|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
(a) That he has many relatives.
(b) The bad effects of fighting.
(c) That Granpa almost went to Chattanooga.
(d) That "kin" is all about the love and understanding between some people.
2. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
(a) Because he will have to teach his own children about the past.
(b) Because without understanding his past, he will not understand his future.
(c) So he will know about his relatives.
(d) Because it will help him understand the Cherokee ways.
3. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
(a) The oppressed will always turn against each other in order to escape death.
(b) Oppressed people can remain strong and proud.
(c) The oppressed should surrender in order to save lives.
(d) The oppressed should fight back even if it causes more deaths.
4. What is the Hangin' Gap?
(a) A creek in the thin part of the trail.
(b) The gap between the two mountains.
(c) The space between two streams in the mountain.
(d) The place where Cherokees hang those who steal animals.
5. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
(a) He reminds Granpa about kin and the fact that the mountains will not change and Pa tells him how much he cares for him.
(b) He tells Granpa to remember his heritage and pass it on to other Cherokee.
(c) He tells Granpa to continue to fight for the Nation.
(d) He tells Granpa it is time to surrender and end the fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
2. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
3. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
4. From the incident with the black car, what is revealed about Granpa's attitude towards words?
5. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)