|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, "Mr. Wine".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Hangin' Gap?
(a) The place where Cherokees hang those who steal animals.
(b) A creek in the thin part of the trail.
(c) The space between two streams in the mountain.
(d) The gap between the two mountains.
2. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
(b) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
(c) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
(d) Severe snow storms.
3. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(b) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(c) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(d) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
4. What happens in Chapter 8 to suggest that Little Tree has a natural tendency towards some Cherokee ways?
(a) He is naturally attracted to the medicinal herbs that Granma collects.
(b) He finds himself a special "secret" place and Granma tells him all Cherokees have secret places.
(c) He is naturally attracted to the songs of the frogs.
(d) He is naturally attracted to the spiders weaving their webs.
5. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
(a) To make it clear that Little Tree is kept away from adults who are not Cherokee.
(b) To make it clear that everyone is not racially prejudiced.
(c) To make it clear that Little Tree's grandparents are not bringing him up in a way that isolates him from other people.
(d) To make it clear that Little Tree is being protected.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the driver of the vehicle who takes Little Tree to his new home treat Granma and Granpa?
2. In Chapter 2, what is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns about nature?
3. In Chapter 15, how does Granma reassure Little Tree that his birth time is special and he will never be alone?
4. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
5. Why does Granpa object to people who age whiskey?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)