|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "Granpa's Trade".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
(a) That Granpa will take care of Granma.
(b) That Granma takes care of the bees.
(c) Little Tree learns of the love and understanding that Granpa has for Granma.
(d) That Granma is a good worker.
2. In the early chapters of the book, what kind of education is Little Tree receiving from his grandparents?
(a) An education about responsibility.
(b) An education about becoming a hunter.
(c) A varied and practical education.
(d) An education that is limited to the Cherokee way of life.
3. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
(a) Because Granpa teaches him that when spoken to, he should give full attention out of respect.
(b) To avoid the smell.
(c) Because it is getting heavy.
(d) Because it is beginning to spill oil.
4. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
(a) He wears bright yellow high-top shoes that Little Tree secretly craves.
(b) He brings only three small corns so Little Tree has to do without.
(c) He tells Little Tree he can have one of the corns, and Little Tree is tempted to take the biggest one.
(d) He takes three slices of Granma's sweet potato pie, and Little Tree silently craves the last slice.
5. Why does Granma describe some people in the world as "dead"?
(a) They are only interested in oppressing others.
(b) They have no spirit-mind so they only see dirty if they look at a woman and they fail to see beauty in nature.
(c) They are cruel to women and abuse nature.
(d) They are only interested in material things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
2. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
3. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
4. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
5. How does Granpa teach Little Tree respect for the small creatures in Chapter 8?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)