|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
(a) A place for dogs to sleep.
(b) An exercise room.
(c) An open hallway to let hounds through.
(d) A place where dogs are fed.
2. Why doesn't Granma scold Little Tree for getting wet in the woods?
(a) Because Granpa begs for him to be forgiven.
(b) Because he's already being punished with a bad cold.
(c) Because there were no rules laid down about getting wet in the woods.
(d) Cherokee do not scold children for anything that has to do with the woods.
3. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
(a) The librarian.
(b) The man at the settlement who pulls teeth.
(c) A man who gives them a car ride from the settlement.
(d) The owner of the supply store at the settlement.
4. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
(a) To avoid the smell.
(b) Because Granpa teaches him that when spoken to, he should give full attention out of respect.
(c) Because it is beginning to spill oil.
(d) Because it is getting heavy.
5. How does the driver of the vehicle who takes Little Tree to his new home treat Granma and Granpa?
(a) He is friendly.
(b) He roughly asks for their tickets and makes fun of them when Granma counts up the money to pay.
(c) He welcomes them.
(d) He argues with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
2. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
3. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
4. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
5. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)