|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way do the events in Chapter 18 represent a major turning point in the novel?
(a) It begins the situation that turns Little Tree against his grandparents.
(b) It starts the legal battle between the state and Granpa for Little Tree.
(c) It sets in motion a series of events that will bring an end to Little Tree's life with his grandparents.
(d) It is the beginning of Little Tree's life as a teenager.
2. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
(a) As an incident of shame and cowardice.
(b) As an incident of fierce aggression by the Cherokee.
(c) As an incident of cruelty in which the Cherokee displayed pride.
(d) As an incident of cruelty from which the Cherokee never recovered.
3. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(b) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(c) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(d) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
4. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
(a) The author suggests that he is not very generous, but Little Tree thinks he is kind.
(b) The author suggests that he is spying on how Little Tree is being brought up, but Little Tree thinks he is a true friend.
(c) The author suggests that he is always making up stories and schemes, but Little Tree thinks he is wise and successful.
(d) The author suggests that he is not a sincere friend of the family, but Little Tree trusts him.
5. How is Granpa's approach to making whiskey different from that of the "city criminals" who just want to make money?
(a) Granpa only uses sugar to increase the volume.
(b) Granpa only uses lye to increase the volume.
(c) Granpa puts nothing in his whiskey to increase volume while others add various substances to increase the volume.
(d) Granpa only uses water to increase the volume.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Little Tree especially proud of in Chapter 9?
2. In the incident with the two men from Chattanooga, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he is becoming clever and less trusting?
3. How does Little Tree's innocence and trust lead him to lose his money?
4. What is Granpa's reason for taking Little Tree on this walk up the trail?
5. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 4?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)