|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did David Buxton write that L'Amour read?
(a) Travels in Ethiopia.
(b) The Mountains of Rasseles.
(c) A Short History of South Africa.
(d) South Africa.
2. In what desert did L'Amour believe that the remains of an ancient civilization might be discovered?
3. How many boys in L'Amour's Golden Gloves boxing team became novice champions in their divisions?
4. How long was the sailing season from Egypt to India?
(a) 180 days.
(b) 90 days.
(c) 200 days.
(d) 120 days.
5. Where did L'Amour read "Taras Bulba"?
6. What people group established themselves at Carthage and became a dominant power until destroyed by Rome.
7. At the end of Chapter 22, what country did L'Amour mention that was invaded many times, but never invaded anyone?
8. While L'Amour was studying the Far East, how many books did he read in a year on the American West?
9. Where did L'Amour believe that a half-caste brother and sister he met in Shanghai died?
10. Who was the Navajo artist whose painting appeared on L'Amour's book, "The Haunted Mesa"?
(a) Urshel Taylor.
(b) Cliff Brycelea.
(c) Jerome Bushyhead.
(d) Dana Tiger.
11. In what year was L'Amour on a small ship off the Florida coast when a hurricane ripped Miami?
12. How much did Singapore Charlie weigh?
(a) 250 pounds.
(b) 300 pounds.
(c) 95 pounds.
(d) 280 pounds.
13. Whose translation of the Shah-nama did L'Amour prefer?
(a) William Wright.
(b) Andrew Barett.
(c) Peter Davidson.
(d) Reuben Levy.
14. Where did L'Amour read "Burning Daylight"?
(a) While working at an old mine.
(b) While working at a factory.
(c) On a boat in Asia.
(d) On a bus traveling through Texas.
15. Who wrote "Ancient Geography of India"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the small railroad that L'Amour would take to the wilderness area of Sycamore Canyon in Arizona?
2. What writer and naturalist was on the spot when the New Madrid earthquake happened?
3. When did I-Tsing make a pilgrimage to India and the islands to study Buddhism?
4. Who wrote "The Army of the Future"?
5. Who wrote "The Mississippi Valley Frontier"?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)