|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(b) They make rugs from the deer hide.
(c) They go to church.
(d) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
2. In the early chapters of the book, what kind of education is Little Tree receiving from his grandparents?
(a) An education about becoming a hunter.
(b) An education about responsibility.
(c) An education that is limited to the Cherokee way of life.
(d) A varied and practical education.
3. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
(a) By telling Little Tree it is wrong to kill.
(b) By never killing the fox, which he does not need.
(c) By not allowing the hounds to kill the fox.
(d) By not allowing the fox to kill the hounds.
4. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
(b) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
(c) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
(d) Because it's the only time it happens.
5. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He moves into their camp.
(b) He moves them closer to where he lives.
(c) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
(d) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his reaction to this visitor, what characteristics does Little Tree display that he will have to overcome in order to avoid difficulties with some people outside his family?
2. What is the Trail of Tears?
3. What can the reader deduce about the author's intention in describing Cherokee beliefs and values in Chapter 8?
4. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
5. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)