|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did L'Amour believe that a half-caste brother and sister he met in Shanghai died?
2. What book did L'Amour mention that was a somewhat pornographic Chinese novel?
3. When did Kumarajiva reach China?
4. When was Seri Turi Buana installed as king?
5. In ancient times, how many ships a day might sail from the Red Sea coast of Egypt to India?
Short Essay Questions
1. When L'Amour settled down to write, what three categories was the magazine field divided into?
2. Who was Billy Dixon?
3. Why was infection rare in the earliest days in the mountains?
4. Once L'Amour could no longer find the books he wanted in library, where did he have to find books?
5. What was L'Amour's experience at Weepah?
6. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
7. What was the New Madrid earthquake?
8. What is the plot of L'Amour's story "The Walking Drum"?
9. After World War II when L'Amour was living in Los Angeles, where would L'Amour often go?
10. What was Nalanda University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, L'Amour described the lives of men who were waiting for jobs at sea. Discuss how men who were unemployed sailors spent their time.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 25, L'Amour discussed his ranch. Discuss L'Amour's ranch and its value to him.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8 L'Amour discussed how writers learn their trade. Discuss L'Amour's view of writing and his efforts to write.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)