|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did most of the stories in "Arabian Nights" originate?
2. Near what peak did the Apache that Peterson lived with plan to attack?
3. Where did L'Amour read "Don Juan"?
4. How tall was L'Amour as an adult?
5. How long after Peterson was taken by the Apaches did he partake in a war party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't L'Amour recommend his way of learning to others?
2. Why didn't L'Amour look for a job right away when he got to Los Angeles?
3. Why did L'Amour have to walk from Death Valley?
4. What types of hunger had L'Amour known in his life?
5. Describe the Indian who lived neared the mine L'Amour worked at?
6. Why did L'Amour say that it was an act of kindness when the Roman soldiers gave Jesus a drink of vinegar on the cross?
7. Who was Pete Petrolle?
8. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
9. Describe the steelworker who started following the rails with L'Amour.
10. What did L'Amour do when he finally got to Barstow after working on a mine claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8 L'Amour discussed how writers learn their trade. Discuss L'Amour's view of writing and his efforts to write.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 25, L'Amour discussed his ranch. Discuss L'Amour's ranch and its value to him.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, L'Amour commented that all men look, but few can see. Discuss what L'Amour meant by that comment.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)