|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did it usually take the U.S.S. Boise to travel from Europe to the U.S.?
(a) 4-4 ½ days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 5-6 days.
(d) 10 days.
2. What book did L'Amour review that began his study of Africa?
(a) Through the Dark Continent.
(b) How I Found Livingstone.
(c) The Africa Background Outlined.
(d) Out of Africa.
3. What writer and naturalist was on the spot when the New Madrid earthquake happened?
4. Who wrote "Ancient Geography of India"?
5. What languages did the man speak in addition to his native tongue who told L'Amour about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
(a) German and Russian.
(b) English and Portuguese.
(c) Spanish, English, and Russian.
(d) English, French, and German.
6. What Chinese dynasty did L'Amour believe was one of the most glorious? .
7. When did I-Tsing make a pilgrimage to India and the islands to study Buddhism?
(a) 345-375 A.D.
(b) 234 A.D.
(c) 672-692 A.D.
(d) 539 A.D.
8. What was the name of the small railroad that L'Amour would take to the wilderness area of Sycamore Canyon in Arizona?
(b) Pacific Northern.
9. What writer did L'Amour say led off fiction about the American frontier?
(a) James W. Steele.
(b) Mayne Reid.
(c) James Fenimore Cooper.
(d) Captain Charles King.
10. In California in the 1920s, how long was a boxing bout?
(a) 6 rounds.
(b) 3 rounds.
(c) 4 rounds.
(d) 5 rounds.
11. Where was the small journal published that published some of L'Amour's poetry in Chapter 15?
(b) Simpson College.
(c) Emory University.
12. On the U.S.S. Boise returning from France, where was the boy from who fascinated L'Amour with tales of his experiences in Burma and India?
13. How much did Singapore Charlie weigh?
(a) 250 pounds.
(b) 280 pounds.
(c) 300 pounds.
(d) 95 pounds.
14. On what Indian reservation was Mancos Canyon located?
15. Who wrote the quotation at the beginning of Chapter 25?
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did L'Amour read by Malcom Rogers?
2. Who was one of the regular writers in "The Saturday Evening Post"?
3. How many years did it take for Flaubert to complete "Madame Bovary"?
4. Where did L'Amour read "Taras Bulba"?
5. How long was the sailing season from Egypt to India?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)