|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
(a) He sees smoke signals across the mountain.
(b) He hears the Indians whispering in the mountains.
(c) He sees the remains of fires and cooked meat.
(d) After leaving certain items in the forest, he comes back to find a long Indian knife, a tomahawk and only some of what he left.
2. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
(a) Because it will help him understand the Cherokee ways.
(b) Because without understanding his past, he will not understand his future.
(c) So he will know about his relatives.
(d) Because he will have to teach his own children about the past.
3. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
(a) A special book about nature because Little Tree's grandparents want him to love nature.
(b) A book about the Cherokees so that Little Tree can learn his heritage.
(c) A bible so that Little Tree can read more about the lessons he hears at church.
(d) A dictionary because Little Tree has to learn five words every week.
4. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
(a) A man who gives them a car ride from the settlement.
(b) The librarian.
(c) The man at the settlement who pulls teeth.
(d) The owner of the supply store at the settlement.
5. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
(a) He brings only three small corns so Little Tree has to do without.
(b) He takes three slices of Granma's sweet potato pie, and Little Tree silently craves the last slice.
(c) He wears bright yellow high-top shoes that Little Tree secretly craves.
(d) He tells Little Tree he can have one of the corns, and Little Tree is tempted to take the biggest one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
2. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
4. Which of the following best describes the theme of the opening chapter?
5. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)