|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "I Kin Ye, Bonnie Bee".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
(a) For the lessons he teaches Little Tree.
(b) Because he is knowledgeable about the mountains.
(c) For his skills at trailing animals and his sense of instinct.
(d) For his love of nature.
2. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
(a) Because some people don't know the meanings of the words they use.
(b) Because words have many different meanings.
(c) Because people, like politicians, sometimes use words to trick others.
(d) Because people tell lies using misleading words.
3. How does Chapter 2 end?
(a) With a poem about Mon-o-lah and The Way.
(b) With a poem about love of nature.
(c) With a poem about the animals.
(d) With a poem about the sunrise on the mountain.
4. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A tax on whiskey.
(b) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(c) A tax on Cherokee lands.
(d) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
5. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
(a) Chasing ground rats.
(b) Climbing trees.
(c) Setting a trap for turkeys.
(d) Swooping down to kill a quail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Little Tree's description of the woods around his new home reveal about his attitude to the surroundings?
3. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
4. Which books are Granma's favorites to read?
5. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 5?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)