|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did L'Amour review that began his study of Africa?
(a) Out of Africa.
(b) The Africa Background Outlined.
(c) How I Found Livingstone.
(d) Through the Dark Continent.
2. How long was the sailing season from Egypt to India?
(a) 180 days.
(b) 90 days.
(c) 200 days.
(d) 120 days.
3. When did L'Amour sell his first short story for cash?
4. At the end of Chapter 22, what country did L'Amour mention that was invaded many times, but never invaded anyone?
5. Who wrote "The Army of the Future"?
(d) De Gaulle.
6. How old did Chris Madsen live to be?
(c) About 80.
(d) Over 90.
7. Was the the name of L'Amour's first novel?
(a) Borden Chantry.
(b) Kid Rodelo.
(d) Westward the Tide.
8. What book did L'Amour mention that was a somewhat pornographic Chinese novel?
(a) Dream of the Red Chamber.
(b) Chin P'ing Mei.
(c) Saving a Prostitute.
(d) The Water Margin.
9. Who was the main character of L'Amour's novel "The Walking Drum"?
(b) William Tell Sackett.
10. What Chinese dynasty did L'Amour believe was one of the most glorious? .
11. In what desert did L'Amour believe that the remains of an ancient civilization might be discovered?
12. On one (and possibly) three sides of L'Amour's family, how many generations have been in America?
13. How old was Fa-hien when he died?
14. What desert did a part of five monks travel through in A.D. 399?
15. Where did L'Amour read "Burning Daylight"?
(a) While working at an old mine.
(b) On a bus traveling through Texas.
(c) On a boat in Asia.
(d) While working at a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country western singer visited Mesa Verde with L'Amour and his family?
2. In ancient times, how many ships a day might sail from the Red Sea coast of Egypt to India?
3. How much did Singapore Charlie weigh?
4. How many days did it take when L'Amour and his fellow officers traveled on the U.S.S. Boise to get from Europe to the U.S. .
5. When did the Rev. Andrew Burnaby write "Through the Middle Settlements of North America"?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)