|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did a boy tell L'Amour that Arabs had been in the East Indies?
2. What did L'Amour use to kill rabbits at his parents' new home?
3. What instrument did Harry Warren (Shorty) play?
4. Where did L'Amour work in a veneer plant?
5. What author did L'Amour think he might emulate at the end of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was L'Amour's view of education?
2. Describe the mine where L'Amour was to be a caretaker.
3. How did L'Amour get away from the steelworker who expected L'Amour to take care of him?
4. Who was Pete Petrolle?
5. Why did L'Amour have to walk from Death Valley?
6. What were the "Little Blue Books"?
7. How did L'Amour save himself a lot of hardship?
8. Why didn't L'Amour believe that the sites of the battles during the American-Indian wars was a matter of chance?
9. What would L'Amour do after being paid for skinning cattle?
10. What type of work did L'Amour do in a veneer plant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, L'Amour proposed that only someone who had learned much could appreciate his ignorance. Discuss why only someone who had learned much could appreciate his ignorance.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, L'Amour explained his views of what an education was and was not. Discuss L'Amour's definition and views of an education.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 25, L'Amour discussed his ranch. Discuss L'Amour's ranch and its value to him.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)