|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal did Cheng Ho bring back from Africa for the emperor's zoo?
2. How long was Doubtful Canyon?
(a) 15 miles.
(b) 3-5 miles.
(c) 8-10 miles.
(d) 9 miles.
3. How many sandwiches did L'Amour eat a day when he was saving up to buy books by Russell, Baldwin, and Chase?
4. What did the old man have in the mine he wanted L'Amour to work in in Chapter 7?
5. How many holes for concrete piers could most men dig?
(a) 2 ½.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did L'Amour eat breakfast with an old man who gave him a ride in Chapter 4?
2. Where did L'Amour go after his suitcase was stolen?
3. When did Crook fight a battle with the Indians as L'Amour mentioned in Chapter 13?
4. Who did L'Amour work out with a few times at the YMCA gym?
5. Who was the only author L'Amour knew that wrote about hunger from experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did L'Amour describe his life?
2. Why was L'Amour impressed by the memories of Arabs during the Middle Ages?
3. What is the plot of L'Amour's story "The Walking Drum"?
4. What did L'Amour believe that universities provided?
5. What did L'Amour remember about reading one cold night in Paris?
6. When L'Amour began his writing career, how did he write?
7. What were the "Little Blue Books"?
8. Who was Pete Petrolle?
9. How did L'Amour save himself a lot of hardship?
10. When L'Amour settled down to write, what three categories was the magazine field divided into?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)