|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "Granpa's Trade".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
(a) Setting a trap for turkeys.
(b) Climbing trees.
(c) Chasing ground rats.
(d) Swooping down to kill a quail.
2. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
(a) The weather.
(b) The time when they go to bed.
(c) The cost of a nickel to fill the coal oil lamp.
(d) The time when the sun sets.
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
(a) Granpa says that people who take more than their share do better than others.
(b) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause others to starve.
(c) Granpa teaches Little Tree that people who store and take more than their share contribute to wars, land-grabbing and changing nature's ways.
(d) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause jealousy.
4. What is the name of the part of the mountain trail between the mountains where the trail becomes thinner?
(b) Thinning Trail.
(c) The Narrows.
(d) Narrow Trail.
5. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
(a) The author brings the excited policeman dressed in his city clothes into the cabin where everyone is calm and dressed in traditional clothes.
(b) The author contrasts the plow with the fast black car driven by the visitor.
(c) The author describes the mountain and then changes the setting to the busy square at the settlement.
(d) The author describes the routine, laborious work on the land and later shows readers a colorful visitor talking about cars, criminals and money-making schemes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
2. How old is Little Tree when the novel begins?
3. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
4. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
5. In the early chapters of the book, what kind of education is Little Tree receiving from his grandparents?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)