|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How large is the desert of Taklamakan?
2. On one (and possibly) three sides of L'Amour's family, how many generations have been in America?
3. How many boys in L'Amour's Golden Gloves boxing team became novice champions in their divisions?
4. Where did L'Amour believe that a half-caste brother and sister he met in Shanghai died?
5. To whom did L'Amour believe the Roman soldiers sold their services and served as mercenaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was L'Amour impressed by the memories of Arabs during the Middle Ages?
2. After World War II when L'Amour was living in Los Angeles, where would L'Amour often go?
3. When L'Amour began his writing career, how did he write?
4. Who was Bodhidharma?
5. Why did L'Amour say that the western pioneers were select people?
6. How was L'Amour first able to learn the stories from Iran's great Book of Kings?
7. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
8. What was the New Madrid earthquake?
9. Who was Billy Dixon?
10. In Chapter 21, how did L'Amour get a typewriter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, L'Amour began riding the rails with other hobos. Compare and contrast some of the men L'Amour met when riding the rails.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss L'Amour mean when he said that t a writer's brain was like a magician's hat.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 28, L'Amour stated that his book was a record of his search for knowledge. Discuss why the book was a record of L'Amour's search for knowledge.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)