|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
(a) Cherokee children are not allowed at Sunday School.
(b) The Cherokee have to stand at the back door and listen to the service.
(c) The Episcopalians are the only ones who can participate in decisions about the church.
(d) The preacher gives preferential treatment to the rich Episcopalian family who gives a whole dollar for collection.
2. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
(a) The church is only open for services once per month.
(b) The church only allows Cherokee to sit at the back.
(c) It is the only church so it services various faiths, including Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Church of Christ.
(d) It is the only church so the preacher uses many different languages.
3. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(b) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(c) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(d) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
4. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He moves them closer to where he lives.
(b) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
(c) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
(d) He moves into their camp.
5. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
(a) As an incident of cruelty in which the Cherokee displayed pride.
(b) As an incident of cruelty from which the Cherokee never recovered.
(c) As an incident of shame and cowardice.
(d) As an incident of fierce aggression by the Cherokee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
2. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
3. What is the Trail of Tears?
4. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
5. What change does Little Tree make that demonstrates how much he has learned from the loss of the money spent on the calf?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)