|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it significant that Granpa reminds Little Tree in Chapter 10 about the importance of paying attention to people's tone and not just their words?
(a) Because Little Tree is getting older and facing new challenges.
(b) Because Granpa knows that a politician will be visiting.
(c) Because shortly after the reminder, Little Tree is tricked by a "Christian" using misleading words.
(d) Because Granpa knows that there is trouble coming.
2. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
(a) Granpa gives no one anything; instead he offers to teach them how to plow the land for food.
(b) When a family loses all their furniture in a fire, Granpa brings them a chair and shows the man how to make it himself.
(c) Granpa brings whiskey for the poor so they can learn how to sell it and save extra money.
(d) Instead of giving people money, he offers to teach them how to make whiskey.
3. How do the two men from Chattanooga make fun of Little Tree?
(a) They call him uneducated.
(b) They call him an unpleasant name because he does not recollect his father.
(c) They tease him about belonging nowhere.
(d) They laugh at his moccasins.
4. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
(a) For his skills at trailing animals and his sense of instinct.
(b) For the lessons he teaches Little Tree.
(c) For his love of nature.
(d) Because he is knowledgeable about the mountains.
5. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
(a) He sees smoke signals across the mountain.
(b) He hears the Indians whispering in the mountains.
(c) He sees the remains of fires and cooked meat.
(d) After leaving certain items in the forest, he comes back to find a long Indian knife, a tomahawk and only some of what he left.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
2. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
3. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
4. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
5. What is the meaning of the red flag planted on the land by the regulators?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)