|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was L'Amour's first employer?
2. How many books were in the reading room of the Seaman's Institute?
3. How far did L'Amour travel with his boss when he went to work on a claim in Chapter 7?
4. How many books and plays did L'Amour read in 1930?
5. In Chapter 11, how much did Modern Library editions cost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Pete Petrolle?
2. Describe the steelworker who started following the rails with L'Amour.
3. What would L'Amour do after being paid for skinning cattle?
4. Why did L'Amour have to walk from Death Valley?
5. Describe the mine where L'Amour was to be a caretaker.
6. What did L'Amour have to say about plots in stories?
7. How did Shorty Harris lose a rich claim?
8. Why didn't L'Amour believe that the sites of the battles during the American-Indian wars was a matter of chance?
9. Before L'Amour ended up in Singapore, what were some jobs he had held?
10. How did L'Amour describe his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, L'Amour began riding the rails with other hobos. Compare and contrast some of the men L'Amour met when riding the rails.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, L'Amour described the lives of men who were waiting for jobs at sea. Discuss how men who were unemployed sailors spent their time.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11-12, L'Amour discussed how writers obtained ideas for their writing. Discuss some ways writers obtained ideas for writing.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)