|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From the incident with the black car, what is revealed about Granpa's attitude towards words?
(a) Granpa finds words helpful in understanding other people.
(b) Granpa wants Little Tree to learn many new words.
(c) Granpa thinks there are too many words and he prefers the sound of speech rather than the words used.
(d) Granpa is eager to learn new words.
2. How does the incident with the fox and hounds affect the relationship between Granpa and Little Tree?
(a) It continues to deepen the growing bond between Granpa and Little Tree.
(b) It damages the relationship between Granpa and Little Tree.
(c) It causes Little Tree to fear Granpa.
(d) It has no effect on the relationship.
3. What does the woman in the black car ask when she stops Little Tree and Granpa on their way back from the settlement?
(a) The way to Chattanooga.
(b) If they want a ride home.
(c) The way to the cabin.
(d) The way to the church.
4. How does the author establish Granma's resourcefulness in Chapter 12?
(a) She uses a Cherokee cry to alert other mountain people to the problem.
(b) She quickly takes charge of the situation and does everything that's necessary to make things right.
(c) She hurries Little Tree and Granpa to the cabin where she quickly finds remedies.
(d) She sends Little Tree to the neighboring cabin to get help.
5. Which two incidents destroy Granpa's hope of being able to keep Little Tree?
(a) Mr. Taylor refuses to help Granpa, and Willow John dies so he cannot be a witness.
(b) Mr. Wine's death means he cannot testify to Little Tree's education, and Mr. Taylor, the lawyer says he can't help Granpa.
(c) Mr. Jenkins refuses to lend Granpa the money for the lawyer, and Granma says she agrees that Little Tree should go.
(d) Pine Billy refuses to testify and Little Tree accidentally reveals he has been making whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Granpa help Little Tree overcome feeling empty and sad after Ringer's death?
2. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
3. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
4. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
5. In Chapter 7, why does Granpa say that Little Tree looks like he is becoming a man?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)