|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(b) They use a special writing system.
(c) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
(d) They use symbols on caves.
2. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
(a) The church is only open for services once per month.
(b) It is the only church so it services various faiths, including Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Church of Christ.
(c) The church only allows Cherokee to sit at the back.
(d) It is the only church so the preacher uses many different languages.
3. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
(a) Understanding the Past.
(b) The Lost People.
(d) Survival of the Strong.
4. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
(a) The oppressed will always turn against each other in order to escape death.
(b) The oppressed should fight back even if it causes more deaths.
(c) The oppressed should surrender in order to save lives.
(d) Oppressed people can remain strong and proud.
5. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
(a) As an incident of fierce aggression by the Cherokee.
(b) As an incident of cruelty from which the Cherokee never recovered.
(c) As an incident of cruelty in which the Cherokee displayed pride.
(d) As an incident of shame and cowardice.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
2. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
3. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
4. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
5. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)