|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the visitor's ambitions contrast with the values of Granpa and Granma?
(a) The visitor is intent on getting rich while Granpa and Granma have no interest in having more than they need to survive.
(b) The visitor wants quick riches but Granpa and Granma prefer to get rich by selling crops.
(c) The visitor wants to get easy money but Granpa and Granma know they own inherited land so they need no schemes to get rich.
(d) The visitor wants money but Granma and Granpa don't want to be rich, they just want to protect Little Tree's inheritance.
2. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
(a) Because he does not watch out for the hawk.
(b) Because he eats too much and falls asleep.
(c) For taking more than he needs from nature.
(d) Because he leaves his surroundings unprotected.
3. According to Granma, what happens to people who use the body-living mind for greedy purposes?
(a) The spirit-mind shrinks and in rebirth, the child is born with a small spirit-mind that could eventually disappear and be completely lost.
(b) They suffer because other people hate their prosperity.
(c) They suffer because they have no spirit of generosity.
(d) They are the ones who acquire wealth and power.
4. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) They go to church.
(b) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(c) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
(d) They make rugs from the deer hide.
5. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(b) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(c) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(d) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Trail of Tears?
2. In Chapter 2, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he has learned Granpa's lesson about nature's ways?
3. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
4. Who guides the family when it comes to books, decisions and words?
5. In Chapter 2, what is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns about nature?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)