|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the old man have in the mine he wanted L'Amour to work in in Chapter 7?
2. When did Goethe finish the second part of "Faust"?
3. How old was Pete Boering when L'Amour met him?
4. How many books were in the reading room of the Seaman's Institute?
5. After L'Amour ate his only can of food, how far was it to the town where he was headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was L'Amour's view of education?
2. Why did L'Amour have to walk from Death Valley?
3. Describe the mine where L'Amour was to be a caretaker.
4. Before L'Amour ended up in Singapore, what were some jobs he had held?
5. What was old man Peterson's story?
6. How did L'Amour get away from the steelworker who expected L'Amour to take care of him?
7. How did Shorty Harris lose a rich claim?
8. What did L'Amour have to say about plots in stories?
9. Who had all the advantages when it comes to adventure?
10. Why didn't L'Amour look for a job right away when he got to Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 22, L'Amour mentioned that he preferred to use primary sources. Discuss the difference between primary and secondary sources and why L'Amour preferred primary sources.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 17, L'Amour wanted to learn more about Asia and Africa. Discuss why, what, and how L'Amour wanted to learn about Asia and Africa.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, L'Amour drifted down to the sea for a job. Discuss L'Amour's experiences as a seaman.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)