|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did L'Amour read by Malcom Rogers?
2. Who was one of the millionaires of the Comstock Lode that L'Amour said walked into Virginia City broken and left with $200 million?
3. While L'Amour was studying the Far East, how many books did he read in a year on the American West?
4. How many texts did Kumarajiva translate from Sanskrit into Chinese?
5. How old was Dixon when he came west?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't L'Amour ever work on a story with anyone?
2. Why was L'Amour impressed by the memories of Arabs during the Middle Ages?
3. How was L'Amour first able to learn the stories from Iran's great Book of Kings?
4. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
5. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
6. Describe the brother and sister L'Amour met in Shanghai.
7. What was Nalanda University?
8. How did L'Amour learn about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
9. After World War II when L'Amour was living in Los Angeles, where would L'Amour often go?
10. Why did a woman want a dentist to set a diamond in one of her front teeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, L'Amour described the lives of men who were waiting for jobs at sea. Discuss how men who were unemployed sailors spent their time.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, L'Amour drifted down to the sea for a job. Discuss L'Amour's experiences as a seaman.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, L'Amour took a job where he was totally alone. Discuss the job and how it affected those who worked there.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)