|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
(a) She doesn't want to upset Little Tree.
(b) She doesn't want Little Tree exposed to violent stories.
(c) She wants Granpa to have someone to admire.
(d) She thinks Granpa will get angry.
2. Which of the following best describes the theme of the opening chapter?
(a) Family relationships.
(b) Loss and and a new beginning.
(c) Growing up.
3. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
(a) They sing brave songs on the journey.
(b) They fight back and repel the soldiers.
(c) They look straight ahead as they march and refuse rides in the soldiers' wagons.
(d) They plant their nation's flag where every Cherokee is buried.
4. From the incident with the black car, what is revealed about Granpa's attitude towards words?
(a) Granpa wants Little Tree to learn many new words.
(b) Granpa thinks there are too many words and he prefers the sound of speech rather than the words used.
(c) Granpa finds words helpful in understanding other people.
(d) Granpa is eager to learn new words.
5. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
(a) Because it is beginning to spill oil.
(b) To avoid the smell.
(c) Because it is getting heavy.
(d) Because Granpa teaches him that when spoken to, he should give full attention out of respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
2. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
3. What is the Trail of Tears?
4. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
5. What does the reader learn about Granpa from his reaction to the lady in the black car who is rude to him?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)