|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
(a) The author suggests that he is always making up stories and schemes, but Little Tree thinks he is wise and successful.
(b) The author suggests that he is spying on how Little Tree is being brought up, but Little Tree thinks he is a true friend.
(c) The author suggests that he is not a sincere friend of the family, but Little Tree trusts him.
(d) The author suggests that he is not very generous, but Little Tree thinks he is kind.
2. What is the mode of narration used by the author to tell the story?
(a) The author uses a second person point of view.
(b) The author uses first person from a child's perspective.
(c) The author is the narrator and knows everything.
(d) The author uses a third person narrator who is not in the story.
3. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
(b) Because it's the only time it happens.
(c) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
(d) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
4. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
(a) They allow each person to pray.
(b) They nurture each individual's spirit body.
(c) They allow each person to hide away when faced with danger.
(d) They allow each person to read in a quiet place.
5. At the end of Chapter 1, what kind of house is Little Tree taken to by his grandparents?
(a) A cottage.
(b) A cabin.
(c) A tepee.
(d) A bungalow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Hangin' Gap?
2. According to Chapter 3, how does Granpa feel about politicians and authority figures?
3. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
4. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
5. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)