|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
(b) Because it's the only time it happens.
(c) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
(d) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
2. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
(a) The people in the church have been saying bad things about him.
(b) He has lost his home and family.
(c) Because having fought battles all his life and lost everything, he has nothing more to fight about.
(d) He believes the preacher's sermon is against him.
3. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
(a) Granpa enjoys hunting because of the lessons he learns from it.
(b) Granpa enjoys the fun of watching the hounds chase the fox and then seeing the fox outwit the hounds.
(c) Granpa enjoys hunting because it keeps him active.
(d) Granpa enjoys hunting because it makes Little Tree laugh.
4. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A tax on Cherokee lands.
(b) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(c) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
(d) A tax on whiskey.
5. Which three people does Little Tree learn about from Granpa's stories in Chapter 5?
(a) Jack, Papa and Uncle.
(b) Uncle Coon, Papa Jack and Pa.
(c) An uncle who gets in trouble with women, granpa's pa and Coon Jack.
(d) Uncle, Pa and Bonnie Bee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
2. How does Granma help Little Tree to understand the relationship between nature and human development?
3. How do the visitor's ambitions contrast with the values of Granpa and Granma?
4. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
5. How old is Little Tree when the novel begins?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)