|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20, "Home Again".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
(b) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
(c) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
(d) Because it's the only time it happens.
2. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 5?
(a) The Big Black Car.
(b) A Visit to the Settlement.
(c) Little Tree Learns of Chattanooga.
(d) Differences in Culture.
3. How do the events in Chapter 12 demonstrate the importance of Granma's knowledge of plants and herbs?
(a) It helps to stop Little Tree's arm from swellling.
(b) It stops Little Tree's bleeding.
(c) It soothes Granpa's bear bite.
(d) It helps her to save someone's life.
4. What does the author imply might be the reason for the special bond that exists between Mr. Wine and Little Tree's family?
(a) That they both place a great emphasis on education.
(b) That they have both experienced prejudice and exclusion.
(c) Thay they have both lost many relatives.
(d) That they both have lost their "Nation" and have relatives scattered all over.
5. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
(b) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
(c) He moves them closer to where he lives.
(d) He moves into their camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. In teaching Little Tree, how does Mr. Wine reinforce Granma's lessons about the spirit-mind and the body-mind?
2. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
3. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
4. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
5. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)