|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sandwiches did L'Amour eat a day when he was saving up to buy books by Russell, Baldwin, and Chase?
2. What did L'Amour drink after his walk from Death Valley?
3. How long was Doubtful Canyon?
4. Who was L'Amour's first employer?
5. How old was L'Amour when he obtained his first job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were bookstores like in Chapter 10?
2. Why didn't the man L'Amour worked for in Chapter 7 work his own mines?
3. What did L'Amour do when he finally got to Barstow after working on a mine claim?
4. Why didn't L'Amour believe that the sites of the battles during the American-Indian wars was a matter of chance?
5. Why didn't L'Amour look for a job right away when he got to Los Angeles?
6. Describe the steelworker who started following the rails with L'Amour.
7. What was L'Amour's view of education?
8. Who was the man in Chapter 4 who gave L'Amour a ride to Tucson?
9. Why didn't L'Amour recommend his way of learning to others?
10. What did L'Amour believe that universities provided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 1-2, L'Amour discusses his childhood. Discuss L'Amour's childhood experiences and how they influenced his life.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, L'Amour drifted down to the sea for a job. Discuss L'Amour's experiences as a seaman.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 22, L'Amour mentioned that he preferred to use primary sources. Discuss the difference between primary and secondary sources and why L'Amour preferred primary sources.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)