|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20, "Home Again".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Granpa's disposal of the whiskey demonstrate that he is observing the lessons he teaches Little Tree about nature's ways?
(a) He keeps the whiskey in case of snake bites.
(b) He sells the whiskey for just a little more than what they need to get by.
(c) He only makes a small amount of whiskey.
(d) He gives away most of the whiskey he makes.
2. Which books are Granma's favorites to read?
(a) Shakespeare's plays.
(b) Books with poems and songs about children.
(c) Bible stories.
(d) Books about the Cherokees.
3. What does Little Tree find interesting that makes him watch the umbrella spider for hours?
(a) How the spider outwits and eats several flies.
(b) How persistent the spider is in building a wide web across ferns, even though it keeps falling into the water.
(c) How the spider climbs out of the water.
(d) How the spider crawls back to the same place repeatedly.
4. How does the author suggest that even nature is mourning about Little Tree's departure?
(a) Granpa says even the animals are howling with sadness.
(b) Little Tree describes the rain as mournful and sad.
(c) Granma says the frogs and spiders in Little Tree's secret place have hidden away.
(d) Little Tree's description says a low oak limb's finger pulls the tow sack off his shoulder, and a lonesome dove gets no answer to his call.
5. The author shares many Cherokee symbols with the reader. What is revealed in Chapter 14 about the meaning of an Indian holding up his palm?
(a) It means there is an agreement.
(b) The Indian wants someone to stay away.
(c) It means "Welcome".
(d) It means peace because he is showing he has no weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Hangin' Gap?
2. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
3. What is the mode of narration used by the author to tell the story?
4. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
5. At the beginning of the novel, how is Little Tree taken to his new home?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)