|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 3, how does Granpa feel about politicians and authority figures?
(a) Granpa believes politicians and authority figures are necessary to keep order.
(b) Granpa likes to hear about politicians and authority figures.
(c) Granpa is afraid of politicians and authority figures.
(d) Granpa does not like politicians and authority figures.
2. What is the name of the part of the mountain trail between the mountains where the trail becomes thinner?
(a) The Narrows.
(b) Narrow Trail.
(c) Thinning Trail.
3. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
(a) As an incident of fierce aggression by the Cherokee.
(b) As an incident of shame and cowardice.
(c) As an incident of cruelty in which the Cherokee displayed pride.
(d) As an incident of cruelty from which the Cherokee never recovered.
4. How does Granpa teach Little Tree respect for the small creatures in Chapter 8?
(a) To stay away from the spiders and the frogs.
(b) To set the spiders back in the ferns when they fall into the water.
(c) To avoid disturbing the frogs' songs by walking on tiptoes.
(d) To catch the tadpoles and place them in a jar for safety.
5. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
(a) To make it clear that Little Tree is kept away from adults who are not Cherokee.
(b) To make it clear that everyone is not racially prejudiced.
(c) To make it clear that Little Tree is being protected.
(d) To make it clear that Little Tree's grandparents are not bringing him up in a way that isolates him from other people.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Granma, what happens to people who use the body-living mind for greedy purposes?
2. How does Granma help Little Tree to understand the relationship between nature and human development?
3. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
4. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
5. Who guides the family when it comes to books, decisions and words?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)