|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what distance did Billy Dixon shoot an Indian off his horse?
(a) 3/4 of a mile.
(b) ⅞ of a mile.
(c) 1 mile.
(d) 1/2 a mile.
2. What country was Chris Madsen from?
3. In what year was L'Amour on a small ship off the Florida coast when a hurricane ripped Miami?
4. What languages did the man speak in addition to his native tongue who told L'Amour about the "Sejarah Melayu"?
(a) German and Russian.
(b) English and Portuguese.
(c) English, French, and German.
(d) Spanish, English, and Russian.
5. How many days did it take when L'Amour and his fellow officers traveled on the U.S.S. Boise to get from Europe to the U.S. .
(a) 10 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 16 days
(d) 8 days.
6. Who was one of the millionaires of the Comstock Lode that L'Amour said walked into Virginia City broken and left with $200 million?
(a) Emanuel Penrod.
(b) Peter O'Riley.
(c) John Mackay.
(d) Pat McLaughlin.
7. What writer did L'Amour say led off fiction about the American frontier?
(a) James W. Steele.
(b) Mayne Reid.
(c) James Fenimore Cooper.
(d) Captain Charles King.
8. While L'Amour was studying the Far East, how many books did he read in a year on the American West?
9. Who was the main character of L'Amour's novel "The Walking Drum"?
(d) William Tell Sackett.
10. What was the latest date on a collect of eight or ten books of ancient maps that L'Amour viewed at a chateau on the outskirts of Paris?
11. Who wrote a law book that was the key to much western law?
12. How old did Chris Madsen live to be?
(a) Over 90.
(d) About 80.
13. Who was the black king of Haiti?
(a) Henri Christophe. .
(b) Emile Nau.
(c) Georges Anglade.
(d) Leon Laleau.
14. Who wrote the quotation at the beginning of Chapter 25?
15. What book did L'Amour mention that was a somewhat pornographic Chinese novel?
(a) The Water Margin.
(b) Chin P'ing Mei.
(c) Saving a Prostitute.
(d) Dream of the Red Chamber.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boys in L'Amour's Golden Gloves boxing team became novice champions in their divisions?
2. What book did David Buxton write that L'Amour read?
3. Where did L'Amour believe that a half-caste brother and sister he met in Shanghai died?
4. How wide was the Hole-in-the-Wall in Wyoming?
5. What was the name of the small railroad that L'Amour would take to the wilderness area of Sycamore Canyon in Arizona?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)