|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did it take for Flaubert to complete "Madame Bovary"?
2. In ancient times, how many ships a day might sail from the Red Sea coast of Egypt to India?
3. How old did Chris Madsen live to be?
4. When did the Rev. Andrew Burnaby write "Through the Middle Settlements of North America"?
5. What country was Chris Madsen from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the New Madrid earthquake?
2. How did L'Amour believe that young people who loitered in the streets or gathered in gangs could find their way in the world?
3. Why did a woman want a dentist to set a diamond in one of her front teeth?
4. What was L'Amour's experience at Weepah?
5. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
6. Why didn't L'Amour ever work on a story with anyone?
7. In Chapter 21, how did L'Amour get a typewriter?
8. How did L'Amour believe that a people group could be understood?
9. What were some social activities that were popular in the West?
10. How did L'Amour learn about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 22, L'Amour mentioned that he preferred to use primary sources. Discuss the difference between primary and secondary sources and why L'Amour preferred primary sources.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 21, after L'Amour listened to a speech where the man stumbled and foundered and everyone suffered with the speaker, L'Amour decided he need to learn how to speak in public. Discuss why and how L'Amour became a public speaker.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, L'Amour began riding the rails with other hobos. Compare and contrast some of the men L'Amour met when riding the rails.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)