|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
(a) Because words have many different meanings.
(b) Because people, like politicians, sometimes use words to trick others.
(c) Because people tell lies using misleading words.
(d) Because some people don't know the meanings of the words they use.
2. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
(a) They want to make sure he will be able to take care of them soon.
(b) They are making sure that Little Tree learns enough to be self-sufficient off the land.
(c) They want to make sure he will be a good father.
(d) They want to make sure he learns about his tribe's habits.
3. Why does the author cause Little Tree to be exposed to the Cherokee views about human nature at such an early age?
(a) To show Little Tree that there is more depth in Granma than there is in Granpa.
(b) He wants Little Tree to know very early about the superstitious beliefs that he should avoid.
(c) To help Little Tree understand things in case Granpa and Granma die.
(d) To prepare him for future events in which he will see the good and evil in human nature.
4. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
(a) Red Wing.
(b) Willow John.
(c) Little Tree's mother.
5. According to Chapter 3, how does Granpa feel about politicians and authority figures?
(a) Granpa believes politicians and authority figures are necessary to keep order.
(b) Granpa does not like politicians and authority figures.
(c) Granpa likes to hear about politicians and authority figures.
(d) Granpa is afraid of politicians and authority figures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
3. What happens in Chapter 8 to suggest that Little Tree has a natural tendency towards some Cherokee ways?
4. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
5. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)