|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
(a) Granpa reduces Little Tree's stake in the business.
(b) Granpa sends him to find the man who sold him the calf and demand his money.
(c) Granpa makes Little Tree write down on paper how much he spent and lost.
(d) Granpa makes Little Tree go without his earnings for the next two weeks.
2. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
(a) They plant their nation's flag where every Cherokee is buried.
(b) They look straight ahead as they march and refuse rides in the soldiers' wagons.
(c) They fight back and repel the soldiers.
(d) They sing brave songs on the journey.
3. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) Severe snow storms.
(b) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
(c) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
(d) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
4. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
(a) Granpa brings whiskey for the poor so they can learn how to sell it and save extra money.
(b) When a family loses all their furniture in a fire, Granpa brings them a chair and shows the man how to make it himself.
(c) Granpa gives no one anything; instead he offers to teach them how to plow the land for food.
(d) Instead of giving people money, he offers to teach them how to make whiskey.
5. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
(a) He talks with contempt about the Cherokee.
(b) He rants and raves about whiskey makers.
(c) He talks a lot about Pharisees or separates, while looking and pointing straight at Granpa's family.
(d) He talks with contempt about the Catholics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
2. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
3. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
4. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
5. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)