|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what Indian reservation was Mancos Canyon located?
2. What book did L'Amour mention that was a somewhat pornographic Chinese novel?
3. Who wrote "The Mississippi Valley Frontier"?
4. On the U.S.S. Boise returning from France, where was the boy from who fascinated L'Amour with tales of his experiences in Burma and India?
5. How old did Chris Madsen live to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the brother and sister L'Amour met in Shanghai.
2. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
3. What were some social activities that were popular in the West?
4. What was the New Madrid earthquake?
5. Who was Bodhidharma?
6. When L'Amour began his writing career, how did he write?
7. Who was Singapore Charlie?
8. Why did L'Amour regret not stealing some books?
9. What was Nalanda University?
10. Why was infection rare in the earliest days in the mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, L'Amour heard many a tale while wandering from job to job. Discuss the tales L'Amour heard and lessons he learned.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 21, after L'Amour listened to a speech where the man stumbled and foundered and everyone suffered with the speaker, L'Amour decided he need to learn how to speak in public. Discuss why and how L'Amour became a public speaker.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss L'Amour mean when he said that t a writer's brain was like a magician's hat.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)