|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "Granpa's Trade".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
(a) That he has many relatives.
(b) That "kin" is all about the love and understanding between some people.
(c) The bad effects of fighting.
(d) That Granpa almost went to Chattanooga.
2. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
(a) Because people tell lies using misleading words.
(b) Because people, like politicians, sometimes use words to trick others.
(c) Because words have many different meanings.
(d) Because some people don't know the meanings of the words they use.
3. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
(b) Red Wing.
(c) Little Tree's mother.
(d) Willow John.
4. Which character comes to visit the family in Chapter 7?
(a) Pine Billy.
(b) The lady from the big, black car.
(c) The preacher.
(d) The sharecropper.
5. Why does Granpa want Little Tree to learn his trade when he is only six-years-old?
(a) Because Little Tree should be kept from being idle.
(b) Because he is growing old and Little Tree will soon have to take over.
(c) Because even if Little Tree switches trades later, he will always have something to fall back on.
(d) Because Little Tree is smart enough to learn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
2. Which three people does Little Tree learn about from Granpa's stories in Chapter 5?
3. Which of the following best describes the theme of the opening chapter?
4. How is Granpa's approach to making whiskey different from that of the "city criminals" who just want to make money?
5. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)