|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did L'Amour believe that a half-caste brother and sister he met in Shanghai died?
2. In what year was L'Amour on a small ship off the Florida coast when a hurricane ripped Miami?
3. What writer did L'Amour say led off fiction about the American frontier?
(a) Captain Charles King.
(b) James Fenimore Cooper.
(c) James W. Steele.
(d) Mayne Reid.
4. What was L'Amour's first motion picture?
(a) Rear Window.
(b) Rebel Without a Cause.
(c) East of Sumatra.
5. When were the Wolfville stories written?
Short Answer Questions
1. In ancient times, how many ships a day might sail from the Red Sea coast of Egypt to India?
2. On the U.S.S. Boise returning from France, where was the boy from who fascinated L'Amour with tales of his experiences in Burma and India?
3. What is the first positive date for China's knowledge of Bali?
4. Who wrote what L'Amour considered to be the best history of Japan?
5. How far did L'Amour have to walk to mail his manuscripts in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the brother and sister L'Amour met in Shanghai.
2. How did L'Amour believe that a people group could be understood?
3. What is the plot of L'Amour's story "The Walking Drum"?
4. Who was John Mackay? .
5. How did L'Amour believe that young people who loitered in the streets or gathered in gangs could find their way in the world?
6. Who was Bodhidharma?
7. After World War II when L'Amour was living in Los Angeles, where would L'Amour often go?
8. How was L'Amour first able to learn the stories from Iran's great Book of Kings?
9. Once L'Amour could no longer find the books he wanted in library, where did he have to find books?
10. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)