|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease did Edie suffer from which led to her being taken out of boarding school?
2. What example does Saucie use to illustrate her feeling that Edie got everything she wanted?
3. In which European city did Edie and Francis have a fight in a hotel room?
4. What reason is suggested for the large number of children Alice and Francis had together?
5. How many children did Francis Sedgwick have with his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Judge Theodore Sedgwick's unusual burial site.
2. What does Saucie recall about her rebelliousness as a young woman?
3. Who is the first Sedgwick on record?
4. What was Francis's response when Groton decided to start admitting black students?
5. What story is provided as an example of the amount of pressure Francis put upon his children?
6. Where did Judge Theodore Sedgwick's family settle?
7. What reason is given for the number of children Francis and Alice had together?
8. What are Saucie's memories of living in the family's Goleta ranch?
9. How did the Sedgwick-Minturn legacy begin?
10. Why is it important for the reader to know about Edie Sedgwick's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Edie's childhood. What was the family dynamic like living on the ranch? What events took place during Edie's childhood which may have affected her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Edie's parents and her relationship with them. Describe Francis Sedgwick. What was his relationship like with his children? Was he to blame for their psychological problems? Why or why not? Describe Alice Sedgwick. What was her relationship like with her children? How did she deal with her husband's infidelities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Edie and her rise to stardom. How did she handle her new found celebrity? How did she become so famous and what was she famous for? How was she viewed in the public eye?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)