|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many leghorn chickens were at the mine where L'Amour worked in Chapter 6?
2. At the time of the writing of the book, how long were L'Amour and the Irishman who loaned him money friends?
3. At the time L'Amour wrote the book, at how many universities and colleges had he lectured?
4. Where did Professor Percival Lowell study Mars?
5. What did L'Amour drink after his walk from Death Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of work did L'Amour do in a veneer plant?
2. What was old man Peterson's story?
3. Why did seaman prefer to ship from the west coast?
4. Why did L'Amour say that it was an act of kindness when the Roman soldiers gave Jesus a drink of vinegar on the cross?
5. Describe the Indian who lived neared the mine L'Amour worked at?
6. Who was the man in Chapter 4 who gave L'Amour a ride to Tucson?
7. Why did L'Amour work so many jobs?
8. What was L'Amour's view of education?
9. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
10. What did L'Amour believe that universities provided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 21, after L'Amour listened to a speech where the man stumbled and foundered and everyone suffered with the speaker, L'Amour decided he need to learn how to speak in public. Discuss why and how L'Amour became a public speaker.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss L'Amour mean when he said that t a writer's brain was like a magician's hat.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Chapter 7 is a quote about daring to do hard things. Discuss how L'Amour was a person who didn't hesitate to do hard things.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)