|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote a law book that was the key to much western law?
2. Who wrote the quotation at the beginning of Chapter 25?
3. How many days did it take when L'Amour and his fellow officers traveled on the U.S.S. Boise to get from Europe to the U.S. .
4. How long was the sailing season from Egypt to India?
5. Who wrote "The Mississippi Valley Frontier"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did L'Amour regret not stealing some books?
2. Why didn't L'Amour ever work on a story with anyone?
3. When L'Amour settled down to write, what three categories was the magazine field divided into?
4. Once L'Amour could no longer find the books he wanted in library, where did he have to find books?
5. Who was John Mackay? .
6. Who was Billy Dixon?
7. Who was Bodhidharma?
8. Why was infection rare in the earliest days in the mountains?
9. How was L'Amour first able to learn the stories from Iran's great Book of Kings?
10. Why was L'Amour impressed by the memories of Arabs during the Middle Ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 22, L'Amour mentioned that he preferred to use primary sources. Discuss the difference between primary and secondary sources and why L'Amour preferred primary sources.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8 L'Amour discussed how writers learn their trade. Discuss L'Amour's view of writing and his efforts to write.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 21, after L'Amour listened to a speech where the man stumbled and foundered and everyone suffered with the speaker, L'Amour decided he need to learn how to speak in public. Discuss why and how L'Amour became a public speaker.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)