|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Goethe begin writing "Faust"?
2. Who was L'Amour's first employer?
3. About how fast was L'Amour able to walk after he damaged the Model T?
4. How many books and plays did L'Amour read in 1930?
5. How long did the last caretaker of the mine last before he quit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did L'Amour get away from the steelworker who expected L'Amour to take care of him?
2. Who was the man in Chapter 4 who gave L'Amour a ride to Tucson?
3. What were the "Little Blue Books"?
4. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
5. What did L'Amour have to say about plots in stories?
6. Why did L'Amour say that it was an act of kindness when the Roman soldiers gave Jesus a drink of vinegar on the cross?
7. Why didn't L'Amour recommend his way of learning to others?
8. What did L'Amour do when he finally got to Barstow after working on a mine claim?
9. What two reasons influenced L'Amour to drop out of school?
10. What was L'Amour's view of education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8 L'Amour discussed how writers learn their trade. Discuss L'Amour's view of writing and his efforts to write.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, L'Amour commented that all men look, but few can see. Discuss what L'Amour meant by that comment.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 28, L'Amour stated that his book was a record of his search for knowledge. Discuss why the book was a record of L'Amour's search for knowledge.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)