|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why does Granpa say that Little Tree looks like he is becoming a man?
(a) He shows that he understands Granma's lessons about herbs.
(b) He is learning to farm and to plow although the work is difficult.
(c) He is learning to cook with Granma's herbs.
(d) He begins to go out to the distant lands by himself.
2. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
(a) Washington hates children.
(b) Washington got a blow in the head.
(c) Washington hates Cherokees.
(d) Washington is a thief.
3. According to Chapter 3, how does Granpa feel about politicians and authority figures?
(a) Granpa believes politicians and authority figures are necessary to keep order.
(b) Granpa is afraid of politicians and authority figures.
(c) Granpa likes to hear about politicians and authority figures.
(d) Granpa does not like politicians and authority figures.
4. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
(a) She thinks Granpa will get angry.
(b) She doesn't want to upset Little Tree.
(c) She wants Granpa to have someone to admire.
(d) She doesn't want Little Tree exposed to violent stories.
5. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
(a) Ol' Slick, the fox.
(b) Ol' Runner, the fox.
(c) Ol' Trickster, the fox.
(d) Ol' Slipper, the fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
2. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
3. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
4. What happens in Chapter 8 to suggest that Little Tree has a natural tendency towards some Cherokee ways?
5. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)