|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
(a) The sharecropper chastises his daughter for talking to Little Tree.
(b) The sharecropper whips his daughter's legs and tells her to give back the moccasins Little Tree gives to her.
(c) The sharecropper tells Granpa to keep his grandson away from his daughter.
(d) The sharecropper forbids his daughter to speak to Little Tree.
2. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the government against foreigners.
(b) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
(c) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
(d) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
3. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He moves into their camp.
(b) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
(c) He moves them closer to where he lives.
(d) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
4. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
(a) The oppressed should surrender in order to save lives.
(b) Oppressed people can remain strong and proud.
(c) The oppressed will always turn against each other in order to escape death.
(d) The oppressed should fight back even if it causes more deaths.
5. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
(a) The Cherokee have to stand at the back door and listen to the service.
(b) The Episcopalians are the only ones who can participate in decisions about the church.
(c) Cherokee children are not allowed at Sunday School.
(d) The preacher gives preferential treatment to the rich Episcopalian family who gives a whole dollar for collection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
2. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
3. What is the Trail of Tears?
4. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
5. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)