|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, "Mr. Wine".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the incident with the two men from Chattanooga, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he is becoming clever and less trusting?
(a) He takes the dollar and tells them Granpa is at the settlement.
(b) He takes the dollar they offer him to lead them to Granpa but he leads them away from the stills.
(c) He takes the dollar and then tells them he doesn't know Granpa.
(d) He asks for two dollars instead and leads them away from the trail.
2. How does Chapter 2 end?
(a) With a poem about Mon-o-lah and The Way.
(b) With a poem about love of nature.
(c) With a poem about the animals.
(d) With a poem about the sunrise on the mountain.
3. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
(a) Granpa enjoys hunting because it keeps him active.
(b) Granpa enjoys hunting because of the lessons he learns from it.
(c) Granpa enjoys hunting because it makes Little Tree laugh.
(d) Granpa enjoys the fun of watching the hounds chase the fox and then seeing the fox outwit the hounds.
4. In the incident when Granpa sees the old farmhouse in the clearing, why is Granpa surprised by the soldier's treatment of the people on the farm when he returns there later?
(a) Granpa expects the soldiers to help the people but they actually attack them with guns .
(b) Granpa expects the soldiers to harm them but they actually bring them a mule.
(c) Granpa expects the soldiers to throw them off the land but they tie them up in the barn.
(d) Granpa expects the soldiers to stop them from plowing but they charge them taxes.
5. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use symbols on caves.
(b) They use a special writing system.
(c) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(d) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
2. How does the author establish Granma's resourcefulness in Chapter 12?
3. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
4. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
5. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)