|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
(a) They don't fully understand what the church is about and are confused about the Bible stories.
(b) They are very involved in the church teachings and make certain they discuss the Bible stories for full understanding.
(c) Granpa leaves this part of Little Tree's lessons to Granma.
(d) Granpa doesn't believe any of it but he wants Little Tree to work it out for himself.
2. What change does Little Tree make that demonstrates how much he has learned from the loss of the money spent on the calf?
(a) He resolves to give Granpa his money to keep.
(b) He resolves to give his money to Granma to keep.
(c) He resolves to keep his extra money in his fruit jar instead of in his pocket.
(d) He resolves to bury his money in his secret place.
3. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
(a) The Cherokee have to stand at the back door and listen to the service.
(b) The preacher gives preferential treatment to the rich Episcopalian family who gives a whole dollar for collection.
(c) The Episcopalians are the only ones who can participate in decisions about the church.
(d) Cherokee children are not allowed at Sunday School.
4. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
(a) Granpa gives no one anything; instead he offers to teach them how to plow the land for food.
(b) Instead of giving people money, he offers to teach them how to make whiskey.
(c) Granpa brings whiskey for the poor so they can learn how to sell it and save extra money.
(d) When a family loses all their furniture in a fire, Granpa brings them a chair and shows the man how to make it himself.
5. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
(b) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
(c) Severe snow storms.
(d) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
2. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
3. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
4. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
5. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)