|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many leghorn chickens were at the mine where L'Amour worked in Chapter 6?
2. How many volumes of books by Alexandre Dumas did L'Amour find on the shelves of the library?
3. Where did Pete's manager own and operate a cafe?
4. What was the name of the magazine that published the first modern stories of science fiction?
5. At the time L'Amour wrote the book, at how many universities and colleges had he lectured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Indian who lived neared the mine L'Amour worked at?
2. Who was the man in Chapter 4 who gave L'Amour a ride to Tucson?
3. What did L'Amour believe that universities provided?
4. Why did seaman prefer to ship from the west coast?
5. What were the "Little Blue Books"?
6. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
7. Why didn't the man L'Amour worked for in Chapter 7 work his own mines?
8. How did L'Amour get away from the steelworker who expected L'Amour to take care of him?
9. What did L'Amour have to say about plots in stories?
10. How did Shorty Harris lose a rich claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, L'Amour commented that all men look, but few can see. Discuss what L'Amour meant by that comment.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, L'Amour drifted down to the sea for a job. Discuss L'Amour's experiences as a seaman.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 16, when L'Amour began dedicating his time to writing, there were three different types of markets for short stories. Discuss the different types of markets there were for short stories.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)