|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
(a) They sing brave songs on the journey.
(b) They look straight ahead as they march and refuse rides in the soldiers' wagons.
(c) They fight back and repel the soldiers.
(d) They plant their nation's flag where every Cherokee is buried.
2. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(b) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(c) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(d) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
3. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
(a) That Granpa is able to smell the animals from far away.
(b) That Granpa knows the trail very well.
(c) That Granpa has common sense.
(d) That Granpa has a natural ability to understand what is going on among the animals during the chase.
4. At the beginning of the novel, how is Little Tree taken to his new home?
(a) He goes by car.
(b) He rides a bus part of the way and then walks.
(c) He walks.
(d) He goes by bus.
5. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
(a) Washington hates Cherokees.
(b) Washington hates children.
(c) Washington got a blow in the head.
(d) Washington is a thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
2. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
3. What happens in Chapter 8 to suggest that Little Tree has a natural tendency towards some Cherokee ways?
4. In Chapter 2, what is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns about nature?
5. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)