|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After registering with the Marine Services Bureau, how long did L'Amour discover it might take before he would get a job?
2. How long did a boy tell L'Amour that Arabs had been in the East Indies?
3. When did Sun-tzu write about the basic principles of military strategy?
4. How old was L'Amour when he made his first attempt at creative writing?
5. What book of Kipling's did L'Amour buy from Dulfakir?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would L'Amour do after being paid for skinning cattle?
2. Before L'Amour ended up in Singapore, what were some jobs he had held?
3. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
4. What two reasons influenced L'Amour to drop out of school?
5. What did L'Amour believe that universities provided?
6. Why didn't the man L'Amour worked for in Chapter 7 work his own mines?
7. What did L'Amour do when he finally got to Barstow after working on a mine claim?
8. How did Shorty Harris lose a rich claim?
9. Why didn't L'Amour recommend his way of learning to others?
10. Why did L'Amour say that it was an act of kindness when the Roman soldiers gave Jesus a drink of vinegar on the cross?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 16, when L'Amour began dedicating his time to writing, there were three different types of markets for short stories. Discuss the different types of markets there were for short stories.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Chapter 7 is a quote about daring to do hard things. Discuss how L'Amour was a person who didn't hesitate to do hard things.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 25, L'Amour discussed his ranch. Discuss L'Amour's ranch and its value to him.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)