|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did L'Amour settle down to try to become a writer?
2. When did Kumarajiva reach China?
3. In what desert did L'Amour believe that the remains of an ancient civilization might be discovered?
4. Where did L'Amour attend Officers' Candidate School?
5. How many days did it usually take the U.S.S. Boise to travel from Europe to the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did L'Amour learn about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
2. What is the plot of L'Amour's story "The Walking Drum"?
3. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
4. Why did L'Amour regret not stealing some books?
5. Who was Bodhidharma?
6. Who was Singapore Charlie?
7. Who was Billy Dixon?
8. After World War II when L'Amour was living in Los Angeles, where would L'Amour often go?
9. Who was John Mackay? .
10. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8 L'Amour discussed how writers learn their trade. Discuss L'Amour's view of writing and his efforts to write.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 28, L'Amour stated that his book was a record of his search for knowledge. Discuss why the book was a record of L'Amour's search for knowledge.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11-12, L'Amour discussed how writers obtained ideas for their writing. Discuss some ways writers obtained ideas for writing.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)