|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made up the core of Alexander's army?
2. What people group established themselves at Carthage and became a dominant power until destroyed by Rome.
3. When did L'Amour sell his first short story for cash?
4. Who wrote what L'Amour considered to be the best history of Japan?
5. Who wrote the quotation at the beginning of Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some social activities that were popular in the West?
2. How was L'Amour first able to learn the stories from Iran's great Book of Kings?
3. What was L'Amour's experience at Weepah?
4. Who was John Mackay? .
5. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
6. Once L'Amour could no longer find the books he wanted in library, where did he have to find books?
7. How did L'Amour learn about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
8. What was Nalanda University?
9. Why did L'Amour say that the western pioneers were select people?
10. When L'Amour settled down to write, what three categories was the magazine field divided into?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 16, when L'Amour began dedicating his time to writing, there were three different types of markets for short stories. Discuss the different types of markets there were for short stories.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, L'Amour began riding the rails with other hobos. Compare and contrast some of the men L'Amour met when riding the rails.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11, L'Amour proposed that only someone who had learned much could appreciate his ignorance. Discuss why only someone who had learned much could appreciate his ignorance.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)