|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Pages 149 through 165.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(b) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(c) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(d) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
2. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(a) Miss Clark.
(b) Ms. Coil.
(c) Ms. Federman.
3. Why doesn't Mr. Turner initially want to suspend B. B.?
(a) Mr. Turner happens to be friends with B. B.'s father.
(b) Mr. Turner wishes to expel B. B. and only reluctantly agrees to the lesser punishment.
(c) He believes that at-risk blacks should be given a break, given their circumstances.
(d) B. B. has otherwise been an exemplary student, and his misbehavior is isolated.
4. What is Mr. Turner's criticism of the Storyteller Festival?
(a) Codell is exploring race relations with the chosen stories, which is too adult a matter to deal with.
(b) The students don't seem involved, and Codell should probably have chosen better stories.
(c) It is rowdy, and probably should have been held in the commons area and not the library.
(d) The stories chosen are much too long.
5. How does Ms. Coil criticize Codell's teaching of Native Americans.
(a) Ms. Coil believes fifth-graders are too old to dress up in Native American costumes.
(b) Ms. Coil believes having a "powwow" stereotypes Native American culture.
(c) Codell only teaches about one tribe, and Ms. Coil prefers a broader approach.
(d) Ms. Coil is angry for not being informed about a field trip to the Native American History Museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Codell's approach to disciplining children?
2. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
3. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
4. Who brings her two-year-old brother to school one day?
5. Where does Codell take her students on January 20?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)