|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(b) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(c) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(d) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
2. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
(a) He says some countries treat other countries like dogs because they give them handouts.
(b) He says people who take and give handouts are like some countries that like people to be dependent on them so they can treat them like dogs.
(c) He says people who like to give charity are like some countries who help other countries and then run their affairs.
(d) He says some people who take handouts are like some countries that depend on other countries like dogs.
3. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use a special writing system.
(b) They use symbols on caves.
(c) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(d) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
4. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
(a) The Cherokee have to stand at the back door and listen to the service.
(b) The Episcopalians are the only ones who can participate in decisions about the church.
(c) The preacher gives preferential treatment to the rich Episcopalian family who gives a whole dollar for collection.
(d) Cherokee children are not allowed at Sunday School.
5. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
(a) They plant their nation's flag where every Cherokee is buried.
(b) They look straight ahead as they march and refuse rides in the soldiers' wagons.
(c) They fight back and repel the soldiers.
(d) They sing brave songs on the journey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
2. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
3. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
4. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
5. What change does Little Tree make that demonstrates how much he has learned from the loss of the money spent on the calf?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)