|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, "Mr. Wine".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best explanation for the author's inclusion of Granpa's story about the "Farm in the Clearing" in the novel?
(a) To show how important it is to prevent people from capturing land.
(b) To show that despite the difference between ethnic groups, individuals share admirable human qualities.
(c) To show that Granpa was once a boy living freely on the land.
(d) To show that whenever authorities get involved in a situation, they make it bad.
2. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
(a) Granpa sends him to find the man who sold him the calf and demand his money.
(b) Granpa makes Little Tree go without his earnings for the next two weeks.
(c) Granpa reduces Little Tree's stake in the business.
(d) Granpa makes Little Tree write down on paper how much he spent and lost.
3. What is Granpa's reason for taking Little Tree on this walk up the trail?
(a) To expose him to the animals and teach him "The Way".
(b) To teach him how to hunt.
(c) To show him the way up to the mountains so he can see the sunrise.
(d) To show him the bees at work.
4. Why does the author include the special relationship between Mr. Wine and Little Tree's family in the story?
(a) To show that the world has many different types of people.
(b) To show that Little Tree has someone to help round out his education.
(c) To show that despite ethnic and racial differences, people with common values and beliefs can become close friends.
(d) To show that Little Tree is learning to relate to many different people.
5. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
(a) They nurture each individual's spirit body.
(b) They allow each person to pray.
(c) They allow each person to read in a quiet place.
(d) They allow each person to hide away when faced with danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he has learned Granpa's lesson about nature's ways?
2. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
3. Which of the following best describes the main theme of Chapter 2?
4. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
5. What does the woman in the black car ask when she stops Little Tree and Granpa on their way back from the settlement?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)