|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Crook fight a battle with the Indians as L'Amour mentioned in Chapter 13?
2. In Chapter 4, where was the machinist from who was headed to a job in El Paso?
3. Where did the shipwreck take place that was written about in Shakespeare's "Tempest"?
4. Where did L'Amour read "Don Juan"?
5. How much gold was L'Amour able to pan when he was at the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who had all the advantages when it comes to adventure?
2. Who were some army officers who wrote about the Indian and his culture?
3. What did L'Amour do when he finally got to Barstow after working on a mine claim?
4. What did L'Amour have to say about plots in stories?
5. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
6. What two reasons influenced L'Amour to drop out of school?
7. What was old man Peterson's story?
8. What was L'Amour's view of education?
9. Why didn't the man L'Amour worked for in Chapter 7 work his own mines?
10. Describe the Indian who lived neared the mine L'Amour worked at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 28, L'Amour stated that his book was a record of his search for knowledge. Discuss why the book was a record of L'Amour's search for knowledge.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, L'Amour began riding the rails with other hobos. Compare and contrast some of the men L'Amour met when riding the rails.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 16, when L'Amour began dedicating his time to writing, there were three different types of markets for short stories. Discuss the different types of markets there were for short stories.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)