|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
(b) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
(c) Severe snow storms.
(d) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
2. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
(a) The sharecropper tells Granpa to keep his grandson away from his daughter.
(b) The sharecropper forbids his daughter to speak to Little Tree.
(c) The sharecropper chastises his daughter for talking to Little Tree.
(d) The sharecropper whips his daughter's legs and tells her to give back the moccasins Little Tree gives to her.
3. How does the author reveal that the policeman might be wrong to put the driver of the black car in jail?
(a) The policeman takes the visitor's word that the driver is speeding.
(b) The policeman does not read the driver his rights.
(c) The policeman throws the driver of the car in jail for saying he is from Chicago when the license plate says Illinois, but Chicago is in Illinois.
(d) The policeman does not allow the driver to explain himself properly.
4. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
(a) When a family loses all their furniture in a fire, Granpa brings them a chair and shows the man how to make it himself.
(b) Instead of giving people money, he offers to teach them how to make whiskey.
(c) Granpa gives no one anything; instead he offers to teach them how to plow the land for food.
(d) Granpa brings whiskey for the poor so they can learn how to sell it and save extra money.
5. What is the unique mark on Granpa's whiskey jar?
(a) A mark to remind him of his Scottish ancestry.
(b) A mark shaped like the fox.
(c) A mark shaped like a tomahawk.
(d) A mark shaped like the whiskey still.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why does Granpa say that Little Tree looks like he is becoming a man?
2. In Chapter 2, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he has learned Granpa's lesson about nature's ways?
3. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
4. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
5. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)