|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
(a) Granpa leaves this part of Little Tree's lessons to Granma.
(b) They don't fully understand what the church is about and are confused about the Bible stories.
(c) They are very involved in the church teachings and make certain they discuss the Bible stories for full understanding.
(d) Granpa doesn't believe any of it but he wants Little Tree to work it out for himself.
2. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(b) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(c) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(d) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
3. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
(b) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
(c) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
(d) Severe snow storms.
4. What change does Little Tree make that demonstrates how much he has learned from the loss of the money spent on the calf?
(a) He resolves to give his money to Granma to keep.
(b) He resolves to bury his money in his secret place.
(c) He resolves to keep his extra money in his fruit jar instead of in his pocket.
(d) He resolves to give Granpa his money to keep.
5. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
(a) Instead of giving people money, he offers to teach them how to make whiskey.
(b) Granpa gives no one anything; instead he offers to teach them how to plow the land for food.
(c) Granpa brings whiskey for the poor so they can learn how to sell it and save extra money.
(d) When a family loses all their furniture in a fire, Granpa brings them a chair and shows the man how to make it himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
2. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
3. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
4. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
5. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)