|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
(a) Granma reads books that Little Tree brings them from the school at the settlement.
(b) Little Tree and Granpa collect them from the library at the settlement.
(c) Granma buys books at the settlement store.
(d) Granma reads books that Little Tree brought with him from his parents' home.
2. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
(b) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
(c) He fights for the government against foreigners.
(d) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
3. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
(a) That Granpa almost went to Chattanooga.
(b) That he has many relatives.
(c) The bad effects of fighting.
(d) That "kin" is all about the love and understanding between some people.
4. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
(a) Because people, like politicians, sometimes use words to trick others.
(b) Because some people don't know the meanings of the words they use.
(c) Because words have many different meanings.
(d) Because people tell lies using misleading words.
5. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
(a) Because he is knowledgeable about the mountains.
(b) For the lessons he teaches Little Tree.
(c) For his love of nature.
(d) For his skills at trailing animals and his sense of instinct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
2. Why is the lady in the black car frustrated by Granpa's answer?
3. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
4. What is the mode of narration used by the author to tell the story?
5. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)