|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
(b) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
(c) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
(d) He fights for the government against foreigners.
2. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
(a) He moves into their camp.
(b) He eventually marries one of the young daughters.
(c) He moves them closer to where he lives.
(d) He advises them on how to remain safe from the soldiers.
3. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
(a) He tells Granpa to continue to fight for the Nation.
(b) He tells Granpa it is time to surrender and end the fighting.
(c) He reminds Granpa about kin and the fact that the mountains will not change and Pa tells him how much he cares for him.
(d) He tells Granpa to remember his heritage and pass it on to other Cherokee.
4. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(b) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(c) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(d) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
5. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
(a) Granpa brings whiskey for the poor so they can learn how to sell it and save extra money.
(b) Instead of giving people money, he offers to teach them how to make whiskey.
(c) Granpa gives no one anything; instead he offers to teach them how to plow the land for food.
(d) When a family loses all their furniture in a fire, Granpa brings them a chair and shows the man how to make it himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
2. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
3. What do Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter have in common?
4. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
5. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)