|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
(a) He says some countries treat other countries like dogs because they give them handouts.
(b) He says people who like to give charity are like some countries who help other countries and then run their affairs.
(c) He says some people who take handouts are like some countries that depend on other countries like dogs.
(d) He says people who take and give handouts are like some countries that like people to be dependent on them so they can treat them like dogs.
2. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
(b) Understanding the Past.
(c) Survival of the Strong.
(d) The Lost People.
3. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
(b) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
(c) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
(d) He fights for the government against foreigners.
4. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
(a) Granpa reduces Little Tree's stake in the business.
(b) Granpa makes Little Tree write down on paper how much he spent and lost.
(c) Granpa makes Little Tree go without his earnings for the next two weeks.
(d) Granpa sends him to find the man who sold him the calf and demand his money.
5. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
(a) The sharecropper chastises his daughter for talking to Little Tree.
(b) The sharecropper whips his daughter's legs and tells her to give back the moccasins Little Tree gives to her.
(c) The sharecropper tells Granpa to keep his grandson away from his daughter.
(d) The sharecropper forbids his daughter to speak to Little Tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
2. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
3. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
4. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
5. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)