|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did L'Amour read by Malcom Rogers?
(a) Ancient Hunters of the Far West.
(b) Conquest of New Mexico and California.
(c) Journey to the Rocky Mountains.
(d) Humboldt to the Pacific.
2. What people group established themselves at Carthage and became a dominant power until destroyed by Rome.
3. What book did L'Amour review that began his study of Africa?
(a) Through the Dark Continent.
(b) How I Found Livingstone.
(c) Out of Africa.
(d) The Africa Background Outlined.
4. Who was one of the regular writers in "The Saturday Evening Post"?
(a) Clarence Budgington Kelland.
(b) Whit Burnett.
(c) H. L. Mencken.
(d) William Saroyan.
5. In California in the 1920s, how long was a boxing bout?
(a) 4 rounds.
(b) 5 rounds.
(c) 3 rounds.
(d) 6 rounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did L'Amour believe the Roman soldiers sold their services and served as mercenaries?
2. Who made up the core of Alexander's army?
3. When were the Wolfville stories written?
4. How old was Dixon when he came west?
5. How old was Fa-hien when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was L'Amour impressed by the memories of Arabs during the Middle Ages?
2. How did L'Amour believe that a people group could be understood?
3. How did L'Amour learn about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
4. Why was infection rare in the earliest days in the mountains?
5. Why did L'Amour believe he should have known better when he thought the U.S.S. Boise would get him home in 4-4 ½ days?
6. What was the New Madrid earthquake?
7. Who was Billy Dixon?
8. Why did L'Amour regret not stealing some books?
9. How did L'Amour meet a man named Gillespie?
10. When L'Amour began his writing career, how did he write?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)