|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Granma scold Little Tree for getting wet in the woods?
(a) Cherokee do not scold children for anything that has to do with the woods.
(b) Because he's already being punished with a bad cold.
(c) Because there were no rules laid down about getting wet in the woods.
(d) Because Granpa begs for him to be forgiven.
2. What does the woman in the black car ask when she stops Little Tree and Granpa on their way back from the settlement?
(a) The way to the cabin.
(b) The way to the church.
(c) If they want a ride home.
(d) The way to Chattanooga.
3. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
(a) The author suggests that he is always making up stories and schemes, but Little Tree thinks he is wise and successful.
(b) The author suggests that he is not very generous, but Little Tree thinks he is kind.
(c) The author suggests that he is spying on how Little Tree is being brought up, but Little Tree thinks he is a true friend.
(d) The author suggests that he is not a sincere friend of the family, but Little Tree trusts him.
4. Who guides the family when it comes to books, decisions and words?
(a) The librarian.
5. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
(a) To keep away the other Cherokee.
(b) To keep away people from the settlement.
(c) To protect Granma when she is alone.
(d) To guard the crops and cabin and to have fun fox-hunting.
Short Answer Questions
1. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
2. Why does the author cause Little Tree to be exposed to the Cherokee views about human nature at such an early age?
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
4. Why does Granma describe some people in the world as "dead"?
5. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)