledging Little Tree's gratitude for the yellow coat?
4. In what way do the events in Chapter 18 represent a major turning point in the novel?
5. How do the events in Chapter 12 demonstrate the importance of Granma's knowledge of plants and herbs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An outstanding feature of this story is the author's ability to provide vivid descriptions that help to promote the Cherokee respect for, and love of nature. Provide detailed references to at least three different settings in the novel, and use them to demonstrate the validity of this assertion.
Essay Topic 2
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the title "The Education of Little Tree." Give detailed examples of Little Tree's upbringing and comment in detail on whether this novel is appropriately titled. What evidence is there in the novel that there were contending views about whether he was being educated?
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)