|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 22, what country did L'Amour mention that was invaded many times, but never invaded anyone?
2. Who wrote the quotation at the beginning of Chapter 25?
3. Where did L'Amour read "Taras Bulba"?
4. How many years did it take for Flaubert to complete "Madame Bovary"?
5. When was it said that paper was invented?
Short Essay Questions
1. After World War II when L'Amour was living in Los Angeles, where would L'Amour often go?
2. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
3. Why did L'Amour say that the western pioneers were select people?
4. What were some social activities that were popular in the West?
5. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
6. Why was L'Amour impressed by the memories of Arabs during the Middle Ages?
7. Once L'Amour could no longer find the books he wanted in library, where did he have to find books?
8. Describe the brother and sister L'Amour met in Shanghai.
9. When L'Amour began his writing career, how did he write?
10. What did L'Amour remember about reading one cold night in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 16, when L'Amour began dedicating his time to writing, there were three different types of markets for short stories. Discuss the different types of markets there were for short stories.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 21, after L'Amour listened to a speech where the man stumbled and foundered and everyone suffered with the speaker, L'Amour decided he need to learn how to speak in public. Discuss why and how L'Amour became a public speaker.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, L'Amour explained his views of what an education was and was not. Discuss L'Amour's definition and views of an education.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)