|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did L'Amour believe that the C.C. Brown translation of the "Sejarah Melayu" was written?
2. What book did L'Amour mention that was a somewhat pornographic Chinese novel?
3. What writer did L'Amour say led off fiction about the American frontier?
4. How many boys in L'Amour's Golden Gloves boxing team became novice champions in their divisions?
5. Who wrote "The Mississippi Valley Frontier"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did a woman want a dentist to set a diamond in one of her front teeth?
2. What did L'Amour remember about reading one cold night in Paris?
3. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
4. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
5. Who was Singapore Charlie?
6. Who was Bodhidharma?
7. Why did L'Amour regret not stealing some books?
8. Once L'Amour could no longer find the books he wanted in library, where did he have to find books?
9. Describe the brother and sister L'Amour met in Shanghai.
10. What was the New Madrid earthquake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, L'Amour took a job where he was totally alone. Discuss the job and how it affected those who worked there.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 11, L'Amour proposed that only someone who had learned much could appreciate his ignorance. Discuss why only someone who had learned much could appreciate his ignorance.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 21, after L'Amour listened to a speech where the man stumbled and foundered and everyone suffered with the speaker, L'Amour decided he need to learn how to speak in public. Discuss why and how L'Amour became a public speaker.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)