|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many volumes of books by Alexandre Dumas did L'Amour find on the shelves of the library?
2. Where did L'Amour go to high school?
3. What did the old man have in the mine he wanted L'Amour to work in in Chapter 7?
4. How many books were in the reading room of the Seaman's Institute?
5. At the time of the writing of the book, how long were L'Amour and the Irishman who loaned him money friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did L'Amour do when he finally got to Barstow after working on a mine claim?
2. Why did L'Amour have to walk from Death Valley?
3. What two reasons influenced L'Amour to drop out of school?
4. What would L'Amour do after being paid for skinning cattle?
5. Why didn't L'Amour recommend his way of learning to others?
6. Before L'Amour ended up in Singapore, what were some jobs he had held?
7. What types of hunger had L'Amour known in his life?
8. Describe the steelworker who started following the rails with L'Amour.
9. What were the "Little Blue Books"?
10. Describe the Indian who lived neared the mine L'Amour worked at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, L'Amour described the lives of men who were waiting for jobs at sea. Discuss how men who were unemployed sailors spent their time.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8 L'Amour discussed how writers learn their trade. Discuss L'Amour's view of writing and his efforts to write.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, L'Amour stated that books were valuable and must be preserved. Discuss the value that L'Amour place on books.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)