|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made up the core of Alexander's army?
2. When were the Wolfville stories written?
3. How old was Dixon when he came west?
4. Who wrote what L'Amour considered to be the best history of Japan?
(a) Robert Wyatt.
(b) David Hampton.
(c) George Sansom.
(d) Charles Terry.
5. Who was one of the regular writers in "The Saturday Evening Post"?
(a) Clarence Budgington Kelland.
(b) H. L. Mencken.
(c) William Saroyan.
(d) Whit Burnett.
6. Where was the small journal published that published some of L'Amour's poetry in Chapter 15?
(b) Emory University.
(c) Simpson College.
7. What Chinese dynasty did L'Amour believe was one of the most glorious? .
8. Where did L'Amour attend Officers' Candidate School?
(a) Fort Bliss.
(b) Fort Worth.
(c) Camp Hood.
(d) Camp Robinson.
9. How old did Chris Madsen live to be?
(c) Over 90.
(d) About 80.
10. How many years did it take for Flaubert to complete "Madame Bovary"?
11. While L'Amour was studying the Far East, how many books did he read in a year on the American West?
12. What book did L'Amour mention that was a somewhat pornographic Chinese novel?
(a) Dream of the Red Chamber.
(b) Saving a Prostitute.
(c) Chin P'ing Mei.
(d) The Water Margin.
13. Who was one of the millionaires of the Comstock Lode that L'Amour said walked into Virginia City broken and left with $200 million?
(a) Emanuel Penrod.
(b) John Mackay.
(c) Pat McLaughlin.
(d) Peter O'Riley.
14. At the end of Chapter 22, what country did L'Amour mention that was invaded many times, but never invaded anyone?
15. In what region did many of the black empires exist?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Professor Walter Campbell's pen name?
2. How many short stories had L'Amour written when his first novel was published?
3. What people group established themselves at Carthage and became a dominant power until destroyed by Rome.
4. What was the name of the only other ship that made the crossing during the storm L'Amour encountered on the Boise?
5. What was the name of the author who went to high school in L'Amour's hometown?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)