|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In September, how high would temperatures get in the desert?
2. Who taught L'Amour how to use a six-shooter?
3. What animal did Cheng Ho bring back from Africa for the emperor's zoo?
4. How long was Doubtful Canyon?
5. How many volumes of books by Alexandre Dumas did L'Amour find on the shelves of the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before L'Amour ended up in Singapore, what were some jobs he had held?
2. What would L'Amour do after being paid for skinning cattle?
3. What did L'Amour do when he finally got to Barstow after working on a mine claim?
4. Why did L'Amour work so many jobs?
5. How did L'Amour describe his life?
6. Describe the steelworker who started following the rails with L'Amour.
7. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
8. What did L'Amour believe that universities provided?
9. What was L'Amour's view of education?
10. Why did L'Amour have to walk from Death Valley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 1-2, L'Amour discusses his childhood. Discuss L'Amour's childhood experiences and how they influenced his life.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, L'Amour drifted down to the sea for a job. Discuss L'Amour's experiences as a seaman.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss L'Amour mean when he said that t a writer's brain was like a magician's hat.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)