|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book of Kipling's did L'Amour buy from Dulfakir?
(a) The Jungle Book.
(b) Departmental Ditties.
(c) The Elephant's Child.
(d) Just So Stories.
2. How many books and plays did L'Amour read in 1930?
3. How many white men died in the stagecoach attack that Peterson described?
4. How many holes for concrete piers could most men dig?
(d) 2 ½.
5. What instrument did Harry Warren (Shorty) play?
6. How many books did L'Amour have in his personal library?
7. Where did L'Amour go to high school?
(a) South Dakota.
(c) North Dakota.
8. What was the usual occupation of the last man who tried to stay at the mine?
9. Where did L'Amour read "Don Juan"?
(a) In a library.
(b) In a restaurant.
(c) On a beach.
(d) On an Arab dhow.
10. How fast would a camel travel?
(a) 10 mph.
(b) 2 ½ to 3 mph.
(c) 4 mph.
(d) 1 to 2 mph.
11. After registering with the Marine Services Bureau, how long did L'Amour discover it might take before he would get a job?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 8 weeks.
(d) 3 months.
12. What author did L'Amour think he might emulate at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Earnest Hemingway.
(b) James Fennimore Cooper.
(c) Joseph Conrad.
(d) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
13. Where did most of the stories in "Arabian Nights" originate?
14. How much did "Little Blue Books" cost?
(a) 25 cents.
(b) 5 or 10 cents.
(c) 10 or 15 cents.
(d) 50 cents.
15. Where had L'Amour planned to go after he got his parents settled? .
(a) New York.
(b) New Orleans
(d) San Diego.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book by Jack London prepared L'Amour for rejection?
2. When did Crook fight a battle with the Indians as L'Amour mentioned in Chapter 13?
3. In what mountains was the claim where L'Amour worked in Chapter 7?
4. When did Sun-tzu write about the basic principles of military strategy?
5. What animal did Cheng Ho bring back from Africa for the emperor's zoo?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)