|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did L'Amour believe the Roman soldiers sold their services and served as mercenaries?
2. What book by Byron might have been found on L'Amour's bookshelves?
3. How many boys in L'Amour's Golden Gloves boxing team became novice champions in their divisions?
4. Who was one of the millionaires of the Comstock Lode that L'Amour said walked into Virginia City broken and left with $200 million?
5. Where did L'Amour's first contact in Shanghai come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was L'Amour impressed by the memories of Arabs during the Middle Ages?
2. When L'Amour settled down to write, what three categories was the magazine field divided into?
3. Why didn't L'Amour ever work on a story with anyone?
4. What is the plot of L'Amour's story "The Walking Drum"?
5. What were some social activities that were popular in the West?
6. Describe the brother and sister L'Amour met in Shanghai.
7. Why did a woman want a dentist to set a diamond in one of her front teeth?
8. How did L'Amour believe that a people group could be understood?
9. How was L'Amour first able to learn the stories from Iran's great Book of Kings?
10. Why did L'Amour say that the western pioneers were select people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, L'Amour began riding the rails with other hobos. Compare and contrast some of the men L'Amour met when riding the rails.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, L'Amour heard many a tale while wandering from job to job. Discuss the tales L'Amour heard and lessons he learned.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 1-2, L'Amour discusses his childhood. Discuss L'Amour's childhood experiences and how they influenced his life.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)