|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city was Oak Creek Canyon near?
2. Was the the name of L'Amour's first novel?
3. Where did L'Amour read "Taras Bulba"?
4. Where did L'Amour attend Officers' Candidate School?
5. When were the Wolfville stories written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did L'Amour believe that a people group could be understood?
2. When L'Amour settled down to write, what three categories was the magazine field divided into?
3. What was Nalanda University?
4. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
5. Who was Singapore Charlie?
6. Who was Billy Dixon?
7. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
8. Why did L'Amour say that the western pioneers were select people?
9. Why was infection rare in the earliest days in the mountains?
10. After World War II when L'Amour was living in Los Angeles, where would L'Amour often go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, L'Amour described the lives of men who were waiting for jobs at sea. Discuss how men who were unemployed sailors spent their time.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 25, L'Amour discussed his ranch. Discuss L'Amour's ranch and its value to him.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, L'Amour heard many a tale while wandering from job to job. Discuss the tales L'Amour heard and lessons he learned.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)