|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, "Mr. Wine".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
(a) Survival of the Strong.
(b) The Lost People.
(d) Understanding the Past.
2. How do the two men from Chattanooga make fun of Little Tree?
(a) They call him an unpleasant name because he does not recollect his father.
(b) They tease him about belonging nowhere.
(c) They call him uneducated.
(d) They laugh at his moccasins.
3. Which of the following is the best explanation for the author's inclusion of Granpa's story about the "Farm in the Clearing" in the novel?
(a) To show that Granpa was once a boy living freely on the land.
(b) To show how important it is to prevent people from capturing land.
(c) To show that despite the difference between ethnic groups, individuals share admirable human qualities.
(d) To show that whenever authorities get involved in a situation, they make it bad.
4. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
(a) The sharecropper chastises his daughter for talking to Little Tree.
(b) The sharecropper tells Granpa to keep his grandson away from his daughter.
(c) The sharecropper forbids his daughter to speak to Little Tree.
(d) The sharecropper whips his daughter's legs and tells her to give back the moccasins Little Tree gives to her.
5. In what two ways does the author introduce humor in the incident with the two men from Chattanooga?
(a) By describing how the men fall into poison ivy and how Granma cooks them fish with roots that cause diarrhea.
(b) By describing how Granpa leads them to the edge of the cliff and taunts them until they beg for forgiveness.
(c) By describing how Little Tree outwits them and sends them running from the hounds.
(d) By describing how Little Tree sets the hounds on them and they are chased into the freezing river.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Granma help Little Tree to understand the relationship between nature and human development?
2. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
3. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
4. How does Granpa help Little Tree to accept the death of Ringer after he is bludgeoned in the mountains?
5. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)