|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the two men from Chattanooga make fun of Little Tree?
2. How does the author establish Granma's resourcefulness in Chapter 12?
3. How does Little Tree describe the effect of returning to his secret place in Chapter 20?
4. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
5. How does Mr. Wine assure Little Tree that he is getting a good education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
2. In what way does the title of Chapter 18 foreshadow the events that occur in it?
3. What does Chapter 16 suggest about the place of church going in the lives of Little Tree's family?
4. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
5. How do Granpa and Little Tree continue to make sure that as much as possible is learned from Little's Tree loss in the calf purchase?
6. In what ways does the author communicate to the reader the growing fear and grief experienced by Granpa, Granma and Little Tree at the prospect of their separation?
7. Identify two specific lessons that Little Tree learns from his family and that are reinforced by Mr. Wine.
8. During an incident in Chapter 13, poor people on the farm in the clearing are harassed and killed by government authorities. What part does this incident play in the novel?
9. How and why does Granpa's approach to people in church who are badly off differ from the approach of others?
10. Write a short character sketch of Mr. Wine and summarize his role in the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the introduction to the re-issuing of "The Education of Little Tree", the University of New Mexico Press includes the following statement: 'Little Tree is one of those rare books like Huck Finn that each new generation needs to discover and which needs to be read and reread regularly...a fine and sustaining book, wonderfully funny and deeply poignant'.
With special reference to this statement and using detailed references to the text, write a critical analysis of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the device of ending certain chapters with a different literary form. With detailed reference to the poems that occur at the end of three chapters in the novel, write a critical analysis of this technique making sure to include comments on the author's purposes and the extent to which they are achieved.
Essay Topic 3
Granpa is involved in the controversial whiskey trade and exposes Little Tree to danger by involving him in the activities associated with it. Explain the complexities of Granpa's involvement in the whiskey trade and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of his decision to involve Little Tree in this line of work.
This section contains 1,712 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)