|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
(a) He hears the Indians whispering in the mountains.
(b) He sees smoke signals across the mountain.
(c) After leaving certain items in the forest, he comes back to find a long Indian knife, a tomahawk and only some of what he left.
(d) He sees the remains of fires and cooked meat.
2. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
(a) The church only allows Cherokee to sit at the back.
(b) It is the only church so it services various faiths, including Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Church of Christ.
(c) The church is only open for services once per month.
(d) It is the only church so the preacher uses many different languages.
3. What do Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter have in common?
(a) Both are being deprived of education.
(b) Both are poor.
(c) Both live off the land and have a strong sense of pride.
(d) Both are exposed to the challenges of being young in an adult world.
4. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
(a) The oppressed should surrender in order to save lives.
(b) The oppressed will always turn against each other in order to escape death.
(c) Oppressed people can remain strong and proud.
(d) The oppressed should fight back even if it causes more deaths.
5. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
(b) Severe snow storms.
(c) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
(d) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Trail of Tears?
2. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
3. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
4. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
5. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)