|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the early chapters of the book, what kind of education is Little Tree receiving from his grandparents?
(a) An education that is limited to the Cherokee way of life.
(b) A varied and practical education.
(c) An education about responsibility.
(d) An education about becoming a hunter.
2. At the beginning of the chapter "The Farm in the Clearing", what inhuman scene does Granpa describe to Little Tree?
(a) He sees a man beating a woman and two children.
(b) He sees soldiers abusing the children.
(c) He sees a man with a stump for a leg being beaten by soldiers.
(d) He sees a man and woman wearing leather harnesses and pulling a plow like mules.
3. What change does Little Tree make that demonstrates how much he has learned from the loss of the money spent on the calf?
(a) He resolves to give his money to Granma to keep.
(b) He resolves to give Granpa his money to keep.
(c) He resolves to bury his money in his secret place.
(d) He resolves to keep his extra money in his fruit jar instead of in his pocket.
4. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
(a) Little Tree's Education.
(b) Winter Evenings at the Cabin.
(c) Granpa Learns to Read.
(d) Family Circles.
5. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the government against foreigners.
(b) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
(c) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
(d) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Smokehouse and what role does he play in Chapter 7?
2. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
3. How does Granpa's disposal of the whiskey demonstrate that he is observing the lessons he teaches Little Tree about nature's ways?
4. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
5. How does Mr. Wine assure Little Tree that he is getting a good education?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)