|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
(a) It symbolizes the destruction of the mountain trail.
(b) It symbolizes Granpa's last trip to the mountain trail.
(c) It symbolizes Mr. Wine's last trip to the cabin.
(d) It symbolizes the end of Little Tree's adventures on the mountain when he must come down to the reality of separation from his family.
2. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
(a) Because he does not watch out for the hawk.
(b) Because he eats too much and falls asleep.
(c) Because he leaves his surroundings unprotected.
(d) For taking more than he needs from nature.
3. In what two ways does the author introduce humor in the incident with the two men from Chattanooga?
(a) By describing how Little Tree outwits them and sends them running from the hounds.
(b) By describing how Little Tree sets the hounds on them and they are chased into the freezing river.
(c) By describing how the men fall into poison ivy and how Granma cooks them fish with roots that cause diarrhea.
(d) By describing how Granpa leads them to the edge of the cliff and taunts them until they beg for forgiveness.
4. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A tax on whiskey.
(b) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
(c) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(d) A tax on Cherokee lands.
5. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(b) They go to church.
(c) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
(d) They make rugs from the deer hide.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
2. What does the incident between Little Tree and the lawmen on the mountain demonstrate about Little Tree?
3. Why does Mr. Wine light a candle at a special time?
4. Which three people does Little Tree learn about from Granpa's stories in Chapter 5?
5. In the incident with the two men from Chattanooga, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he is becoming clever and less trusting?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)