|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, "A Dangerous Adventure".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is this visitor in Chapter 7 hoping to become rich?
(a) Through a reward from the police for turning in a stolen black car.
(b) By winning a writing competition and through a reward for alerting the police to the existence of a big criminal.
(c) Through a prize in a competition at the settlement.
(d) By selling a large piece of land to the government and then earn interest at the bank.
2. What is Little Tree planning to do with the extra coins he is keeping in his pocket from his savings?
(a) Buy a dictionary to learn new words.
(b) Buy candy for the sharecropper's daughter.
(c) Buy a candy box for Granma's Christmas present.
(d) Buy a hat for Granpa.
3. Who is Smokehouse and what role does he play in Chapter 7?
(a) The policeman who investigates the claim made by the visitor about an alleged criminal.
(b) The friend who gives the visitor a ride to the cabin.
(c) A half-Cherokee who burns wood for the coal oil lamp.
(d) The partner who works with the visitor to write the entry for the competition.
4. What dangerous adventure gives Chapter 12 its title?
(a) Little Tree is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(b) Granpa is bitten by a bear.
(c) Granpa is bitten by a rattlesnake from which he rescues Little Tree.
(d) Little Tree is bitten by a bear.
5. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
(a) She doesn't want to upset Little Tree.
(b) She wants Granpa to have someone to admire.
(c) She thinks Granpa will get angry.
(d) She doesn't want Little Tree exposed to violent stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the incident with the black car, what is revealed about Granpa's attitude towards words?
2. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
3. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
4. In Chapter 10 how does the author demonstrate that Little Tree has a conscience?
5. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)