|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
(a) So he will know about his relatives.
(b) Because it will help him understand the Cherokee ways.
(c) Because he will have to teach his own children about the past.
(d) Because without understanding his past, he will not understand his future.
2. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(b) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(c) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(d) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
3. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
(a) He tells Granpa to continue to fight for the Nation.
(b) He tells Granpa it is time to surrender and end the fighting.
(c) He tells Granpa to remember his heritage and pass it on to other Cherokee.
(d) He reminds Granpa about kin and the fact that the mountains will not change and Pa tells him how much he cares for him.
4. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
(a) He rants and raves about whiskey makers.
(b) He talks a lot about Pharisees or separates, while looking and pointing straight at Granpa's family.
(c) He talks with contempt about the Cherokee.
(d) He talks with contempt about the Catholics.
5. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
(a) The Lost People.
(c) Survival of the Strong.
(d) Understanding the Past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
2. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
3. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
4. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
5. What change does Little Tree make that demonstrates how much he has learned from the loss of the money spent on the calf?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)