|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "Church-Going".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
(a) Because he will have to teach his own children about the past.
(b) Because it will help him understand the Cherokee ways.
(c) So he will know about his relatives.
(d) Because without understanding his past, he will not understand his future.
2. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(b) They use symbols on caves.
(c) They use a special writing system.
(d) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
3. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
(a) The preacher gives preferential treatment to the rich Episcopalian family who gives a whole dollar for collection.
(b) The Episcopalians are the only ones who can participate in decisions about the church.
(c) Cherokee children are not allowed at Sunday School.
(d) The Cherokee have to stand at the back door and listen to the service.
4. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
(b) Severe snow storms.
(c) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
(d) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
5. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
(a) He reminds Granpa about kin and the fact that the mountains will not change and Pa tells him how much he cares for him.
(b) He tells Granpa to continue to fight for the Nation.
(c) He tells Granpa it is time to surrender and end the fighting.
(d) He tells Granpa to remember his heritage and pass it on to other Cherokee.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
2. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
3. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
4. What is the Trail of Tears?
5. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)