|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use symbols on caves.
(b) They use a special writing system.
(c) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
(d) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
2. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
(b) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
(c) Severe snow storms.
(d) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
3. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
(b) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
(c) He fights for the government against foreigners.
(d) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
4. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(b) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(c) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(d) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
5. Referring to people who like to take and give handouts, what similarity does Granpa describe between some people and some countries?
(a) He says some countries treat other countries like dogs because they give them handouts.
(b) He says people who like to give charity are like some countries who help other countries and then run their affairs.
(c) He says people who take and give handouts are like some countries that like people to be dependent on them so they can treat them like dogs.
(d) He says some people who take handouts are like some countries that depend on other countries like dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
2. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
3. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
4. What change does Little Tree make that demonstrates how much he has learned from the loss of the money spent on the calf?
5. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)