|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What languages did the man speak in addition to his native tongue who told L'Amour about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
(a) Spanish, English, and Russian.
(b) English, French, and German.
(c) German and Russian.
(d) English and Portuguese.
2. Who was one of the millionaires of the Comstock Lode that L'Amour said walked into Virginia City broken and left with $200 million?
(a) Pat McLaughlin.
(b) John Mackay.
(c) Peter O'Riley.
(d) Emanuel Penrod.
3. At the end of Chapter 22, what country did L'Amour mention that was invaded many times, but never invaded anyone?
4. What city was Oak Creek Canyon near?
5. What book did L'Amour review that began his study of Africa?
(a) Out of Africa.
(b) Through the Dark Continent.
(c) The Africa Background Outlined.
(d) How I Found Livingstone.
6. In ancient times, how many ships a day might sail from the Red Sea coast of Egypt to India?
7. Who wrote what L'Amour considered to be the best history of Japan?
(a) Charles Terry.
(b) Robert Wyatt.
(c) George Sansom.
(d) David Hampton.
8. What was the name of the author who went to high school in L'Amour's hometown?
(a) E. E. Kellett.
(b) Louis MacNeice.
(c) Maxwell Anderson.
(d) W. H. Auden.
9. In what year was L'Amour on a small ship off the Florida coast when a hurricane ripped Miami?
10. What writer did L'Amour say led off fiction about the American frontier?
(a) Mayne Reid.
(b) Captain Charles King.
(c) James Fenimore Cooper.
(d) James W. Steele.
11. Where did L'Amour read "Burning Daylight"?
(a) On a bus traveling through Texas.
(b) While working at a factory.
(c) While working at an old mine.
(d) On a boat in Asia.
12. How old was Fa-hien when he died?
13. How old did Chris Madsen live to be?
(c) Over 90.
(d) About 80.
14. What is the first positive date for China's knowledge of Bali?
15. Who made up the core of Alexander's army?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bronze stars was L'Amour awarded?
2. To whom did L'Amour believe the Roman soldiers sold their services and served as mercenaries?
3. Who wrote a law book that was the key to much western law?
4. When did L'Amour believe that the C.C. Brown translation of the "Sejarah Melayu" was written?
5. How many texts did Kumarajiva translate from Sanskrit into Chinese?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)