|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Granpa's story about the farm, who was in charge of the land when Granpa was growing up?
(a) The Confederates were in charge of the land.
(b) The land was occupied by Union soldiers and run by politicians.
(c) The Cherokees were in charge of the land.
(d) Granpa's family had the run of the land.
2. What dangerous adventure gives Chapter 12 its title?
(a) Granpa is bitten by a bear.
(b) Little Tree is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(c) Granpa is bitten by a rattlesnake from which he rescues Little Tree.
(d) Little Tree is bitten by a bear.
3. What does the author imply might be the reason for the special bond that exists between Mr. Wine and Little Tree's family?
(a) That they have both experienced prejudice and exclusion.
(b) That they both have lost their "Nation" and have relatives scattered all over.
(c) That they both place a great emphasis on education.
(d) Thay they have both lost many relatives.
4. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
(a) The author describes the mountain and then changes the setting to the busy square at the settlement.
(b) The author brings the excited policeman dressed in his city clothes into the cabin where everyone is calm and dressed in traditional clothes.
(c) The author contrasts the plow with the fast black car driven by the visitor.
(d) The author describes the routine, laborious work on the land and later shows readers a colorful visitor talking about cars, criminals and money-making schemes.
5. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
(a) Little Tree and Granpa collect them from the library at the settlement.
(b) Granma reads books that Little Tree brings them from the school at the settlement.
(c) Granma reads books that Little Tree brought with him from his parents' home.
(d) Granma buys books at the settlement store.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author establish Granma's resourcefulness in Chapter 12?
2. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
3. Which three people does Little Tree learn about from Granpa's stories in Chapter 5?
4. How do the events in Chapter 12 demonstrate the importance of Granma's knowledge of plants and herbs?
5. How does the author reveal Granpa's sense of humor even during this dangerous adventure?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)