|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what distance did Billy Dixon shoot an Indian off his horse?
2. At the end of Chapter 22, what country did L'Amour mention that was invaded many times, but never invaded anyone?
3. When was Seri Turi Buana installed as king?
4. Where did L'Amour settle down to try to become a writer?
5. On one (and possibly) three sides of L'Amour's family, how many generations have been in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did L'Amour remember about reading one cold night in Paris?
2. Who was Singapore Charlie?
3. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
4. What were some social activities that were popular in the West?
5. What is the plot of L'Amour's story "The Walking Drum"?
6. When L'Amour began his writing career, how did he write?
7. Who was John Mackay? .
8. Why was infection rare in the earliest days in the mountains?
9. After World War II when L'Amour was living in Los Angeles, where would L'Amour often go?
10. What was Nalanda University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 25, L'Amour discussed his ranch. Discuss L'Amour's ranch and its value to him.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, L'Amour heard many a tale while wandering from job to job. Discuss the tales L'Amour heard and lessons he learned.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 16, when L'Amour began dedicating his time to writing, there were three different types of markets for short stories. Discuss the different types of markets there were for short stories.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)