|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
(b) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
(c) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
(d) Severe snow storms.
2. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
(a) They are very involved in the church teachings and make certain they discuss the Bible stories for full understanding.
(b) Granpa doesn't believe any of it but he wants Little Tree to work it out for himself.
(c) Granpa leaves this part of Little Tree's lessons to Granma.
(d) They don't fully understand what the church is about and are confused about the Bible stories.
3. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He moves them closer to where he lives.
(b) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
(c) He moves into their camp.
(d) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
4. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
(a) When a family loses all their furniture in a fire, Granpa brings them a chair and shows the man how to make it himself.
(b) Instead of giving people money, he offers to teach them how to make whiskey.
(c) Granpa gives no one anything; instead he offers to teach them how to plow the land for food.
(d) Granpa brings whiskey for the poor so they can learn how to sell it and save extra money.
5. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(b) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(c) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(d) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
2. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
3. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
4. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
5. What is the Trail of Tears?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)