|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many acres was the new property that the Sedgwicks bought in the 1950s?
2. What is the first name of Francis Sedgwick's daughter who was nicknamed "Saucie"?
3. In what year was Edie Sedgwick born?
4. What was the occupation of Edie's ancestor, Theodore Sedgewick?
5. In the book, Edie: An American Biography who helps to tell the story of the Sedgwick ancestors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the intended purpose of the circular burial of Sedgwicks around Judge's Theodore Sedgwick's tomb?
2. What effect did oil money have on the Sedgwicks in the 1950s?
3. What was Francis's response when Groton decided to start admitting black students?
4. What are Saucie's memories of living in the family's Goleta ranch?
5. What story is provided as an example of the amount of pressure Francis put upon his children?
6. What impression does Jane Wilson share about Edie as a child?
7. How did life change for the Sedgwicks when they moved to their third ranch, Rancho la Laguna de San Francisco?
8. Describe "Bobbo" Sedgwick.
9. What reason is given for the number of children Francis and Alice had together?
10. What experiences did Edie have in psychiatric hospitals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the biography Edie, An American Biography. Is the ending surprising or shocking? What tone does the conclusion have? How does it make the reader feel? Describe the end of Edie's life. Is this a tragic ending? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Edie's personality. What character traits would you attribute to her? Does her personality change drastically throughout the text? If so, why do you think this is?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Edie's siblings. What were her relationships like with them? What struggles did they face? Was there a connection between the issues they dealt with and the issues that Edie dealt with?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)