|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did L'Amour drink after his walk from Death Valley?
2. Who was the only author L'Amour knew that wrote about hunger from experience?
3. What did L'Amour hit in Chapter 8?
4. Where did Pete's manager own and operate a cafe?
5. Where was Muhammed Dulfakir's shop located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would L'Amour do after being paid for skinning cattle?
2. Why did L'Amour say that it was an act of kindness when the Roman soldiers gave Jesus a drink of vinegar on the cross?
3. What were bookstores like in Chapter 10?
4. How did L'Amour keep from being disappointed by the constant flow of rejection slips he received?
5. Who was Pete Petrolle?
6. Why didn't L'Amour look for a job right away when he got to Los Angeles?
7. What types of hunger had L'Amour known in his life?
8. How did L'Amour describe his life?
9. Why didn't L'Amour believe that the sites of the battles during the American-Indian wars was a matter of chance?
10. Describe the Indian who lived neared the mine L'Amour worked at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 28, L'Amour stated that his book was a record of his search for knowledge. Discuss why the book was a record of L'Amour's search for knowledge.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 21, after L'Amour listened to a speech where the man stumbled and foundered and everyone suffered with the speaker, L'Amour decided he need to learn how to speak in public. Discuss why and how L'Amour became a public speaker.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 16, when L'Amour began dedicating his time to writing, there were three different types of markets for short stories. Discuss the different types of markets there were for short stories.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)