|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20, "Home Again".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the main theme of Chapter 2?
(a) A young boy learns to survive in the mountains.
(b) Granpa shares his knowledge about hunting.
(c) A young boy learns to appreciate nature.
(d) How animals survive in the wild.
2. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
(a) The author brings the excited policeman dressed in his city clothes into the cabin where everyone is calm and dressed in traditional clothes.
(b) The author describes the mountain and then changes the setting to the busy square at the settlement.
(c) The author describes the routine, laborious work on the land and later shows readers a colorful visitor talking about cars, criminals and money-making schemes.
(d) The author contrasts the plow with the fast black car driven by the visitor.
3. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
(a) He wears bright yellow high-top shoes that Little Tree secretly craves.
(b) He tells Little Tree he can have one of the corns, and Little Tree is tempted to take the biggest one.
(c) He takes three slices of Granma's sweet potato pie, and Little Tree silently craves the last slice.
(d) He brings only three small corns so Little Tree has to do without.
4. How does Granpa make his living?
(a) Selling crops at the settlement store.
(b) Selling fish at the settlement store.
(c) Making and selling whiskey.
(d) Selling meat at the settlement store.
5. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
(a) They are motivated to provide help.
(b) They believe they have no right to be there.
(c) They are prejudiced against the black man at the farm.
(d) They are concerned about the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
2. What weekly event puts Little Tree and his family in the company of Willow John?
3. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
4. At the beginning of the novel, how is Little Tree taken to his new home?
5. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)