|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "Granpa's Trade".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Granpa object to people who age whiskey?
(a) He believes that they are trying to make extra money.
(b) He believes they age whiskey to disguise the substances they add to it.
(c) He believes they are trying to disguise bad whiskey by keeping it longer.
(d) He believes rich men scheme to convince people that aged whiskey is better.
2. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
(b) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
(c) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
(d) Because it's the only time it happens.
3. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
(a) Because some people don't know the meanings of the words they use.
(b) Because people tell lies using misleading words.
(c) Because people, like politicians, sometimes use words to trick others.
(d) Because words have many different meanings.
4. Why doesn't Granma scold Little Tree for getting wet in the woods?
(a) Cherokee do not scold children for anything that has to do with the woods.
(b) Because there were no rules laid down about getting wet in the woods.
(c) Because Granpa begs for him to be forgiven.
(d) Because he's already being punished with a bad cold.
5. What is Little Tree learning from the way in which Granma and Granpa deal with any extra money that they get from the whiskey?
(a) The importance of giving extra money to those who are worse off.
(b) To take the money to the bank.
(c) To make a list of things to buy with extra money.
(d) The importance of saving extra money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
2. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
3. What is Little Tree especially proud of in Chapter 9?
4. What is the unique mark on Granpa's whiskey jar?
5. What is the name of the part of the mountain trail between the mountains where the trail becomes thinner?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)