|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Little Tree's description of the woods around his new home reveal about his attitude to the surroundings?
(a) He is longing for his old surroundings.
(b) He hates the sound of the wind but he likes the whispering wind.
(c) The sights and sounds terrify him.
(d) He finds the surroundings strange.
2. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(b) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
(c) They go to church.
(d) They make rugs from the deer hide.
3. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
(a) She doesn't want to upset Little Tree.
(b) She wants Granpa to have someone to admire.
(c) She thinks Granpa will get angry.
(d) She doesn't want Little Tree exposed to violent stories.
4. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 4?
(a) Little Tree Takes A Fox.
(b) The Fox outwits the Hounds.
(c) Mountain Hunting.
(d) Granpa's Way of Hunting.
5. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
(a) So he will know about his relatives.
(b) Because he will have to teach his own children about the past.
(c) Because it will help him understand the Cherokee ways.
(d) Because without understanding his past, he will not understand his future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
2. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
3. How does the author reveal that the policeman might be wrong to put the driver of the black car in jail?
4. How does Chapter 2 end?
5. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)