|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Wine assure Little Tree that he is getting a good education?
(a) He says children of Little Tree's age have never heard of Shakespeare.
(b) He says most children of Little Tree's age have learned nothing about farming and hunting.
(c) He says most children of Little Tree's age know nothing about Macbeth and Napoleon.
(d) He says most children of Little Tree's age do not learn five words per week.
2. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
(a) Granpa teaches Little Tree that people who store and take more than their share contribute to wars, land-grabbing and changing nature's ways.
(b) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause others to starve.
(c) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause jealousy.
(d) Granpa says that people who take more than their share do better than others.
3. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
(a) That Granpa has a natural ability to understand what is going on among the animals during the chase.
(b) That Granpa has common sense.
(c) That Granpa knows the trail very well.
(d) That Granpa is able to smell the animals from far away.
4. In the early chapters of the book, what kind of education is Little Tree receiving from his grandparents?
(a) An education that is limited to the Cherokee way of life.
(b) An education about responsibility.
(c) An education about becoming a hunter.
(d) A varied and practical education.
5. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
(a) They plant their nation's flag where every Cherokee is buried.
(b) They sing brave songs on the journey.
(c) They fight back and repel the soldiers.
(d) They look straight ahead as they march and refuse rides in the soldiers' wagons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 4?
2. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
3. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
4. What does the reader learn about Granpa from his reaction to the lady in the black car who is rude to him?
5. According to Granpa's story about the farm, who was in charge of the land when Granpa was growing up?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)