|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
(a) Granpa reduces Little Tree's stake in the business.
(b) Granpa sends him to find the man who sold him the calf and demand his money.
(c) Granpa makes Little Tree go without his earnings for the next two weeks.
(d) Granpa makes Little Tree write down on paper how much he spent and lost.
2. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
(a) The sharecropper forbids his daughter to speak to Little Tree.
(b) The sharecropper chastises his daughter for talking to Little Tree.
(c) The sharecropper tells Granpa to keep his grandson away from his daughter.
(d) The sharecropper whips his daughter's legs and tells her to give back the moccasins Little Tree gives to her.
3. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He moves them closer to where he lives.
(b) He moves into their camp.
(c) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
(d) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
4. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(b) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(c) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(d) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
5. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
(a) As an incident of shame and cowardice.
(b) As an incident of fierce aggression by the Cherokee.
(c) As an incident of cruelty in which the Cherokee displayed pride.
(d) As an incident of cruelty from which the Cherokee never recovered.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
2. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
3. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
4. What do Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter have in common?
5. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)