|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
(a) He hears the Indians whispering in the mountains.
(b) He sees smoke signals across the mountain.
(c) After leaving certain items in the forest, he comes back to find a long Indian knife, a tomahawk and only some of what he left.
(d) He sees the remains of fires and cooked meat.
2. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
(a) Granpa's speed and agility.
(b) Grandpa's great ability to catch foxes and control the hounds.
(c) Granpa's love for swimming and diving.
(d) His immense respect for nature and animals and his sense of humor.
3. As he goes up the trail, how does Little Tree become aware of "Mon-o-lah", the earth mother?
(a) Little Tree feels the earth mother through his special shoes.
(b) Little Tree hears the earth mother whispering in the wind.
(c) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a stream of water.
(d) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a cave.
4. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(b) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(c) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(d) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
5. How does the incident with the fox and hounds affect the relationship between Granpa and Little Tree?
(a) It causes Little Tree to fear Granpa.
(b) It continues to deepen the growing bond between Granpa and Little Tree.
(c) It has no effect on the relationship.
(d) It damages the relationship between Granpa and Little Tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
2. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
3. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
4. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
5. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)