|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
(a) Granpa brings whiskey for the poor so they can learn how to sell it and save extra money.
(b) When a family loses all their furniture in a fire, Granpa brings them a chair and shows the man how to make it himself.
(c) Granpa gives no one anything; instead he offers to teach them how to plow the land for food.
(d) Instead of giving people money, he offers to teach them how to make whiskey.
2. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
(b) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
(c) He fights for the government against foreigners.
(d) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
3. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
(a) The preacher gives preferential treatment to the rich Episcopalian family who gives a whole dollar for collection.
(b) The Episcopalians are the only ones who can participate in decisions about the church.
(c) The Cherokee have to stand at the back door and listen to the service.
(d) Cherokee children are not allowed at Sunday School.
4. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
(a) Survival of the Strong.
(b) The Lost People.
(c) Understanding the Past.
5. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
(b) He moves into their camp.
(c) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
(d) He moves them closer to where he lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
2. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
3. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
4. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
5. In Chapter 16, what does the author suggest about the importance of the church teachings to Granpa and Little Tree?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)