|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the magazine that published the first modern stories of science fiction?
2. What author did L'Amour think he might emulate at the end of Chapter 6?
3. In what battle was General George Crook fought to a standstill?
4. How many acres did the home have that L'Amour brought his parents to after they left Oregon?
5. What was the name of the boxing magazine published in St. Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of hunger had L'Amour known in his life?
2. What were the "Little Blue Books"?
3. What did L'Amour believe that universities provided?
4. Why didn't the man L'Amour worked for in Chapter 7 work his own mines?
5. Before L'Amour ended up in Singapore, what were some jobs he had held?
6. Describe the mine where L'Amour was to be a caretaker.
7. Who was Pete Petrolle?
8. Why did L'Amour work so many jobs?
9. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
10. How did Shorty Harris lose a rich claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 28, L'Amour stated that his book was a record of his search for knowledge. Discuss why the book was a record of L'Amour's search for knowledge.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, L'Amour commented that all men look, but few can see. Discuss what L'Amour meant by that comment.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, L'Amour drifted down to the sea for a job. Discuss L'Amour's experiences as a seaman.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)