|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did David Buxton write that L'Amour read?
2. How many men did Alexander have in his army?
3. When did L'Amour sell his first short story for cash?
4. What was L'Amour's first motion picture?
5. When did L'Amour believe that the C.C. Brown translation of the "Sejarah Melayu" was written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Billy Dixon?
2. Why did L'Amour say that the western pioneers were select people?
3. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
4. What were some social activities that were popular in the West?
5. Why didn't L'Amour ever work on a story with anyone?
6. How was L'Amour first able to learn the stories from Iran's great Book of Kings?
7. How did L'Amour learn about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
8. Who was Singapore Charlie?
9. What was L'Amour's experience at Weepah?
10. Why was L'Amour impressed by the memories of Arabs during the Middle Ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss L'Amour mean when he said that t a writer's brain was like a magician's hat.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 22, L'Amour mentioned that he preferred to use primary sources. Discuss the difference between primary and secondary sources and why L'Amour preferred primary sources.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, L'Amour described the lives of men who were waiting for jobs at sea. Discuss how men who were unemployed sailors spent their time.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)