|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "Granpa's Trade".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Granpa teach Little Tree respect for the small creatures in Chapter 8?
(a) To avoid disturbing the frogs' songs by walking on tiptoes.
(b) To catch the tadpoles and place them in a jar for safety.
(c) To set the spiders back in the ferns when they fall into the water.
(d) To stay away from the spiders and the frogs.
2. How does Granpa's disposal of the whiskey demonstrate that he is observing the lessons he teaches Little Tree about nature's ways?
(a) He sells the whiskey for just a little more than what they need to get by.
(b) He keeps the whiskey in case of snake bites.
(c) He gives away most of the whiskey he makes.
(d) He only makes a small amount of whiskey.
3. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
(a) To show that both his grandparents play equally important roles in shaping his development.
(b) To show that there is a bond between Granma and Little Tree that does not exist between Little Tree and Granpa.
(c) To show that Granma is more knowledgeable about important things.
(d) To show that Granpa has no spiritual side so Granma has to do it.
4. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
(a) By not allowing the hounds to kill the fox.
(b) By telling Little Tree it is wrong to kill.
(c) By not allowing the fox to kill the hounds.
(d) By never killing the fox, which he does not need.
5. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
(a) A dictionary because Little Tree has to learn five words every week.
(b) A book about the Cherokees so that Little Tree can learn his heritage.
(c) A special book about nature because Little Tree's grandparents want him to love nature.
(d) A bible so that Little Tree can read more about the lessons he hears at church.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
2. Why is the lady in the black car frustrated by Granpa's answer?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Little Tree's description of the woods around his new home reveal about his attitude to the surroundings?
4. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
5. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)