|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, "Mr. Wine".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(b) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(c) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(d) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
2. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
(a) The author suggests that he is not very generous, but Little Tree thinks he is kind.
(b) The author suggests that he is always making up stories and schemes, but Little Tree thinks he is wise and successful.
(c) The author suggests that he is spying on how Little Tree is being brought up, but Little Tree thinks he is a true friend.
(d) The author suggests that he is not a sincere friend of the family, but Little Tree trusts him.
3. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
(a) Granpa enjoys hunting because it keeps him active.
(b) Granpa enjoys hunting because it makes Little Tree laugh.
(c) Granpa enjoys hunting because of the lessons he learns from it.
(d) Granpa enjoys the fun of watching the hounds chase the fox and then seeing the fox outwit the hounds.
4. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
(a) To make it clear that Little Tree is kept away from adults who are not Cherokee.
(b) To make it clear that Little Tree is being protected.
(c) To make it clear that Little Tree's grandparents are not bringing him up in a way that isolates him from other people.
(d) To make it clear that everyone is not racially prejudiced.
5. What is Little Tree learning from the way in which Granma and Granpa deal with any extra money that they get from the whiskey?
(a) The importance of giving extra money to those who are worse off.
(b) To make a list of things to buy with extra money.
(c) The importance of saving extra money.
(d) To take the money to the bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
2. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
3. How does the author establish Granma's resourcefulness in Chapter 12?
4. How does Little Tree's innocence and trust lead him to lose his money?
5. According to Mr. Jenkins, who are the two men from Chattanooga and why are they looking for Granpa?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)