|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(b) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(c) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(d) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
2. According to Granma, what happens to people who use the body-living mind for greedy purposes?
(a) The spirit-mind shrinks and in rebirth, the child is born with a small spirit-mind that could eventually disappear and be completely lost.
(b) They are the ones who acquire wealth and power.
(c) They suffer because they have no spirit of generosity.
(d) They suffer because other people hate their prosperity.
3. As he goes up the trail, how does Little Tree become aware of "Mon-o-lah", the earth mother?
(a) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a stream of water.
(b) Little Tree hears the earth mother whispering in the wind.
(c) Little Tree feels the earth mother through his special shoes.
(d) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a cave.
4. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
(b) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
(c) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
(d) He fights for the government against foreigners.
5. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 4?
(a) The Fox outwits the Hounds.
(b) Mountain Hunting.
(c) Little Tree Takes A Fox.
(d) Granpa's Way of Hunting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the theme of the opening chapter?
2. Little Tree's bed is made of what material?
3. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
4. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
5. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)