|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall was L'Amour as an adult?
2. When did Crook fight a battle with the Indians as L'Amour mentioned in Chapter 13?
3. On three occasions, how long did L'Amour go without eating anything?
4. How old was L'Amour when he obtained his first job?
5. How many acres did the home have that L'Amour brought his parents to after they left Oregon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before L'Amour ended up in Singapore, what were some jobs he had held?
2. Why didn't L'Amour believe that the sites of the battles during the American-Indian wars was a matter of chance?
3. What two reasons influenced L'Amour to drop out of school?
4. How did L'Amour get away from the steelworker who expected L'Amour to take care of him?
5. What would L'Amour do after being paid for skinning cattle?
6. Who were some army officers who wrote about the Indian and his culture?
7. What types of hunger had L'Amour known in his life?
8. Who was Pete Petrolle?
9. What type of work did L'Amour do in a veneer plant?
10. Who had all the advantages when it comes to adventure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, L'Amour drifted down to the sea for a job. Discuss L'Amour's experiences as a seaman.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, L'Amour commented that all men look, but few can see. Discuss what L'Amour meant by that comment.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, L'Amour described the lives of men who were waiting for jobs at sea. Discuss how men who were unemployed sailors spent their time.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)