|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what fort did Custer's men leave before the Battle at Little Bighorn?
2. How many days was L'Amour supposed to work a claim in Chapter 7?
3. Who was the only author L'Amour knew that wrote about hunger from experience?
4. After L'Amour ate his only can of food, how far was it to the town where he was headed?
5. How old was L'Amour when he met Pete?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
2. What did L'Amour believe that universities provided?
3. Why didn't L'Amour believe that the sites of the battles during the American-Indian wars was a matter of chance?
4. Who were some army officers who wrote about the Indian and his culture?
5. How did L'Amour save himself a lot of hardship?
6. Describe the mine where L'Amour was to be a caretaker.
7. Why did seaman prefer to ship from the west coast?
8. What did L'Amour do when he finally got to Barstow after working on a mine claim?
9. What was L'Amour's view of education?
10. What were the "Little Blue Books"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 22, L'Amour mentioned that he preferred to use primary sources. Discuss the difference between primary and secondary sources and why L'Amour preferred primary sources.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, L'Amour heard many a tale while wandering from job to job. Discuss the tales L'Amour heard and lessons he learned.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, L'Amour stated that books were valuable and must be preserved. Discuss the value that L'Amour place on books.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)