|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinguished position did Theodore Sedgwick eventually reach in his career?
2. What is Babbo Sedgwick said to have liked to read?
3. While speaking about her family's life in California, what term does Saucie use to describe her parents?
4. How is Babbo's outlook on life described by his family members?
5. Which of the following was a sign that life had changed for the Sedgwicks when they moved to their third home in California?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Edie behave at St. Timothy's school?
2. How did life change for the Sedgwicks when they moved to their third ranch, Rancho la Laguna de San Francisco?
3. What was Francis's response when Groton decided to start admitting black students?
4. What conversation does Saucie recall having with Edie in 1960 after she had left St. Timothy's?
5. What does Saucie recall about her rebelliousness as a young woman?
6. What troubles did Edie's brother Minty have in his short life?
7. In the book, what do the Sedgwick children share about their father's infidelities?
8. What impression does Jane Wilson share about Edie as a child?
9. Who did Edie keep in her company when she moved to Cambridge in 1963?
10. How did the Sedgwick-Minturn legacy begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the biography Edie, An American Biography. Is the ending surprising or shocking? What tone does the conclusion have? How does it make the reader feel? Describe the end of Edie's life. Is this a tragic ending? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Edie's turn as a model in the 1960's fashion world. What were the trends of the era, and in what way was Edie a symbol of the fashion of this era? What was Edie's relationship with Vogue? How and why did this relationship end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Edie's turn as an actress. What films did she appear in, and how were these films received? Was she a talented actress? Did she take her acting seriously? Describe her experience while filming Ciao! Manhattan.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)