|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Wine's death shed light on the previous incident in which he prays and then walks away without acknowledging Little Tree's gratitude for the yellow coat?
(a) It makes it clear that Mr. Wine knows he is about to die and has no relatives to tell.
(b) It makes it clear that Mr. Wine wants to die alone.
(c) It makes it clear that Mr. Wine is losing his mind.
(d) It makes it clear that Mr. Wine knows he is going to die and wants to express his special feeling for Little Tree.
2. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
(a) A warm coat.
(b) A bag to take his food.
(c) A hat to protect him from the sun.
(d) Boot moccasins.
3. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
(a) They are motivated to provide help.
(b) They are prejudiced against the black man at the farm.
(c) They believe they have no right to be there.
(d) They are concerned about the children.
4. Which three people does Little Tree learn about from Granpa's stories in Chapter 5?
(a) Uncle Coon, Papa Jack and Pa.
(b) Jack, Papa and Uncle.
(c) An uncle who gets in trouble with women, granpa's pa and Coon Jack.
(d) Uncle, Pa and Bonnie Bee.
5. In the early chapters of the book, what kind of education is Little Tree receiving from his grandparents?
(a) An education about becoming a hunter.
(b) An education that is limited to the Cherokee way of life.
(c) An education about responsibility.
(d) A varied and practical education.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he goes up the trail, how does Little Tree become aware of "Mon-o-lah", the earth mother?
2. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
3. According to Granpa's story about the farm, who was in charge of the land when Granpa was growing up?
4. How does the author establish Granma's resourcefulness in Chapter 12?
5. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 5?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)