|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use symbols on caves.
(b) They use a special writing system.
(c) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(d) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
2. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
(a) Granpa leaves this part of Little Tree's lessons to Granma.
(b) They are very involved in the church teachings and make certain they discuss the Bible stories for full understanding.
(c) Granpa doesn't believe any of it but he wants Little Tree to work it out for himself.
(d) They don't fully understand what the church is about and are confused about the Bible stories.
3. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
(a) The sharecropper tells Granpa to keep his grandson away from his daughter.
(b) The sharecropper chastises his daughter for talking to Little Tree.
(c) The sharecropper forbids his daughter to speak to Little Tree.
(d) The sharecropper whips his daughter's legs and tells her to give back the moccasins Little Tree gives to her.
4. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He moves into their camp.
(b) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
(c) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
(d) He moves them closer to where he lives.
5. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
(a) He says people who take and give handouts are like some countries that like people to be dependent on them so they can treat them like dogs.
(b) He says people who like to give charity are like some countries who help other countries and then run their affairs.
(c) He says some people who take handouts are like some countries that depend on other countries like dogs.
(d) He says some countries treat other countries like dogs because they give them handouts.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
2. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
3. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
4. What do Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter have in common?
5. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)