|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20, "Home Again".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is this visitor in Chapter 7 hoping to become rich?
(a) Through a prize in a competition at the settlement.
(b) By winning a writing competition and through a reward for alerting the police to the existence of a big criminal.
(c) By selling a large piece of land to the government and then earn interest at the bank.
(d) Through a reward from the police for turning in a stolen black car.
2. What can the reader deduce about the author's intention in describing Cherokee beliefs and values in Chapter 8?
(a) He intends to show that the Cherokee beliefs and values will make Little Tree feel like an outsider.
(b) He intends to ridicule the Cherokee's beliefs.
(c) He intends to show how different the Cherokee beliefs are from American beliefs.
(d) He intends to be respectful of the Cherokee beliefs and values.
3. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
(a) To make it clear that Little Tree is kept away from adults who are not Cherokee.
(b) To make it clear that everyone is not racially prejudiced.
(c) To make it clear that Little Tree's grandparents are not bringing him up in a way that isolates him from other people.
(d) To make it clear that Little Tree is being protected.
4. According to Chapter 3, how does Granpa feel about politicians and authority figures?
(a) Granpa likes to hear about politicians and authority figures.
(b) Granpa is afraid of politicians and authority figures.
(c) Granpa believes politicians and authority figures are necessary to keep order.
(d) Granpa does not like politicians and authority figures.
5. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
(a) A special book about nature because Little Tree's grandparents want him to love nature.
(b) A dictionary because Little Tree has to learn five words every week.
(c) A bible so that Little Tree can read more about the lessons he hears at church.
(d) A book about the Cherokees so that Little Tree can learn his heritage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the red flag planted on the land by the regulators?
2. Why does Little Tree believe that the incident in which he gets into trouble with the teacher eventually leads to Granpa coming for him?
3. How does Granpa teach Little Tree respect for the small creatures in Chapter 8?
4. How does the author reveal Granpa's sense of humor even during this dangerous adventure?
5. What is the name of the part of the mountain trail between the mountains where the trail becomes thinner?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)