|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did I-Tsing make a pilgrimage to India and the islands to study Buddhism?
(a) 539 A.D.
(b) 345-375 A.D.
(c) 234 A.D.
(d) 672-692 A.D.
2. Who was one of the regular writers in "The Saturday Evening Post"?
(a) William Saroyan.
(b) H. L. Mencken.
(c) Clarence Budgington Kelland.
(d) Whit Burnett.
3. Who wrote "Ancient Geography of India"?
4. To whom did L'Amour believe the Roman soldiers sold their services and served as mercenaries?
5. When did L'Amour believe that the C.C. Brown translation of the "Sejarah Melayu" was written?
6. When were the Wolfville stories written?
7. Who was one of the millionaires of the Comstock Lode that L'Amour said walked into Virginia City broken and left with $200 million?
(a) Peter O'Riley.
(b) Pat McLaughlin.
(c) John Mackay.
(d) Emanuel Penrod.
8. How old did Chris Madsen live to be?
(b) About 80.
(d) Over 90.
9. What writer did L'Amour say led off fiction about the American frontier?
(a) James W. Steele.
(b) James Fenimore Cooper.
(c) Mayne Reid.
(d) Captain Charles King.
10. On one (and possibly) three sides of L'Amour's family, how many generations have been in America?
11. How many texts did Kumarajiva translate from Sanskrit into Chinese?
(b) About 200.
(d) More than 100.
12. How large is the desert of Taklamakan?
(a) Size of Oklahoma and Texas combined.
(b) Size of Alaska.
(c) Size of Montana and Wyoming combined.
(d) Size of California.
13. Who made up the core of Alexander's army?
14. In California in the 1920s, how long was a boxing bout?
(a) 5 rounds.
(b) 3 rounds.
(c) 6 rounds.
(d) 4 rounds.
15. What book did L'Amour mention that was a somewhat pornographic Chinese novel?
(a) Chin P'ing Mei.
(b) The Water Margin.
(c) Dream of the Red Chamber.
(d) Saving a Prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Navajo artist whose painting appeared on L'Amour's book, "The Haunted Mesa"?
2. Was the the name of L'Amour's first novel?
3. Whose translation of the Shah-nama did L'Amour prefer?
4. How many years did it take for Flaubert to complete "Madame Bovary"?
5. Who wrote "The Mississippi Valley Frontier"?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)