|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, "Mr. Wine".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
(a) He talks with contempt about the Catholics.
(b) He talks a lot about Pharisees or separates, while looking and pointing straight at Granpa's family.
(c) He rants and raves about whiskey makers.
(d) He talks with contempt about the Cherokee.
2. Why does the author cause Little Tree to be exposed to the Cherokee views about human nature at such an early age?
(a) To prepare him for future events in which he will see the good and evil in human nature.
(b) He wants Little Tree to know very early about the superstitious beliefs that he should avoid.
(c) To help Little Tree understand things in case Granpa and Granma die.
(d) To show Little Tree that there is more depth in Granma than there is in Granpa.
3. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
(a) He sells most of it, keeps some, and gives away the rest.
(b) He keeps most of it and sells the rest to the store.
(c) He gives away half and sells half.
(d) He sells nine gallons to a store and keeps two gallons for use at home.
4. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(b) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(c) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(d) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
5. What can the reader deduce about the author's intention in describing Cherokee beliefs and values in Chapter 8?
(a) He intends to show that the Cherokee beliefs and values will make Little Tree feel like an outsider.
(b) He intends to be respectful of the Cherokee beliefs and values.
(c) He intends to ridicule the Cherokee's beliefs.
(d) He intends to show how different the Cherokee beliefs are from American beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
2. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
3. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
4. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
5. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)