|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
(a) It is the only church so it services various faiths, including Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Church of Christ.
(b) The church only allows Cherokee to sit at the back.
(c) It is the only church so the preacher uses many different languages.
(d) The church is only open for services once per month.
2. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
(a) The author suggests that he is not very generous, but Little Tree thinks he is kind.
(b) The author suggests that he is spying on how Little Tree is being brought up, but Little Tree thinks he is a true friend.
(c) The author suggests that he is not a sincere friend of the family, but Little Tree trusts him.
(d) The author suggests that he is always making up stories and schemes, but Little Tree thinks he is wise and successful.
3. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
(a) Because it is beginning to spill oil.
(b) Because it is getting heavy.
(c) To avoid the smell.
(d) Because Granpa teaches him that when spoken to, he should give full attention out of respect.
4. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
(a) The oppressed should fight back even if it causes more deaths.
(b) Oppressed people can remain strong and proud.
(c) The oppressed should surrender in order to save lives.
(d) The oppressed will always turn against each other in order to escape death.
5. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
(a) A bible so that Little Tree can read more about the lessons he hears at church.
(b) A special book about nature because Little Tree's grandparents want him to love nature.
(c) A book about the Cherokees so that Little Tree can learn his heritage.
(d) A dictionary because Little Tree has to learn five words every week.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
2. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
3. How does Little Tree's innocence and trust lead him to lose his money?
4. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
5. In his reaction to this visitor, what characteristics does Little Tree display that he will have to overcome in order to avoid difficulties with some people outside his family?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)